Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 10:07   #196
ais
BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsi View Post
Now excuse either my ignorance or inexperience @Graaja has recommended 245/40/R18 size for my 330i and you've just stated 225/50/17 & with all due respect to @graajas knowledge, I'll be choosing his recommendation unless you have a compelling reason on your choice.
18" alloys (M Sport light cast alloys) will get bent on hitting potholes. I switched to 17" forged alloys and Michelin PS4. Please see my posts related to this with pics.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 10:55   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Graaja has recommended 245/40/R18 size for my 330i and you've just stated 225/50/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
18" alloys (M Sport light cast alloys) will get bent on hitting potholes. I switched to 17" forged alloys and Michelin PS4.
If you are not running RFT's and are careful on the road, like watch out for large potholes or any objects like stone etc you should be good with 18inch too.

Though I haven't driven a 3 with 18-inch for a while, it will definitely be better over 17inch. And why do you need so much comfort in a BMW at first place

Quote:
Most potholes come without a warning sign! Mine was underwater.
I will be more watchful where there is water even otherwise. No harm in going slow.

Quote:
17" don't essentially mean 'comfort'. Neither does the Bilstein B6 at lower speeds. This was about finding the optimal setup. My 320d Sportline with 17" stock RFT never gave any problem in 12500kms. Also, a 3 series in 18" is definitely not better in any respect performance wise over 17" in any format of alloys or tyres
You got a right balance to your liking by shifting to Bilestein, for others it may not work. I am not sure if the suspension setup of current generation 330i will be different over your 320D either.

In many overseas markets, 17inch is not even an option, have a look.

https://configure.bmw.ca/en_CA/confi...75,S07AC,S0Z0D

Ok, our roads are bad but not that much that we cannot upsize. I won't discourage the fellow member to go with 18inches if he can be little watchful. That's from my own experiences of running 20 inches and beyond on 4 of my cars here in India. Caveat, all non-RFT's.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th January 2021 at 11:23.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:03   #198
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you are not running RFT's and are careful on the road, like watch out for large potholes or any objects like stone etc you should be good with 18inch too.

Though I haven't driven a 3 with 18-inch for a while, it will definitely be better over 17inch. And why do you need so much comfort in a BMW at first place
Most potholes come without a warning sign! Mine was underwater.

17" don't essentially mean 'comfort'. Neither does the Bilstein B6 at lower speeds. This was about finding the optimal setup. My 320d Sportline with 17" stock RFT never gave any problem in 12500kms.

Also, a 3 series in 18" is definitely not better in any respect performance wise over 17" in any format of alloys or tyres. Looks wise, a well selected 17" alloys is fine too. I've driven both, so can say this with certainty.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:16   #199
BHPian

Quote:
18" alloys (M Sport light cast alloys) will get bent on hitting potholes. I switched to 17" forged alloys and Michelin PS4. Please see my posts related to this with pics.
Thank you for your input. I'll see your thread however I'm not currently changing my alloys purely due to budget constraints currently so it's stocks I'm afraid.

Quote:
Definitely switching to tubeless spoke with BMW manager he said it would suit my driving style, especially over speed humps. Though he still feels a staggered set up for the optimum driving experience of the 330i.
The decision is veering towards a Square on advise by@graaja and @Santoshbhat both seniors
Sadly too much road and PWD infra happening here so avoidance is a luxury in short supply.

Quote:
Not all of us are Turbonators the invincible perhaps. Have a small back issue so in that respect the F30s softness (which is a common complaint by Beemer enthusiasts) is a bonus in my case. Plus young man I am bordering retirement, but would still give you a run for your money

Quote:
Ok, our roads are bad but not that much that we cannot upsize. I won't discourage the fellow member to go with 18inches if he can be little watchful. That's from my own experiences of running 20 inches and beyond on 4 of my cars here in India. Caveat, all non-RFT's.
The infrastructure here in Goa over the last 12 months leaves a lot to be desired and believe me I've encountered a lot of these issues and the Wheels have adequately handled the situation. Drove carefully enough but the conditions were akin to moon craters. Despite bottoming on occasions and bad visibility at night, have been lucky so far I guess.

Seeing your configs Seems 18" and non RFTs will be fine. Thanks for your input.

Finally
Quote:
Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
MY apologies Moderators will try and get professional as the rest on this Forum. Hope this response complies with rules
ramsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:50   #200
ais
BHPian

Quote:

You got a right balance to your liking by shifting to Bilestein, for others it may not work. I am not sure if the suspension setup of current generation 330i will be different over your 320D either.

In many overseas markets, 17inch is not even an option, have a look.

Let's ignore the overseas market as its not relevant here.

The G20 has an upgraded suspension and is good as it is. The F30 gives optimal performance in 17".

Other than looks, what's the benefit of larger wheels? The 17" forged alloys more than match the looks of 18" stock alloys, so say even the Krishna Motors staff!
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 15:09   #201
BHPian

Please watch the YouTube videos on BMW Run flat tyres demo. Agreed the ride quality in RFT tyres would be harder compared to regular tubeless due to the thicker and reinforced side walls.

However, from the safety aspect RFT's will score over tubeless tryes especially if you have a major puncture at high speed over 100kmph. You can lose control of your car at high speeds if you have a blowout on regular tubeless tyres but run flats will hold on and allow you to reduce speeds safely. The added bonus is you can drive at slow speeds less than 60knph to the nearest tyre repair.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th January 2021 at 15:21. Reason: typo
Old 17th January 2021, 15:33   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post
from the safety aspect RFT's will score over tubeless tryes especially if you have a major puncture at high speed over 100kmph.
Ok, so why doesn’t BMW fit RFT’s on the M cars

Quote:
The added bonus is you can drive at slow speeds less than 60knph to the nearest tyre repair.
8 of 10 times, I had a RFT blowout and only occasionally a puncture.

But this is an unending debate especially when dealerships themselves try to promote RFTs. I will say, it’s best left to the judgement of the user.

Quote:

Have a small back issue so in that respect the F30s softness (which is a common complaint by Beemer enthusiasts) is a bonus in my case. Plus young man I am bordering retirement, but would still give you a run for your money
No-no, my idea was just as comparison. I am sure you must be a strong guy

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th January 2021 at 15:40.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:00   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
My F30 came standard with 225/50/17 on all 4s. I wanted to change the wheels to 18 inch but my SA advised against it saying that the ride quality will get affected which I truly concur with.
That's true to a large extent - I switched from the 17" Style-414 rims on my F30 to the 18" Style-397 and there's definitely a downside in terms of ride comfort, but it's nowhere near bad enough to make the ride uncomfortable or harsh.
In fact, I still slow down for bumps and potholes as much as I would do if I'd stuck with the Style 414 17-inchers. Those wheels are in perfect condition and for sale in the TBHP classifieds, btw (link here).

Quote:
Not necessarily true. The F30 328i / 330i came stock with 18" Style 397 wheels, and they seem to hold up just fine. A fellow bhpian and friend hit a pothole in his 328i badly enough to ruin a tyre and put his car into limp-home mode, but the alloy was undamaged.
I myself have hit a couple of potholes at moderate-ish speeds and the 18" Style 397 alloys were just fine.
While there's always a greater risk of rim damage with larger wheels, 18" aren't so aggressive that you're at high risk of rim damage from our roads.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:44   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish BMW had carried over the much more stylish F30 alloys to the G20. Frankly, none of the variants (GL, M Sport, Sport or Luxury Line) have alloys which really stand out.

Is it because BMW are playing it safe and providing 'stronger', i.e. with a stronger hub & maybe more spokes than the earlier more 'delicate' ones?

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th January 2021 at 19:47.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 23:39   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Wish BMW had carried over the much more stylish F30 alloys to the G20. Frankly, none of the variants (GL, M Sport, Sport or Luxury Line) have alloys which really stand out.
I couldn't agree with you more. The first thing I noticed about the G20 lineup is how uninspired the alloy design was, regardless of model or trim.
Just contrast how the stock Style-397 wheels on my F30 328i compliment the look of the car, as compared to the incredibly forgettable wheels on the G20 330i.
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-20200919_14194701.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
is it because BMW are playing it safe and providing 'stronger', i.e. with a stronger hub & maybe more spokes than the earlier more 'delicate' ones?
The earlier 18" wheels arent 'delicate' - check out my earlier post on this same page. There's always a risk of running 18" wheels with a 245/40 profile, and that's true of any wheel.
Hopefully the LCI G20 that'll be out in a year or so will have nicer wheel designs.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:07   #206
BHPian

Hi guys,
One of my 320d tires has a leak which is from a previous puncture and the tire guy said its better to change the tires since it has developed some very minor cracks. The car is 5 years old and done about 27K. Now I am in a dilemma whether to stick to RFTs or changeover to tubeless. My city-highway usage is about 70-30. I would like a little more ride comfort but not at the cost of handling. The tire size is 225/50R17. Which one do you suggest? And which brand? If opting for RFTs, I was looking at Michelin Primacy 3ZP for RFT or Michelin PS4 for tubeless. How are these? Are there better options? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th February 2021, 13:53   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The tire size is 225/50R17. Which one do you suggest? And which brand? If opting for RFTs, I was looking at Michelin Primacy 3ZP for RFT or Michelin PS4 for tubeless. How are these? Are there better options? Thanks in advance.
I have a G20 330i with the same setup on Bridgestone Turanzas.

First off, there is limited stock in the market of most tyres. Better to make some calls first (maybe Sai Iyengar, Madhus, Millivision etc.) to see what all is available. BMW has also got the 4ZP on the 18" range. Maybe they have 17" also - check with Navnit or Deutsche Motoren.

Tubeless - I'd suggest Michelin PS4 if you can get them. Other options are the Conti UC6 and Yoko Advan Sports.

RFTs - the 3ZPs should be great.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:16   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
If opting for RFTs, I was looking at Michelin Primacy 3ZP for RFT or Michelin PS4 for tubeless. How are these? Are there better options? Thanks in advance.
I was one of the first to switch to Micheline Primacy 3ZP on my F30 320d back in 2019. I am very happy with those tyres, and in my opinion they are the best of the both worlds - the peace of mind of RFTs and relatively lower noise and higher comfort of the normal tubeless tyres. The noisy Bridgestone RFTs have given a bad name to RFTs. But these Micheline RFTs are much better that those. I have the same size (225/50/R17) that you mentioned. I have already driven 17,000km on the Michelin Primacy 3ZPs, and my experience has been great.

So yes, I would definitely recommend these. However, I have no clue about the availability at this time. Availability of these might be a challenge in the current situation. Since you are in Bangalore, check with Madhus (or contact @Nikhilb2008). I got it from them back in 2019.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 16th February 2021 at 14:20.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:40   #209
BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d or 330i M sport

Its decision time for replacement Tyres on my BMW330i M Shadow- Sport

Background and history

Since I’d mentioned the skirting’s being damaged I am attaching pictures of the underside of these to explain the background to my dilemma.
The driving conditions in Goa are equivalent to driving over moon craters plus my driving style hasn’t been kind to the underside of the car as can be seen from the picture below.
Monsoons last year covered up some bad potholes adjacent on the flip side of breakers haven’t helped the situation.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-skirtings.jpg

Since my last communication, I spoke with the BMW SA and he agreed with you BHPians that switching to tubeless would be fine and better suited to my driving style.
Whilst the car is getting its bodywork sorted it has provided me the time to source and decide on the ideal tyre replacements now due as the rears are now almost bald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

The Yoko Advans are outright performance tyres with further improvements experienced in grip and sportiness.
The Yokos are not available in either the staggered or Squared setup. I have to run with CSC5's see quotations below also not exact specs.

Quote:
Do note, I am running a staggered set up
I see you ran with a staggered set up even on tubeless any reason why you did not go for a squared setup?
Whereas Ganesh recommends a squared setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I believe the sedan comes with 255/40/R18 and 225/45/R18. So, the correct size for the square setup for the sedan will be 245/40/R18. Also compared to 255/40/R18, there is only 0.1" (2.5mm) reduction in sidewall. This is not a very big reduction.
You’ve mentioned there would be a 2.5mm difference which has confused us about how such a minimal difference has been arrived at.?

If I went with the 245s squared this would slightly lower the car and according to my SA isn’t advisable (refer to the pictures above) considering how I take on the humps additionally the large potholes due to the spate of incomplete road works with rubble not making ideal driving conditions. Given this, the SA n his opinion recommended I stick with staggered as there will be a noticeable difference on the ride and handling and seeing my sill undersides buckled.

My search for replacement tyres continues. I've have hit a brick wall on the YOKO’s here also facing a lack of tyre availability in Goa not helped by import restrictions
I'm trying having tried to secure both the squared and staggered and even then I cant get the proper replacements.

Sourcing a set of Tires in Goa:
I have managed to get a quotation on Conti 5s and attach a quotation. The seller has the equipment to ensure the alignment, balancing etc are top-notch, although the 225s are not available, 235s are leaving me again in a quandary.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-whatsapp-image-20210221-12.33.09-pm.jpg

Solutions and advice sought:
  1. Do I stick to the staggered?
  2. Would the 235/40 be a suitable replacement for the fronts (225/45)
  3. How would it affect the drive quality? just an enlightened opinion on this would be welcome.
  4. Sourcing the Tires assistance sought: Can any Team BHPian help recommend where I source the tyres as the Chief (RSUDARSANAN) did for Ganesh? I am a resident of Goa.
  5. Whether The prices on the quotation are competitive enough
  6. Can Ganesh and other seniors please give me their honest opinion on whether the SA is offering the right and the best advice on Staggered vs Squared?
  7. My thoughts are veering towards staggered for the first change from RFT to Radials and once have experienced this in the future go for Squared?
Since the old faithful Polo GT is around I can afford a little downtime but would like to get the right tires at the right price and ideal size?

FOOTNOTE TO GTO
THANK YOU Kind Sir for editing my last post (A GT joins a GT) for grammatical errors and posting it. Sadly my writing style is verbose hence the terminology. I shall endeavour to raise my language to meet up to BHP Gold standards.
ramsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:29   #210
BHPian

@Turbanator @ais @Santoshbhat @graaja

Thank you so far for your contributions they have been of great help in my enlightenment along with the various threads being an outstanding source of knowledge and inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This Valentine’s day, a BMW 330i GT M-Sport joined the Polo GT in my portico.
so that users who are in the same boat as I was would be benefited.
Ganesh, this was a very helpful thread and really helped me a lot to the extent that I opened up and submitted pictures of my feisty feline 330i M-Sport two year after purchase upon your encouragement.
I was hesitant in showcasing and expressing my interests in motoring.

I have posted a few queries on my sourcing of tyres to finalise the touches required to bring it back to showroom spec next week once it returns from the body shop. However, I have had no response and I know you'd gone through an extensive search to acquire those and a great experience in types. Additionally, you were assisted in securing those.

Sadly in Goa, I've been offered only Bridgestone at above 32k which I'd like to avoid and Contis CS5s as seen in my previous post with a quotation. Those too are not in exact sizes leaving me in a quandary of whether to proceed with them or not?

Since I am new here, I am not able to send you or any seniors a PM hence this reminder.
ramsi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks