Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 17:39   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I am replacing my original Santro tyres (were Bridgestone, lasted for a good 56K!) with Yokohama AA drive of original specs (155/70/13R). I am getting these tyres from tyreonwheels.com. Choose this portal as the prices being offered were really good and also they provide a doorstep service. The only flipside seems to be the stock they have, especially for the Yokohama range. They have stocks from Nov and Dec 2013 as they have all been imported from Philippines. Please advice if I can still place an order or should I get the tyres from a different place??
What is the total price you are paying for set of 4? When I checked on the same website, they are charging 12442/- and you might have to incur cost for balancing and alignment, which would finally come around 13,500/-.

If you can visit Madhu's on Richmond Circle, you would get a good discount since you are a bhpian.

When I had been there 5 months back, I had paid around 13,800/- for set of 4 including wheel balancing and alignment.

IMO you better visit the shop and buy since you will get a chance to look at the tyres before buying, whereas if you get online and if you find any damage tyre, it might take time to replace or change them.
Old 30th May 2014, 18:05   #707
BHPian

I have a query abt the alloy wheels for a Santro Zing. Im getting a set of 4 alloys which are currently installed on a Santro Zip (old shape).
My tyre guy says that the alloys wont fit on a Zing and we need to get the right size.
The alloys are 13 inch, Aura wheels.
My question is are the (PCD's) alloys different between both the models?? Please help.

Thanks
Ripper
Old 7th July 2014, 22:31   #708
Senior - BHPian

I am changing my Santro Tyres from Good-Year to Michelin XM2. I am going with the stock size 155-70-R13 only.

Has anyone recently purchased XM2 on Santro Stock ? Kindly share some experiences with respect to Performance, Grip and handling. Mileage reduction is not a constraint for me.
Old 9th July 2014, 20:17   #709
BHPian

Hi,

I have been using a Santro Zing for the last year and am thinking of changing the stock tyres 155/70- R 13 to a slightly higher profile 155/80- R 13 hoping to get slightly better ground clearance as I use the car on some fairly rough roads.

Has anybody done this??? Would like to hear from the experts.

Regards
Arthur
Old 20th September 2014, 10:58   #710
BHPian

I have recently bought 2001 Model Santro Zip drive for my local commute. Everything is stock with the car. Seller has used it very sparingly and still got the stock tyres (DEC 2000). The ODO was showing 41000 KMS when I bought this car and its genuine reading .

Will it be safe to travel with the tires of that age (13 years), I heard that the shelf life of tire itself is around 7 to 8 years. I drive around 45kms daily and after getting this I run around 3000 kms and found no noise and is very stable however, I am a light foot driver and not go beyond 50kmph while driving in city and 80kmph on highways.

Now, my concern is I am planning for a long trip on highway with this car which is 300 Kms, will it be safe to go with these or do I need to change my tires.

Anyone please suggest me
Old 20th September 2014, 14:21   #711
BHPian

As long as the tyres have sufficent tread on them and there are no signs of cracking on the side walls its quite safe to continue using them. Tyres only detoriate when they are parked for a long time in the sun or allowed to go flat...if the car has been in continous use the is no reason to replace the tyres till you wear them down to the tread wear indicators!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
I have recently bought 2001 Model Santro Zip drive for my local commute. Everything is stock with the car. Seller has used it very sparingly and still got the stock tyres (DEC 2000). The ODO was showing 41000 KMS when I bought this car and its genuine reading .

Will it be safe to travel with the tires of that age (13 years), I heard that the shelf life of tire itself is around 7 to 8 years. I drive around 45kms daily and after getting this I run around 3000 kms and found no noise and is very stable however, I am a light foot driver and not go beyond 50kmph while driving in city and 80kmph on highways.

Now, my concern is I am planning for a long trip on highway with this car which is 300 Kms, will it be safe to go with these or do I need to change my tires.

Anyone please suggest me
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 15:51   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
As long as the tyres have sufficent tread on them and there are no signs of cracking on the side walls its quite safe to continue using them. Tyres only detoriate when they are parked for a long time in the sun or allowed to go flat...if the car has been in continous use the is no reason to replace the tyres till you wear them down to the tread wear indicators!!!
Thanks for the response. However, I don't have much knowledge in tracing the cracks on side walls. May be I will post the pictures and you can give me a better suggestion to continue with the existing ones or go for new.
Old 20th September 2014, 20:09   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response. However, I don't have much knowledge in tracing the cracks on side walls. May be I will post the pictures and you can give me a better suggestion to continue with the existing ones or go for new.
pavan_6818,
It is not a practicable solution to take pictures for others to inspect as the complete outer surface area of tyre(s) should be checked.

Instead, it would be better if you take a look at pictures of the problem and then do the inspection yourself.

Here is a picture of a cracked sidewall:

Name:  Tyre Sidewall Cracking.bmp
Views: 4825
Size:  631.4 KB

and a cracked tread:

Name:  Tyre Tread Cracking.bmp
Views: 3841
Size:  589.6 KB

taken from the Bridgestone Australia website.

I would recommend you read the whole article:

Bridgestone Australia - Aged Tyres

Last edited by bharatsomany : 20th September 2014 at 20:20.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 20:48   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seller has used it very sparingly and still got the stock tyres (DEC 2000).

Will it be safe to travel with the tires of that age (13 years),
The tyres should be changed at most after 5 years. Driving on old tyres, can put you in harm's way sooner than you think.
Tyre blowout or Tread separation can happen without warning. Investing 10k now, is a small price to pay for avoiding grievous injury.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:50   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyone please suggest me
Generally the tyres last up to around 45k kms or so after which one has to go for replacement. This is assuming you have rotated the tyres after every 5k kms along with wheel balancing. This helps to even out the wear on all the tyres.
For some users, tyres have lasted 50k kms too.
I would suggest you to take the car to a known person who deals in tyres and ask for his expert opinion on the condition of the tyres.
Old 21st September 2014, 00:14   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be safe to travel with the tires of that age (13 years)
From what I've read, rubber becomes hard and eventually lose the elasticity over time. This would lead to situations where the old tyres end up cracking where a new tyre compound would simply bend and straighten back. Also, the ability of the tyre to grip the road would also decrease once the tyre becomes hard, irrespective of the depth of the tread. So it is advisable to change the tyres even if you are planning to use it only in city driving.
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:22   #717
BHPian

Many thanks for all the responses.

@bharatsomany: Thank you for sharing the pics, I didn't observed any cracks on the side walls. However, the picture of cracked thread is exactly similar to what I noticed on my tires.

@joybhowmik: I agree with you and planning to get new shoes for my car

@suresh_gs: I have contacted few tire dealers, they have different versions about gauging the tire life. some say the life span of the tire is 3-4 years and there after the rubber becomes hard which effects the road grip and braking performance. Some say if you keep idle for a long time then the rubber goes hard because of not using. Running on such condition might lead to suspension problem

@Zenren: you are correct, I have read it in an article about what you mentioned. Thanks for the inputs.

I have finally reached couple of dealers and they are quoting prices as below.

Bridgestone 3400 Yokohoma 3900 Apollo 2900 Michelin 3650 Good Year 2900 Dunlop 2500 Ceat 2600 Hankook 2900

Can you suggest me which one to go.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:36   #718
BHPian

Quote:

Bridgestone 3400 Yokohoma 3900 Apollo 2900 Michelin 3650 Good Year 2900 Dunlop 2500 Ceat 2600 Hankook 2900

Hello Pavan,

We have a 2006 Santro at home and the tyres were changed to Yokohoma A drives approximately 9 months back and they are definitely holding well.
Yoko's are on the harder side compared to Michelin.

Just a few weeks back a friend of mine had the tyres on his Santro 2007 changed to Bridgestone and the feedback is pretty good from his end as well.

Choose accordingly as per your budget and run.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:33   #719
BHPian

I have been using MRF tubeless for the last few months and have found them good. Friends who have used Ceat and Dunlop have said that these are a bit soft.
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:59   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have Good Year GPS2 installed on my Santro. Bought it for Rs 2400 for each corner. It's noisy, but that does not matter much to me.
Overall good all round tyre.

You may want to check changemytyre.com for new offers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks