Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 21:06   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
See pic. Cooper. France. 2019. RFT. Useless.

Ref homegrown brands Im not sure for your specific tyre size requirement.
In March 2020, I blew a runflat on a Mini Cooper at Sakleshpur. Hobbled towards Hassan and the tyre finally shredded. Reached home on a flat bed at 4 am. Only got the car back in July 2020 courtesy COVID. After that, I have been very wary. Even with the M4 which I used in the UK, I took no chances on minor potholes.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th October 2022 at 21:07.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
After that, I have been very wary. Even with the M4 which I used in the UK, I took no chances on minor potholes.
Exactly my experience. This sort of acts like a spoiler.

I couldn’t enjoy X1 as much as I enjoyed driving Jetta, until I changed to the normal tubeless tyres.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 01:43   #258

Can we go ahead with R17 tyre (BRIDGESTONE TURANZA T005 225/55 R 17 TUBELESS CAR TYRE) instead of the current R18 I have. Will this have any adverse impact. Unable to find Turanza's in R18.
Attached Thumbnails
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-0c41a37f6b6d4447a81bafb4bb4140b9.jpeg  

Old 17th October 2022, 07:20   #259
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat83 View Post
Can we go ahead with R17 tyre (BRIDGESTONE TURANZA T005 225/55 R 17 TUBELESS CAR TYRE) instead of the current R18 I have. Will this have any adverse impact. Unable to find Turanza's in R18.
How will you put these on unless you change the rims themselves?

Please see the attached link for some options.

https://www.tyremarket.com/Search/Car-Tyres/225-50-R18

You shall need to up the budget a bit, but in my view, if you do so, you will get a much better result.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:27   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat83 View Post
I suggest you go for the 225/55R18s instead. The taller sidewalls will give better comfort and are less damage prone, which is important because you’re no longer on RFTs, and this size is also cheaper than 225/50s. You can get Vredesteins for under 15k per tyre.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:48   #261
BHPian

Dear Experts,

It is finally time to replace OEM tires on my X4 (Bridgestone Alenza 245/50 r19 RFT all tires) after 30k Kms and, I am not looking at going for a different size. Cos of the peculiar size, there are no tubeless tires in this size and, there are only 2 options in RFTs - Pirelli P ZERO™ (PZ4) and BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001.

I use my X4 ONLY for highway/non city driving and, the OEM RFT tires have not given me any trouble even on some of the worst patches. Also, I generally maintain good speeds (100+) and ONLY sometimes push a little further, when it is completely safe.

Cost wise, based on the quotes that I received until now, Pirelli is cheaper (nearly 8k per tire: 8*4 = 32k overall) than Bridgestone.

Need help, in general from your experiences, to understand the difference between these 2 tires in terms of
1. Ride quality and comfort
2. Build quality (to handle occasional rough patches or medium depth/sized unexpected pothole)
3. Handling esp at 80-120 kmph
4. Typical Tire worn-out kms/replacement cycle
Also, please feel free to comment on any other factors that I may have missed listing here.

Appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kiran_aithal : 22nd October 2022 at 21:51. Reason: Added detail
kiran_aithal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 00:30   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post

Cos of the peculiar size, there are no tubeless tires in this size and, there are only 2 options in RFTs - Pirelli P ZERO™ (PZ4) and BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001.
Hi, just want to point out that in case you’re inclined towards non-RFT tyres, you have the option of Apollo Aspire 4G or Michelin PS4, would help if you mention the amount you were quoted for the Bridgestones and Pirellis.

Also, what’s your spare tyre situation? Do you have a space saver type spare?

Quote:

I use my X4 ONLY for highway/non city driving and, the OEM RFT tires have not given me any trouble even on some of the worst patches. Also, I generally maintain good speeds (100+) and ONLY sometimes push a little further, when it is completely safe.

Cost wise, based on the quotes that I received until now, Pirelli is cheaper (nearly 8k per tire: 8*4 = 32k overall) than Bridgestone.

Need help, in general from your experiences, to understand the difference between these 2 tires in terms of
1. Ride quality and comfort
2. Build quality (to handle occasional rough patches or medium depth/sized unexpected pothole)
3. Handling esp at 80-120 kmph
4. Typical Tire worn-out kms/replacement cycle
Also, please feel free to comment on any other factors that I may have missed listing here.

Appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance!
If you’ve followed my posts, I would have frequently urged BHPians who had issues with RFTs to switch to non-RFTs - indeed, many have done so. However I’m also a firm believer of the adage - do not fix something which is not broken - which seems to be the case with RFTs for you as you say that they have been trouble free so far.

Before I make any recommendation, need your input on a few things - what is the make of the stock tyres which you are changing? If my memory serves me right I’d say they are Bridgestone Alenzas on the X4, but please do confirm.

Another, is there any specific performance parameter that you’re looking to improve from the current set? For example, are you looking for more comfort, or more life than the 30k you got? Or is it the case that you are perfectly happy with your current set?

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 23rd October 2022 at 00:31.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 10:16   #263
BHPian

Thanks for reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hi, just want to point out that in case you’re inclined towards non-RFT tyres, you have the option of Apollo Aspire 4G or Michelin PS4, would help if you mention the amount you were quoted for the Bridgestones and Pirellis.

Also, what’s your spare tyre situation? Do you have a space saver type spare?
Since I have had no issues with RFT, would like to stick to them (Also do not want to affect the vehicle warranty).
Amount quoted for Bridgestone is 36 and 37k, for Pirelli is 28k per tire.

I have a space saver in the vehicle, never used.

Quote:
what is the make of the stock tyres which you are changing? If my memory serves me right I’d say they are Bridgestone Alenzas on the X4, but please do confirm.
That is correct - Bridgestone Alenza 245/50 R19

Quote:
Another, is there any specific performance parameter that you’re looking to improve from the current set? For example, are you looking for more comfort, or more life than the 30k you got? Or is it the case that you are perfectly happy with your current set?
More comfort will be helpful. However, not at the cost of strength or road grip.

Hope this helps and Thanks again!
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:07   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for reply!

Since I have had no issues with RFT, would like to stick to them (Also do not want to affect the vehicle warranty).
By all means do not go for Pirellis - the forum is littered with examples of BHPians’ struggles with Pirelli RFTs.

Quote:
More comfort will be helpful. However, not at the cost of strength or road grip.
When you’re fitting RFTs, a slightly harsher ride is always a compromise, moving to non-RFTs will improve your comfort multifold.

Regarding your concerns about warranty, it is only the tyre and wheel warranty that gets affected if you move away from RFTs, and in any case, to get it covered, they insist on buying tyres from BMW only, and BMW sells tyres at highly inflated prices compared to the market.

Do a cost vs benefit analysis of going for non-RFTs in the form of Michelin PS4s on the same size (listed at 25k each on TyreMarket) or even Vredesteins, which have a 2 year unconditional warranty and would be under 20k - though they are available in the 255/50R19 size only - the upsize is within permissible limits though, a 1.5% increase in diameter which should further improve your comfort.

Typically if you maintain a rotation schedule, RFTs last for about 30~35k km only while non-RFTs would last for at least 10k km more.

In a nutshell - if you’re sticking with RFTs, avoid Pirelli like the plague which effectively means the Alenzas are your only option - plus you know the tyres and their performance and they are not likely to surprise you. However, do consider switching to non-RFTs as the money you save is huge plus the benefits. Do feel free to DM if I can help you further
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 09:35   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is finally time to replace OEM tires on my X4 (Bridgestone Alenza 245/50 r19 RFT all tires) after 30k Kms and, I am not looking at going for a different size. Cos of the peculiar size, there are no tubeless tires in this size and, there are only 2 options in RFTs - Pirelli P ZERO™ (PZ4) and BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001.
Quote:
Since you have had no issues with RFTs, I would also agree with you that better to stick with RFTs. Even I have had overall great experience with RFTs for more than 60,000km of driving through all kinds of roads across our country, and I am going to stick to RFTs.

I think the key here is the profile and the sidewall size. 245/50 profile gives a large enough sidewall that you should not worry about RFTs. It is mostly in the lower profiles (such as 245/40) that RFTs are a bit problematic. Anyways, keeping aside the speculations, your own experience is good with RFTs and that is all that matters!

Although I agree with your point of sticking to RFTs, I would not consider the Pirelli P Zeros. From some of my friends running these on their BMWs, I can say that these tyres do seem more prone to damage than other brands. I have seen unreasonably (statistically speaking) more number of sidewall damages of Pirelli P Zeros than other tyres.

Therefore, good or bad, I would suggest sticking to Bridestones. Bridgestone RFTs are noisy (at least from my experience), but other than noise, there is no major issue. Ideally, the Michelin ZP series are the best RFTs I have seen and again from experiences of mine and my friends driving these, I would always recommend Michelin ZP series. But since that is not available in the size you need (I assume so because you said only the two options you mentioned are available), just stick to Bridgestones and avoid Pirelli P Zeros.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th October 2022 at 10:18. Reason: As requested.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 09:58   #266
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Since you have had no issues with RFTs, I would also agree with you that better to stick with RFTs. Even I have had overall great experience with RFTs for more than 60,000km of driving through all kinds of roads across our country, and I am going to stick to RFTs.

I think the key here is the profile and the sidewall size. 245/50 profile gives a large enough sidewall that you should not worry about RFTs. It is mostly in the lower profiles (such as 245/40) that RFTs are a bit problematic.

This is an interesting input, Dr AD.

However, I personally, simply cannot bring myself to trust RFTs on account of this situation which occurred to me on the beautifully paved twisty roads of the Route Napoleon in France exactly 3 years ago.

The stock standard size of RFT’s being used on that car, the 2019 Mini Cooper S Convertible top spec were 205/45/17W Hankook OEM Spec. And Hankook’s high end tyre factory in Hungary, EU, has been supplying these tyres to Mini Cooper cars since 2011 or so.

This car had hardly done 6000 odd kms when I rented it. I personally ensured proper visual inspection, topped up with the correct tyre pressure and everything. Yet I faced an instant blowout when taking a beautifully banked left hand curve.
Attached Thumbnails
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-33bd8c066bcc40a984238186bf680e49.jpeg  

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-038de16edca44d67932d8f97f999367c.jpeg  

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-4a4753a0b53f4a22ab858f0fdf6bce77.png  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 02:49   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Also do not want to affect the vehicle warranty).
Is this what dealer / brand is pushing these days? A switch to tubeless can't possibly void warranty, tires are a consumable and if your tire size is in spec and rated correctly, what grounds do either brand or dealer have to reject a warranty claim? And which warranty, powertrain, electrical, lol?

PS: I started this thread in March 2010, and I love that it's still a valid discussion in the Indian context lol. I just switched my GTI MK7 from awful P7 RFTs to Michelin PS4s and what a WORLD of difference in terms of comfort, road noise, handling. Outside of Germany, I doubt I'd ever keep RFTs on my vehicle.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th October 2022 at 02:52.
FlyingSpur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 10:25   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Is this what dealer / brand is pushing these days? And which warranty, powertrain, electrical, lol? .
Looks like they try all the tricks to get you to buy the tires from them, which is at least 10% expensive than the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
PS: I started this thread in March 2010, and I love that it's still a valid discussion in the Indian context lol.
Thanks for starting this thread and, Yes, it will be valid as long as RFTs become more common and acceptable.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:35   #269
BHPian

Update on the tire replacement of my X4.
As mentioned, went ahead with RFTs (same make and size - Bridgestone Alenza 01 RFT - 245/50 R19). After enquiring with various shops and service centre, got them replaced using online tire service from Tyresnmore (www.tyresnmore.com). They gave a very competitive price (33k per tire including replacement and balancing, compared to 36k to 38k from BMW Service centre and few known establishments, replacement and balancing extra) and replacement was at convivence of home.
At first was skeptical of the genuineness of the company, then the tire it self and, if they can replace at home. Turns out they have been in service for a few years now (in NCR region I guess) and recently opened in Bangalore. Got the photos of all the tires with DOT (39th week of 21) and country of manufacturing (South Africa).
Finally, after 10% advance payment, they sent their modified TATA mini van home which had all the required modern equipment to remove the wheel, replace the old tire with new, basic tire balancing, etc. The guys told that, in Bangalore, they have 3 such mobile units and, all together, on avg, work on 40 vehicles per day.
Once physically satisfied with the work (and, of course, TPMS working as it should) made the rest of the payment.
Attached Images

kiran_aithal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 19:18   #270

Hello everyone!
Hoping to get some tyre advise from the experts.
Got a beautiful pre-owned 2022 BMW 330i M Sport a few weeks ago. Bumped into a pothole and blew both the left side tyres on a drive a few days ago, was doing barely around 60 kmph as I knew the road had quite a few random potholes. Front left is 225/45/R18 Michelin Pilot Sport ZP and the Rear Left is 255/40/R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4ZP, both RFTs. The car has driven 9500ish kms so far and despite reading various posts, I wasn't able to decide on the following:
1. Should I replace all my RFTs with regular Tubeless tires?
2. If yes, with what options? I found it very difficult to find a non-RFT for the rear 255/40/R18 profiles. (BMW Service center Nagpur guys were obviously against replacing RFTs with Non-RFTs).
3. Should I change the profiles to slightly higher aspect ratios/different profile all together so they're less prone to punctures in the future? If yes, what should be the advised change?

Looking for all the advise I can get!
Thanks a ton!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks