Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 11:43   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
My Fiesta Classic's trye nightmare continues.. At 26k on the odo, with stock GoodYear tyres, 3 out of 4 tyres have screwed up. The tyres have lost the shape i.e the surface isn't flat and bulged at some places with even treadwear indicating tyre issue and no mechanical issue.
check your Suspension too, You might have worn out suspension bushes, lower arms. When was the Last time Wheel alignment and Balancing was done? Get this done at a good reputed place.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 12:52   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
check your Suspension too, You might have worn out suspension bushes, lower arms. When was the Last time Wheel alignment and Balancing was done? Get this done at a good reputed place.
The car is driven just for 26k kms and wheels are well taken care of regularly at Madhus.

I haven't faced any suspension issues, at least noticeably.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:02   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Why don't you have them inspected by a Goodyear service engineer ? It may be a deformation fault. Call 1800-266-6767 and give them vehicle details and tyre serial nos. A service engineer will call you back to arrange the inspection at a tyre store closest to your location.
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Just registered a complaint.

Today I removed one of the tyres and rolled it on a even floor. The tyre rolled over in zig zag manner!
Quote:
The car is driven just for 26k kms and wheels are well taken care of regularly at Madhus.

I haven't faced any suspension issues, at least noticeably.

Finally the issue is now resolved!

Thanks WasavaTyres, I called up the Goodyear helpline, by EoD, a service engineer called up and booked appointment to inspect the tyres. The location chosen was Metro Ford A.S.S

The car was lifted up, he rotated the tyres and the bulges were clearly visible on four tyres. He immediately prepared a report of the issue and mentioned in the report to replace the tyres on pro rata basis ie for the new set I need to pay around 50% of the cost as half life of the tyres were over. He suggested me to replace the tyres in Ford A.S.S itself. But I told him that I wasnt keen on replacing with GoodYear tyres. Told him that I would like to replace with Michelin XM2s or Earch-1s, at Madhus Enterprises.

He promptly agreed to it and got the tyres replaced with 185/165 R14 Earth-1s at Madhus.
FordDodo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:11   #364
BHPian

Need to change my 2010 Fiesta SXI. I changed tyres as soon as bought car to Yokohama A-Drive 195/60 R14. Served me well for 43K kms. Would like to go with the same size.

What would be cost in Bengaluru for above sizes for

a) Yokahama Earth 1.

b) Michelin XM2

c) MRF XLO.

Thanks.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:25   #365
BHPian

Yokohama Earth1 is not available in that size AFAIK. Try Hankook Optimo me-02 as well on your list.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 13:27   #366
BHPian

You can also try Bridgestone Potenza G3 if available in Bengaluru.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 12:23   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
You can also try Bridgestone Potenza G3 if available in Bengaluru.
Thanks for info.

After checking the prices of XM2 + its out of my budget.

So its either MRF ZLo, 195/60 R14 or Yokohama Earth1 185/65 R14.

Any feedback of ZLo?
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:21   #368
BHPian

Hi there,

I wanted to get the set of tyres on my Ford fiesta (now classic) changed. I want to keep the stock size of 175/65 R14.

The stock MRF types have developed an uneven surface in just 20000 kms but in ~4.5 years (Yes, this car is sparingly driven). They are causing a very bad noise at speeds greater than 40 kmph and the noise is similar to that of bad bearings. I got the bearings checked and they are absolutely ok. Also, the steering shakes and moves with these types as because of the uneven and rock hard surface, they do not grip the road that well.

The options that I have are:
1) Michelin XM2 : 4500/-
2) Goodyear Assurance Armorgrip+ : 3700/- (Heavily being pushed by a Ford Dealer)
3) Bridgestone B290 : 4000/- (Heavily being pushed by another Ford dealer)

Any others that you guys recommend?

Also, My usage is primarily on good city roads and I like to take high speed corners on empty flyover loops.

Requirements: Very Good Grip, Low Tyre Noise, Around 40K kms of life

Last edited by M5_fan : 3rd April 2015 at 18:27.
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:43   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Hi there,

The options that I have are:
1) Michelin XM2 : 4500/-
2) Goodyear Assurance Armorgrip+ : 3700/- (Heavily being pushed by a Ford Dealer)
3) Bridgestone B290 : 4000/- (Heavily being pushed by another Ford dealer)

Any others that you guys recommend?

Also, My usage is primarily on good city roads and I like to take high speed corners on empty flyover loops.

Requirements: Very Good Grip, Low Tyre Noise, Around 40K kms of life
Why not check Yokahama Earth1 and MRF ZLO . Recently i changed from Yokahama A drive to Yokahama Earth1. They are good taking small potholes well, super silent (may be because they are new at the moment, but otherwise also they are better than A-Drive).

ZLo are suited best for high speed driving, at-least thats what NikhilHb told me.

Why are you buying tyres with Ford dealers? Isn't it cheaper and better to deal with Tyre dealer?
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:54   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Why not check Yokahama Earth1 and MRF ZLO . Recently i changed from Yokahama A drive to Yokahama Earth1.

ZLo are suited best for high speed driving, at-least thats what NikhilHb told me.

Why are you buying tyres with Ford dealers? Isn't it cheaper and better to deal with Tyre dealer?
Thanks for the response.

1) How much do the Yoko Earth1 of this size cost? Will check them out
2) I won't ever buy an MRF tyre in my life now. All 4 are gone.
3) Well I was just checking what the ford dealers recommend. Also they owe me some amount so thought of settling it this way. Anyway their tyre price is about 150/- per tyre more expensive than the market as far as I know. Also they don't keep Michelins. I checked their price with a tyre dealer.
Old 5th April 2015, 14:09   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

1) How much do the Yoko Earth1 of this size cost? Will check them out
With stock size they cost 4.3K in Bengaluru. I opted next big size, 185/65 R14. Surprisingly they cost 4.1K per tyre.
Quote:
2) I won't ever buy an MRF tyre in my life now. All 4 are gone.
Well Stocks where ZV2Ks. They hard compound, they lasted 65K for some.
If you are seeing uneven wear, may be you had to check wheel alignment as well as Balancing. Getting alignment checked once in six month is recommended. Apart from this you should do Tyre rotation every 5K kms. If you are assuming that Ford A.S.S had done it, let me tell you this, They do a very shoddy job (At least this applies to Lathangi Ford here in Bengaluru)!
They either do not rotate the tyre or won't do balancing, yet as part of
job card its marked as completed.

Do you get balancing and alignment done at Ford or outside?

Quote:
3) Well I was just checking what the ford dealers recommend. Also they owe me some amount so thought of settling it this way. Anyway their tyre price is about 150/- per tyre more expensive than the market as far as I know. Also they don't keep Michelins. I checked their price with a tyre dealer.
Most of the Ford dealer would have tie-up with near by tyre dealer. They just act as middle men!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 14:20   #372
BHPian

Based on the initial 10k kms, I would recommend the yoko earth 1.. I have them on my rapid and have had no punctures, the ride is cushioned and silent as well. Though my experience is comparing these to Apollo acceleres that the car came with. These were OK and did last over 60k kms but were quite stiff and didn't grip very well in the rain.
Dan9ie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 20:47   #373
BHPian

I always get the balancing, alignment and rotation done. I will be checking out the tyre dealer tomorrow and buying the tyres. The current MRF tyres have cracks on the sides of the outer tread as if someone ran a knife in a circular manner to peel off the tread, right above the sidewall. The cracks are there in all 4 tyres and throughout the side of the outer tread.
Thanks for the responses. Will be buying them from BK tyres at lajpat Ngr.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:40   #374
BHPian

Update: Got the tires done. Bought Goodyear assurance armorgrip plus installed. That weird noise which was there while driving has absolutely gone. The tyres have also improved the ride and feel super grippy. Also have a 2 yr unconditional warranty. I wanted to put the yoko earth 1 but then was tempted by this price and warranty. Tyre noise is also quite less but can be heard on cemented roads.
As per them. The old tires had changed their shape longitudinally and hence the noise was coming and the car was swaying left and right.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by M5_fan : 6th April 2015 at 15:43.
Old 13th April 2015, 12:34   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Maintain 30-32 in all four, you'll see a marked difference.
Why are you running 35 in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I made the same switch and the ride has improved, I guess the excess pressure is at fault. Please try 30 to 32 all around and revert on your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The recommended pressure on the driver side door says 30 psi all around if its city driving. With full load of 5 passengers and luggage, the recommended pressure is 36 psi front and 44 psi rear!!

I too changed the tyres on my new Classic 1.6 to 185/65/R14 Continental CC5 and the ride is definitely much better over bad roads compared to the stock MRF's. I maintain 30 psi all around.

I changed the pressure to 30 all around, the ride has improved much. The car was back from service and alignment, the pressure was set to 37! That had made the ride even worse.
So, now after setting to 30psi, ride is pretty much sorted.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks