Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:31   #121
Geo
BHPian

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Can any of the owners who have retained stock tyres comment about their performance? Do they give any issues in regular city drive? Do they give stability/breaking/security issues while highway driving? Are they okay in the upto 100 to 120 kmph range?
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:13   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Can any of the owners who have retained stock tyres comment about their performance? Do they give any issues in regular city drive? Do they give stability/breaking/security issues while highway driving? Are they okay in the upto 100 to 120 kmph range?
You will probably not notice any change while in the city. At highway speeds a wider tyre will give you better stability and grip especially while braking.

Also keep in mind Honda would have tested extensively with the stock tyres and they would (hopefully) be fine in almost all driving conditions.
Old 4th June 2014, 09:28   #123
BHPian

I needed some clarification here. I changed my 2014 SV CVT Honda City stock tyres to 195/60R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST and this includes the spare as well. As the tyre is wider, when I place the same in the boot, the cardboard/boot cover stays a bit raised from the centre (where the tyre is). Now, if I load by boot with all luggage, I'm sure the pressure would be more on this side walls of this wider tyre compared to the stock. Is there a risk of damaging the tyre over time this way? I somehow noticed this recently only so brining it up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoB View Post
You will probably not notice any change while in the city. At highway speeds a wider tyre will give you better stability and grip especially while braking.

Also keep in mind Honda would have tested extensively with the stock tyres and they would (hopefully) be fine in almost all driving conditions.
Actually it depends on the tyre you are trying to change to. When I moved from stock tyres to Michelin P3ST 195/60R15, I could feel the difference in the city as well. The tyres are silent and the ride is much more comfortable when going over uneven roads.

I agree the stock tyres should be fine for most but Honda's focus might have been on FE else I would have expected them to give at least a 185 width tyres. That said, I don't think there is a big drop in FE when you go for wider tyres and the stability/safety it gives is worth it.

The warranty of certain parts (suspension for example) getting voided (which is not confirmed) is something that can keep buyers to stick to stock tyres till warranty expires
Old 5th June 2014, 10:12   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I needed some clarification here. I changed my 2014 SV CVT Honda City stock tyres to 195/60R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST and this includes the spare as well. As the tyre is wider, when I place the same in the boot, the cardboard/boot cover stays a bit raised from the centre (where the tyre is). Now, if I load by boot with all luggage, I'm sure the pressure would be more on this side walls of this wider tyre compared to the stock. Is there a risk of damaging the tyre over time this way? I somehow noticed this recently only so brining it up now.

Dont worry! The tyre will be safe. Nothing will happen to it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 10:33   #125
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I will be getting my Honda City VX Diesel soon and plan to upgrade the tyres right out of the showroom. I am highly confused between the Michelin XM2 and Michelin P3ST. My requirements in order of importance are
  1. Better ride quality at low speeds (as compared to stock)
  2. A tyre which need not get punctured frequently. (my previous experience with michelin has been "lots of punctured tyres")
  3. No major change in fuel economy since I would be going for broader tyres (195/60)
  4. Ideal life span of 45-50k kms on Mumbai Roads. (managed 50k kms with all my previous set of tyres i.e. Goodyear, JK, Bridgestone)
  5. I am ok if the tyre is as noisy as stock.

Which among the 2 Michelin products will fit my requirement criteria best? Expert advice needed.
Old 20th June 2014, 12:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Hi Guys,

I will be getting my Honda City VX Diesel soon and plan to upgrade the tyres right out of the showroom. I am highly confused between the Michelin XM2 and Michelin P3ST. My requirements in order of importance are
  2. A tyre which need not get punctured frequently. (my previous experience with michelin has been "lots of punctured tyres")
  3. No major change in fuel economy since I would be going for broader tyres (195/60)
  4. Ideal life span of 45-50k kms on Mumbai Roads. (managed 50k kms with all my previous set of tyres i.e. Goodyear, JK, Bridgestone)

Which among the 2 Michelin products will fit my requirement criteria best? Expert advice needed.
If those are your priorities I am not sure why you would want to replace your tyres Surely, Honda would have tested their products with the tyres that they would provide. A wider tyre would only help you get better grip at high speeds and managing curves at moderate to high speeds. No low speed difference IMHO. A taller tyre would in contrast help you with some better ground clearance may be but I don't think that is in your priority. Just wondering why you would change the stocks
Old 20th June 2014, 13:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I think the XM2 fits the bill for you. The XM2 is marketed as the tire for better mileage and longevity while P3ST is for lower noise, better braking/grip and ride quality.
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:00   #128

Dear All,
I have changed to Michelin XM2 195/60-15 from standard OEM after crossing 50000 Kms. Long Drive comfort was awesome. Successfully made one puncture too :(. I have a doubt in filling the air pressure (PSI) in tyre. Company has recommended to fill 32 psi in front and 30 at rear. Can I follow the same for this tyre or I can go for one or two points of extra psi? Why I have raised this point is when I get the tyres filled with company specs it seems to be mildly under inflated. Appreciate if someone could clear my doubt.
Regards,
Ashwin
Old 24th June 2014, 20:29   #129
BHPian

We have booked the iDtec V. My driving is 1500 km a month with 50% on highway. Not sure about upgrading tyres and risk warranty issues. But can and should I change to say Michellin of same size. In my SX4, i changed stock tyres to Michellins after they were worn out (at 52k kms) and find them very good. Does it make sense to do that in a new car?
Old 24th June 2014, 21:12   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.raj80 View Post
Dear All,

I have changed to Michelin XM2 195/60-15 from standard OEM after crossing 50000 Kms. Long Drive comfort was awesome. Successfully made one puncture too :(. I have a doubt in filling the air pressure (PSI) in tyre. Company has recommended to fill 32 psi in front and 30 at rear. Can I follow the same for this tyre or I can go for one or two points of extra psi? Why I have raised this point is when I get the tyres filled with company specs it seems to be mildly under inflated. Appreciate if someone could clear my doubt.

Regards,

Ashwin

I think your wider tires will need slightly more air to be filled in them. I also have upgraded to 195/60 in my Amaze diesel from the useless 175/65 cycle tires. I fill 2 psi more than what Honda asks for the OEM tires.

Same way with my earlier cars, maintaining same pressures with wider than OEM tires have resulted in damaged alloy rims / tire side walls.

I am also surprised to see a few posts in other threads which actually mention about lowering psi on wider tires. Lower tire pressures in today's cars could be asking for trouble.

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Old 25th June 2014, 09:09   #131
BHPian

PSI stands for "Pound-force per square inch" and is used to measure pressure or stress applied to an area of one square inch. Hence a pressure of 32 PSI would be same for a cycle tyre and also a truck tyre. Volume of air will be proportionately different in both the tyres.

So if a manufacturer recommends 32 PSI for front and 30 PSI for rear for OEM tyres, the same ratings can be applied for a broader tyre like in your case.

I hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I think your wider tires will need slightly more air to be filled in them. I also have upgraded to 195/60 in my Amaze diesel from the useless 175/65 cycle tires. I fill 2 psi more than what Honda asks for the OEM tires.

Same way with my earlier cars, maintaining same pressures with wider than OEM tires have resulted in damaged alloy rims / tire side walls.

I am also surprised to see a few posts in other threads which actually mention about lowering psi on wider tires. Lower tire pressures in today's cars could be asking for trouble.

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.raj80 View Post
Dear All,
Regards,
Ashwin
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

4th-gen Honda City: Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
PSI stands for "Pound-force per square inch" and is used to measure pressure or stress applied to an area of one square inch. Hence a pressure of 32 PSI would be same for a cycle tyre and also a truck tyre. Volume of air will be proportionately different in both the tyres.

So if a manufacturer recommends 32 PSI for front and 30 PSI for rear for OEM tyres, the same ratings can be applied for a broader tyre like in your case.

I hope it helps

I have seen even OEMs have different tire pressures by tire sizes for the same vehicle. The carb zen used to come with 145/70R13 and 30 psi recommendation from maruti. The mpfi zen had 145/80R12 but had 24 psi recommendation from maruti. When I changed to 165/60r13 tires , I initially started with the same 30 psi as recommended by maruti for 13 inch tires. I remember I must have changed 5 tires in one year ( all LHS Fronts ) because of damaged sidewalls. Later on when I started experimenting with higher tire pressures , I have seen bumpier rides on bad roads , but never experienced any more damaged sidewalls. The zen has done 2L + kms

Maybe wider tires need higher tire pressure to protect the thinner sidewalls.

Again , when I read in other forums , I see some "experts" recommend lower pressures on wider tires. I have kept 2psi more now in the Amaze. it's 35/32 on 195/60 R14instead of 33/29 on 175/65R14

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 25th June 2014, 11:44   #133

Thanks speedsatya sir and rahulsharma2008 sir for your reply. I noticed this adding two points of PSI for new tyres when it was changed. I asked for the same with that person,but he didn't give a proper explanation for his act. So tried my own experience for the ride and feel. Ride quality is excellent and I'm enjoying every bit of it. For the under inflated feel I got the explanations . Thanks once again !!
Old 25th June 2014, 12:02   #134
BHPian

Wider tyres need lower inflation pressure.
Tractor tyres need just 15-20 psi.
Road bicycles need 100 psi.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:49   #135
BHPian

Inflation pressure is combination of foot print, load carried, steerabilty etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks