Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 13:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread, Nikhil. Regarding camber, I have noticed that i20 has a negative camber, or atleast visually it appears so, especially from the rear. Can anyone confirm this, and does it need to be corrected?
Old 6th August 2010, 23:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Flyingspur, check the specs in the car manual. I havent noticed any negative camber on the i20, but then I have never examined our i20 in so much detail.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Flyingspur, check the specs in the car manual. I havent noticed any negative camber on the i20, but then I have never examined our i20 in so much detail.
Cool, I'll have a look. Next time you are standing behind an i20, just observe it. It appears to have a negative camber, visually.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:22   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil, just one query.

I got my Mahindra Scorpio's leaf springs (rear) re-cambered and stiffened with an additional leaf, since they were sagging. I got this done at a leaf spring repairer's garage.

The rear height has now increased by almost one and a half inches.

What checks do I need to do?

I was particularly concerned about the thrust angle (please refer the bottom of the page on the link below, for more clarity on this point) because, after the spring cambering job, the mechanics just pushed the axle (with their legs, near each wheel !) till the end of travel of the common link rod on the axle, before re-tightening the U bolts on the leafs, and certifying "All OK"

Wheel Alignment A Short Course

Thanks in advance
Old 10th August 2010, 11:33   #95
BHPian

Friends,

I did wheel balancing and wheel alignment for every 5000kms. Now reached 20000kms.

I observed that my front tires have worn out more than my rear tires.
Is this due to wheel balancing/alignment?

My tire rotation is regularly done at tyre prof, Bangalore. Not sure why the front tires worned out early. And this is CPC2 bought in 2009. (Dec 2008 manufactured).

Any suggestions?
Old 10th August 2010, 16:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

^^^Is the wear very even? If yes, I would seriously doubt that the tire rotation was correctly done. Did you get it done in front of you?
Old 13th August 2010, 23:37   #97
BHPian

Firstly thanks a lot for the very informative thread Nikhil. Now i wont be standing there looking hopelessly into the alignment computer!

Am planning on getting wheel alignment (and possibly balancing also) done.
Can someone guide me on what all settings are possible for alto. (front/rear toe-in, front/rear camber etc). I remember the last time the guy only put the sensors on the front wheel and left the rear as it is :(
Preferably also the recommended values and tolerances, so that i know if the guy is doing the alignment properly.
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:28   #98
BHPian

Swift camber out of spec

Hi,
I had excessive wear on the inside of the front tires (stock jk 165) on my swift vdi. This happened after 20000 Km service and alignment done at MASS. so I went to madhus to check alignment and was told there was some mis alignment and it was corrected. The person at madhus recommended wearing out the tires and go for replacement. This was around 24k mark. Now at 30 k kms the tires are again worn out with the same pattern and had to go for tire change.

After deciding to stick with stock size later realized maybe I would go for upsize of 185/70. This was done at bridgestone select at btm. All 5 tyres where changed.

The alignment guys mentioned that the camber is out of spec and the struts on front left needs to be replaced. The camber reading is 1'38

Please advice how I should proceed. Is it possible struts get worn within 30000 kms? If so how much will I expect to spare for this? Can this be covered under extended warranty?

Also, the spare wheel retaining nuts are short so will zxi nuts work or how other people with upsize manage?

Inputs on this highly appreciated.

Last edited by ramkris : 22nd August 2010 at 13:32.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
how is wheel alignment done using a Camber bolt?
The camber bolt is used to adjust the camber in the front suspension of IFS cars that have a suspension damage. Some use spacers that are welded
instead of the camber bolts!

@Nikhil: Thanks for this wonderful thread.

Now I know what you had done to your NHC to aid handling .
Old 6th September 2010, 18:06   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

@Nikhil: Thanks for this wonderful thread.

Now I know what you had done to your NHC to aid handling .
I wish I had done something! It was bone stock
Old 9th September 2010, 01:12   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Firstly thanks a lot for the very informative thread Nikhil. Now i wont be standing there looking hopelessly into the alignment computer!

Am planning on getting wheel alignment (and possibly balancing also) done.
Can someone guide me on what all settings are possible for alto. (front/rear toe-in, front/rear camber etc). I remember the last time the guy only put the sensors on the front wheel and left the rear as it is :(
Preferably also the recommended values and tolerances.
Would love to hear an experts views on this
Old 9th September 2010, 16:24   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Gupta, there are no rear adjustments for the Alto.

Anyway, alignment, when done for either the front or the rear has to be measured with respect to all 4 wheels. Old alignment machines dont measure the readings at the rear and so are not accurate enough. I wont blame the guy as the machine might be old and he might be doing the correct job given the machine.
Old 11th September 2010, 14:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Nice thread, Nikhil. Regarding camber, I have noticed that i20 has a negative camber, or atleast visually it appears so, especially from the rear. Can anyone confirm this, and does it need to be corrected?
I also visually noticed negative camber in rear wheels in lot of i20s and old Indicas. i20 owners please confirm. Is that an inherent issue with i20?
Old 13th September 2010, 15:00   #104
BHPian

Do sudden Acceleration/Breaks will add to uneven tyre wear, tyre unbalance.

If so ABS also helps preventing unbalance by avoiding wheel lock?
Old 17th September 2010, 17:44   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Do sudden Acceleration/Breaks will add to uneven tyre wear, tyre unbalance.

If so ABS also helps preventing unbalance by avoiding wheel lock?
Sudden acceleration and braking will definitely screw up your tyres. ABS avoids wheel lock and that way it does help the tyres but sudden and acceleration will still have a detrimental effect even if the tyres dont lock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks