Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 23:59   #226
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Just wanted to put this out there.

This is one of my Primacy LC's (195/60/R15) at 40,000 KM. To be exact, it is the right rear tyre.

There is a problem with slight wear affecting only the inner edge of the right front tyre. Every tyre that occupies this position upon rotation is so affected, so it is not a problem with one specific tyre. The wear pattern is fairly constant around the entire tyre, with some patchiness. I do not have a picture of the wear pattern as the whole tyre was covered with sand from the wet road shoulder.

The other tyres are just like this, but I could not get as clean a pic of them as even this. It was a rainy day, and I had taken the car in for alignment rotation and balancing.

The tyres were filled with Nitrogen at first purchase and ever since, and alignment, rotation and balancing is done every 5,000 KM (margin of error ~100 KM +/-).

Daily drive around 85 KM on highway class road (90%) and well paved country road (10%) with curves and climbs over about 10-15% of the total distance. Average speed ~60 Kph, max 85-90 Kph.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20130726_153837_tbhp.jpg  

Old 18th August 2013, 11:33   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
Dear gurus,

I am taking delivery of my Vento TDI Highline this Saturday. Have finalised the upgrade to 195/60/15 BS ER 60. I am confused about the spare wheel? what do you suggest I do with the 14inch spare?

Regards
Please be aware that upgrading to 195-60-R15 also gives you an additional 6 mm ground clearance which is useful while driving at full load qnd crossing breakers and potholes. Upgrading from apollo to a brand like bridgestone will also reduce the tyre noise that comes within the cabin.
Old 18th August 2013, 18:50   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Please be aware that upgrading to 195-60-R15 also gives you an additional 6 mm ground clearance which is useful while driving at full load qnd crossing breakers and potholes. Upgrading from apollo to a brand like bridgestone will also reduce the tyre noise that comes within the cabin.
Tyre noisy may not necessarily reduce. Please be sure of your facts before posting. This kind of wrong information could lead some people to expect too much and then be disappointed.

The Aceleres are very good tyres. Very silent and comfortable. The ER60 in my opinion is a notch lower.

When you say things like "Upgrading from apollo to a brand like bridgestone", it gives the impression that all Bridgestone tyres are super high quality and Apollo is below average when the reality is very different.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 19:44   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The Aceleres are very good tyres. Very silent and comfortable.
Nikhil, Are all tyres in the Acelere family good? The plain Acelere, the Maxx, the Sportz?

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2013, 20:55   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

The Maxx is the Amazer series.

The Acelere comes in Acelere, Acelere Sportz. The sportz was not a big seller due to the price and being available in very limited sizes.

Now Apollo has a new tyre called Alnac.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 22:30   #231
BHPian

Quote:
The Maxx is the Amazer series.

The Acelere comes in Acelere, Acelere Sportz. The sportz was not a big seller due to the price and being available in very limited sizes.

Now Apollo has a new tyre called Alnac.
Correction! Maxx is the Acelere series
Old 19th August 2013, 04:42   #232
BHPian

Quote:

Tyre noisy may not necessarily reduce. Please be sure of your facts before posting. This kind of wrong information could lead some people to expect too much and then be disappointed.

The Aceleres are very good tyres. Very silent and comfortable. The ER60 in my opinion is a notch lower.

When you say things like "Upgrading from apollo to a brand like bridgestone", it gives the impression that all Bridgestone tyres are super high quality and Apollo is below average when the reality is very different.
With due respect, i can confirm that the tyre noise did reduce significantly with bridgestone MY02. I did post the same experience in my earlier posts on this same thread couple of months back with the same facts. I have used apollo accleres in the first 2.5 years of my vento and using bridgestone MY02 since more than 6 months now. Not sure how do you say this information is wrong! I have driven my vento for more than 55k in multiple states and almost all kind of roads which many people may not have got a chance to do so. I drive at average speeds around 120 kmph and the tyre noise becomes significant at 100+. With no offence to apollo, i suggested what i have gathered based on my research and long distance driving experiences with vento.

What facts you have to support your viewpoint?
Old 19th August 2013, 07:45   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With due respect, i can confirm that the tyre noise did reduce significantly with bridgestone MY02.
Sort of agree with you. Though i used the acceleres for only 400-500 kms after delivery and switched to Bridgestone MY01, i also noticed a reduction in tyre noise + the steering weighed up because of the 195 tyres. Didnt used the Appolo's much so cant comment about them.
I didnt pay anything for this upgrade ( friend's shop and a gift from him) so its not like i spent money and felt the difference.

More than tyre noise, i switched because a lot of Vento owners on this forum had complained about early/uneven wear of acceleres and i wanted 195 tyres. Have had zilch issues with Bridgestones from past 10 years, no sidewall cuts, early/uneven wear etc and i personally trust them blindly. All the cars in our garage are on BS.

MY02 is way better than MY01( have 02's on my Linea), i will try CPC2 next time.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:55   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While Nikhil provides his viewpoints (do note he works in that industry), let me give my 2 cents.

Shifted from Aceleres to Contis CPC2 after some 25k kms; the Aceleres were brutally used in all kinds of roads at all speeds; and they lasted well. Since the tire change, I never noticed any improvement in the tire noise for the past 16k kms on the new tires (except for the initial 1k kms). Even when I had the stock tires, I drove @mikon's Vento with non-stock tires and other cars; I couldn't find much difference in comparison.

W.r.t to Aceleres reliability, they went well quite well till they lasted; until I got scammed by one of the tire puncture guys and had to throw away one tire with decent grooves. Decided to change all, as I wanted to go up the size too.

Overall my point is - people have had quite good experiences with the Aceleres too; I have read quite a few posts on this forum by Vento and other owners with 40k+ satisfied kms done on the Aceleres. So lets' not generalize with our own experiences.

Also (IMHO) I think people add in a feel-good factor with global brands like Bridgestone, Michelin; elevating them to a higher level, whereas if one does enough searching on this forum, there are equal number of -ve experiences with these brand products as Apollos or other Indian brands.

P.s. If somebody asks me a direct query w.r.t tire choices, I tell them my experience, and also put a disclaimer that people have had good & bad experiences with the Aceleres too.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th August 2013 at 08:06.
Old 20th August 2013, 03:06   #235
BHPian

I have been using Aceleres on my Rapid for 26k kms now. The road noise is definitely there at three digit speeds but i don't know if that would really be any less with the more famous brands. As far as the grip is concerned, Aceleres have never let me down. I have been enjoying the Tdi engine and the car's stock shoes have more or less lived up to the task. However, last weekend I undertook a trip to Delhi, covering a little over 1300 kms. It was raining cats and dogs at some places and i noticed a rather strange behavior for the first time. At places where the water had collected a bit (enough to create a good splash around) and I steered one side of the car through the water, the car would get swayed considerably. The speed must have been 80-90 at those places. Shook me when it happened the first time, tried again cautiously the second time with the same reaction. After that I started to slow down considerably when I needed to steer through water. Never felt this earlier. Tyres still have a decent amount of thread. What could be the reason? Or is it only normal to expect such a behavior in water?
Old 20th August 2013, 08:54   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you do that?

The Acelere is better than the ER60. Just for 10mm wider tyre, it doesnt make sense to spend money.

Save the money and spend it on ICE or something.

Please dont waste your money.
Hi Nikhil,

Took delivery on Sunday. Swapped the Acelers with BS MY02 195/60/15.
Guess it was more psychological and I could do with an increase in GC.

Thanks and Regards
Old 20th August 2013, 10:43   #237
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
With due respect, i can confirm that the tyre noise did reduce significantly with bridgestone MY02.

Nikesh, Nikhil was talking about the ER60, not the MY01/02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Overall my point is - people have had quite good experiences with the Aceleres too; I have read quite a few posts on this forum by Vento and other owners with 40k+ satisfied kms done on the Aceleres. So lets' not generalize with our own experiences.
Very true. I've had only good experience with the Aceleres in the 32K kms I've travelled so far. The tyres have had good grip and along with the car, have not failed me in the roughest of roads in the interiors of the country.

The tread is still good for another 5-7k kms.
Old 21st August 2013, 22:26   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

I didnt mean to offend anyone. I've heard generally good things about the MY02s. I was talking about the ER60s which were very good tyres overall but not a great deal better than the Aceleres.

Again, I am considering the amount of money spent vs the amount of noise actually reduced.

It is very marginal and in my opinion not worth it.

Also, I am trying to dispel the notion that ALL foreign brands are good and indian brands are not upto the mark. I am no nationalist but I truly believe that some Indian companies like Apollo, MRF, JK actually have the technology to take on the big brands and even be better. They are not doing it (except for Apollo with the Acelere) for a number of commercial reasons.

MRF ZLO is a step in the right direction for MRF and while JK tyres do come in for their fair share of criticism, I believe it is not due to lack of knowledge or technology.

All said, I will conclude that my car itself is running on Michelins! :P
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:05   #239
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

I own a Manza Qjet ABS -2011 . Currently done 27700 kms.
It came with 185-60-15 bridge stones as stocks(Same as Vento Stock tires).
Due to side wall cracks on 2 tyres i was forced to change the tires(18000 kms).
Upgraded to 1956-60 15 Yokohama C drives (4 tyres) (spare tire is still the BS).
Done 10000kms on them nearly now.
Advantages :
1)Better ride than stock tires.
The car now is comparitively smoother over speed breakers , pot holes , uneven roads.
More rubber on the sidewalls is definitely helping .
2)No significant difference in steering feel.
MANZA has a hydraulic setup and it is decently weighted on the highways.
Vento has a electronic set up so cant comment but 10mm wider tires shouldn't change that by much.
3)Lesser road noise as compared to stock BSs.
But the difference is very small.
Overall very satisfied with my choice of C drives -195-60 15.
I cant imagine riding on stock tires in any of my future cars.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:11   #240
BHPian

Planning to upsize the stock tyres of my Vento TDi Highline, after the front 2 tyres have literally non-existent threads now. The rear tyres can last another 5000-8000 kms. But then, have finalized on 195/60/R15 - psychologically more comfortable with the 10mm upsize than going for 205 ones.

I have shortlisted the following tyres (providing an approx. prevailing price which includes fitting, wheel balancing & alignment and nitrogen filling):
1. Yokohama C Drives (Cheapest in the List ~5200-5300)
2. Bridgestone Potenza RE 88 (~5500)
3. Continental ContactPremium 2 (~5600)
4. Michelin Energy XM2 (Costliest of the lot ~6000)

Based on your experiences kindly recommend which is most suitable if the main criteria is Comfort and also control at highway cruising speeds (120-140 km/hr). The tyres should also be able to sustain our potholed roads too (sidewall shouldn't be too soft).

Last edited by gaurav911 : 28th August 2013 at 17:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks