Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 15:47   #376
Team-BHP Support

rhandle(Rahul) had lot of trouble with Yoko AT/S on his Gurkha. He lost 2-3 tires to sidewall/puncture damage. but then he could have got a bad batch.
If you want to save money BFG long trail TA/Tour is 5800 approx and good for trail driving and mild offroading
Old 8th April 2010, 16:11   #377
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
rhandle(Rahul) had lot of trouble with Yoko AT/S on his Gurkha. He lost 2-3 tires to sidewall/puncture damage. but then he could have got a bad batch.
If you want to save money BFG long trail TA/Tour is 5800 approx and good for trail driving and mild offroading
Tanveer, I agree...what you pointed out seems to be possibly a case of a bad batch or pure bad luck as most people who use Yokos A/TS swear by it.

I think the decision between BFG and Yoko could be best left to pricing and looks as everything else is more or less the same.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 8th April 2010, 16:17   #378
Team-BHP Support

Nope its not equal.
Yoko AT is an all terrain tire
BFG Long Trail TA Tour is the Trail driving tire.
So if Jay wants an All Terrain Tire, only option easily available is the Yoko A/T
However if he wants a highway tire with better offroad ability and sidewall toughness as compared to the Bridgestones, then the Long Trail TA is better.
Of course, the BFG is approx 800rs cheaper, which is a plus point.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:44   #379
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope its not equal.
Yoko AT is an all terrain tire
BFG Long Trail TA Tour is the Trail driving tire.
So if Jay wants an All Terrain Tire, only option easily available is the Yoko A/T
However if he wants a highway tire with better offroad ability and sidewall toughness as compared to the Bridgestones, then the Long Trail TA is better.
Of course, the BFG is approx 800rs cheaper, which is a plus point.
Thanks Tanveer,
That's good to know. So if I summarize it correctly this is the categorization and ideal tire
1) Highway terrain - Bridgestone Dueler - Best on-road
2) All-Terrain - Yoko AT/S - Ideal combination of on-road and off-road
3) Trail - BFG - Good when greater inclination is towards off-road use rather abuse
4) Mud-Terrains - Never had anyone talk about these for the Safari
Old 8th April 2010, 16:50   #380
Team-BHP Support

On a high speed vehicle which will see barely 10% off road use, MT does not make sense. They will be noisty, have poor braking on tarmac, and will put more load on suspension at high speeds.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:33   #381
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
ADC is running BFG's on his Safari and claims to be quite noisy.
A/T tyres will be noisy and may be the BFG A/T tread design makes it more noisy on the highways. The highway tyre noise can be cut off with windows up, so that issue could still be overlooked.

What could be the disadvantage of BFT A/T because of its aggressive A/T tread is the high speed braking dynamics remains the same to slightly poor to that of Bstone H/T. Looks like Yoko A/T are much better in this regard.

Sidewall strength is bullet proof and not a single cut in the 4 tyres from Arunachal to Satkosia forest to the recent N Bengal river-forest trail.

Last edited by adc : 14th April 2010 at 20:35.
Old 14th April 2010, 22:01   #382
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
What could be the disadvantage of BFT A/T because of its aggressive A/T tread is the high speed braking dynamics remains the same to slightly poor to that of Bstone H/T. Looks like Yoko A/T are much better in this regard.

Sidewall strength is bullet proof and not a single cut in the 4 tyres from Arunachal to Satkosia forest to the recent N Bengal river-forest trail.
I think ADC and Tanveer are two people whose opinion can be trusted blindly given what they put their Safaris (and tyres) through!

Adi
Old 16th April 2010, 19:53   #383
BHPian

Hi all.
for only highway and good road run ( and practiacally no offroading / bad patches ) , and better FE , Can you downsize the TCIC SAFARI tire If so would it mean a partial speed improvement owning to lowered traction ?

is it correct in theory?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 16th April 2010 at 19:55.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:44   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi all.
for only highway and good road run ( and practiacally no offroading / bad patches ) , and better FE , Can you downsize the TCIC SAFARI tire If so would it mean a partial speed improvement owning to lowered traction ?

is it correct in theory?

I thought about this when I had to get new tyres( didnt want to down size though !) , liked the Yoko HTS.

I don't off-road but guess ATS will be better when you drive uphill or so ; places were you reclaim.

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wdscf0963-large.jpg
Old 16th April 2010, 21:52   #385
Senior - BHPian

JKD ..!! You reclaiming agricultural patches on the hills with those HTS..!!
Old 16th April 2010, 22:36   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
JKD ..!! You reclaiming agricultural patches on the hills with those HTS..!!

Sarkar; its ATS

HTS wont suit my driving; roads get too narrow now and then.

And riding up that hill wasn't easy. 4x4 would have helped a lot. This was the second time I was doing that hill .
Old 20th April 2010, 00:16   #387
BHPian

Hi Friends , I am looking out for contacts for Used Safari tyres in Bangalore 16 inch 235. Heard there are tyre shops who take the new OEMs and sell for around 2.5 to 3 , can anyone please help with some leads.

Regards
Old 20th April 2010, 10:48   #388
Team-BHP Support

Actually straight out of showroom exchanged bridgestones sell for around 4.5K, no dealer will give you a tire barely done 100kms for 2K.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:13   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, in Bangalore, the going rate is around 3.5k. So, it is possible to get a barely used tyre for around 4k. Maybe lesser.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:19   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshbhaskar View Post
Hi Friends , I am looking out for contacts for Used Safari tyres in Bangalore 16 inch 235. Heard there are tyre shops who take the new OEMs and sell for around 2.5 to 3 , can anyone please help with some leads.

Regards
Go to the website of Michelin India. Michelin India - Find Your Dealer - www.michelin.in

Call up anyone near your home and they will have this ready for you.

My cousin paid Rs. 3k per tyre to exchange the OEM B/Stones with Michelins for his Innova V two weeks ago in Bangalore. I am sure you will find the ones reasonable. But I doubt if you will get it below 3k but take a shot.

BH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks