Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 06:22   #406
Sen
BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Any reviews for the UC6 from current owners?
Old 29th November 2020, 16:44   #407
BHPian

Recently, I changed 4 tyres of 2015 Ciaz (195/55 R16) to Conti UC6. Stock ones on my Ciaz were Apollo Alnac 4G's that served well till ODO of 67,000. Apollo's did not show complete wear off, however they had become hard and braking was an issue in recent time. Anyway 5 years and 67k running was overkill for those tyres.

Initially I was looking Michelin XM2+ as replacement, however there was nil stock of Michelin's in nearby dealerships including that of primacy series.

Then Conti UC6 was the only logical choice as I was looking for more comfortable and quieter tyres. These are 6th generation tyres from Continental and claims to offer low noise, robust sidewalls, improved fuel efficiency, and greater comfort.

Though I have clocked only 1000 kms with UC6's, following are my initial observations:

- These are super quiet
- Braking distance has reduced considerably
- I see no major difference in handling and steering feedback
- Ride is lot smoother, same was acknowledged by co-passengers
- Mostly they were used on highways and I had been ultra cautious while going through some bad patches and potholes considering these are low profile tyres. So can't really comment on their performance through bad roads

Overall quite happy with the initial performance !
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-img_50771.jpg  

Continental tyres-img_50781.jpg  

gloriole is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 03:42   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriole View Post
Recently, I changed 4 tyres of 2015 Ciaz (195/55 R16) to Conti UC6.
I am also considering these tyres. Glad to know that your initial impression is good. What was the price?
Old 1st December 2020, 11:51   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am also considering these tyres. Glad to know that your initial impression is good. What was the price?
I paid ~ INR 7,000 per tyre including fitment, alignment and balancing.
gloriole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:15   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAakash View Post
Came across Continental UC6 at my local Continental store. It's the first time i've seen or heard of this tyre. According to the owner of the store it'll be priced at a premium or about 500 bucks over the MC5 for a 195/60 R15 size.
Any insight regarding how good or bad this tyre is? Tyrereviews.uk has some good reviews, but tyres sold abroad are quite different from those sold in India, even if they share their names.
Anyway, i couldn't manage to get pics of it, but it did feel slightly harder than both the CC5 and the MC5. Maybe @Nikhilb2008 could throw some light on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Any reviews for the UC6 from current owners?
I have upgraded the tires of my Elite I20 from Apollo Alnac 4G to Continental UC6. I have driven around 1000 kms since the tire change and below are my initial impression.

1. The tires are significantly silent on the highway compared to the Apollo tires. The tire noise from Apollo was driving me crazy and this is a good welcome change.
2. The braking performance is the most impressive part of this tire. I never realized that tires would play such an important role in braking. The braking distance has vastly decreased and is very confidence-inspiring!
3. Mileage - Can't comment on that yet. As 50% of the 1000 kms covered by me was mostly on hill stations, so can't say for sure if the tires improved mileage.
4. I have driven on really bad non-existent roads and there was no issue but the ride quality is hard on these roads. You can feel every bump on the road.
5. On highways, the ride quality felt much smoother compared to the Apollo tires. I felt like driving on stone with the Apollo tires which made me change my tires.
6. I felt that the steering has become a little stiffer after the tire change.
prasathlr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:42   #411

I had Continental UC6s fixed on my Ignis a little while ago. Having driven primarily in Bangalore - with occasional sorties to various locations within 100km of the city - my observations agree with prasathlr's initial impressions.

I had to decide between Michelins P4STs and Continental UC6s. New P4STs are extremely difficult to come by at the moment because of COVID-19 and new import restrictions. Further, forum chatter in the UK and Aus says that UC6s compare favourably with P4STs, and they even surpass the latter when it comes to wet-weather grip.

A few shots of the tyres when they were new:
Continental tyres-tyre-4.png

The profile (I upsized from stock 175/65/R15):
Continental tyres-tyre-2.png

The tread pattern:
Continental tyres-tyre-3.png

The UC6s feel a lot better to drive on than the stock Ecopias. They are also quieter on the tarmac up to 60km/h, though there is pronounced tyre roar beyond that speed (partly because the Ignis doesn't have the best soundproofing anyway.)

We're forced to contend with some pretty rough roads where we live, and the UC6s handled them with aplomb. Continental marketing says that these tyres have been specifically optimized for wet-weather performance: I can't comment on how true this is, but with the unexpected rainfall of the past few weeks, my experience has been fairly good. Our Ignis' braking and turning performance on wet roads has been great, and the vehicle feels a lot more composed over bad roads than on stock tyres.

Upsizing also had the unexpected side-effect of making the steering of our Ignis feel a lot better than on stock tyres. I think it is because the UC6s are wider and significantly grippier, so there's a lot more feedback and much welcome resistance on the steering now.

A final note on the price of the tyres: I picked these up for Rs 5,300 each from Sree Balaji Tyres on JC Road. These are brand new October made tyres. That's a fairly good price as far as I can tell, and every other dealer I called gave me a higher quote.
Invariance is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:57   #412
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
I paid ~ INR 7,000 per tyre including fitment, alignment and balancing.
Chiming in on this.

Got a set of 4 Continental UC6s as well, quoted 7200/- per tyre at Stunnerz Hyderabad, with 4200/- buyback offered per tyre for my Goodyear Assurance triplemax tires that came stock, 195/55/R16s.
Total paid = 12k, alignment/balancing free.
Service was good, got sensairy™ TPMS (5700/-, Amazon) install done as well at the same time. Vasu from Stunnerz was exceptionally helpful (after UPI messed things up for me and ended up debiting me 4 times overall for 1 12k~ transaction.
General impressions are good, slight imperfections in the front left tyre had my car pull slightly to the left, so got it swapped out for the rear left tire, all is well again.

Last edited by Sen : 3rd December 2020 at 18:04.
Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:50   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Chiming in on this.

Got a set of 4 Continental UC6s as well, quoted 7200/- per tyre at Stunnerz Hyderabad, with 4200/- buyback offered per tyre for my Goodyear Assurance triplemax tires that came stock, 195/55/R16s.
Total paid = 12k, alignment/balancing free.
Service was good, got sensairy™ TPMS (5700/-, Amazon) install done as well at the same time.
That is good buyback value for TripleMax, I trust you directly drove from showroom to replace this rubber with UC6's.

I am also looking for reliable TPM System. Whenever possible, do share more details about sensairy™ TPMS and your feedback on same.
gloriole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:38   #414
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
That is good buyback value for TripleMax, I trust you directly drove from showroom to replace this rubber with UC6's.
Sure did! 30 km on the odo and new shoes for her.

Quote:
I am also looking for reliable TPM System. Whenever possible, do share more details about sensairy™ TPMS and your feedback on same.
The TPMS sensors are pretty good so far. Support was good as well. I got the 4 sensor pack, and it was a breeze setting them up. You can scan a single QR code and add all 4/5 sensors at once, or add them manually via the Sensairy app.

The sensors are calibrated pretty well, and Sensairy's website FAQ suggests they catch a lot of uncalibrated air pumps on the regular too.

Other than that, I'm currently using the app and it syncs up seamlessly and alerts me if the pressure falls below or above certain thresholds. Makes pre-drive air checks a breeze.

Any specific questions?

Last edited by Sen : 4th December 2020 at 15:39.
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:46   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Sure did! 30 km on the odo and new shoes for her.
My guess was right

Quote:
Any specific questions?
Yes, are you using external or internal TPMS. If it is latter, what was the installation time and cost?
gloriole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:06   #416
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
If it is latter, what was the installation time and cost?
Using the internal TPMS (https://www.tymtix.com/#/store?product_id=6) variant, exterior ones are easy to maintain but easy to steal and may even end up falling off or being misplaced! (even if I only use my own TUSA pump)

Detailed FAQ helps too! (https://www.tymtix.com/#/support/faq#top)

Installation took the same time as fitting the new Continental tires to the rims + an additional 5 minutes per TPMS sensor (identify which sensor was aligned to which tire in the app, not needed but saved time later, bolt them on after removing the old valves with a blade, and then mount the tire on top)

Cost due to me buying a full set of tires to begin with = zero.

PS - Ajay from Tymtix was really helpful answering questions on their website chat app as well, and generally the sensors are accurate to the tee. Works without a hitch, planning to get a HUD to ensure I can monitor the tire pressures at all times.

Last edited by Sen : 4th December 2020 at 18:11.
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:57   #417
BHPian

One of my Yoko Earth1 got damaged and replaced it with UC6 last Saturday.
Paid 8500 for the tyre, balancing of 4 wheels and alignment.
Continental tyres-imageuploadedbyteambhp1607099254.073874.jpg
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 10:14   #418
Senior - BHPian

I got UC6 for the Fiesta last week! I usually stick with Michelin, but the recent ban on tyres forced me to look elsewhere. You can read those details here - Continental UC6

And now that I have put a few highway + city runs on the tyre, I can confidently say that it is very nice choice. It trumps the Michelin Primacy 3ST that I had on the Fiesta on all aspects.

The biggest difference is the noise - its insanely quiet. I wish I had a petrol car. I drove with my windows down today morning and it barely makes any noise - even when the road surface is not that great. Full marks to Conti for that. And the ride is amazing too. Like I have mentioned before, if I had known this, I might have gotten 16" for the Fiesta. But apart from aesthetics, I love the ride and handling balance of the car right now.

I got a chance to drive in not so good rain too - the one where the road surface is full of grime and not that clean. But the Conti was totally fine. It can hold the line through a corner very well - and I really like the way the steering feels as well.

The only thing that I do not know is how robust the tyre is. Michelin was totally fine here - I have climbed atop slabs, rocks and the sidewalls just smirked. I am not sure how UC6 is going to hold up on that aspect. But for everything else, it's a very worthy buy!
deetjohn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 23:04   #419
BHPian

Replaced my Yoko RV02 with UC6 a couple of days ago. RV02 ran 60k and still over 3 mm of tread left, but i felt that they were getting hard and compromising the ride quality. I drive an Ecosport diesel, tyres are stock sized, 205/60 R16.
Anyway, drove almost 500 km in these 2 days or so, over a wide variety of roads, country, state highways, national highways, broken mountain roads.. Almost everything.
Three things stand out for me. First, the ride quality is plush, the Yoko always had a hard edge to them, it wasn't uncomfortable, but you could just feel that 'thunk' from the suspension over sharp bumps. Now it still feels firm, but not crashy as before.
Second, they're quiet, really quiet. Sometimes on good roads, combined with the relatively plush ride, it feels like the car is gliding. The Yoko wasn't loud either, even after 60k km, but there was an underlying hum which you could hear, i wouldn't call it obtrusive though. But there's a segment of road on my daily commute of 120 km, that makes the UC6 roar, thankfully it's a fast straight and it passes in like 3 seconds.
Third, they grip well. I can feel the car changing direction quicker when i turn the steering wheel. My wife felt that i was being too aggressive with the steering inputs.
The only con i could find so far is that the steering feels a tad less chatty to me. Maybe cuz they're softer, i don't know.
All in all, a good decision, I'd say. It fixed the one problem i had with the Yokos, the silence and the grip are added benefits.
DrAakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:44   #420
Senior - BHPian

Just swapped out the oem Bridgestone ecopia with steel rims at 100 kms for the UC6 tyres and oem alloys at Super tyres, Mulund.

These tyres are superb. So quiet and plush compared to the ecopia. These are new in this size apparently and better than the CC5 according to the owner of the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-img_20201227_110622.jpg  

Continental tyres-img_20201227_111301.jpg  

Continental tyres-img_20201227_111801.jpg  

Continental tyres-img_20201227_113717.jpg  

Continental tyres-img_20201227_150004.jpg  

straight6 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks