Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 09:35   #631
BHPian

Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Just a quick question,Does upgrading to 165/65/13 require different air pressure.Stock tyres pressure is 30 psi on all four.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:37   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder
Just a quick question,Does upgrading to 165/65/13 require different air pressure.Stock tyres pressure is 30 psi on all four.
The tire pressure remains the same irrespective of the up size.follow the manufacturer recommended pressure or experiment with few variations till you are satisfied with the comfort of the ride
Old 26th May 2011, 21:42   #633
Senior - BHPian

Hey all,

Am planning to upgrade the tyres on my Santro. The stock size is 155/70R13, but I plan on going a size wider. Please suggest which size would be most suitable for a Santro in 13 inches.

Also, I am looking for tubeless tyres, please suggest some options that can be considered like from Continental, Michelin, yokohama or any other brand.

Thanks.
Old 26th May 2011, 22:33   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
... Please suggest which size would be most suitable for a Santro in 13 inches.

Also, I am looking for tubeless tyres, please suggest some options that can be considered like from Continental, Michelin, yokohama or any other brand.

165/65/13 would do justice to grip, FE and comfort combo. Go for 175 if you need then to look good a.k.a bulge slightly out. but that would also mean more dirt on body.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:39   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
I am waiting to hit the highway with this setup - will post some pics soon!

Cheers!
Arun
Sorry for delay - please find pics of the alloy wheels i recently got for my Santro!

Cheers!
Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0164-large.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0166-large.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0168-large.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0171-large.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0174-large.jpg  

Old 10th July 2011, 19:12   #636
BHPian

guys, my santro has done 10k kms in last 4 yrs, want to make some modifications. As the tyres are quite new, thinking of going for Alloys only.

Can you suggest what are the permissible width? 4.5 J/5 J/ 5.5 J

As i have learnt from this thread that choice of alloys would be very less on the lower width, can the stock tyres be put on 5.5 J? what would be the impact on handling/ comfort?
Old 31st July 2011, 15:05   #637
BHPian

Just upgraded the wheels on my Santro Xing

Alloys - Power Racing 13inches Rs.11.5k (set of 4)
Tyres - Michelin XM1+ 165/65/R13 Rs.3.525k each
Nitrogen - Rs.25 each
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dscn8465a.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dscn8458a.jpg  

Old 18th September 2011, 22:52   #638
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Upgrade For Santro Xing

Two questions: Which brand, and which size.

The Santro is presently running on four Michelin tubeless tyres which are nearing the end of their useful life. I could push them on for another six months without issues, but I wouldn't mind changing them now.

The choices are many:

MRF: Yet to get prices. USP: Long life!

Goodyear: The cheaper version is Rs. 2650/-, while a costlier Duraplus is quoted at Rs. 3180/-. USP: Cheap and durable! Dealer also assures me they grip well.

Michelin: Rs. 3325/- while an upsize (165/65/R13) is Rs. 3500/- Buying four or more tyres together would also entitle me to a free Reebok watch (not that I need one, I seldom wear one). USP: Comfort, noise levels

Maxis: Last quote around a month or more ago was around Rs. 3200/- USP: ? (dealer is almost suggesting it as an option to Michelin)

Others: haven't really looked into JK or Bridgestone or Apollo. Ceat don't have tubeless tyres.

One thing is sure: I would go tubeless again.

I don't mind going for MRF or Goodyear too if the tyres will last me another five years, while providing satisfactory grip. The Santro will primarily be a city car. My yearly running would be around 15k.

Maxis so far is an unknown brand to me, so I want to focus primarily on the three brands: MRF, Goodyear and Michelin. Price obviously is a big part of the equation, the only point being there should be no compromise on the safety aspect. Next to that I don't want to go to the tyre shop every two weeks to get the air pressure checked or to fix some small punctures.

As I understand it, none of the tyres are outright bad, and it's a question of finding the right tradeoff. I want to keep the car for another four years, and so want the tyres to last me till then and without too much time / money spent on their upkeep.

Now the dealer has also suggested looking at an upsize, from 155/70/R13 to 165/65/R13 (Michelins), where the bigger tyre has more load carrying capacity. While I am not too eager to upsize, I wanted to know if it would have any impact on the car's handling or other characteristics.

Last edited by honeybee : 18th September 2011 at 22:53.
Old 19th September 2011, 08:15   #639
BHPian

Re: Tyre Upgrade For Santro Xing

In my opinion, after running Michelins, you wont find the MRF's nice. They are durable but are really noisy.
I recently upgraded from JK to Acceleres and will recommend you to check these as well.

As for handling, an upgrade from 155 to 165 will not change much, however, it will provide additional traction while cornering and braking.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2011, 10:20   #640
Senior - BHPian

Will there be any (I mean ANY) impact on the FE? It's not as if I want to upsize, and so if there are any negatives (specially on the FE part) I want to stay clear of it. I have been quite happy with the stock size.

The main reason for including MRF into the equation is durability. In short if I don't have to check the tyre pressure every morning or worry about punctures every other week, I want to seriously think of those.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:09   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
MRF: Yet to get prices. USP: Long life!

Goodyear: The cheaper version is Rs. 2650/-, while a costlier Duraplus is quoted at Rs. 3180/-. USP: Cheap and durable! Dealer also assures me they grip well.

Michelin: Rs. 3325/- while an upsize (165/65/R13) is Rs. 3500/- Buying four or more tyres together would also entitle me to a free Reebok watch (not that I need one, I seldom wear one). USP: Comfort, noise levels

I want to keep the car for another four years, and so want the tyres to last me till then and without too much time / money spent on their upkeep.
If you want to keep them for another 4-5 years then the MRF, Goodyear and Michelin would surely last that long. I have used MRF on my Indica and they were good for over 40K Kms before i sold the car. My Baleno came with Goodyear and they are also known to last long (mine lasted about 47K), i could have used then for about 3-4K more but decided to change them.

Currently i am on Bridgestones and in the last 10K Kms they have served me well and have confidence that they will last another 40K minimum.

You have already tried Michelin's before, so i don't think there will be an element of surprise and they can serve you again for many many years.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:51   #642
BHPian

my xing has been running with 175/60/R13 bridgestone potenza g3 since june 2008.

40,000 km on the odometer ,no issues at all with the tyres(apart from a couple of punctures)

road grip is awesome

i do the regular alignment/balancing/rotation every 5000km

you might want to consider them for sure
Old 19th September 2011, 13:04   #643
BHPian

I am also in similar boat, looking for tyre change for my wife Santro A/T and planning to put 165/65/R13 as per suggestions from this forum. I have only one question (as I already decided on Michelin, same I use on my NHC and happy). This Santro goes on very rough roads and bad ditches, considering this as requirement, what would be the best brand you can suggest.
Thanks for suggestions.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:10   #644
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have decided: I am not going for an upsize. I don't want to mess with my odo figures and get my FE impacted in ANY WAY.

Checked on JustDial and received a call from Virani Tyres, Kharghar. He quoted a range of tyres starting from as low as 2000/-. There are some imported brands, I didn't catch their names, but they seem to carry a 40k/3year warranty! Mounting, alignment, balancing would of course be free.

Now there's another question: Do I hunt for the cheapest bargain, or stick to my trusted tyre seller even if I have to spend a few bucks extra? For e.g. Michelins at this Kharghar place are at least Rs. 100 cheaper at Kharghar than my local shop, and for five tyres, I am sure I could squeeze out something more. So the difference would amount to about 1k if not more, on the whole deal. Is it worth sacrificing a relationship?
Old 5th October 2011, 16:01   #645

New tyre

Hi,

I own a Hyundai Santro XP. Have existing Bridgestone S322 tyres. Can anybody suggest a good tyre to replace the current Bridgestone S322 tyres as they are wearing out now. Almost done 68000 kms.

Thanks BHP,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks