Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 14:46   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
Weird chipping on the side tread. Please advise:

Given the age and the running and maintenance of these tyres, is this normal for Yoko Earth 1's or should i investigate further?
Have the exact same issue on the Continental CC5 set on my i20 on all the tyres. This started occurring when there was still 50% of the tread life left. There is no impact on performance, so I am kind of OK with it. I am just wearing out the tyres and will replace them.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:38   #332
BHPian

Hello BHPians

My i20 petrol is five years old, 25000 kms on the ODO.

The car has been driven regularly in city/highway except for the two COVID years. Those two years, the car was used for hardly 200 kms.

I have attached some pictures of the tyres - OEM - MRF - 185/65/R15. Please let me know if I should change the tyres.

The current running is about 1000 kms/month in Bangalore. I am not facing any specific tyre problem except for excess road noise and a stiff ride.

Thanks

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20230601220353.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20230601220459.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20230601220517.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20230601220502.jpg

Last edited by ankurbhageria : 2nd June 2023 at 17:39.
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:56   #333
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurbhageria View Post
Hello BHPians

The Tyres on this car look seriously tired of life.
Do your car and yourself and family a favour and get a nice new set of tyres.
Much safer
Better ride
Better braking (especially in the monsoons)
Better chance of surviving Bangalore potholes
Overall peace of mind.
As soon as you fit the new ones do a proper tyre balancing and wheel alignment and get this done every 5000 kms from now on, including a full rotation of all the tyres. This will enable them to wear evenly and give you long lasting value and comfort.
Lots of good tyre options and at fair prices.
MRF Perfinza
Yokohama Earth 1
Yokohama BluEarth
Continental UC6
Ceat Secura Drive
Etc

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th February 2024 at 09:45. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:04   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians
Hello;
If your drives include highway and high speed drives, then 5 years is the best time to change your tires, even if having sufficient tread depth. Since the rubber decays with time and there’s already visible symptoms of aging.

However, if your drives are in the city, with not much speed, getting proper traction and breaking from the set of existing tires, then you can stretch their life Upto your convenience !

In general, I wouldn't take risk with 5 year old tires for highway rides.

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:17   #335
BHPian

[quote=shankar.balan;5559289]
Quote:
Hello BHPians

MRF Perfinza
Yokohama Earth 1
Yokohama BluEarth
Continental UC6
Ceat Secura Drive
Etc
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I've followed the 5K km rotation schedule, with balancing and alignment, as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Hello;
If your drives include highway and high speed drives, then 5 years is the best time to change your tires, even if having sufficient tread depth. Since the rubber decays with time and there’s already visible symptoms of aging.

However, if your drives are in the city, with not much speed, getting proper traction and breaking from the set of existing tires, then you can stretch their life Upto your convenience !

In general, I wouldn't take risk with 5 year old tires for highway rides.

Cheers
At present, city commute hardly allows speeds more than 40 kmph, so I am not sure how badly braking is affected.

That said, I'll replace before I plan a highway trip.
Old 5th June 2023, 08:28   #336
BHPian

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I got a new set of Yoko BluEarth 185/65/R15.

I expressed my wish to upsize to 195; however, the dealer advised that I would be just fine with stock specs too.

Using a new set, I immediately realized how hard the older set had become. It's a significantly softer ride now. There's not much difference in road noise though.

Will write an initial review after 500-1000 kms.
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:59   #337

Dont know whether I am throwing up a funny question to deliberate upon. Is there any fact if I claim that bigger the tyre size, more is the life? My vehicle (Bolero) was delivered with Bridgestone Deuler 215 75R15 as stock tyres, which was changed at 86000 KMs. I replaced the same with Continental Cross Contact 235 75R 15. The odometer currently stands at 148000 KMs (64000 KMs in between). The tyres looks new, with no visible deterioration in tread. This makes me believe that bigger the tyres, better the life.
Old 30th August 2023, 09:24   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasilemon View Post
Dont know whether I am throwing up a funny question to deliberate upon. Is there any fact if I claim that bigger the tyre size, more is the life? My vehicle (Bolero) was delivered with Bridgestone Deuler 215 75R15 as stock tyres, which was changed at 86000 KMs. I replaced the same with Continental Cross Contact 235 75R 15. The odometer currently stands at 148000 KMs (64000 KMs in between). The tyres looks new, with no visible deterioration in tread. This makes me believe that bigger the tyres, better the life.
Hi,

Tyre life depends on a combination of factors such as brand, type, compound, driving pattern and maintenance. However, tyre size is not a deciding factor on its own if other things are kept constant. A 255-section tyre won't last longer than a 235 or 215-section purely due to the size difference.

The thing with bigger tyres is that their intended vehicle type is SUVs/MUVs. They generally use harder compounds that makes them more hard-wearing and durable as compared to tyres meant for smaller vehicles. There are exceptions of course, like Taximax series from JK meant for cabs that last well over 70-80k. On the other hand, you'll find performance sedans eating up their fat rear tyres in just 20k kms!

So tyre compound is the most significant deciding factor I'd say. Tread deterioration also depends on the compound. Back in the day Ford Ecosport used to come with Goodyear Assurance tyres. Their tread blocks used to look new even at 50k kms but the tyres would be good for the first 25-30k kms only. The road noise would start to become unbearable after that.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:51   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasilemon View Post
In this context, I'm of the opinion that the one single most dominant factor is:
individual toes of all 4 tyres.
Old 28th November 2023, 17:23   #340

Hello All,

I see that many post are mostly with years that are 5+ but kilometers less than 50k to change the tyres. But what if its the reverse where one has crossed 50k kilometers and now want to know how longer can one push if the tyres are "Still looking fine"? (I always get this questions for myself)

I wanted some measurable value and I happened to see this instrument with the Service advisor at the service center and asked them to check the tyre. They checked with a tyre tread depth gauge and next what? (Obviously they would want to sell new tyres)

So I would like to know if there a value for which one should get the tyre changed and not push beyond? Say, Tyre depth guage showed 2.0, meaning 2.0mm depth in the tread of the tyre and if I can use it until it reaches 1.5mm Or something of this sort. Or 2.0 is like a hard stop and should change the tyre immediately.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th February 2024, 09:10   #341

Hello Team BHPians - Please suggest for tyre replacement if needed -

1) Car - Ritz ZXI - These are stock tyres of 2014 make with 47000 Kms on the odo. So far it has been more of highway drive and my usual driving speed is 80-100 kmph. Tyres were maintained well all these years with timely pressure maintenance and rotated every 10k kms.

2) Couple of months back, On family trip on Chennai Trichy highway, I had a tyre malfunction with the top rubber layer coming out thereby making tyre useless. Luckily I had stepney in working condition of the same make/type ss others and I bought a new tyre nearby Bridgestone Sturdo and kept it in Stepney. This happened immediately after service at Maruti Service Station in Chennai, i believe that they did not do the rotation well. Not sure if they did tightened it too much, because this issue came within 100 kms of service and I took the car on highway next day after service..

Please suggest if athe tyres need to be replaced now. Pictures attached pls.

Is Bridgestone Sturdo a good option given that I have one tyre of that make
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-img20240217085909.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20240217085847.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20240217085835.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20240217085822.jpg  

Old 17th February 2024, 10:00   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyaa View Post
So I would like to know if there a value for which one should get the tyre changed and not push beyond?
Check the TWI(Tread Wear Indicator, Google for more info) which is available on every tyre and is present on the tread itself. If your tread is touching the TWI then you should change your tyre.

Tread Wear Indicator :
Name:  twi.png
Views: 117
Size:  262.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
stock tyres of 2014 make with 47000 Kms on the odo.
Your tyres are 10 years old and the cracks on your tread surface show that age as rubber hardens and cracks with age. You're nearing TWI on at least 2 tyres as well.
What you experienced was a tread separation event(not related to tyre rotation) and you were lucky that it wasn't a tyre burst.
Your maintenance and timely rotations have ensured that your tyres have worn our evenly, well done
But, its time to change your tyres and urgently due to your highway usage.

Since your usage is regular, I would suggest to change to softer rubber for more grip and more importantly better and quieter ride.
Some tyres I can think of are, do check other posts for better info and even threads like this (Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread) :

I have personal experience with these two :
- MRF ZLX : quiet and soft ride, slightly higher body roll
- Bridgestone : I have good experience with B250/B290 but at that price you can look at Michelins and Continentals. No idea about other tyres especially Sturdo

Outside of these you can explore these too but do check the other posts on this thread for issues faced :
- Michelin XM2+ : good reviews for grip and comfort
- Continental UC6/CC6 : good comfort and low noise but dealer network to be checked for your location
- Yokohama Earth 1 : good handling and grip but are a bit harder
- Apollo Amazer XP/Alnac : they generally have harder rubber but have heard Alnac and Amazer XP are better in this regard but I would suggest to look at others.

Not including others like JK, CEAT, GoodYear as I would suggest to try a softer tyre. I cannot stress enough the difference it makes to the driving experience.
If you finalize on others then keep the sturdo as a stepney.

Last edited by shancz : 17th February 2024 at 10:15. Reason: add img twi
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 06:51   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Since your usage is regular, I would suggest to change to softer rubber for more grip and more importantly better and quieter ride.
Some tyres I can think of are, do check other posts for better info and even threads like this (Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread) :
Thanks for detailed suggestion, Are softer tyres more susceptible to punctures.

The part of Chennai where I stay has lot of bad roads, so that is also an important aspect for me in addition to highway drives..

I expect to keep the car for another 4 years as my car is 9 years old already..

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th February 2024 at 07:31. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 18th February 2024, 08:45   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team BHPians - Please suggest for tyre replacement if needed -
I go by the TWI or seven years from date of fitment, whichever is earlier. My personal choice is hard compound tyres such as MRF ZVTS, Apollo 4G etc. Though the roads are mostly good where I drive, I sometimes have to go to the areas where the roads may not be good. So it is better to have a tyre that can handle all surfaces and accept some tyre noise/ride comfort as trade off, than to fit a more expensive soft compund tyre and feel unhappy if it receives a cut.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 08:54   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part of Chennai where I stay has lot of bad roads, so that is also an important aspect for me in addition to highway drives..
That was one of the reasons I went with MRF ZLX over the Michelin or Continental assuming that Indian brands understand our roads better and I haven't had any punctures in the 4000km I've run with them.
Incidentally Apollo Amazer 3Gs despite their hardness, suffered a lot punctures and had a terrible ride and poor grip on anything outside of good roads.

I don't know the roads you drive on so this is something you'll have to decide on from your experience and input from other more experienced members.
I was lucky that ashis89 had a very similar usage pattern and had gone through the Amazer, Yokohama and ZLX so it was easy for me choose the ZLX based on his experience.
Since your intent is to keep the car and the new tyres for 4 years then you can remove the "long life" tyres from your list and they're usually expensive too like the Sturdo as per Bridgestone's website.
How much did the Sturdo cost you ?

What you can also do is to visit each manufacturers website and see the properties of each tyre. In my case since my running was low and comfort was a priority, I went with the ZLX.
MRF's website simplifies this choice by assigning the category in the search itself and it actually recommends upgrades if its possible on your car. Others do similar things but not as cleanly.

Check it out here.
Example:
When is the right time to change tyres?-screenshot_20240218085641.png

Correction :
Did some more digging and turns out that the long life tyres also boast of wear and tear resistance and more durability which makes my suggestion of "skip long life tyres" incorrect.

Checked out some "durable/wear and tear resistant" tyres which specifically mentioned it in their website :
- GoodYear Assurance Duraplus
- JK Tyre Taximax
- Apollo Tyres 4G Life
- Bridgestone Sturdo
- Bridgestone B250

MRF and CEAT don't mention anything like it but MRF's ZTX series is categorised as long life whereas CEAT has only one tyre for 185/70R14, the Secura Drive which doesn't mention long life/durability.

Most important is to change to a new tyre, choice with you

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2024 at 17:59. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks