Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 17:46   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Where was the Armstrong Siddley finally restored? I recall seeing her in great detail in person in Pune in 2007, she was on jacks and parked in a covered shed behind a famous garage, where my Rover was undergoing brakework. She had the same blue colour scheme on her then. Good to hear she's back on the road and still in Bombay.

Last edited by the mole : 9th January 2013 at 17:50.
Old 9th January 2013, 22:33   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Never knew the 'Bundi' car had a Jodhpur connection - though the paint scheme now does make sense. Any more details/history on the Bundi car? If I remember right she even made the coveted 'Tin Tin' list.
The car was made famous by its appearance in the TV Series "Bring 'Em Back Alive" in the 1982-1983. Set in Singapore with Bruce Boxleitner.

The car itself is a PII Continental bodied by Binder of France.

I know nothing of its history in India, after Jodhpur; and think it could have been bodied much prettier (personal opinion only!)

Faster789's collection-jodhpur-rr-pii-continental-15ry-rear-3q.jpg

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?ma...InclChassis=on

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_257448-...15RY-1934.html

Last edited by travancore : 9th January 2013 at 22:35.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 13:48   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Some more. Much less time consuming to put up pictures knowing that there will be no trouble identifying the cars. ........

To respond to Harit and Bulldogji, I am aware of the facts below with the exception of the broken ankle. Not sure how else to respond to "funny feeling"s other than to suggest Bulldogji's response................

I have a feeling that Faster has many more pictures and info to share from his family's association with the vintage car sport. Hope to see much more from him because stories evolve, curiousity gets aroused, memories rekindled. Like this below:

About 12 days ago I got a lot of photos, B+W as usual, and there were only two coloured photos which are attached herewith. The coincidence is that Faster posted this car just after I got them. I think that the photos were taken near Chowpatti bandstand. This means that here there are images of the car taken at both ends of Marine Drive!

Yet no one seems to remember this car. It was a very prominent entry in Bombay events carrying accessories for communication in those times. No more hints

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-dicky.jpg  

Faster789's collection-foa1.jpg  

Faster789's collection-foa2.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 12th January 2013 at 13:51.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 14:17   #214
Senior - BHPian

Is this Rasool's or Mr Dhondys car . Its not Rashid Fatehaly (jumbled the surname ) car. That was had a much different grill. Otherwise cannot recall

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

I have a feeling that Faster has many more pictures and info to share from his family's association with the vintage car sport. Hope to see much more from him because stories evolve, curiousity gets aroused, memories rekindled. Like this below:

About 12 days ago I got a lot of photos, B+W as usual, and there were only two coloured photos which are attached herewith. The coincidence is that Faster posted this car just after I got them. I think that the photos were taken near Chowpatti bandstand. This means that here there are images of the car taken at both ends of Marine Drive!

Yet no one seems to remember this car. It was a very prominent entry in Bombay events carrying accessories for communication in those times. No more hints

Cheers harit
Old 13th January 2013, 17:56   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is this Rasool's or Mr Dhondys car . Its not Rashid Fatehaly (jumbled the surname ) car. That was had a much different grill. Otherwise cannot recall Cheers
Well, the owner then was Ankleshwaria, and he lived in Gwalior Tank. He was a Ham radio fanatic and for every rally was always moving around with his radio installed and a tall aerial. He also displayed his Ham licence number. Does anyone remember what a Ham radio was? Well, he used to relay info while driving to the IARC control.
This car is indeed now with Fali uncle.

Rashid's car was not an "A". There was one more, the MRD registered thing, and another of Capt. Vashisht who took it to Hyderabad when he retired.

Cheers harit
Old 13th January 2013, 21:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Does anyone remember what a Ham radio was? Well, he used to relay info while driving to the IARC control.

Cheers harit
Yes I do. You need a license and a whole lot of equipment. Good hobby cos very useful in times of war or natural disasters. By the way Ham/Amateur radio still exist today.
Cheers
Old 1st March 2013, 11:43   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, a Parsi gent on this forum informed me that the Batliboi Rolls was in fact the Baroda Landualette which is now abroad. .............Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The "Bless With Glorious Reign" car is most probably a PI (Chassis 75-EH; A.Mulliner Landaulette)............
Quote:
And so now you see the ex-Batliboi car. Always subject to correction. Cheers harit
And has to be corrected. 75-EH was recently in an auction, covered in a recent Auto India. And so I dug out all material I have on the Jungleewalla car, and some fresh material I got, and Bulldogji was right. These are two different car, Batlibhoy car was not the Baroda car. Windshield is different, as are other features, but both were Landaulettes.

I pulled this thread up from the third page, Faster please keep posting, this is one of the best threads.

Cheers harit
Old 1st March 2013, 19:30   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its probably the one under the "BLESS WITH GLORIOUS REIGN" gate.

Cheers harit
After a lot of deliberation, I now think that the Baroda "Bless With Glorious Reign" car is the Phantom II currently in Hyderabad (Chassis 101-GY) and not
PI 75-EH as I had earlier thought !

Way too many similarities between the two cars!

Faster789's collection-baroda-rr-pii-101gy-glorious-reign.jpg

Faster789's collection-baroda-rr-pii-101gy-current.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 1st March 2013 at 19:32.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:59   #219
Senior - BHPian

I have a little Hotchkiss mystery for all of us to think and ponder.
I am putting up a pictures of Pranlal's car as taken last year in his Museum. Then there are pictures of the same car in a rally in Delhi, and again the same car later in a rally in Mumbai. I am also posting a picture of the missing sedan. Maybe some dates of these events can be more specific.
Two photos were posted by Faster earlier on this thread.
Please check the radiator shell and bumpers, and comment.

Faster789's collection-pranlal-hotchk.jpg
Pranlal's car today

Faster789's collection-hotchk-delhi.jpg
Pranlal's car in a Delhi event, around 1970

Faster789's collection-hotchk-mumbai.jpg
Pranlal's car in a Mumbai event around 1973

Faster789's collection-hotchkiss.jpg
The missing sedan.

Last edited by harit : 2nd March 2013 at 13:01.
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:14   #220
Senior - BHPian

The radiator edges in the pic of the car look much angular and not rounded as in the other pics.The also feel the fender seems much bigger in the pic of the car in the museum.The splats also doesnt seem would fit in the mumbai rally avatar of the car.Been restored quite a few times?
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:45   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a little Hotchkiss mystery for all of us to think and ponder.
I would still maintain that Pranlal's car has always been the same, yes the grille may have been reworked at some point, and the rest of the car 'beautified', but I doubt it has anything to do with the sedan (what a lovelt car though). Though the sedan grille is similar profile to present day Pranlal grille, I don't think they are the same, the borders seem of different sizes.

I recently saw an old picture of a sporty looking 2 door convertible Hotchkiss. It seemed less ornate than the IDAR car now in Ahmedabad that we know, and it sported plates that simply read BARODA. Faster, would you have any pictures of that car in your archives?
Old 2nd March 2013, 20:05   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
75-EH was recently in an auction, covered in a recent Auto India.
Cheers harit
Baroda RR PI 71-RF (sister car to 75-EH) was recently auctioned. Is 75-EH still around ?

71-RF courtesy RM Auctions:

Faster789's collection-baroda-rr-pi-71rf-side-l-profile-cropped.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Baroda RR PI 71-RF (sister car to 75-EH) was recently auctioned. Is 75-EH still around ?

71-RF courtesy RM Auctions:
This car has been extensively featured in the current Zigwheels on stands

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:31   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I would still maintain that Pranlal's car has always been the same, yes the grille may have been reworked at some point, and the rest of the car 'beautified', but .........................
I recently saw an old picture of a sporty looking 2 door convertible Hotchkiss. It seemed less ornate than the IDAR car now in Ahmedabad that we know, and it sported plates that simply read BARODA. Faster, would you have any pictures of that car in your archives?
Please have a relook at my Hotchkiss post. The car in the Delhi rally has a different grill. Bumper also seems Hotchkiss. This is why I was intrigued.
Baroda Hotchkiss, could it have been a light colour like white? Then I will proceed.

Quote:
Baroda RR PI 71-RF (sister car to 75-EH) was recently auctioned. Is 75-EH still around ?................................]
This post has answered some questions. I was wondering why they said that this car was hidden in a collection when I have pictures from an auction held a few years ago. The answer lies in SISTER cars. Now I would like to have some info about the Govenor of Bombay, Lord Brabournes car (not a PIII). That car was also a Landaulette and was supposed to have gone to the far east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
This car has been extensively featured in the current Zigwheels on stands Cheers
.....and Auto India of last month. Check out the March 2013 issue, you won't regret it

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 2nd March 2013 at 23:35.
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:04   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This post has answered some questions. I was wondering why they said that this car was hidden in a collection when I have pictures from an auction held a few years ago. The answer lies in SISTER cars.

Now I would like to have some info about the Govenor of Bombay, Lord Brabournes car (not a PIII). That car was also a Landaulette and was supposed to have gone to the far east.

Cheers harit

So which Baroda sister car are we talking about that is recently in the news , 71-RF or 75-EH ?

The Bombay Governor PI that is / was in Singapore should be chassis 35-FH, a Windovers landaulette. Not sure if it was Lord Brabourne or Sir John Leigh.

Last edited by travancore : 3rd March 2013 at 08:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks