Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 17:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, could you please share the wheel alignment specifications for Santro Xing?

Spike
Old 11th October 2010, 17:05   #107
BHPian

I got the wheel alignment done for my Civic. In a perfectly flat road, like the electronics city to silk board fly over, the alignment is perfect. The car goes rock straight even at speeds of 100 kmph for a long distance. BUT when driven on other roads, say GQ, where the road slightly inclines towards the left, the car pulls towards left noticeably. I drove 350 kms yesterday and my shoulder pains now! IF the road is inclined towards right, the car pulls towards right. In my Inidca i do not face this problem. Can anyone explain the reason ? One theory is that the distance between the two wheels is larger in Civic compared to Indica and even a slight slope has pronounced effect. Then the question is whether all Civic owners or a D segment car owners (high width of the car) face a similar issue ?
Old 11th October 2010, 17:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

looks like you toe-in settings are incorrect! Can you please post your WA settings for our BIG BOSS to comment?
Old 11th October 2010, 20:26   #109
BHPian

Here are the alignment reports.

Before the first report:
Car was pulling to the left significantly.

After the first report:
Car was pulling to the left significantly.

After the second report:
Refer My previous post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2101870
Attached Thumbnails
Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-alignment-report-1.jpg  

Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-alignment-report-2.jpg  

Last edited by idofsuresh : 11th October 2010 at 20:27.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:17   #110
Senior - BHPian

Well I am no expert but a simple look at the second report shows that the initial and the final Caster readings for the Front left and right as well as the readings for the SAI under Secondary angles are way out of the range compared to the values specified. You could have those corrected and then recheck.

Surprisingly in the first report the caster readings for the front are left blank. What I would like to know is whether the set up in the Civic allows for all three settings i.e caster, camber and toe. I doubt that it does.

Also in the first report the rear wheel values are not even specified. In the second not only are they specified but the before and after readings show adjustments. I thought only the Beemers and others in similar vehicle class required and allowed for rear wheel alignment.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Well I am no expert but a simple look at the second report shows that the initial and the final Caster readings for the Front left and right as well as the readings for the SAI under Secondary angles are way out of the range compared to the values specified. You could have those corrected and then recheck.

Surprisingly in the first report the caster readings for the front are left blank. What I would like to know is whether the set up in the Civic allows for all three settings i.e caster, camber and toe. I doubt that it does.

Also in the first report the rear wheel values are not even specified. In the second not only are they specified but the before and after readings show adjustments. I thought only the Beemers and others in similar vehicle class required and allowed for rear wheel alignment.

Nothing to worry about the castor. The problem with the reports above is that the "specifications" are incorrect. The numbers there belong to 2001+ civic. In 2006+ civic, the castor angle is 7+-1. Hence the castor angles are well within range. Same should hold true with other angles as well. Check the workshop manual (download). idofsuresh, you better do wheel alignment at some place where they have readings for 2006+ civic. I did mine at Madhus.

BTW, my Civic too has the behaviour as described by idofsuresh. Except that it is so mild that it is not a real bother. I however feel that the first couple of kms in the elevated expressway has a slope towards the center, and holding the steering straight while driving on the right lane is a pain. I was thinking that my car's allignment has been screwed up until I drove my friend's palio on the same road.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:48   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me do some digging into this and get back to you guys.
Old 17th October 2010, 23:10   #113
BHPian

Hello all,

Can someone post the possible adjustments for NHC ZX (front/rear; toe-in/camber/castor). Am going to get it done in a couple of days, would like to know what all values can be corrected.

Also do all the previous weights have to be removed while doing wheel balancing again?

Last edited by guptavis : 17th October 2010 at 23:12.
Old 18th October 2010, 00:55   #114
BHPian

Thanks Civic sense and Khoj. I did a little bit of research on the 8th gen civic values. I found from a post in the 8thcivic.com that the castor angle is 6 deg to 8 deg. The alignment shop technician selected "Honda Civic" while doing the alignment - I am now convinced the recommended values they set are incorrect. At the same time I think the correctness of the recommended values makes sense only if they are adjusting the caster or camber to that value, which they don't do anyway. I doubt whether it has anything to do with the quality of alignment.

@Khoj: First couple of Kilo meters in which direction ? From EC to Silk Board or from Silk Board to EC ? Inclined towards the centre means car pulls right ?
Old 18th October 2010, 12:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
@Khoj: First couple of Kilo meters in which direction ? From EC to Silk Board or from Silk Board to EC ? Inclined towards the centre means car pulls right ?

I believe the query above was meant for another member!!
Old 18th October 2010, 20:04   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
From EC to Silk Board. The right lane is very uneven with a slant towards the right. So the car pulls towards the right slightly and needs constant correction of the steering. Even for the entire stretch, the left lane is the better one. Well, if only the bikes kept away.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:09   #117
BHPian

My GP pulling towards left

Thanks Nikhil for very informative article. I observed recently that my brand new GP is pulling towards left. Today I have shown the vehicle to *** center.
They checked the alignment and did the toe adjustment. The problem is still there. So they asked me to drop the vehicle for suspension check. What will be the role of brake getting jammed on wheel in left pulling. My GP has done 1200 km. I was unaware of the technical details of alignment so could not figure out the actual work(with data) that has done at *** center.
Now after going through your article I think next time I could able to figure out what is happening. What are the things they do in suspension check.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:34   #118
BHPian

left pulling:update

I had show the vehicle to MRF alignment center. Their approach was to first interchange the front tyres and check for any right pulling. If right pulling is there then definitely the problem will be with tyre. Otherwise it can be due to faulty alignments. But before doing that they noticed that the front left tyre is slightly displaced toward rear compared to the front right one. In that case definitely it will cause left pulling. So they advised me to reort it to A.S.S to rectify it under warranty.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:47   #119
BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

I have one more query. Can the A.S.S people do the caster adjustment. Is it allowed? TASS people told that they will try to adjust the caster and if it is not possible they will replace the necessary parts. My biggest worry is whether it will change the originality of the car?
Old 9th December 2010, 15:35   #120
BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Very nice article Nikhil.

Last week I got Balancing and Alignment done for my Palio SDX at Good Year dealer, Indiranagar. After alignment, the car was pulling to the left significantly. Took the car back to them. They swapped the front and back tyres (on the LHS) and it's fine now.
Is this a correct solution? Should they have checked the alignment again after swapping?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks