Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 07:41   #421
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Hi, my 4.5 year old Getz CRDi needs an upgrade for 2 tyres as only two have worn out and two are fine

I know this might sound strange but, I've shown the tyres to several different people not limited to tyre shop experts and all of them have said the same that 2 of the tyres need replacement and 2 are perfectly fine.

Now, currently the gyres are good years tubeless 185 65 14, DuraPlus (or gps 2, not sure), people have recommended either Bridgestone (not sure of the variant name or number) or Michelin xm2 or Yokohama a drive in the same size for the front and the old but perfectly fine types to be fitted at the rear, need suggestions

Price quoted at 'wheels' outer ring road paschim vihar, Delhi is

A drive 4400
Bridgestone 4450
Xm2 5000

Bargaining yet to be done and he was willing to reduce the rates and give a best price.

P.S. - I'm not willing to travel very far for the tyres and more or less have shortlisted the retailer.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:56   #422
BHPian

@vishalchaudhary: give the XM2 a chance, you'll love it.
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 12:20   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post

A drive 4400
Bridgestone 4450
Xm2 5000
I guess looking at the price difference A-Drives will be the best bet. The XM2's aren't really massively better or have any special attributes compared to the A-Drives in the real world. XM2's are too expensive I feel.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 15:23   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Hi, my 4.5 year old Getz CRDi needs an upgrade for 2 tyres as only two have worn out and two are fine

I know this might sound strange but, I've shown the tyres to several different people not limited to tyre shop experts and all of them have said the same that 2 of the tyres need replacement and 2 are perfectly fine.

Now, currently the gyres are good years tubeless 185 65 14, DuraPlus (or gps 2, not sure), people have recommended either Bridgestone (not sure of the variant name or number) or Michelin xm2 or Yokohama a drive in the same size for the front and the old but perfectly fine types to be fitted at the rear, need suggestions

Price quoted at 'wheels' outer ring road paschim vihar, Delhi is

A drive 4400
Bridgestone 4450
Xm2 5000

Bargaining yet to be done and he was willing to reduce the rates and give a best price.

P.S. - I'm not willing to travel very far for the tyres and more or less have shortlisted the retailer.
Wheels is a good place. If you can splurge, get the XM2. It is a very good tyre. However, there is nothing wrong with the A Drive either and it's a very good tyre for it's price.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:30   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Wheels is a good place.
Well,

The update is - I got 2 tyres of Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 size 185/65 R 14 that have been shod at the front, from Wheels, Outer Ring Road, Opposite to Radisson Blu Paschim Vihar, New Delhi.

Got complimentary wheel balancing and alignment and nitrogen top up as well for the other 2 tyres.

Decision was made not on the basis of price but perception of my own and suggestion of the manager there, he's great. And when I mentioned TBHP he described about another TBHPian who lives in the vicinity - In or near Bhera Enclave, has a lancer with either Yokohama or Michelin tyres, but I don't recall the name he said, so it'll be great if I can get more clues, or if that TBHPian can identify himself !

And because of the knowledge I've gained from TBHP, I checked the week of manufacture as well, it's the 49th week of 2013, I guess it's good as the tyres are hardly a month old.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 5th January 2014 at 23:35. Reason: Added Text
vishalchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:23   #426
Senior - BHPian

Just rotated XM2 tyres after completing 6K Kms on my Innova. Here is tread depth of all 5 tyres. Outer edge of front tyres has worn more compared to inner edge. I have carried out wheel alignment, hope tyre wear would be uniform henceforth.

I have posted tyre review in Innova tyres thread.

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-tyrewear6k.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 10:59   #427
BHPian

The XM2 are available online on snapdeal.com pretty cheap compared to local stores 5265 vs 5800 in stores in Chennai. Anyone have experience buying at snapdeal and how does one determine what is year and month of manufacture of the tyres they sell? They do not seem to have online chat or phone sale...
Old 15th January 2014, 11:34   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Just rotated XM2 tyres after completing 6K Kms on my Innova. Here is tread depth of all 5 tyres. Outer edge of front tyres has worn more compared to inner edge. I have carried out wheel alignment, hope tyre wear would be uniform henceforth.

I have posted tyre review in Innova tyres thread.
How did you measure the tread depth so accurately? Just curious to know
Old 15th January 2014, 13:33   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How did you measure the tread depth so accurately?
I use a vernier caliper to measure tread depth. I had bought it initially to measure hub diameter of alloy wheel but now use it to measure tread depth.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 19:50   #430
BHPian

Update on my XM2s which I picked up last year!

Did some long distance driving from Hyderabad to Mumbai in October and then another Hyderabad to Bangalore trip for New Year. Just to confirm these are great tyres - highway driving on the 4 lanes highways was just incredible. My Innova was faster, smoother and always in great control even at 150 plus. Above 150 I could sense a slight "sliding" on curves on my rear left tyre for some reason.

The drive to Hyderabad to Mumbai and back had some pretty miserable stretches of road (mostly just aggregate on some parts) which the tyres soaked up quite nicely. On the black tops they were just smooth and easy.

On my return trip from Bangalore, I had noticed low pressure on my rear left tyre on the night before. Filled up air just before leaving but still couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. Refilled air and did a tyre pressure check near Ananthpur and set off. Reached Hyderabad safely. Two days later my driver told me that the rear left tyre was flat and had two nails in them!

Probably just luck but all I can say is that I am very happy with my XM2s!
Highly recommend them to anybody looking for a good set of tyres.
nikhil.nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 08:51   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
rear left tyre was flat and had two nails in them!

Probably just luck but all I can say is that I am very happy with my XM2s!
Highly recommend them to anybody looking for a good set of tyres.
Initially I too dismissed the two times puncturing of my new XM2 within 10K KMs as luck, but now as more & more people are reporting this puncture issue, I am kind of sure that it is not luck. The softer XM2 tend to give in to the bad roads comparatively easily.

In all other respects(grip/braking/comfort) the tyres are simply great.
Maybe the XM3 series (if launched) will solve this issue too. Just like XM2 solved the softer side walls issue of XM1+.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 10:36   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you can splurge, get the XM2. It is a very good tyre.
I replaced the stock 36K old MRF ZV2K tyres on my Fiesta with Michelin XM2 and completed a 2000 KMs trip. Extremely happy with the performance - Low noise and comfort. Used it in bad roads and expressways.

I replaced it at Madhus enterprises after consulting Nikhil.

Last edited by pramodpk : 16th January 2014 at 10:38.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:38   #433
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure whether this is the right place for this but anyway.
I have a Corolla 2007 which came with Bridgestone. Replaced them in 2010 with 46K of usage with potential for some more.
Bought Michelin Primacy LC in May 2010 as a replacement.
While Michelin are good, I do not think they last as long.
On the weekend had to replace Michelin. They were cut up in various places after 31K of use. In fact prior to the replacement had to get one Michelin tyre repaired by inserting a tube.
Bought Bridgestone again on Friday 31-1-2014 for 22K.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 16:28   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Shifted to XM2 for my Alto some 5K KM's back. Extremely satisfied with the ride quality and grip compared to previous Bridgestone.
Was initially bit worried if the side walls will give up in bad roads, had taken few hits till now without any issues.
Only issue I had faced is the tyre tends to loose grip on road surface with large amount of tar, like in junctions which has huge truck traffic causing roads to be uneven.
This makes me worried how the wet surface grip will be.
Are these stock size tires? Where did you buy from and how much did you pay?
Old 24th March 2014, 17:10   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Are these stock size tires? Where did you buy from and how much did you pay?
Yes. Stock size ones. I got from Madhus near Richmond circle. 4 tyres + balancing + alignment + weights + valves cost me 12 K. This was in AUG or SEP 2013.
Update is that I completed 10K KM's on the new set, ride quality and grip as I mentioned is real good. However had two punctures in this time. Both were due to nails, so not sure if I would have been able to avoid the same in another tyre; though in the previous 20K Kms I did on Bridgestones had only one puncture.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks