Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 16:53   #121
BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Just got back from Madhus. I had got an allignment job recently and a week later realized that the car was pulling to left. Took it back and they swapped the front tires around. Drove back and the same problem, so i took it back again. This time they did an alignment check, tire pressure(was told that pressure was set very high) and made some alignment corrections. Seems to be fine now, though will have to drive more to check in detail.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Very nice article Nikhil.

They swapped the front and back tyres (on the LHS) and it's fine now.
Is this a correct solution? Should they have checked the alignment again after swapping?
I am not an expert. But I wonder why they swapped the LHS tyres. Instead if they swap the F tyres and then if there is a right pulling then we can say correctly that the alignment is OK and problem is with tyres.
If your Ftyre had problem then it won't much deflect when it is in back. Experts can correct me.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:04   #123
BHPian

Is wheel alighment mandatory for every 10000 kms?

I wanted to do this for my 2008 SX4. But my service advisor always says wheel alignment is not necessary unless there is a car pulling to a side problem.

He says that cars like SX4 come with alloys wheels and the alignment will not change unless there is major impact while driving.

My car has run 43k now without any wheel alignment done so far. But I do not see any issues so far. The car runs straight when I leave the steering.

Am I doing the right thing? I'll be changing new tyres soon. Should I do wheel alignment while changing new tyres or just change the tyres without wheel alignment?

Experts please share your opinion.
Old 26th February 2011, 10:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post

I wanted to do this for my 2008 SX4. But my service advisor always says wheel alignment is not necessary unless there is a car pulling to a side problem.

He says that cars like SX4 come with alloys wheels and the alignment will not change unless there is major impact while driving.

My car has run 43k now without any wheel alignment done so far. But I do not see any issues so far. The car runs straight when I leave the steering.

Am I doing the right thing? I'll be changing new tyres soon. Should I do wheel alignment while changing new tyres or just change the tyres without wheel alignment?

Experts please share your opinion.
a very good explanation can be found here How often do I really need to have my wheels... — Yahoo! Autos
good luck
Old 26th February 2011, 13:42   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post
It is not MANDATORY but its good practise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
a very good explanation can be found here How often do I really need to have my wheels... — Yahoo! Autos
good luck
The explanation is good but leaves a lot of factors untold. Nevermind!
Old 27th February 2011, 19:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

Have a query on Tyre balancing!

When we do tyre balancing at regular intervals, do we need to remove the weights (that was put in the previous balancing) & then do the balancing?
OR do the balancing along with the existing weights?
Old 27th February 2011, 19:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Have a query on Tyre balancing!

When we do tyre balancing at regular intervals, do we need to remove the weights (that was put in the previous balancing) & then do the balancing?
OR do the balancing along with the existing weights?
A good practice is to ensure there are minimum effective weights on the rims as possible. Different tyre shops do it different ways, though i'd prefer they remove all weights.
Old 27th February 2011, 20:10   #128
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Headers for the info, I also feel it is better to remove all weights & then do the balancing.
Nikhil, what do you suggest?
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:08   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Finney, I agree. We in fact follow the practice of removing all old weights before doing the wheel balancing.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:21   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to inform you guys about the new things happening in the world of wheel alignment.

Hunter has a new alignment system.

HawkEye Elite Alignment System - Greater profit and productivity through innovation

HawkEye Elite Alignment System - Greater profit and productivity through innovation

The new clamp feature is innovative but my favourite feature is the VIN scanning tool.

This is a handheld tool which scans the VIN barcode on the car and loads the specifications for THAT PARTICULAR car. I wonder how well this will work on Indian cars but if works well, it will be FANTASTIC!

The geek in me LOVES the new ipod/iPhone/iPad compatibility. There is an app to be downloaded for free from the App store and then you can control the Win align software from below the car and see the readings and make adjustments accordingly. This is not of much real world use in my opinion, but it's geeky!

The bundling of Code Link is also a nice addition. This though is not of much use in India. In the US, Europe and advanced markets it will be much more useful.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

I haven’t done wheel alignment/balancing on my WagonR since 12,000 KMs and I have no issues in handling, car moving towards left/right etc.
Please suggest me whether should I go for wheel alignment/balancing immediately or wait for some more KMs.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:40   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I haven’t done wheel alignment/balancing on my WagonR since 12,000 KMs and I have no issues in handling, car moving towards left/right etc.
Please suggest me whether should I go for wheel alignment/balancing immediately or wait for some more KMs.
You should be doing it every 5k kms. It's highly recommended.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What does your Owners manual specify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You should be doing it every 5k kms. It's highly recommended.
It is recommended that you stick to manufacturers recommendation. Only if you see anything abnormal resort to a preventive maintenance check. Can't attach a ball park figure to this IMHO.

Spike
Old 30th March 2011, 16:04   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What does your Owners manual specify?
The owner manual doesn't specify anything related to alignment. It just mentions about the tyre rotation every 5000 KM.
Old 30th March 2011, 16:38   #135
BHPian

I didn't know about wheel balancing until i found my car wobbling at speeds of 80km/h. It starts when i am about to reach 80 and disappears around 85+. My car was then 12k and only had undergone wheel rotation. I gave for balancing but the problem still persists even though its lesser compared to before balancing. Is it really a problem of balancing or i am facing some other issue? Anyone faced such an issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks