Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 20:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore

I have been out of the country way too long to personally know anything about these cars.

Attaching another period picture of GJY-4763 from the web. Would not be suprised if our own Faster789 was the man behing the lens!

source: www.ucapusa.com
Is this car still in Delhi and in a collection which houses a Hispano and still incomplete .

Cheers
Old 30th June 2012, 23:00   #137
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

To churn the cream up a bit, a little bird has been telling me (for sometime now) about a Lanchester being gifted by a (senior) gentleman in the Delhi v&c circles to a (younger) one! The latter is a member of this forum, so I shall leave it to him to corroborate this. Although knowing him well, I doubt he'll pick up the gauntlet, and tell us anything more than what he thinks we need to know, if anything at all.
Old 1st July 2012, 12:24   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

While on the subject of Nawanagar Lanchesters, here are some pictures of a car that is possibly still retained by them. I think they were posted earlier too, but elsewhere.

Faster789's collection-nawanagar01.jpg

Faster789's collection-nawanagar02.jpg

Faster789's collection-nawanagar08.jpg

Car looks like its unrestored, but very nice all the same.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:47   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I now know that Adenwalla had many Bentley's, and the MK VI would have been a relatively modern car, only 20 to 22 years old. Maybe it was more of a regular car. Not really collectable when you have the 8 litre Bentley, Bugatti, Invicta, AC?, Cord, etc.
A top quality 8 litre is a million pound car these days, and the other cars were/are of an excellent calibre too. A MKVI would normally struggle in this company, but it was a particularly beautiful body. A lovely example of a lovely Rolls-Bentley.

He had others cars too, but perhaps others will fill in the blanks in my memory.

Quote:
The car at Pebble Beach must have been that Pratabgarh car which went out legally.Cheers harit
Correct. It's departure was entirely legal.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2012 at 09:01. Reason: Please do use the Multi-quote (QUOTE+) feature when quoting multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:24   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Faster, this post and others below have me confused. Chassis 51050 may not be the car we are talking about, GJY 4763. The numbers mentioned in travancore's post from Autocar are different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Excellent attention to detail Bulldogji and Travancore, this should help a little further.

The most famous buyer of Daimlers was the Jam Sahib of Nawanagar. He bought within a small time frame four Daimler DE27's. Chassis 51045 (Hooper body number 9187) and chassis 51046 (Hooper body number 9188) are from April 1946 and are DE27 limousines. Chassis 51049 (Vanden Plas body number 4031) and chassis 51050 (Vanden Plas body number 4032) were built shortly afterwards as allweathers.

One of the two allweathers (chassis 51049) was displayed at Pebble Beach USA a few years ago and won its class. The car was taken out of India in the early nineties. The other allweather (chassis 51050) is in the UK.
GJY-4763 is not Chassis 51050 (VdP 4032).

51049 & 51050 are shown below, courtesy of VdP Coachwork by Brian Smith again:

Faster789's collection-nawanagar-lanchesters-51049-51050.jpg

51049 looks similar to the car posted by karlos in Post # 138, but that seems to have vents in the bonnet sides.

Last edited by travancore : 3rd July 2012 at 03:27.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
To churn the cream up a bit, a little bird has been telling me (for sometime now) about a Lanchester being gifted by a (senior) gentleman in the Delhi v&c circles to a (younger) one! The latter is a member of this forum, so I shall leave it to him to corroborate this. Although knowing him well, I doubt he'll pick up the gauntlet, and tell us anything more than what he thinks we need to know, if anything at all.
I am wondering why that Lanchester was dsmantled, while in Mumbai she was a complete running car. And I believe the car is still not completed.

That Hispano, ex-Kapurthala by chance?

Cheers harit
Old 7th July 2012, 14:46   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Sorry to digress on a thread of such pedigree, but amongst the super pics on this thread is one of the dark blue and black (?) Daimler saloon. In the back a parrot green Amby Mk 3 is seen. It appears to have a larger rear windscreen than normal (could be a trick on the eyes, but humour me)....Here is a picture I took of Harit's beat up Mk 3 Amby some years ago, also green. Also with a larger rear glass installed. Harit, were you in Delhi with the Amby ever? ]
The Amby was in Delhi for a while, being used by my friend from UK. The first thing he did was fit that wheelcap

As you can see, near the PCO there is a blue box with a tapping cable connected, a Delhi feature.
Subsequently the car came back to me.

Cheers harit
Old 8th July 2012, 12:46   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car with Boa Constrictor horn is a Wolseley. Belonged to a Bohri gent, now with Mallya.
Finally dug up the pictures to compare. Seems to be a correct match.

Faster789's collection-wolesley03.jpg

Faster789's collection-wolesley04.jpg

Faster789's collection-wolesley05.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 15:07   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...... Seems to be a correct match.
"Seems" is a wrong word, when I spoke to you I told you that this was Mallyas car and requested you to put up the pictures. I met someone who took part in that rally, he told me about the Bohri gent being the owner, I knew that Mallya bought the car from a Bohri gent at Worli. The 4 thanks could actually go to my account.

Meanwhile, I am still haunted by that Hotchkiss. I am told that she was a 7 seater, had a Cortal gearbox. Sadly the mechanic who worked on her is no more, hope the car was not scrapped because of the gearbox. Few could manage to keep the Cortal gearbox in good order, a fellow t-bhpian in Bangalore now owns an ex-Bombay Daimler which was discarded due to a similar problem. I'm not saying that the Hotchkiss has been scrapped. Still searching for news on this.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 12th July 2012 at 15:15.
Old 12th July 2012, 17:28   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"Seems" is a wrong word, when I spoke to you I told you that this was Mallya's car and requested you to put up the pictures.
... which is why I quoted your post, implying so! Sorry to have hogged your 'thanks'.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

I have been able to ascertain quite definitely that the tear drop Bentley did not go via Adenwalla. Anyone knows who owned it before Apte's? I was told that it was the Maharaja of Mysore.

Cheers harit
Old 16th July 2012, 17:24   #147
BHPian

Harit, you seem to be quite insistent that the Adenwala Bentley and the Apte Bentley were one and the same. Why? Could their not have been two tear drops in Bombay? I do not know, but Adenwala had a tear drop. Mysore? Apte? or some other?
Old 16th July 2012, 17:56   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Could their not have been two tear drops in Bombay? I do not know, but Adenwala had a tear drop. Mysore? Apte? or some other?
There was another one registered BYH 2829, (Sedanca Coupe by Hooper. No. B47 EW Sage green over Napier green), discussed earlier on the forum, ex Mysore, mentioned as belonging to one Reporter/Batliwala family who took it to the UK when they moved. It was offered for sale in the UK a few years back. Possibly some connection - do you remember it?
Old 16th July 2012, 19:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, you seem to be quite insistent that the Adenwala Bentley and the Apte Bentley were one and the same. Why? Could their not have been two tear drops in Bombay? I do not know, but Adenwala had a tear drop. Mysore? Apte? or some other?
You know how I try to find out history about automobiles and collectors/collections. Many moons ago I had put up a question somewhere on this forum asking about Adenwalla collection. Response was next to 0.
Mysore to Apte are the same car, and I doubt whether there was a second tear drop Bentley, never heard of a second. Or some other... yes, but teardrop unlikely.

Quote:
There was another one registered BYH 2829, (Sedanca Coupe by Hooper. No. B47 EW Sage green over Napier green), discussed earlier on the forum, ex Mysore, mentioned as belonging to one Reporter/Batliwala family who took it to the UK when they moved. It was offered for sale in the UK a few years back. Possibly some connection - do you remember it?
Yes, the connection was that this too was a Mysore car, but certainly not a teardrop. In fact it was Julian who had put up that photo of the car in UK being sold. I was told that Reporter needed some paper from VCCCI to allow the export, and this was given about the time the car participated in its last VCCCI rally, I understand that that was a request.

These two cars and a convertible were sold almost simultaneously by Mysore, the convertible going to Pune (guess).
Old 16th July 2012, 19:43   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
I have been able to ascertain quite definitely that the tear drop Bentley did not go via Adenwalla. Anyone knows who owned it before Apte's? I was told that it was the Maharaja of Mysore.

Cheers harit
Yes, it's a Mysore car. I shall ask senior Apte for some details of . I meant Mr Arvind Apte

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks