Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 21:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I went to Swamy AUto Services - they've quoted a price of Rs 3400/- per tyre - Michelin Energy XM1 195/70R14.

Will be getting the car by Tuesday, tyres will come after servicing.
I think Energy XM1 would be a better choice than the Pirellis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I think someone from Chennai also caled them up and said that I would be coming ? thanks ...

zaphod
Old 12th February 2007, 20:08   #77
BHPian

I finally got the XM1's in 195/70 R14 size (haven't posted as my rig was down here and I'd flown to delhi for a couple of weeks).

The grip initially left me unimpressed with the tyres squealing on fast turns and emergency braking - at a much much lower level of stupidity than in my baleno - but after driving for a bit it seems to have improved.

After driving for around 500 odd km's I've realised :

1. The tyres are decent - a bit overpriced but if their longetivity is the same as other Michelins, I'll be happy
2. The Adventure's suspension is bloody brilliant - I've been barrelling down badly broken roads at 80-100, smooth tarmac at 130 (just on stretches where i can be reasonably sure that it's safe)
3. At my normal cruising speed of 100, the car is super comfy and the steering's fine as well.
4. The tyres still don't fill out the wheelwells ! 205 is certainly possible and with the high radius of the tyres, even 16" alloys might not get you exactly low profile in this car.
5. The Adventure will drive me bankrupt if i don't put in AutoLPG soon
6. TN bus drivers are maniacs - they make Haryana Roadways drivers look like kids on a sunday outing.
7. Palio brakes suck....too sudden
8. Driving on a dirt road in a palio adventure is sheer bliss... ahhhh can't begin to describe what it's like.

all in all the tyres are good but the car probably hides their shortcomings.

thanks for your advice folks ....

zaphod
Old 14th February 2007, 18:31   #78

HI Zaphod....

...what you said... your rig was down!......... you work on rigs? if yes,,, you got a company... Its same here got silver frost adventure... in pune and i work in Australia....Havent get much time to explore it yet...you know how time flys..when on 'off'
get back to me......
cheers
rajg
Old 14th February 2007, 20:40   #79
BHPian

sorry rajg ... by rig i meant the other person in my life, my pc .....

anyhow --- my dad's a marine engineer - but on bulkers and containers.....

I'm a displaced comp sc. grad who did his MBA and is now trying to make a living by growing biodiesel so i can put you oil guys outta biz

cheers

zaphod

edit ... yeah - after my wife i have my cars and my pc's .... (though she complains that they mean more to me)
edit : wooot ! all 3 cars in the family wear michelins : esteem on 175/70 R13 Certis , baleno on 195/60 R14 MXF Sport and Adventure on 195/70 R14 XM1 !

Last edited by zaphod : 14th February 2007 at 20:44. Reason: ooooh nothing special.....
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:10   #80
BHPian

help with palio 1.2 tyre choice

hi guys.. my palio 1.2 has run about 30k kms. now the tyres are totally smoothened. Its such a bad situation now and I feel that if I run them more they might have full thickness holes. PLEASE HELP URGENTLY.

REQUIREMENTS:
I use them on some very rough state highways. sometimes having no tarmac, gravel roads and at times on the smooth Goan highways.

i went through a thread where it was suggested to use the same model as the one on palio adventure. but i'm running on 13" stock rims and don't wanna change them.

i don't wanna spend morew than 3K on each tyre.

please suggeas the appropriate brand, model, and upgrades if any.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:43   #81
BHPian

I've fitted one with Pirelli P400 tyres today size is 185/70/R13 looks nice and chunky on stock rims and has decent grip for everyday usage.Comfort level high and noise level low
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

165/80-13 Bridgestone S248 u wont have much options in this size

or 185/70-13 Potenza GIII, Turanza ER60 or Michelin XM1 or ....

Ishan pls confirm the Michelin availability in that size....
Old 22nd February 2007, 23:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Well it is made in that size but not sure if it's sold here. Will only be able to confirm tomorrow.
Old 25th February 2007, 20:40   #84
BHPian

thanks for the options..

can anyone please tell me why one does not recommend buying MRF or APOLLO tyres though they are more easily available?

the local tyre store even told me that there is a replacement warrenty on apollo tyres. and we did replace on of the tyres on our other car through car through the warrenty..
Old 25th February 2007, 23:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Energy or Energy XM comes in 13" size, direct replacement for stock tyres (165/80 R13 I think). I was getting a puncture fixed and alignment done at my Michelin dealer yesterday, and I saw this in some Michelin chart there. Wider options should also be available.
Old 5th March 2007, 22:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionpurple View Post
thanks for the options..

can anyone please tell me why one does not recommend buying MRF or APOLLO tyres though they are more easily available?

the local tyre store even told me that there is a replacement warrenty on apollo tyres. and we did replace on of the tyres on our other car through car through the warrenty..
Interesting observation. I guess we have many people here, who dont prefer Indian brands of tyres and alloys.

Apollo used to give an "unconditional warantee" on some sizes of their tyres. I am not sure if this warantee still continues.
Old 6th March 2007, 09:46   #87
BHPian

Yokohama S 306 175/70 R13 Tubeless is what my new tyres for my 1.2. The cost of this tyre is 2200/- per tyre.
Old 6th March 2007, 11:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionpurple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
Interesting observation. I guess we have many people here, who dont prefer Indian brands of tyres and alloys.
Well the reason that we don't advise going in for Indian tyre brands anymore is because before the entry of MNC's like Bridgestone & Michelin in our market the Indian companies were selling whatever they made regardless of quality, technology upgradation etc.

As a result in our economy-centric market all we had were rock-hard tyres whose sole purpose was to last the longest in our conditions! Grip, ride etc. be damned. But everything changed once Bridgestone came into the picture, it brought improved quality tyres into our market and made radial tyres affordable for all of us. I still remember the days where the only easily available radial tyre was the MRF Zigma-CC with the "Z" pattern copied from Fulda tyres. (remember the sunday morning ads where the Maruti 1000's descended from a spaceship to play football!!) And more than 90% of the cars had to make do with cross-plies.

Now with their big R&D budgets & improved technology the MNC's product range is so superior to the domestic companies like MRF, Ceat, JK etc. that it doesn't make much sense to recommend them when we know the product is sub-standard to the competition. Yes, they are a bit cheaper but are you willing to compromise your safety for a few hundred rupees? Some domestic companies are trying to improve their offering via tie-ups with foreign companies like JK's current range which comes fitted on Swift's is manufactured under license from Continental, Germany but it's a long & hard road considering the size of the big companies.

However, there have been some good products from the domestics in the recent times with the most notable being the Apollo Accelere which by many accounts was a very good tyre for its price. But of late I've heard a few cases of failures in those too.

Bottom line is it's your hard-earned money so buy the best product you get for the price, don't let the Domestic/Foreign issue cloud your judgement.
Old 3rd April 2007, 03:40   #89
BHPian

Go for apollo quantum series

You can go for apollo quantum series as they offer better riding height. They are good and has got thread height.

I too do own an adventure and i think by telling that stock pirellis will worn out by 20 k you mean front tyre and not rear. I get a mileage of around 14 kmpl before 1st service.
Old 19th April 2007, 17:19   #90
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Upsize for Palio 1.2

I am contemplating to upsize my stock Goodyear tyres to Tubeless tyres, the size I am looking for is: 185/70 R-13
I have shortlisted: Michelin Energy XM1 and Bridgestone Potenza G III!

Can the experts suggest which one will be a better buy, with the pros & cons of both?
Thanks in Advance!

Most Viewed