Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 22:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, a very informative write-up on WA & WB. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2010, 12:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nikhil,
Thanks for this wonderful thread.
Could you kindly suggest a place in Bangalore where you think they would do a good job for a leaf sprung vehicle?
Thanks buddy.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th February 2010, 12:37   #18
BHPian

Really very informative post.
Thanks for the same i was searching in Google for the details. Please post some wheel balancing reports for better understanding
Old 14th February 2010, 15:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Will post more info about wheel balancing later tonight.
Old 17th February 2010, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very nice and informative thread Nikhil.

A suggestion maybe you can add about Tyre Rotation too (both 4 / 5 wheel)
Old 17th February 2010, 16:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is there any order as in balancing before allignment ?
Old 17th February 2010, 17:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Is there any order as in balancing before allignment ?
I think its like
Balancing > Rotation (if you are getting it done) > Alignment
Old 18th February 2010, 00:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no order as such.

Usually balancing is done before rotation simply because first they remove all 4 wheels, balance it and then fit it to your vehicle. When they fit it, they fit it in the new "rotated" positions.

Usually WB is done before WA, but it doesnt matter. When you do WA, you dont really touch the wheels as such and you dont change the balance in them.

Also, when you do WB, you dont actually touch the suspension(which is what is worked on during WA).

So, it doesnt matter.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Hi Nikhil, I am riding on JK Vectra on my swift ZXi which are stock tires. They have run now 40K and probably will do another 3 to 4k before they become flats. I have consistently done the wheel rotation and wheel alignment at regular intervals of 5k as recommended by Maruti. When I keenly observed I see that two of my wheels have worn out much faster when compared to other two. Spare almost not used or may have been rotated in 5 wheel rotation fashion. I am just concerned about what could be the cause, currently the worn outs are running on the rear and less worn out are running on the front. Also the wheel alignment was mostly done using the two sensors placed at the front as I couldn't find a wheel shop which does on all four. Is this could be the reason that my rear suspension is faulty or is misaligned due to which only two have worn out much faster.

I will be shifting to Yoko's next time as it is somewhat has received good feedback. I would like to either go with the stock size of 185/70 or should go with 195/65. Please advice.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Next time, why dont you try a place like Ashoka wheels for wheel alignment? I hear they do a good job for WA.

Without looking at the tyres, I cannot say why two have worn more, but it sounds normal. sometimes, even when you do regular wheel rotation, this can happen.

I would suggest the stock size of 185/70 R14.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

My Ford Ikon has done almost 50K in about 5.5 years and I am still using the original MRF ZVTS tyres that came with it. Now for the past year or so the suspension/shocks (I dont really know what) have been making creaking sounds everytime the car goes over speed breakers or potholes. There is also a slight pull towards the right. I have recently noticed that the right front has worn out a lot more than the front left. The wear is totally even and not prominent at any particualr place on the tyre. Is is due to a wheel allignment or a balancing issue? I have never done either of them before.
Now I am thinking of getting new tyres for the front and get a suspension overhaul to take care of all the creakings and sounds. Now is there anything in particular order that I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dude, awesome bit of information! Need your help now to understand a minor problem in my car!

When I step on the brakes the steering vibrates slightly and also when I am driving slow and changing lanes, I feel a slight vibration on the steering!

Is this anything to do with screwed up tyres/alignment/balancing? Or worst case a suspension fault!?
Old 24th February 2010, 15:06   #28
BHPian

Nikhil ---> The steering in the Indica Vista does not self centre. Is this a problem with the caster?
I discussed this with the *** but they refuted my claim & said that the problem was something else. No further explanations.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Dude, awesome bit of information! Need your help now to understand a minor problem in my car!

When I step on the brakes the steering vibrates slightly and also when I am driving slow and changing lanes, I feel a slight vibration on the steering!

Is this anything to do with screwed up tyres/alignment/balancing? Or worst case a suspension fault!?
The problem is mainly due to steering coloum rack & Bush.

Steering Coloum has a rack which is passed inside a bush.
The problem can be rectified by getting the steering overhaul or It is more advisable to get the complete steering changed,altough it cost more but last more at the same time.

+ Also get balancing performed for your car.

First Try Balancing if it is a minor balancing issue it would be resolved
If Not get the steering work done.

Also kindly let us know how much is your car driven in KMS.

Thanks
Old 24th February 2010, 15:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Nikhil. Here are few questions that come to our mind. It would be nice if you can clarify -

1. WA - Is there a way to trick the system to show all the readings are within tolerance limits. I ask you this because it may be easier for mechanics to trick the system and take out an OK report than to correct the Toe or camber for example.

2. WA - I hear that WA of only front wheels are sufficient for all Front wheel drives. Is this true? If yes then why do we have rear wheel instruments.

3. WB - is there a max limit of weights that can be used on a wheel during balancing without affecting either the car or the drive.

Would appreciate your responses on the above.

Most Viewed