Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 18:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Faster, great to see you active again. Harit commented on the earlier days, the sixties, so here is my two penny bit......
I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that Faster789 is aware of all the above, and comments below

I have an old photo of Russi with a Crossley, a big tourer, not the one now left in Mumbai.
It is possible that the Mr. Advani was the owner of the 1914 Model T.
BN Divecha was Bhagvan Divecha who owned a 1928 Ford A tourer which was picked up by Vohra for a sports goods shop owner who sold it on to Solanki, its still with him. I was there when Vohra took delivery, the car was worked on and driven away. He also owned a pre-war Morris Minor which is around, barely. Cars were sold by Mrs. Divecha after Mr. Divecha's demise.
Mr. Jetha could not drive his car as he had indeed broken an ankle. Maybe someone drove it for him.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 7th January 2013 at 18:50.
Old 7th January 2013, 21:42   #197
BHPian

Harit, I would be surprised if faster was unaware of the information I posted. BUT, he is not my source. Put on your thinking cap. You may not be successful as my source is not at all interested in cars, vintage or otherwise.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:11   #198
BHPian

Maybe forum member Amir , son of H H jetha can be persuaded to ask his dad to look back in time and tell us about those days?

I will be happy to ask my dad if he would like to share his memories about those days. In the meanwhile, here is some more information from our files, an extract from the June 1972 IARC Bulletin No-2...

INDIAN AUTOMOTIVE RACING CLUB LIMITED

22nd May, 1972
Mr. Sorab Mehta,
J. K. Building,
N. Morarjee Marg,
Ballard Estate, B0MBAY-1

Dear Sorab,

An editorial, has to be pushed out in the next magazine requesting members to put forward their suggestion as regards a name.

Yours sincerely, Sd/
Na sir Hoosein President.
Last date: 20th June, 1972 - Editor

RED & WHITE IN BLACK & WHITE

On Sunday 19th March, dawn broke over a scene of activity as the Esso Petrol Station, near Sachivalaya, as the last-minute touches were put to the start of the Red and White Vintage Car Rally, Spot on time the first vintage car rolled up at 5.50 a. m. to be registered 'in'- at which time the costumes, which were to correspond with the age of the car, were judged, however, the number of costumes was disappointing compared to the excellent turnout of curs.

After an examination of the individual card, by the marshals, owners and their autos moved off to await the offical cavalcade. Crowds estimated at somewhere in the region of 2,000 eagerly awaited the start of the rally. The cars were greeted with amused and eager enthusiasm as Vice-Admiral S. N. Kohli flagged off the first car. Thereafter at minute intervals the rest of the vintage cars moved off to cheers and loud applause.

Much sooner than expected possible, the vintage cars literally roared back to the sate Esso Station - the oldest cars having covered a distance of around 138.95 funs and the younger cars around 165.45 kms. Drivers and passengers in excellent spirits then awaited the outcome of their rallying. Competitors and cars had enjoyed an hour's break during the rally, for lunch at Raymond Woollen Mills, who were kind enough to permit their grounds to be used for rally purposes.

The prizes were presented at 6.00 p. r. by INS. P.L. Tandon, in the presence of the President and his wife - Mr. and Mrs. P. C. Belham, However, it was thought that if prior to the prize presentation the officials had lined up the winning cars separately much delay could lave been averted. For owners, on hearing their names announced, had to rush back to the parking positions (some double-parked) and this naturally caused long delays and murmurs among the patient crowds. It was, though, an extremely good idea to have the cars driven up to the presentation platform and thus give the crowds the opportunity once more to appreciate the cars and applaud the winners as they collected their silver trophies.

Special praise and attention must be lavished on car No. 10 - a brilliant yellow 1927 Chevrolet - driven by Mr. Prem Kumar Mehra all the way from Delhi at approximately 14 in. m.p. h, and arriving in good enough shape to walk off with three trophies:

The oldest car of the day, a superb 1914 Ford, driven by a justifiedly proud, Mr. Moti Advani, walked away with The Fibreglass Pilkington_ ? trophy for the car with the best maintained or restored body. This car and the 1927 Chevrolet, received the biggest round of applause.

And, then, by far the most elegant and romantic car of the day the awe inspiring 1935 Rolls Royce. A two-tone dream, in pale, coffee and cream without a murmur from the engine, looking for all the world as though this were a brand new car on its maiden voyage! Mr. H. H. Jetha, and his passengers had originally turned up dressed most appropriately for such a car. However, during the course of the rally the entourage changed into casual 1972 gear and so lost themselves another trophy: A shame. Mr. Arun Bhatia, who with his passenger won the costume prize, deserved his for suffering the ever-rising temperatures of the day, literally all 'dolled up'. Despite the 'bush shirt gear' of Mr. Jetha and his full car load, this "show stopper" not surprisingly, won the Esso Trophy for the most elegant car and the Concours 'D' Elegance.

Ms. Pesi Shroff driving his 1924 Bentley, a beautiful and much used model, won The Eagle Flash Trophy for the oldest car to complete the course within the specified time.

lastly, I should congratulate Mrs. Bapsy Guard who, in her 1929 Austin won The Air-India Trophy for the best performance by a lady driver. Next year with your example before them, more ladies will enter.

It was very gratifying to see so many cars in such a well maintained state. It made everyone so envious to see the owners' obvious pride in their 'hobby' cars that one feels like prowling around all likely and unlikely places in the hope of unearthing, purchasing and restoring such vehicles to their original splendour and joining in next years Vintage Rally. Such a car is on my wife's shopping list.

- A. L. Cole

Trophies:
1. THE RED ,'D WHITE 21 TROPHY for the best overall performance of the day (minimum penalty points): Car No.10, Mr. Prem Kumar Mehra in his 1927 Chevrolet.
2. TEE AIR-INDIA TROPHY for the best turnout of driver and passengers
in period costume - Car No. 27 Mr. Arun Bhatia, in his 1935 ,Austin 7. 3, 3. The BURMAH SHELL TROPHY for the best maintained car - Car No.33.
Mr. H.H. Jetha, in his 1935 Rolls Royce.
4. THE ESSO TROPHY for the most elegant car (Concours D'Elegance )
Car No.33, Mr. H. H. Jetha in his 1935 Rolls Royce
5. THE CASTROL TROPHY for the car driven the longest distance by road
to join the Rally - Car No. 10, Mr. Prem Kumar Mehra in his 1927 Chevrolet.
6. THE EAGLE FLASK TROPHY for the oldest car to complete the course within the specified time - Car No.3, Mr. Pesi J. Shroff in his 1924 Bentley.
7. THE FIBREGLASS PILKINGTON TROPHY for the car with the best maintained or restored body - Car No. 1. Mr. Moti Trivedi in his 1914 Ford.
8. The AIR-INDIA TROPHY for the best performance by a lady driver.
Mrs. Bapsy Guard in her 1929 Austin.
9. THE SPORTSWEEK TROPHY for the best performance in the Rally(cars upto 10 h. p.): Mr. Prem K. Mehra in his 1927 Chevrolet.
10. THE SEHNEY GROUP TROPHY for the best performance in the rally
( cars between 10 and 20 h. p.) MR. Shah in a 1927 standard

11. THE IARC TROPHY FOR the best performance in the rally( cars over 20 h. p.) Car NO. 33. Mr. H. H. Jetha in 1935 Rolls Royce.

We wish to thank the following members for their support as Marshalls
and Officials in the recently concluded Red & White Vintage Car Rally:

Mr. C. S. Ananth
Mr. & Mrs. Darayus Bhathena
Mr. Dinsha Cambata
Mr. Eric Cardmaster
Mr. & Mrs. A. L. Cole
Mr. P. Davar
Mr. Farrok Kaka
Mr. Ravi Kumar
Mr. Surendra M. Makadia
Mr. Adi Melgham
Mr. Mohan Mehra
Mr. Bomi S. Mehta
Mr. Roosy K. Mody
Mr. Suresh Naik
Mr. S. K. Ramachandran
Mr. Kishan Rao
Mr. S. Shroff
Mr. Ajayapt Singhania
Mr. A. J. Syrioti
Mr. Sam Variava
Ragtop is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 12:53   #199
BHPian

Thanks Amir. Your Dad must be having lots of material, both pictures and print. Would be nice if you could share.I can imagine these days you are pressed for time but after Cartier??
Old 8th January 2013, 20:57   #200
BHPian

We used to have a lot of material but almost all of it was lost in the 1986 floods when it was all stored in a trunk on the ground floor of our warehouse! All I have left is some files related specifically to our car.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:07   #201
BHPian

Some more. Much less time consuming to put up pictures knowing that there will be no trouble identifying the cars. Same event obviously.

Faster789's collection-img075.jpg

Faster789's collection-img076.jpg

Faster789's collection-img079.jpg

Faster789's collection-img081.jpg

Faster789's collection-img082.jpg

Faster789's collection-img083.jpg

To respond to Harit and Bulldogji, I am aware of the facts below with the exception of the broken ankle. Not sure how else to respond to "funny feeling"s other than to suggest Bulldogji's response.

Adding to Bulldogji's detailed post, the "ban" on export was not what was intended by the people who were instrumental in it coming to be. Yet another example of good intentions scuppered by incompetent legislators... All that was intended was that India's motoring heritage be identified and steps put in place to preserve it if possible. The blanket restrictions on freedom of movement of personal property was never intended.

The "Hanuman" car was inspired by the Can-Am race cars though I sincerely doubt it went anywhere near as well, not least of all with the engine back to front... Resemblance here:

Faster789's collection-1968_mclaren_m6b_restored_can_am_race_car_for_sale_1.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 22:07   #202
BHPian

that's sad. But perhaps dad can remember?? Anyone else in the family? On another topic, how is the beauty coming along? All our cars are stuck till yours gets completed, but I am not complaining. Your car deserves the best. I am looking forward to seeing her and hopefully glide in her soon.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:15   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Some more. Much less time consuming to put up pictures knowing that there will be no trouble identifying the cars. Same event obviously.

[Attachment 1035769

Attachment 1035770

Attachment 1035771

Is this the original color combination of the Phantom II ? If, not does anybody know what it was ? Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 8th January 2013 at 22:16.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:28   #204
BHPian

travancore, the car came in a two tone combo, a distinctive green and creamiest ivory. For Cartier she is being painted to match as far as possible the colours original to her. I have the shades with me as also a picture, much faded. personally , I don't like the green but the colours have to please the family and no one else.. The effort with which Amir and his team are going about it, well she will be a show stopper and although entered just for display, surely deserves some form of recognition. The Bundi rolls , now no longer in India sports the same colour combination, but somehow it suits that body style.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 22:42   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
travancore, the car came in a two tone combo, a distinctive green and creamiest ivory. For Cartier she is being painted to match as far as possible the colours original to her. I have the shades with me as also a picture, much faded. personally , I don't like the green but the colours have to please the family and no one else.. The effort with which Amir and his team are going about it, well she will be a show stopper and although entered just for display, surely deserves some form of recognition. The Bundi rolls , now no longer in India sports the same colour combination, but somehow it suits that body style.
Thanks Bulldogji; and thanks Amir for taking her back to what she was.

What threw me was this description from Post 198:

"And, then, by far the most elegant and romantic car of the day the awe inspiring 1935 Rolls Royce. A two-tone dream, in pale coffee and cream without a murmur from the engine,"

Could have been a typo

The "BUNDI" car these days seem to sport a darker / brighter Green

Last edited by travancore : 8th January 2013 at 23:02.
Old 8th January 2013, 23:11   #206
BHPian

Travancore, she was in fact coffee and cream, perhaps the next choice of colours was black over cream and now back in her original clothes. Amir would be the best source for this information and hopefully will confirm or correct. I know Ihad promised you pictures of the cowasjee( jungalwala) rolls, yet to dig it out. the Bundi rolls also is somewhere in my mess, will search and tell.Bundi had some fine cars, including the Rolls I mentioned which had a rather sporty body style. Rajasthan still has some fine cars, but the finest , yet to come out I believe are in UP. Off topic, but today two gentlemen informed me that I was the owner of an eight litre Bentley. if only wishes were horses, pigs would fly. I know of only two cars here, Pranlal's and Khan's. Both to the best of my knowledge are not for sale. I guess brokers will be brokers. One guy even offered my own Lancia to me after the last Cartier.
Old 8th January 2013, 23:26   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the two Jodhpur PII's

Chassis 15-RY "BUNDI"

Faster789's collection-jodhpur-rr-pii-15ry.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis 62-UK

Faster789's collection-jodhpur-rr-pii-62uk-original-colors-drawing.jpg

Note that the Sage (?) Green is only on the Wings & Body Swage lines in this drawing (not completely above waist line / roof / bonnet / boot as in picture below)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by travancore : 8th January 2013 at 23:47.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 09:50   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more. Much less time consuming to put up pictures knowing that there will be no trouble identifying the cars.
Image 1 is of course a Ford Model A 'Dicky seat' - possibly the same car today with Jasdanwalla collection, UPM regd? Or I believe there is also one in similar colour in Bombay, long term ownership, MRD regd. Or of course another car altogether...

In picture 2 we see the SS100 again, dash still appears more or less the same today. In picture three I think we see the Thakersey Bentley - never knew it was white at one point. Last I saw the car she was in silver and black, previous to that in bronze and black.

Pictures 4, 5 and 6 are of course the lovely Jetha Rolls. What a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here are the two Jodhpur PII's

Chassis 15-RY "BUNDI"

Chassis 62-UK
Never knew the 'Bundi' car had a Jodhpur connection - though the paint scheme now does make sense. Any more details/history on the Bundi car? If I remember right she even made the coveted 'Tin Tin' list.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:02   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Image 1 is of course a Ford Model A 'Dicky seat' - possibly the same car today with Jasdanwalla collection, UPM regd? Or I believe there is also one in similar colour in Bombay, long term ownership, MRD regd. Or of course another car altogether...............
The "A" Dicky seater is neither Jasdanwalla, nor MRD. Both exist and are different cars. This "A" was Parsi owned, and still is.
By sheer chance I got 2 photos of this dicky seater with 2 ladies around, probably photographed somewhere along one of the ends of Marine Drive looking at the background. And the first Parsi gent (he was not the original owner though) was a bachelor. There is a small story on its painted bumbers where I was involved, accidentaly I removed a bit of that paint with my car. Guess who

Bring them on, Faster789

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 9th January 2013 at 13:05.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:09   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more.... Same event obviously.
Possibly from 2 different events - see the dash of the Jag.

Faster789's collection-01.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks