Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 10:43   #421
Senior - BHPian

@ mercedised >> If the rear tire burst immediately after the front tire burst, it means that the vehicle drove over some sharp object that was capable enough of rupturing the tires and causing them to burst. I doubt it is a case of manufacturing defect. How else would you explain 2 tires on the same side bursting one after the other.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:01   #422
BHPian

Tyre Rubbing against body panel,

Hi Everyone,

We recently changed our tyre on the Safari to Dunlop Grantrek AT20 (245-70 R16). They looked great until we took the it home to do a proper U turn in the car park, the driver side wheel rubs against the plastic panel.

Refer attached pics, any suggestion???
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-cimg5298.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-cimg5300.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-cimg5302.jpg  

Old 21st June 2010, 17:46   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Hi Everyone,

We recently changed our tyre on the Safari to Dunlop Grantrek AT20 (245-70 R16). They looked great until we took the it home to do a proper U turn in the car park, the driver side wheel rubs against the plastic panel.

Wrong size and wider alloy the culprit ( negative offset?)

How much did it cost you?
Old 21st June 2010, 21:12   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a wrong size! What did you expect
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:37   #425
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Strangely I faced this issue even when I shifted from regular Ceat Rhino's to Geolandars in stock size 235/75R15.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:14   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Incorrect offset of Alloy is the culprit and tyre size is wrong , Now if you want these alloys cut the inner lip of the mud fender where tyre rubs by 1 inch and also the body steel needs to be hammered by 1 inch.

Will try to post a picture for you here.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:53   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Incorrect offset of Alloy is the culprit and tyre size is wrong , Now if you want these alloys cut the inner lip of the mud fender where tyre rubs by 1 inch and also the body steel needs to be hammered by 1 inch.

Will try to post a picture for you here.
Hi Amitk,

Thanks for the info. I have 2 options right now.
Keep the tyre and do some modification to fit the tyre or take the tyre back to the seller and exchange it to correct size tyres.

By the way these tyre were cheap on the market Rs. 4900 a piece from Bangalore.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:51   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amitk,

Thanks for the info. I have 2 options right now.
Keep the tyre and do some modification to fit the tyre or take the tyre back to the seller and exchange it to correct size tyres.

By the way these tyre were cheap on the market Rs. 4900 a piece from Bangalore.
In that case try the correct size tyre first but I strongly feel that this is not just tyre but also due to mismatch of offset in alloy wheel rim.

So first fix one tyre of correct size in front and rotate steering fully if that solves the problem go ahead and exchange all tyres.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:24   #429
BHPian

Hi Amitk26,

It took the 5 minutes to fix the issue by the tyre shop guy, he did exactly what you mentioned.

Thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In that case try the correct size tyre first but I strongly feel that this is not just tyre but also due to mismatch of offset in alloy wheel rim.

So first fix one tyre of correct size in front and rotate steering fully if that solves the problem go ahead and exchange all tyres.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:43   #430
Senior - BHPian

Need urgent suggestion guys

I was doing usual washing/cleaning of Safari today and noticed about a 0.5" crack on sidewall of RHS rear tyre. It is stock Bridgestone Dueller H/T tubeless. My safari has only done about 9600 kms and less than a year and half old. It isn't leaking yet as the air pressure looks ok and when I poured some water on the crack, there weren't any bubbles. The crack is not visible on a casual glance, however, when the tyre is parked on an uneven ground (side wall flexes) the crack is easily visible. I will post pic later.

What should I do? For warranty should I approach TASS/TML or Bridgestone directly? Who will be the right Bridgestone dealer in Pune to approach for this?

TIA,

-BJ
Old 17th July 2010, 13:50   #431
Senior - BHPian

BJ, I would be pleasantly surprised if you managed to get a warranty replacement on this one, even though you may have covered less than 10k.

However, having said that, I'm not suggesting that you don't try- I would recommend going the TASS route, especially if you have a good rapport with them
Old 18th July 2010, 19:00   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
What should I do? For warranty should I approach TASS/TML or Bridgestone directly? Who will be the right Bridgestone dealer in Pune to approach for this?

TIA,

-BJ
The Stock tyre warranty is processed through T.A.S.S only. Before you go to them, check for any chip off's and other external physical damage/ marks, since if you can see it, Bridgestone would too and they would immediately reject it saying "Abuse". But do go for warranty.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:40   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
... I would recommend going the TASS route...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The Stock tyre warranty is processed through T.A.S.S only...
Thanks Suman and Dadu. I took my truck to TASS today. SA looked at it and said "stone damage" (expected that ), however, I insisted and showed him the LHS tyre too, which is developing a similar (hairline) crack. Then he referred me to Bridgestone service. I am meeting BS engineer tomorrow. Pls share anymore tips for passing that test. Here is a pic of the damage:

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-safari_tyre_1024.jpg

What surprises me is that LHS rear tyre too has a similar hairline crack (more faint) at the exact location (on U in Dueller) ?

-BJ
Old 20th July 2010, 19:12   #434
BHPian

My experience with hitting stone

BJ,

When my Michelin PP on Marina had a damage due to impact at high speed on highway by falling into a not so big gutter, it developed a bulge - the cut was internal, not visible outside. Surely not a case for considering warranty.

In your case, if it is a stone hit, there has to be some visible damage to surrounding areas or to internals. And in this case if it is indeed a hit, how did the rest of the side wall survive? What I mean is, the cut does not appear to be due to abuse.

Hope the Bridgestone guy gets convinced. All the best.

Viju
Old 20th July 2010, 19:39   #435
Senior - BHPian

Please post a picture shot on a digital camera in the macro mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks