Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 15:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I was just visualising your horror when that may have happened ! What a fiasco ! Do please share more details on who the gentlemen were standing next to the car, any of them the owner? Who imported this car into India and any more history on its life here?
I'm afraid I simply can't recall who the gentleman standing next to the car are. In fact, I'm not even convinced the picture is mine. What I can say is neither was the owner, who was a dear friend.
Old 19th March 2011, 22:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Bentley 3 Litre - P.Shroff

Faster789's collection-bentley-3-ltr-speed-mp09w7582-1923-maybe-period.jpg

Going through my "archives", this fascinating car seems to have gone through many owners (or at least registration numbers). Listed are a few of its numbers, not in any chronological order:

WBx-xx8
BRQ-6923
MRH-7xxx
and of course most recently MP.09.W.7582
I am sure someone can fill in the many more I have missed!
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2011, 17:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
In order they appear and referring to my other post above (and assuming I am correct, it's been a while) . References to owners is as per time frame in the photo.
1. Invicta S Type, owner R. Khan,
2. Bentley 3 Litre, owner P. Shroff
3. Lancia Lamda, owner R Jeejeebhoy
4. Morris Bullnose Cowley, ex Adenwalla, ex R. Khan, now Bhogilal(?) with Parsi mechanic standly proudly next to it!
5. Rally: T Ford, old man Trevasso's 1918 Fiat, an Austin like thing, Dubash's Merc 38/250, etc. This would have been '66 or '67 somewhere in Ballard Estate for judging before they set off
7. The next one is the the same shot with some bread and butter stuff behind. I remember there was a Perry that a guy had driven down all the way from Lucknow. KPS, thanks for the Knighthood.
The vintage car movement at that time seems to have been an affair of inclusiveness, rather than a monopoly. And included enthusiasts from all over India.
About the Invicta there is no doubt, but where did that car come from? Who were the first owners, before Adenwalla?
Bentley P.Shroff is fine, now in Indore.
Lancia Lambda Jeejeebhoy, was lying in Worli Mumbai, sent to Pune for restoration.
Bullnose is not Pranlal's cars, his is a dicky seater from Chennai, ex-Ramaswamy, this is a tourer. No idea where she is now.
Ford T now Vohra belonged to a Sindhi gent, garaged in Nepean Sea Road and then Altamount Road before Vohra ownership. APU was at the Karwale event last December. Travasso Fiat 501 of 1919 all know, the Austin like thing is Pranlal's 1909 Fiat ex-Parsi Byculla pertol pump.
Dubash Merc could be the one pictured earlier somewhere in this forum before being exported, maybe to Australia? Old pictures were posted of a similar Merc, was it this?
Perry was a very famous car in the vintage scene, I have a number of pictures. Today with a collector in Delhi.
BTW, the title 'SIR' has a different meaning in South India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Great pictures, thanks so much for sharing!
In the Ballard Estate pictures, I think I see the Jodhpur Lagonda. Is the light coloured car behind it, the ex-Mysore Lancia Dilambda (Prof. Roger Moore ?). I also remember reading somewhere (maybe the Veteran & Vintage Magazine) that the Dubash Mercedes 38/250 was ex-Cholmondeley. Cheers
Maybe the Pratapgarh Lanchester? And the Merc exported, pictures posted before somewhere. Lancia could be Jeejeebhoy, simple Lambda.

Quote:
My pleasure, I think it's important that these times live again. The Merc left our shores years and years ago, so not accounted for anymore. The Lancia I believe was parked and then after some construction was discovered to be immovable as a pair of pillars made egress from her space impossible until recently! Funny story, wonder if it's completely true. The movement in the 60s was, I think, in some ways the movement at its peak. It was enthusiast driven without any corporate flim flam (not saying that's a bad thing) and completely open and not exclusive. Then again, I am not qualified to judge because I don't know much about where it is today.
Jeejeebhoy Lancia was not trapped. I purchased a 4 door Ford A sedan from Pochkhanwalla Road at Worli and this car was locked in one of the garages there. The shutter was opened with difficulty.
BTW Faster, I put up this post without reading the above, we have a similar opinion of the vintage car scene as then and as now. The last sentence in your post above is by far too modest.

Quote:
More than a few cars I knew/know of have met, shall we say, interesting ends. I seem to recall a 300SL engine ending up in a speedboat. A Bugatti which had a house fall on it. A Rolls that ended up being a shed of sorts!
The 300 SL engine may be true, or a tale, have no info either ways. The Bugatti had the ceiling of the porch of Adenwalla bungalow fall on it. Now the car is with Mallya after junking for years in Pune with that 8 Litre Bentley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
So ure trying to say you look like Jackie Shroff eh Harit??!! Seriously that does look like Jackie Shroff and he looks like he is entering a Studio. The Willy's may be owned by some car supplier to films and it was common for actors to take a drive just before they used the car in the shot, to get accustomed to it. Jackie's love for cars is also not hidden from us.
I am not saying anything. The guy who gave me the photo told me that he thought that I was driving the Jeep. I did not pay heed. After scanning I got a big clear picture and it turns out to be Jackie. I will show him this picture sometime.

Finally, Faster, these are great pictures. So much came up when I had no access for three days.
I also got an early colour picture of the Invicta, shall post when I am back. I had heard of another Invicta discovered in around Delhi maybe 15 years ago, and that was promply sent out. But have no hard evidence. And Mumbai still has the Invicta Black Price.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th March 2011 at 17:51.
Old 20th March 2011, 22:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
BTW, the title 'SIR' has a different meaning in South India
Do enlighten me.

Quote:
BTW Faster, I put up this post without reading the above, we have a similar opinion of the vintage car scene as then and as now. The last sentence in your post above is by far too modest.
That's kind of you.

Quote:
The 300 SL engine may be true, or a tale, have no info either ways. The Bugatti had the ceiling of the porch of Adenwalla bungalow fall on it. Now the car is with Mallya after junking for years in Pune with that 8 Litre Bentley.
Yes, but the Bugatti was separated from the Lanchester and its garage mate many years before they all parted company for good. M has done a good job on the Bugatti, considering it wasn't a complete car.

Quote:
Finally, Faster, these are great pictures. So much came up when I had no access for three days.
Pleasure. Perhaps another time I will put up some more.

Quote:
I also got an early colour picture of the Invicta, shall post when I am back.
That would be nice, it was a very hapy part of some very happy, young times!
Old 21st March 2011, 01:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Delhi Invicta I am talking of was seen by me at a restorers, who restores cars in his Chattarpur farm and who claimed it was being restored by him. What i saw was a fully restored (if not original) Invicta. I think it was the Black Prince and not the S type. Still that was many years ago and i only have a faint memory of the spanking beauty, the marque, which i had seen for the first time in India.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The Delhi Invicta I am talking of was seen by me at a restorers, who restores cars in his Chattarpur farm and who claimed it was being restored by him. What i saw was a fully restored (if not original) Invicta. I think it was the Black Prince and not the S type. Still that was many years ago and i only have a faint memory of the spanking beauty, the marque, which i had seen for the first time in India.
Black Prince never made it to Delhi to be worked on, only Mumbai and Pune.
There just could have been a third.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Attachment 520440

Going through my "archives", this fascinating car seems to have gone through many owners (or at least registration numbers). Listed are a few of its numbers, not in any chronological order:

WBx-xx8
BRQ-6923
MRH-7xxx
and of course most recently MP.09.W.7582
I am sure someone can fill in the many more I have missed!
At the Cartier show a fellow member informed me that the car has had over 20 owners! I can also recount CPF regn, though that was probably converted to MP 09 W. Do you have pictures with the car with BRQ number? I do not recall that one.

Quote:
About the Invicta there is no doubt, but where did that car come from? Who were the first owners, before Adenwalla?
A friend mentioned that his father and one of his uncle's did own that particular car at some point. Same friend also was related to Adenwalla, wonder if there is a connection. Will ask once again.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:56   #23
BHPian

Faster789's collection

A number of photographs that I have dug out and scanned. Hopefully, this will remind a number of people of cars, times and people past and present and trigger some relevant debate. Luckily, there is detail on some of the pictures so I do not have to rely entirely on memories.

I have tried to put in some information where it is not immediately obvious, but I would request anyone who wishes to add to a memory or photograph, to please quote it so that the thread remains tidy and informative. I would not like to see comments floating around that have no context. Text refers to photograph above.

The 60s and 70s were a particularly rich time when it came to the vintage and classic car movement, with a lot of wonderful cars and people interacting together. No-one was excluded, in fact, the more the merrier.

I am hoping to add my slides and other items in time, but it is a large collection and will take time. I will add the relevant items to this thread as and when.

Faster789's collection-scan0001.jpg

Bentley 3.5 Litre, 1931

Faster789's collection-scan0002.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom I which had (at time of photograph) a genuine mileage of 9,800 miles. Then in the Sanghi collection.

Faster789's collection-scan0003.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0006.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom II, 1930. Coachwork by Barker; Sedanca de Ville and owned by the Raja of Tirawa.

Faster789's collection-scan0004.jpg

Packard Type 207, 1918

Faster789's collection-scan0005.jpg

Lagonda, 1933 that I think was the winner of the concour it attended in the photograph. Owners Seth and Nagpal of Delhi.

Faster789's collection-scan0007.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom III, 1939

Faster789's collection-scan0008.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom II, 1929

Faster789's collection-scan0009.jpg

The way it used to be. Crowds gathering on rally day at the Gateway of India, a firm favourite for vintage events.

Faster789's collection-scan0010.jpg

1906, Winner of the Aga Khan Challenge Cup for best performance by a lady competitor.

Faster789's collection-scan0011.jpg

Swift, 1906 owned by Mr Shenai down South in Kerala.

Faster789's collection-scan0012.jpg

Lanchester, Vanden Plas 1936. A concours winner belong to Partabgarh.

Faster789's collection-scan0013.jpg

Wonderful picture of the owners son in the Bugatti. What a wonderful machine, it was on the road 6 months later.

Faster789's collection-scan0014.jpg

Interior. Do not know which car it belongs to. The note made says 69 WJ... Simply cannot recall.

Faster789's collection-scan0015.jpg

Lagonda Rapide, 1935. Came down from Ahmedabad for the 1966 Bombay Concours d'Elegance.

Faster789's collection-scan0016.jpg

1936 Cord and 1938 Delage.

Faster789's collection-scan0017.jpg

Lagonda V12, 1939. Owner K Nath from Ahmednagar.

Faster789's collection-scan0018.jpg

Now owned by L de Jonge in Germany, who used to keep in touch. Picture from 1968.

Faster789's collection-scan0019.jpg

Phantom I, ex Sanghi with L de Jonge by it. He restored it and took it with him.

Faster789's collection-scan0021.jpg

Mercedes 38/250 , Fiat 501, Edwardian Fiat and Model T Ford. Taken at '66 Burmah Shell concours in Bombay.

Faster789's collection-scan0022.jpg

Mysore car, richly decorated for Dassara.

Faster789's collection-scan0023.jpg

Gallant Perry, driven 1000 miles plus by owner S Prasad from Luncknow for '66 event.

Faster789's collection-scan0024.jpg

The Jeejeebhoy Lancia, had been in the family since new.

Faster789's collection-scan0025.jpg

Phantom II Continental. The last car ever built. H H Jetha's superb Gurney Nutting Coupe.

Faster789's collection-scan0027.jpg

Lanchester, Partabgarh. Wish I had more colour shots like this one.

Faster789's collection-scan0028.jpg

BUgatti, 1939. Now, my notes say "last series supercharged 8 cyl with special body by de Villiers." I have my doubts though. I seem to recall a royal Talbot Lago? Probably a Bugatti but not 100% on this one.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 13th May 2011 at 14:32. Reason: Adding a little spacing to avoid confusion. Great pics!
Faster789 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 10:22   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Many thanks Faster789 for starting this tread and sharing your amazing collection of pictures. For people like me it will be of great educational value. I am excited on this Thread and look forward for expert comments.

Can you please share more information on BMU 7693 owned by L de Jonge. Is the Bugatti picture taken in India? Where is this car now?

Cheers

KPS
Old 5th May 2011, 10:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Faster.

Awsome pictures, please keep them coming.

Soem questions for you.

1. 1931 Bentley 3.5 : Any more details on this car? Is that a Hyderabad car ? APK ? where is this car now and who owned it. Any idea who bodies it/ looks superb. The windscreen is a killer. Where was this picture taken. There is NSU Sport Prinz visible behind glass in what looks to be a showroom. Please enlighten.

2. Packard Type 207 1918. Who owned this car and where is it now, what an amazing look.

3. Bugatti racer .....what model is this car and who owned it. Where is it now.

4. Lagonda Rapide 1935 - Any more info on this car, is it still around ?

5. 1938 Delage - moe info please and where is this car now ?

6. BMU 7693 - Is this an Invicta or an Alvis. Did it leave India ?

7 Mercedes 38/250 - Details on this please and is it stil in India today ?

8 Last Picture Bugatti 1939 ....was this taken in India/ Who owned it and what happened to it
Old 5th May 2011, 11:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

RR Phantom I looks majestic.

Great pictures, they are such a treasure.

No Vauxhall's in these pics.?
Old 5th May 2011, 11:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much for sharing, Faster. This truly is a treat in the midst of an otherwise lacklustre period, and a long time coming at that.

My 2 bits.

Quote:
Bentley 3.5 Litre, 1931
I think this car is today MMB registered, silver and black (earlier bronze and black, present at Cartier 2008). I think it is French bodied.

Quote:
Rolls Royce Phantom II, 1930. Coachwork by Barker; Sedanca de Ville and owned by the Raja of Tirawa.
I believe this car is still retained.

Quote:
Packard Type 207, 1918
If I remember right this car is in the Mallya collection, close to being completed.

Quote:
Lagonda, 1933 that I think was the winner of the concour it attended in the photograph. Owners Seth and Nagpal of Delhi.
Still alive and well, regularly seen on the Delhi circuit.

Quote:
Rolls Royce Phantom III, 1939
The MPET registration is interesting - is it temporary? I think it is a Darbhanga car.

Quote:
Rolls Royce Phantom II, 1929
Interesting coachwork - does this car survive?

Quote:
Swift, 1906 owned by Mr Shenai down South in Kerala.
This car is probably the one now with Mallya, deep red and black.

Quote:
Wonderful picture of the owners son in the Bugatti. What a wonderful machine, it was on the road 6 months later.
Can you fill in the blanks in the history of this car? Who was the first owner etc?

Quote:
Lagonda Rapide, 1935. Came down from Ahmedabad for the 1966 Bombay Concours d'Elegance.
I think today with Sanghi, attended Cartier 2008.

Quote:
Lagonda V12, 1939. Owner K Nath from Ahmednagar.
I think you mean Ahmedabad, not Ahmednagar. Car currently in Delhi, lucky owner awini on forum.

Quote:
Now owned by L de Jonge in Germany, who used to keep in touch. Picture from 1968.
This is another S Type? Wow! Had no idea about it.

Quote:
Mercedes 38/250 , Fiat 501, Edwardian Fiat and Model T Ford. Taken at '66 Burmah Shell concours in Bombay.
Mercedes ex Dubash, now exported? Fiat is still with Travasso, older Fiat with Bhogilal, T Ford I think is APU, Vora, currently restored and on the rally circuit.

Quote:
The Jeejeebhoy Lancia, had been in the family since new.
Currently being restored by family.

Quote:
BUgatti, 1939. Now, my notes say "last series supercharged 8 cyl with special body by de Villiers." I have my doubts though. I seem to recall a royal Talbot Lago? Probably a Bugatti but not 100% on this one.
Very probable to be a special coachbuilt Talbot - but there were some bizarre looking one-off Bugattis as well. Also we can see a Bugatti-esque front badge. This car is/was in India? Remarkable!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 5th May 2011 at 17:24. Reason: Typo
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 19:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

These are fantastic photos, can only come from someone close to an enthusiast cum participant of the 1960's. Hopefully there are more pictures coming from here. I myself got a lot of 100 pics from someone whose father was closely associated with the vintage car movement in the 1960's / 1970's. And common is the presence of Sanghi, I believe that Satish Sanghi had many cars which are now out of India.
Comments:
Bentley now Mumbai car, body by Anton, Belgium I believe?
Packard now Mallya, ex-Governor of Pondy, oldest Packard in India?
Swift is now with Mallya
Bugatti this must be the one with Mallya on which the roof of a porch fell?
Delage was with Swadi, sold to Sanghi. It was rotting in Nana Chowk. But what is that Cord? Not the supercharged one of Sanghi.
Perry now with Chaudhurie collection
Bugatti/Talbot is great, I have heard of it as a Bugatti. Wowee, first picture seen here.
As I can see, the vintage car movement had a lot of interaction between Mumbai, Delhi and Ahmedabad, each ones pictures and cars were found/seen in others places. From Delhi I got that Invicta BMW posted by me earlier, a colour picture when colour films were just being used.

Cheers harit
Old 5th May 2011, 19:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

What finally happened to the Delage ....such a fine car
Old 6th May 2011, 02:46   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! What superb pictures and "pure nostalgia". An attempt at identifying some of the cars:

RR PI Chassis 15-YC Hooper Tourer, ex-Chhota-Udepur

================================================== ===

RR PIII Chassis 3BU-134 ex-Kolhapur
================================================== ==

RR PII Chassis 86-XJ, ex-Rewa. Car was for sale in 2010

================================================== =====

Mr. Roni Khan's article in The Veteran & Vintage mag for Jan 1969 has this caption for the picture:
"Unusual pair. On the left is a 1936 Cord 810, owned by Daniel McNally and on the right is Mr. Kersey Katrak's 1938 D8.120 Delage, with coachwork by de Villars".

de Vilars is referred to in the unidentified Bugatti / Talbot-Lago picture

==============================================

RR PI Chassis 87-RC, Windovers Limo, ex-Sangli

================================================== ====

69-WJ is a valid RR PII Chassis number, a Town Car by Brewster that appeared in the movie "The King & The Chorus Girl". Would be interesting to find out / confirm if this photo was taken in India!
================================================== ===

Wondering if the Bugatti with the kid is the ex-J.R.D. Tata car

I believe French Talbot-Lagos had a vertical rectangular badge and "export" versions had a round badge. Not seen an oval badge, but I could be wrong.

Of course any expert opinion / comments are welcome! Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 6th May 2011 at 02:57.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks