Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 16:04   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

That is a truly amazing time even by modern standards. Mr Rossi must have been a truly accomplished driver. Was this event held anually? Which other cars were contending and holding this record before the Lancia? thanks for this piece of history.

I hope she can make it someday to our annual mahableshwar run :-)

Last edited by the mole : 14th September 2012 at 16:05.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:08   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Here's an interesting shot which I think I may have posted elsewhere but though I should add to this thread. More of a history piece about what the car did, than the car itself.

Must have been such a wonderful drive that day and with such a great goal. Interestingly, the record for Flaminia Zagato as the fastest B'bay-Pune ever will always stand as the road no longer exists (or does it? Haven't been up in years!).
Thanks once again. Any more information you can share on this organization? Do dig into your archives...

Incidentally I distinctly remember reading about JRD's record runs in his Bugatti along the same road I guess - were they ever documented, or just legends?
Old 14th September 2012, 17:35   #183
BHPian

Hello Karl, I think you are confusing things a little bit. There are a lot of stories about JRD and the Bugatti including one about who he married! Some of them are true, but most are really just rubbish.

To my knowledge he did not hold a Bombay-Pune record when he had the car. He did however hold various records at the Bombay Speed Trials which were held when the British were in charge. He also held some aviation records.

Here's a picture of him at the Bombay Speed trials in 1927.

Faster789's collection-untitled.jpg

Rossi was a good driver indeed, but he was pretty rash too! The Zagato's a great car but like all sportscars of its time in India it was on tyres that weren't quite right. The 365 was on funny tyres and the 300SL survived for a bit on what (I think) were jeep tyres? That really did compromise the handling and I remember a few BIG "moments" in a number of cars as a result... Remember, no seat belts either and zero crumple zone. You'd end up with an engine in your lap if you were unlucky.
Faster789 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 09:36   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rossi was a good driver indeed, but he was pretty rash too!
I remember Mr. Setna of Apex telling me a story about a rally he did with him in an Italian car (I think it was an Alfa, but subject to correction), all guns blazing, till they had a very nasty crash. Noteworthy was that they were smoking cigars in the car, while carrying extra fuel in the back, but they got lucky It was a simpler time...
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 12:43   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
......... they were smoking cigars in the car, while carrying extra fuel in the back, ...........
I too have heard this story, and the fuel was aviation grade, a wee bit more cumbustible

Cheers harit
Old 16th September 2012, 11:17   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Here's an interesting shot which I think I may have posted elsewhere but though I should add to this thread. More of a history piece about what the car did, than the car itself.

I don't know is it me or my eyes. From what I can make out with these dim eyes the engine capacity of the Zagato is shown as 1500 c.c.!
The 1960 Flaminia Zagato was a 2500c.c engine, later on enlarged to 2800cc.
If it does say 1500cc, then that is a major oversight by a car club with three signatories!

But agreed 100 per cent on the handling capabilities of the Flaminia, that car hugged the road like no other of the time. Even 50 years down the road she is still a joy to behold.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th September 2012 at 12:50. Reason: Fixing quote
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 13:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

This Invicta S Type low chassis No S77 belongs to Allan Chandler and was taking part in a recent event in the UK.

Is this the one that was exported from India
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-invicta160.jpg  

Old 17th September 2012, 16:26   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif
This Invicta S Type low chassis No S77 belongs to Allan Chandler and was taking part in a recent event in the UK.

Is this the one that was exported from India
Love the way the wine and glasses are laid out , what a set for a meal.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:54   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The BMW registered car is ex Roni Khan, currently Bhogilal, now GRD registered.
Incidentally while chatting with a friend today he mentioned the Roni Khan Invicta was imported to India by one Mr. Billimoria, was then bought by his father, and then sold to Khan.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:09   #190
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the best threads here, and it has gone to page 3. Doesn't anyone have anything to contribute to the history of the Vintage car movement in Bombay (Mumbai)? Faster, where art thou?

I came across some literature courtsey a fellow t-bhpian. On going through the same, I can say that the compound in which these cars are shown is located in south Mumbai.
The Vintage car club was founded in 1965, and apparently their first event was held in 1968. The club had just 7 members (all names available, how times have changed) including office bearers in 1968, obviously not all participants were members.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-fast1.jpg  

Faster789's collection-fast2.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 16:15   #191
BHPian

Best wishes for 2013 and a small gesture on my part in the form of some more pictures.

Harit, thank you for the tasteful reference to my copyright in my photographs in your post above.

Faster789's collection-img070.jpg

Faster789's collection-img071.jpg

Faster789's collection-img072.jpg

Faster789's collection-img073.jpg

Faster789's collection-img074.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 16:56   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Best wishes for 2013 and a small gesture on my part in the form of some more pictures.
Great start to the year, thanks for sharing.

First picture appears to be the well known SS100.

Second picture shows the silver XK120 DHC. Harit had posted some pictures and history earlier, possibly this is the car that went abroad, came back and got an MFA registration, now white and in Delhi. Subject to correction.

Third image is the air cooled Rover we know well.

Fourth image shows one of the late Adi Malgham's racers - apparently named Hanuman. Not bad looking, I must say! Shall try to get more details and images from the family.

Last image could possibly be the Armstrong Siddeley saloon, now restored in red and black? Quite a grand car, and coachwork does look similar to the Gore family Daimler.

EDIT - Faster, are the images dated? If so, do let us know when these were shot.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th January 2013 at 16:57.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 17:15   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best wishes for 2013 and a small gesture on my part in the form of some more pictures. Harit, thank you for the tasteful reference to my copyright in my photographs ........................
Hi Faster, reciprocate the greetings. You have been posting photos, they are yours, I should acknowledge them accordingly. Do you also have some period literature?
Karl has commented on the photos, they are all taken at Nariman Point, maybe during the same event. There was an event which was sponsored by Oberoi, and the yellow Rover was displayed in the lobby with trays under the mechanicals to collect dripping oil. Those who remember will recognize the danglers in the background will recognize this as the lobby of Oberoi in those days.
The Jaguar is the Kenya returned car.
The blue Limo is the Armstrong-Siddley of Malabar Hill now restored, thankfully. That car had suffered. Should be Cartier worthy.
These pictures are from the mid 1980's.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 17:17   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Harit, thank you for the tasteful reference to my copyright in my photographs in your post above.
Thank you and Great pics . The Naik yellow home bred car solves one of my oldest mysteries
Old 7th January 2013, 17:38   #195
BHPian

Hi Faster, great to see you active again. Harit commented on the earlier days, the sixties, so here is my two penny bit. The first president of the Vintage Car Club was P S Davar. The Vice president was Rusi Vatcha of the famous petrol pump on Hughes road. Rusi had some notable cars and bikes. The secretary was Roni Khan and the treasurer, Pesy shroff, a gentleman to whom most of the credit should go for finding cars for Pranlal Bhogilal. Members were M L Advani, B N Divecha and H H Jetha. The first rally , probably in 1968, had the Jetha Rolls participating. It is said that Mr Jetha himself preferred to participate riding a 1 HP Horse, who tossed him resulting in Mr Jetha suffering from a fractured ankle. This club functioned from Roni Khan's house on Dongarsi road and membership was open to all. A newsletter was published, funded by a donation from Jetha Metallizing Private Limited. In those days, stalwarts like Khan, Shroff and Divecha went all over finding cars and happily passed on information to those whom they thought had the capacity to buy them. Their sole interest was to ensure that the cars found good homes. In fact it was these gentlemen who first mooted the idea of banning export of vintage cars in an attempt to preserve our motoring heritage. Sadly they have been by and large forgotten. Maybe forum member Amir , son of H H jetha can be persuaded to ask his dad to look back in time and tell us about those days?
Bulldogji is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks