Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 11:23   #271
BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Two days back, I went and got four new Continental CC5 tires for my Liva GD.

This Saturday I went to Resham Motors at Indirapuram, Gaziabad to check out Continental and ended up buying 4 tires for Rs. 4400 each, after discounts and giving away my old tires. I also changed the tyre size from the OEM 175/65/14 to 185/65/14.
This is my first tire change ever, and frankly I could not imagine that change of tires can make such a difference. After a couple of days of driving, I have following observations:

- I get the feel of driving on a carpet because of the silence and soft ride. Delhi roads, though broad, often have uneven surfaces and joints on the flyover. The car now glides over them very nicely

- Handling seems better. Could be because of the width too. There is a sharp curve with slightly uneven surface on the ring road where traffic moves fast and taking it at around 65-70 kmph the car feels planted unlike earlier.

- Getting off from standstill seems to take a little more power compared to earlier. I stalled the car once. The car rolls in 1st gear without any input on the acceleration pedal even now, but the clutch had to be modulated properly. Though after two days of driving, this seems better. Once in motion it seems to move easier than before. My guess is that in stop-start traffic FE will be worse, but in freely moving traffic it may be better.

Of course, these changes could be a function of both the increased width of the tire as well as the nature of new tire.

I have one doubt though, and I will be glad for any advice:

Since I bought only 4 new tires, my spare is the old 175/65/14 Good Year. Won't this difference in size create problem if I have to use the spare? Won't the car be unstable and may even affect suspension etc.?

Waiting for some good counsel. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th July 2015, 20:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
This is my first tire change ever, and frankly I could not imagine that change of tires can make such a difference. After a couple of days of driving, I have following observations:

- I get the feel of driving on a carpet because of the silence and soft ride. Delhi roads, though broad, often have uneven surfaces and joints on the flyover. The car now glides over them very nicely

- Handling seems better. Could be because of the width too. There is a sharp curve with slightly uneven surface on the ring road where traffic moves fast and taking it at around 65-70 kmph the car feels planted unlike earlier.

- Getting off from standstill seems to take a little more power compared to earlier. I stalled the car once. The car rolls in 1st gear without any input on the acceleration pedal even now, but the clutch had to be modulated properly. Though after two days of driving, this seems better. Once in motion it seems to move easier than before. My guess is that in stop-start traffic FE will be worse, but in freely moving traffic it may be better.

Of course, these changes could be a function of both the increased width of the tire as well as the nature of new tire.

I have one doubt though, and I will be glad for any advice:

Since I bought only 4 new tires, my spare is the old 175/65/14 Good Year. Won't this difference in size create problem if I have to use the spare? Won't the car be unstable and may even affect suspension etc.?

Waiting for some good counsel. Thanks in advance.

Continentals are good tyres comparable to Michelin's and Yoko.. Few compounds/models are commendable. I have a friend using continental on his City and he also keeps praising them. If your spare wheel is 13" its fine, you will not face any problem, but just dont continue using them for long. Its fine to drive around 50-100 kms on highways or city for some emergencies till you get the punctured tyre repaired, but keep your speeds in check. Dont drive high speeds since physically the one inch small tyre will have to keep up with 14" brothers. Either change the spare tyre to 14"(best choice) or use it as less as possible in lesser speed, it may/could contribute for uneven tyre wear for all tyres since other tyres are taller by an inch.
Old 21st July 2015, 10:59   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
Continentals are good tyres comparable to Michelin's and Yoko.. Few compounds/models are commendable. I have a friend using continental on his City and he also keeps praising them. If your spare wheel is 13" its fine, you will not face any problem, but just dont continue using them for long. Its fine to drive around 50-100 kms on highways or city for some emergencies till you get the punctured tyre repaired, but keep your speeds in check. Dont drive high speeds since physically the one inch small tyre will have to keep up with 14" brothers. Either change the spare tyre to 14"(best choice) or use it as less as possible in lesser speed, it may/could contribute for uneven tyre wear for all tyres since other tyres are taller by an inch.
Actually, I have not changed the rim size, it remains 14 inches. I just changed from 175/65 yo 185/65 on the 14" rims, which amounts to a few millimeters of increase in the GC. Therefore, this dilemma about the spare tire. Thanks for your advice though and good to know another feedback about the tire from your friend. I am considering now to change the spare as well, for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 21st July 2015, 14:28   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I have not changed the rim size, it remains 14 inches. I just changed from 175/65 yo 185/65 on the 14" rims, which amounts to a few millimeters of increase in the GC. Therefore, this dilemma about the spare tire. Thanks for your advice though and good to know another feedback about the tire from your friend. I am considering now to change the spare as well, for peace of mind if nothing else.
Oh Yes, I understood incorrectly, but it still applies for change in tyre sizes.. investing for one more tyre would always be more useful.
Old 23rd August 2015, 14:38   #275
BHPian

I just got a set of tyres continental CC5 and i am disappointed with the sound. I got 175/65/15 for my my ANHC. At speeds above 60-70 the tyre noise is very evident. I dont know if it is because the engine is silent or what. I read the reviews here and took them instead of XM2's. Is it that the tyres need a run in?
Old 23rd August 2015, 15:44   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Hello !
After about 75000 Kms on Bridgestone Turanza, I had to go for 185/70 R14 tyre replacement for my Dzire ZDi.

So i went for CC5 for 4 tyres which cost me total about 18000 Rs.

I have done some 300 Kms on the new tyres so far and till now it has been good. I tend to agree with the comment that CC5 are more silent compared to other tyres and even at 100 kmph, you hear more on engine noise than tyre noise. I will keep the forum posted for any news.
Is there an update?
How many kms have you clocked on the new shoes? Any issues?
I believe any new tyre feels great after a tyre change but it is only after few thousand kms that we get to know the true reviews.

I am an enthusiast; presently researching on tyre weight and it's impact on FE and stopping distance. Unfortunately our tyre manufacturers do not specify tyre weight. This is a key factor in calculating the total unsprung weight of the wheel which multiples 6 times when the wheel is in motion. Static weight and mass, ultimately decides how fast the car can accelerate or stop (0-100 and 100 to 0). I have Turanzas ER 60 (185/70 R14) that have clocked 20K kms without any issue or punchur. Yet I am considering a change. My experiment is to choose a tyre with lesser weight without compromising much on tyre toughness. Would you be knowing the specs of Conti CC5 in terms of plies? Example of Turanza below ...

Tread plies: 2 Steel, 1 Polyester, 1 Nylon
Sidewall plies: 2 Polyester
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:03   #277
BHPian

Went with an intent to put earth 1 for my Innova to Mark Premji's Premji Tyres plus at Thane. Mark was not there, and his staff were actually not much bothered to give me any information or any attention. Mind you it was a lazy afternoon and the boys were actually free. I just walked out of this shop in a huff.

Went from there onto the Ghodbunder road to Mayur Tyres. He offered me all the brands at a good price, in comparison to Premji. However he was pushing to sell me the Contis, and I said, What the heck, have tried Michelins, Yokos, and now let us try the Continentals.

So my Innova now is shod with 4 continentals 205/65 R15 tyres. Honestly, I never found Michelins or even for that matter Yokos to be anything great. And I frankly had no expectations from the Contis.

But if my 15 km drive today is any indicator, these tyres are a revelation. The cabin is suddenly super quite and the ride extremely pliant. Lets hope they stay the same way throughout.

Gave me a price of 5400 per tyre after exchange - including wheel alignment and balancing. My Yokos had done over 45K.

The owner is definitely very courteous and informal. Contact Details of the tyre guy for anyone interested - Mr. Vivekanand Akula - 9224767746 / 9702133312.Tthey claim to be the sole distributor for Contis - have three shops in Thane.
Old 24th August 2015, 09:53   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Is there an update?
How many kms have you clocked on the new shoes? Any issues?
I believe any new tyre feels great after a tyre change but it is only after few thousand kms that we get to know the true reviews.

I am an enthusiast; presently researching on tyre weight and it's impact on FE and stopping distance. Unfortunately our tyre manufacturers do not specify tyre weight. This is a key factor in calculating the total unsprung weight of the wheel which multiples 6 times when the wheel is in motion. Static weight and mass, ultimately decides how fast the car can accelerate or stop (0-100 and 100 to 0). I have Turanzas ER 60 (185/70 R14) that have clocked 20K kms without any issue or punchur. Yet I am considering a change. My experiment is to choose a tyre with lesser weight without compromising much on tyre toughness. Would you be knowing the specs of Conti CC5 in terms of plies? Example of Turanza below ...

Tread plies: 2 Steel, 1 Polyester, 1 Nylon
Sidewall plies: 2 Polyester
Hello.
Thanks a lot for reminding me!
I have clocked about 5000+ KM on the new tyres and it has been a very good experience both in city and on highway. Due to the toughness, there are no jarring noises when going over potholes.
My relative has also gone for CC5 for his previous gen verna.

I do not know the plies specs for the tyres and even google search did not give any good links for the same. May be one of forum gurus can help.

Weightwise, i guess it would be more as this tyre does not depress when you press it hard on the top and thus i guess it will have higher rubber density and thus more weight compared to other similar tyres.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:20   #279
BHPian

Any idea why i am getting tyre noise at speeds of 70kmph and above on the conti CC5 in my ANHC, i got the wheel bearings checked and the honda people say its tyre noise only; i thought they would be equally silent as the XM2's ?
I got the original warranty card and the dealers is also genuine.The tyres are made in modinagar.
The reviews here report them to be very silent!
Old 27th August 2015, 20:09   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Any idea why i am getting tyre noise at speeds of 70kmph and above on the conti CC5 in my ANHC, i got the wheel bearings checked and the honda people say its tyre noise only; i thought they would be equally silent as the XM2's ?
I got the original warranty card and the dealers is also genuine.The tyres are made in modinagar.
The reviews here report them to be very silent!
I recently changed to Conti CC5 195/60 R15 from stock 175/65 R15 Michelins in my ANHC. There is remarkable difference in overall feel of car. Contis are super silent in my case. In fact the dealer was suggesting me to go in for stock size 175/65 in Conti CC5 as he was having only 2 tyres available with him. He made me wait for a day for the size 195/60 R15.

Suggest you to swap them for the upsize.
Old 31st August 2015, 19:07   #281
Senior - BHPian

Recently got the CC5 for my car (Ford Figo) based on reviews here as well as on some international forums that placed it in higher regard than the XM2 in terms of comfort and silence. The size I have purchased is 185/65R14 while the stock size is 175/65R14.

To be honest, it doesn't feel too different than what the stock tyres (Goodyear GT3) had felt when I had bought the car. Its a bit quieter but definitely not silent & the comfort levels also leave quite a lot to be desired. Now, I have not experienced the Michelin XM2 in a Figo & so, I can't be sure if they would be any better but I am starting to doubt my decision about the Contis.

PS: the air pressure that I maintain is 31 as I am the only occupant in the car on most occassions.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 31st August 2015 at 19:09.
Old 1st September 2015, 23:49   #282
Senior - BHPian

Hi, could you tell me which dealer is this and their contact details. I have been trying to source the CC5 in the exact same size but no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I recently changed to Conti CC5 195/60 R15 from stock 175/65 R15 Michelins in my ANHC. There is remarkable difference in overall feel of car. Contis are super silent in my case. In fact the dealer was suggesting me to go in for stock size 175/65 in Conti CC5 as he was having only 2 tyres available with him. He made me wait for a day for the size 195/60 R15.

Suggest you to swap them for the upsize.
Old 12th September 2015, 20:20   #283
BHPian

Got Continental Ecocontact 3 165/65R13 tyres installed on my Hyundai Eon today. Costed me 3500 per tyre. Road noise has vastly improved from the Goodyears. Grip also seems better. Has anyone else used ecocontact 3 tyres?

Last edited by avi@98 : 12th September 2015 at 20:30.
Old 12th September 2015, 23:01   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
Got Continental Ecocontact 3 165/65R13 tyres installed on my Hyundai Eon today. Costed me 3500 per tyre. Road noise has vastly improved from the Goodyears. Grip also seems better. Has anyone else used ecocontact 3 tyres?
Been using them on my Figo for the last 37k kms. Except for few punctures and a sidewall puncture, no other issues. Road noise will start over time.,but not as bad as some other hard tires. Wear is slow too and the grip remains constant, but as the tire gets older, the hardness and roughness starts. The best part of Conti tyres are the wet weather grip, it's amazing.

I didn't know they still sell this model. Did you check for the manufacturing dates on them.
Old 12th September 2015, 23:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Been using them on my Figo for the last 37k kms. Except for few punctures and a sidewall puncture, no other issues. Road noise will start over time.,but not as bad as some other hard tires. Wear is slow too and the grip remains constant, but as the tire gets older, the hardness and roughness starts. The best part of Conti tyres are the wet weather grip, it's amazing.

I didn't know they still sell this model. Did you check for the manufacturing dates on them.
They still sell them and its on Continental's Indian website too. Got it from an authorised Continental dealer but I didn't check the manufacturing date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks