Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 16:16   #166
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Hi Classic Stanley, Welcome to this section of the forum. Please post pictures of your Daimler double six and the story behind it. India is a treasure trove of British cars from a glorious era bygone. Why not plan to come over? We will arrange for you to see lots of beauties. Perhaps, and this is just speculation on my part, India may well boast of the largest number of vintage and classic British cars outside of Britain, most still driveable.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 14:07   #167
Senior - BHPian

As a "time-pass" I went through this thread again and thought to google Britannia World Tour.
This steam truck is a 1926 Foden C Type 6 Ton steam wagon which travelled between 1968 to 1972 round the world, from Europe to Asia to NewZealand & Australia, then was shipped to America. I would have thought that this steam lorry was much older.
Check these links:

STEAM WAGON LEAVES FOR WORLD TOUR - British Pathé
THE STEAM MUSEUM| Foden Steam Wagon "Britannia" and her Grand Global Tour

I also noticed that the Statesman Ford Model T came for the rally, on the participant number Gabriel was mentioned, so who sponsored this event? Maybe Statesman and Gabriel as co-sponsors? Statesman continued to have rallies in Delhi and Kolkata, why not Bombay? Just wondering.

Cheers harit

Pics taken from Faster's posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-fodden.jpg  

Faster789's collection-fordt.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 11th August 2012 at 14:08.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:31   #168
BHPian

Harit, I recall The Statesman was involved in the Bombay rallies years ago. Some problems on awarding prizes was the reason they pulled out. Sadly, my friend Bikram Singh of the statesman is no more and I do not think the current people in charge remember. Maybe some of the older stalwarts [ faster, are you reading this?] can educate us?
Old 5th September 2012, 17:51   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Browsing through prewarcar.com I chanced upon these great photos by Harit (free of obtrusive trademarks, a privilege prewarcar gets but TBHP doesn't ).

Faster789's collection-invicta_gw7575_470.jpg
Faster789's collection-invicta_gw7575_600.jpg

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/pr...ta-018244.html

faster, can you hazard a guess if this car was in India, if it is the BMU car or the Roni Khan car or a third car?

Faster789's collection-scan0018.jpg
Faster789's collection-10.jpg

I can see notable differences to the BMU car - no vents in the front panel and a white steering wheel - though both could be later changes too.
karlosdeville is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 21:41   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
faster, can you hazard a guess if this car was in India, if it is the BMU car or the Roni Khan car or a third car?

I can see notable differences to the BMU car - no vents in the front panel and a white steering wheel - though both could be later changes too.
It has the same cutaway driver's door (full door on left). The headlamps are different - European (pointed) on the prewarcar.com car vs regular on the other
Old 5th September 2012, 21:49   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
Browsing through prewarcar.com I chanced upon these great photos by Harit (free of obtrusive trademarks, a privilege prewarcar gets but TBHP doesn't ).

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/pr...ta-018244.html

These are the same car ! Experts can update and brief. But its to my eye the car Thru three ownerships till the last BMW registration

The European light is and looks like the first ownership then Roni Khan phase and finally Changed to Lucas lights of Mr Bhoghilals time.

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 5th September 2012 at 21:52.
Old 6th September 2012, 00:21   #172
BHPian

one invicta left india for the uk in the early 1990s, maybe its that?
Old 6th September 2012, 09:36   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
These are the same car ! Experts can update and brief. But its to my eye the car Thru three ownerships till the last BMW registration

The European light is and looks like the first ownership then Roni Khan phase and finally Changed to Lucas lights of Mr Bhoghilals time.
All three cannot be the same car - the BMW registered car is ex Roni Khan, currently Bhogilal, now GRD registered. The BMU registered car posted by faster is a different car, now exported, I think mentioned as Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
I wonder if you mean the same BMU registered car pictured earlier? Do you have any more details on the car you mention? Was she in Bombay?
Old 6th September 2012, 09:43   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
How ???? Any pics of it or any details ????
Old 6th September 2012, 18:21   #175
Senior - BHPian

An additional picture for t-bhpians. And the neon is back

These pictures come from a set of negatives which I got and printed. The person sitting in the car could be an Indian, the background with barbed wire over the drain pipes and banana trees is not UK. My theory is that an Invicta GW 7575 was purchased in UK and brought to India. This registration is defunct in UK.
We have seen pictures of two Invictas in India, I also heard that one went out with a Rolls taken by a German, but I also heard that an Invicta went out in the 1990's.
So enjoy the additional picture, and try to identify the person behind the wheel. Till then the mystery is unsolved.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-invi2.jpg  

Attached Images

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 21:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
An additional picture for t-bhpians. And the neon is back

These pictures come from a set of negatives which I got and printed. The person sitting in the car could be an Indian, the background with barbed wire over the drain pipes and banana trees is not UK. My theory is that an Invicta GW 7575 was purchased in UK and brought to India. This registration is defunct in UK.
We have seen pictures of two Invictas in India, I also heard that one went out with a Rolls taken by a German, but I also heard that an Invicta went out in the 1990's.
So enjoy the additional picture, and try to identify the person behind the wheel. Till then the mystery is unsolved.

Cheers harit
The person could be young Roni khan ? I am taking a super wild guess. Plus the @ HARIT is ruining the snap
kasli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 20:58   #177
BHPian

Some interesting shots on my thread in my absence. It is very difficult to tell whether the three cars are the same car, because they are the same model.

I can only confirm a couple of things as fact:

1. The pictures taken of GW7575 (which should be a UK registration) don't appear to be in India but in a tropical British colony. It could be the Adenwalla/Khan/Bhogilal car but I can't be sure.

2. The gentleman driving the car does not look like my old friend.

Lastly, the @Harit print on the pictures is a real shame. I am not sure why this is being done, but these pictures are in the public domain and I really don't think sticking a neon font on them is going to protect his copyright (if it his copyright in the first place) in any meaningful way. Furthermore, what in the world is being protected and why? It would nice if Harit could do away with the eyesore and just contribute images the way everyone else does.
Faster789 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 14:24   #178
BHPian

I've looked at this a little closer now that I've had a minute.

The car in the prewar link (http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/pr...ta-018244.html) could well be the Adenwalla/Khan car though I definitely can't recall the vertical ribs on the headlamps. The reason I think it could be this car is because of the air vents in the horizontal plate between the registration and radiator.

The other s-Type had a solid plate and belonged to for a while to B. Billimoria. It went to a few owners before a Swede (not a German) bought it and legally exported it along with the Silver Ghost.

Wonderful machines. The car's party trick was to start at the bottom of the steepest hill in Malabar hill and go straight up, from a standing start in fourth gear. Now, that's old school torque.
Faster789 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 15:07   #179
BHPian

Here's an interesting shot which I think I may have posted elsewhere but though I should add to this thread. More of a history piece about what the car did, than the car itself.

Faster789's collection-rsz_dscf1755.jpg

Taken at B's house and a lovely reminder of the old route to Pune so many of us took... and then on to M'War when it was relatively unspoiled.

Must have been such a wonderful drive that day and with such a great goal. Interestingly, the record for Flaminia Zagato as the fastest B'bay-Pune ever will always stand as the road no longer exists (or does it? Haven't been up in years!).

A car I have driven myself in years gone by, it really was so much faster than most cars on the road at the time. Perfect machine to attempt the record in. Lots of torque to handle the ghat section and lovely, lovely handling when it had the right tyres.

I hope she drives half as well now, as she was a 5 year old filly at the time of the record and is now a 50+ year grande dame.
Faster789 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 15:44   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Here's an interesting shot ........
Most interesting, and for more reasons in addition to the car or driver.

This was certified by Motor Sports Club, Bombay. When you google that, you get THE FEDERATION OF MOTOR SPORTS CLUBS OF INDIA. They mention about their history, and go on to say " In the morass of an unorganized sport, a few clubs took birth - The Madras Motor Sports Club, the MG Car Club in Mumbai and the Bangalore Motor Sports Club". There is no mention of Motor Sports Club, Bombay. Is this something to do with early politics, or maybe just forgotton in history.
Can you please try to get the names of the signatories, President, Vice President, Hon Secretary?
Most interesting indeed.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks