Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:50   #121

Re: Review: MRF Perfinza Tyres

Context: I purchased a pre-loved Scross 1.6 back in December 23 (and thank TBHP forms for that, its such a gem of a car). The car still had Stock JK Tyres on, changing the tyres and upgrading the lights were among the very first things that i did.

We drove close to 400 Kms within the city on the older JKs. I did not have any scary moments given that the car is powerful and the tyre rubber had gotten hard with cracks visible. Its with these tyres i experienced the 1.6 torque rush, that feeling of being pushed back in the seat when you step on the A Pedal.

After trawling through TBHP, finally decided to settle with MRF Perfinza. I stuck to the stock sizing (205/60/16)
Have driven them close to 2000 kms. including a highway ride of 1200 kms. Here are my observations, i wont categorize them as a positive or a negative as i do not have a good reference. As mentioned above, had only minimal experience with the older tyres.

- These are an absolute 'Chipku' tyres, they just stick to the road and don't let go. Evident in my recent highway trip, the car handled very well. I was confidently maneuvering the car around under hard acceleration and at speeds close to a 100 KMPH. Driving through the Kasara ghat twisties, the car NEVER left its line (while i enjoyed the 320 nm torque). Haven't experienced these over wet roads yet.

- Once i had to use urgent braking, these tyres did not screech (again, good grip)

- That feeling of being pushed back in your seat under hard acceleration has almost gone :(. Dont know what could be the reason for that but, the car doesn't accelerate the way it used to earlier.

- Tyres lose pressure much faster, about 2-3 ps every week. Im not sure if this is normal? Do other users face this issue? And yes, the tyres loof under inflated, even if they have optimum air pressure.

- I used to drive a Ritz with Conti UC6, though not an apple to apple comparison but, i find the Perfinza's have a harsher ride quality. Possibly due to stiffer sidewalls?

I'm not sure if i am supposed to lose a bit on gas mileage (Fuel Efficiency) with these sticky tyres. I assume since there will be some loss as the tyres may need a bit of an extra push to get moving?
Happyrev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:35   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrev View Post
- Tyres lose pressure much faster, about 2-3 ps every week. Im not sure if this is normal? Do other users face this issue? And yes, the tyres loof under inflated, even if they have optimum air pressure.
This is not normal. 2-3 PSI a month is OK. But not every week. Is this with all tyres? Kindly get the checked for leakages from rim
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 15:46   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrev View Post

- These are an absolute 'Chipku' tyres, they just stick to the road and don't let go. Evident in my recent highway trip, the car handled very well. I was confidently maneuvering the car around under hard acceleration and at speeds close to a 100 KMPH. Driving through the Kasara ghat twisties, the car NEVER left its line (while i enjoyed the 320 nm torque). Haven't experienced these over wet roads yet.

Concur with most of your observations. Have the same tyres and have completed about 4 years since install and ~30k kms of driving.

Firstly, the loss of air pressure is what I have experienced. Mine lose pressure over 3-4 weeks of driving OR continuous driving on bad roads.

The tyres do look underinflated even though the pressures may be normal.

The ride will be harsher if you compare to 'comfort' oriented tyres such as UC6.. but in my case the ride was better compared to my hard compound MRF ZVTV's which I replaced the perfrinza's with.

F.E. figure dip: difficult to assess, but in my experience, I found little to no effect.

Concur with you on the grip though. Fantastic grip even when I compare with some more premium brands like Michelin.

Another factor which I liked about these tyres is the ageing is wonderful. I found no increase in noise or deterioration in grip due to time or reduction in tread wear.

Mine will last another 5k at most, so life is reduced. But I think they are worth the price.

Regards,
Simple_car

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th February 2024 at 17:08. Reason: quote content trimmed
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:47   #124

I recently got the MRF Perfinzas (205/55 R16 91V) on my Skoda Octavia after having read this thread and have to say that they are very good indeed.

I had Goodyear Eagle NCT5 as stock tyres which lasted me 9 years due to less usage but opted to switch even though they had tread left considering tyres are too old.

Got December 2023 manufactured tyres after a lot of search for roughly 7,800/- per tyre from MRF Authorised Deal (Aggarwal Tyres) on Faiz Road, Delhi and was really impressed with their work.
Old 1st March 2024, 11:17   #125
BHPian

However, I have seen very small stones getting stuck in the tyre grooves and creating a racket. When dislodged while moving, they shoot into the wheel wells and cause further noise. They are a pain to remove during wheel balancing too.

I never did realize that stones stuck in the grooves can cause faulty tyre imbalance readouts. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the guy ever did clean out the grooves before balancing the tyre. Thanks again!
Old 21st March 2024, 00:40   #126
BHPian

Recently changed the complete set of tyres on our Ecosport with a new set of Perfrinzas. The previous set (also Perfrinza's) lasted me ~32k km and 4 years.

Here's my view on these tyres:

1. +ve
- Grip (especially the wet grip)
- Silent (meaning less road noise is filtered)
- Stance of the vehicle
- Comfort
- Ageing is "graceful" (the tyres get noisier and harder, however, the deterioration is very much better compared to all other tyres which I have used)

2. -ve
- Life (tyre wear): My previous set could have lasted another 8k km, but I lost one tyre in a freak accident, and one other was puttered with punctures. I decided just to change the whole set.
- Asymmetrical. I am listing this as a negative mainly because it's a headache trying to explain and convince the majority of tyre shops on how to rotate these tyres. If not careful you will see them invariably mount the tyres incorrectly (especially after a mushroom puncture repair).
- Puncture prone. I had to visit the tyre shops more frequently with these sets.

My view is that most of the negatives mentioned are linked to these tyres made of soft compound rubber. And I thank MRF for providing such compounds in a market filled with bang-average and overpriced tyres. The prices of these tyres also haven't changed much (I paid the same 4 years back).

I would also recommend the MRF franchisee shops common in smaller towns/tier 2 or 3 cities. They offer mushroom puncture repair and tend to follow MRF guidelines. Equipment is not that great though.

Last edited by Simple_car : 21st March 2024 at 00:42.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks