Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2006, 13:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Ysablekid, no fouling at all on good to reasonably good roads. On bad roads, they foul only if you're not careful enough. If you hit a really bad pothole the rear tyres rub against the lip of the tyre wells. The tyres stick out of the tyre wells (front and back) by less than a cm. Not very noticeable actually (I hate to see the tyres sticking out). It's the part that sticks out that rubs. The front tyres don't at all foul inside the tyre-wells even when you turn them to the max (unless you hit a pothole at an unreasonably fast speed for a bad road). I've done about 1800km (of all kinds of roads) on the new tyres, so this should hold good for all times.

The funny thing is, I feel the (notoriously huge) turning radius of the Palio seems to have been reduced a bit after I upsized. Is this possible at all? Gurus?

Here are some pics, so you can see how the tyres look on the car:

Old 28th August 2006, 14:20   #47

Hydrashok, thanks for the info. Nice car. I particular like the rear side snapshot; love the stance of your car on its new footwear, wow!!, with the fog (or is it smog?) as backdrop. and the alloys also look good.

The gurus shud let u know if the upsizing of tyres has any effect on the turning radius.
Old 28th August 2006, 14:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

@hydrashok

Nice ride dude.!!!!

The rear tyre fouling can scrape the tyre badly....Also these Michelin rubbers are on the softer side....
I had a similar problem in my zen n got the wheel wells hammered from inside by a plastic hammer n now the problem's gone.....
Old 28th August 2006, 19:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice words, folks

Ysablekid, that's fog. 6.00AM in the morning. Took the snap on the way to Trivandrum from Kochi last week.

Kpzen, nice idea about the hammer. I think I'll get it done. My heart leaps each time I hear a scrape. And the Michelins are softer. The dealer warned me they would most likely need replacement after 30,000 to 35,000 km.
Old 28th August 2006, 21:35   #50
BHPian

hydrashok is it true that the turning radius has reduced?i dont think such a thing can happen

anyway,the palio's turning radius is a pain.if such a conversion could reduce it i would be the first man to do it.

Last edited by carfreak : 28th August 2006 at 21:40.
Old 28th August 2006, 23:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well... I haven't made any concrete measurements of the turning radius. But, there are a few U-turns that I regularly have to take when I take the car out to the city, and a *tight* 90 degree turn on a narrow road I have to make everyday to get the car into my house. All these turns have become so much more easy and tighter. I really feel the difference on a coupla 'U's on MG Road (Kochi). No more *turn first, back-up a little and quickly complete the turn* now. I get the turn done in one go. This is why I mentioned the turning radius seems to have been reduced a little.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
Well... I haven't made any concrete measurements of the turning radius. But, there are a few U-turns that I regularly have to take when I take the car out to the city, and a *tight* 90 degree turn on a narrow road I have to make everyday to get the car into my house. All these turns have become so much more easy and tighter. I really feel the difference on a coupla 'U's on MG Road (Kochi). No more *turn first, back-up a little and quickly complete the turn* now. I get the turn done in one go. This is why I mentioned the turning radius seems to have been reduced a little.
May be just a feeling bcos of precise steering control provided by low profile perfoemance tyres...
Old 8th September 2006, 02:43   #53

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_997
road noise is almost non exsistent compared to the stock tyres
and the grip is just awesome...
havent had a chance to finish 25 lts... so dont know the mileage yet.
will be going to chennai on the 24th so will let u know how the tyre performs.
Hey, Jayanth

We are waiting for your report on your new tyres perfomance during the trip to chennai and back.
Old 19th September 2006, 22:08   #54
BHPian

hey man
sorry didnt update it...
the tyres rock...
the first thing i noticed was the lack of road noise compared to stock...
the mileage has dropped a bit .5kpl...i guess
not too sure
but the cornering speeds have increased a hell a lot
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:19   #55
BHPian

Tyre Upgrade of Palio Adventure

I've just shifted to Madurai for a couple of months and have had the Fiat sent by a moving company as using buses was getting too restrictive.

Now, the original Pirelli Citynet 175/80 R14's have become completely worn out and 3 of them have had to have tubes put in them.

Once I get the car I'll look at tyre dealers in Madurai or Coimbatore/Bangalore to get a different fit this time.

I'm looking at moving to a 195 section - that IIRC makes it 195/70R14 ?

I would like Michelins due to my liking for the brand - However the MXF Sports which I have in my baleno are out as they cost too much and I somehow feel after a couple of scares on my trips to Himachal and Jaipur that I'd prefer tyres which give you a hint about their limits and not lose traction suddenly. The Certis has done excellent duty our esteem for over 50K's but Iraghava mentioned that the Certis has been stopped due to bulges in the sidewall being a common problem area. He also recommended the Michelin Energy's...(However I am open to other brands as well)

The car will be used on a mix of smooth and broken highway with dirt trails and farm roads. Usage would be in the region of 2000 kms a month so the life of th etyre is an important factor as well. Performance on good roads - important as well....

What would you guys recommend for me ?

cheers

zaphod
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

I would still recommend Michelin Energy Xm1's in 195/70 R14. You could also try Bridgestone Potenza GIII's or Turanza ER 60's.
Old 4th January 2007, 14:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Great to see your post after a long time. How've you been?

195/70/14 is the usual upgrade for the Adventure but is said to reduce the cushioning effect a bit due to its slightly smaller diameter, though the grip is said to improve.

Hankook offers the size 195/75/14 which should provide both good grip and cushioning effect. I saw this tyre on a Qualis whose rim and tyre size are identical to those of Adventure, making finding Adventure tyres easier. Hankook tyre has off-road type tread which is preferable for the Adventure.

Since you plan to drive on broken roads and dirt trails too, you should go in for light truck tyres (usually labelled LT). They should be sturdier and longer lasting.

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 4th January 2007 at 14:29.
Old 4th January 2007, 16:47   #58
BHPian

please remember you need to have 5.5" wide alloys to mount 195 section rubber, it is available in Bridgestone RE 88 Potenza, I would recomend this brand because they offer warranty, and arecomem=nded tyre for your vehicle
Old 4th January 2007, 16:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

Dont go for the Potenza RE-88 bridgestone. The tyres were horrible on the lancer. They used to get cut so easily and were a pain with frequent punctures.

I'd suggest the bridgetone G-III potenza or turanza ER-60.

But the Adventure comes with offroad tyres if I'm right. The turanza will be available only in 195/60R14.

The michelin Energy's are also good tyres.
Old 4th January 2007, 17:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

whats the size of the stock alloys 14x ?? J ....? 5J or 5.5J ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks