Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 14:37   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks for the updates, shuvc ! How about the tyre pressure...do you stick to the recommended 30psi or is it different for upsized tyres ?
Old 6th October 2012, 09:46   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
  • Have used them for around 2K kms only. Ride has become better by a large margin. Some of the dash rattles seem to have reduced a lot too !!
  • High speeds are obviously more sure-footed. Wet and dry grip is very good for all practical purposes.
  • There might be a tad additional roll in corners. Sliiiiightly. Not sure. Does not feel alarming at all.
  • Steering still feels wonderful.
  • Quite silent. But then they are still new.
  • GC has increased on paper. And I could even feel it after the switch. I felt I was sitting higher ! But even earlier the car didn't normally scrape anywhere, hence don't really have much of a reference point for before and after GC related scenarios.
  • FE has probably dropped by 0.5 to 0.75kmpl. But then it's still good. I managed 16kmpl (!!) over a 420km highway drive keeping revvs within 2500rpm (80-100kmph) with 100% AC. And I did this twice !

Cons (nit-picking)
  • Car will feel a bit raised. I prefer the low slung effect
  • If observed closely, they do look over-sized and balloon out over the rims from the side
  • C-drives typically look narrower than the size indicates. So it does not look as fat as you would expect from 225s
  • Sliiiiiight additional body roll in corners. Due to much taller sidewall, I guess.

Here's the one side-on snap that I have. Has not touched anywhere in the wheel well yet.

Attachment 995422
Brave, brave man. Glad to hear that you haven't faced any major issues so far.

Just one question: is the additional body roll more disconcerting?
Old 6th October 2012, 18:23   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti

Brave, brave man. Glad to hear that you haven't faced any major issues so far.

Just one question: is the additional body roll more disconcerting?
Nope. Not at all. I drive just as I used to drive earlier.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 12:19   #469
BHPian

My stock Bridgestones are due for a change (done 50k+). Need advice on the next set of tyres. Thinking between Bridgestone and Michelin.

Do mostly city driving (50kms per day), so does it make sense to move up to the 205 or should I stick to stock specs?

Do Michelins give a better road experience? I know they are softer, so will wear down much quicker.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:40   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
Do mostly city driving (50kms per day), so does it make sense to move up to the 205 or should I stick to stock specs?

Do Michelins give a better road experience? I know they are softer, so will wear down much quicker.
Considering your limited usage it is better to stick to OE sizes.
Regarding Michelin, though they are soft compound tires, they do last long while providing smooth drive comfort.
Michelin Primacy would be the choice for Civic I guess and you will not be disappointed.
Of course you know well about bridgestone as you have already used them.
You may also consider Goodyear NCT5 if you are thinking other than Michelin.
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 15:10   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Considering your limited usage it is better to stick to OE sizes.
Regarding Michelin, though they are soft compound tires, they do last long while providing smooth drive comfort.
Michelin Primacy would be the choice for Civic I guess and you will not be disappointed.
Of course you know well about bridgestone as you have already used them.
You may also consider Goodyear NCT5 if you are thinking other than Michelin.
Thanks for the recco. Will check out the Michelin Primacy. Will the ride quality improve significantly if I move up to 205?
Old 30th October 2012, 15:44   #472
Senior - BHPian

Stick with the stock size & the make too, i.e. Bridgestone but only if you can get the Turanza GR90.
If not then both the AVS dB V550 from Yoko & the Primacy LC are par for the course. I am using all three on different rides and the Michelins do give that cushioned feel especially on city roads but that is not something I yearn for on highways, especially on the stretches where one is doing sustained triple digit runs. On such occasions the dB & the GR are the ones to have. I rate GR over dB only because the dB is a 'unidirectional' tire, apart from that both are silent and stick to the road like leeches.

Quote:
My stock Bridgestones are due for a change (done 50k+). Need advice on the next set of tyres. Thinking between Bridgestone and Michelin.

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:42   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Stick with the stock size & the make too, i.e. Bridgestone but only if you can get the Turanza GR90.
Is the Turanza GR90 available in R15? I can see it listed in the Bridgestone site as R16 only. The only Turanza range in R15 I can find is ER 300.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:57   #474
Senior - BHPian

Checked the site and it seems Turanza GR90 is available only from size 16" onwards.

Quote:
Is the Turanza GR90 available in R15? I can see it listed in the Bridgestone site as R16 only. The only Turanza range in R15 I can find is ER 300.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:48   #475
BHPian

My stock Bridgestones are due for a change and after a lot of deliberation have decided not to upsize the rims, but move to 205/65/15.

Was thinking of the C drives or the Primacy LC, so went to the local dealer and he was hard selling the Pirelli P7. He says it is the absolute best tyre that money can buy in this size for my requirements.

Does anyone have feedback on the P7s? They will cost about Rs 500 more per piece than the Primacy LC.

Since I live in Gurgaon, I do have my share of bad roads, but a large part of my car use is on the expressway, chauffeur driven.
Old 17th November 2012, 15:57   #476
BHPian

Thanks guys for the advise.

Bought the Michelin Primacy LC from changemytyre.com at 23k with free alignment,balancing (w/o weights) and a shiny new nozzle. The ride is much smoother almost velvety and the road noise is significantly lesser.
Old 18th November 2012, 20:59   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud
Thanks guys for the advise.

Bought the Michelin Primacy LC from changemytyre.com at 23k with free alignment,balancing (w/o weights) and a shiny new nozzle. The ride is much smoother almost velvety and the road noise is significantly lesser.
What size did you buy finally?
Old 24th November 2012, 16:53   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
What size did you buy finally?
The stock size 195/65R 15 91V tubeless.
Old 24th November 2012, 23:09   #479
BHPian

Started off planning to upgrade the rims to 16/17, then decided against it. Kept the stock alloys, but up sized to 205/65/15

On the tyre front, had short listed Yoko C drive and Db550, Michelin XM2 and PLC. Went to a few outlets and got completely contrasting opinions. One said Yokos are bad, other said they are the best. BK was pushing for Michelins and still one more was hell bent on proving that the Pirelli P7 is the best tyre on the planet.

Quickly realised that these opinions seem to be dependant on available stock ad commissions, so went over the tyres in person and finally bought the DB 550 yesterday. Immediately ride seems to be much better. Also got an Arrow shirt free
Old 21st December 2012, 07:38   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Yes. 16" wheels are much more expensive than 15" ones. I paid 5.4K for 205/65 15 Michelin PLC one year back. Avoid 205/65 R16 though as it is too big (2cm increase in radius) for the car and will foul with the wheel well areas. You may need look at lower profile tyres if you are looking at upsizing to 16". 205/55 R16 may be better. Tyre experts here should give better ideas.

For better GC, best option is to go for 205/65 R15. 205/55 R16 is slight lower.
Hey Vasoo,Looks like you have been using 205/65/R15 for more than a year or so.How have the upsized tyres performed.Has there been any big drop in FE.Has it impacted Suspension/Power Steering or other parts?Has it reduced bottom scraping over bumps?Did you use Stock alloys or did you have to change them while upgrading?

Looking forward to your inputs as I am planning to upgrade to 205/65/R15 for my Civic AT very soon.

Thanks.

Last edited by ramanak : 21st December 2012 at 07:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks