Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 19:50   #151
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have been able to ascertain quite definitely that the tear drop Bentley did not go via Adenwalla. Anyone knows who owned it before Apte's? I was told that it was the Maharaja of Mysore.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, you seem to be quite insistent that the Adenwala Bentley and the Apte Bentley were one and the same. Why? Could their not have been two tear drops in Bombay? I do not know, but Adenwala had a tear drop. Mysore? Apte? or some other?
Bulldogji, you are correct to the best of my knowledge. I rarely like to say I am 100% sure with these things, but I am pretty sure.

My limited recollection is this:

Owned by Adenwalla. Later bought by AA. It's in the UK still owned by the family.

Coachbuilder either (sorry for not being sure) Gurney Nutting or James Young. A unique feature is a sliding bar behind the rear seat accessible through the folding arm rest. Ask to see it next time you're around the car.

Please remember Adenwalla had a lot of cars, some were his and some weren't. Some stayed for years, others didn't.

Harit, simplest thing is to speak to the family who should know. I believe you live not very far from them at all.

Last edited by Faster789 : 16th July 2012 at 20:00.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 20:45   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Bulldogji, you are correct to the best of my knowledge. I rarely like to say I am 100% sure with these things, but I am pretty sure.

My limited recollection is this:

Owned by Adenwalla. Later bought by AA. It's in the UK still owned by the family.
Here is "a" history of the car I had posted way back (Classic Bentleys Post # 77). I cannot verify the veracity of the story.

Interesting to note the "Britannia Biscuit" connection

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post896504

Faster789's collection-mysore-apte-bentley-history.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 16th July 2012 at 20:46.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 11:23   #153
BHPian

Karl, one tear drop was registered in the BY series, and If memory serves me right, the other was MRZ. Of course I am subject to correction. Is it possible that BY became MRZ at some point ? If Britannia claimed ownership at some point in time, could that be when she was with the Adenwala family? Maybe Julian, who is researching Bentleys , can shed some light.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:22   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, one tear drop was registered in the BY series, and If memory serves me right, the other was MRZ. Of course I am subject to correction. Is it possible that BY became MRZ at some point ? If Britannia claimed ownership at some point in time, could that be when she was with the Adenwala family? Maybe Julian, who is researching Bentleys , can shed some light.
Now that brings us to the question on what constitutes a 'Teardrop' Bentley. 2829 I think has a very rakish/stylish body, unlike other Mk 6s seen here. Many could call it 'Teardrop', I reserve judgement simply since I don't know any better. Harit strongly says that it is not 'Teardrop'.

The 2829 car and some information can be seen here in post #215. Interestingly the listing states the car was shown at Pebble Beach in 2000.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post1416046 (Classic Bentleys in India).

Either ways, it is certainly not the Apte car MRZ 7000. It is also unlikely that a Maharashtra/Bombay Presidency registered car would get a new MH number along the way, though not impossible.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:42   #155
Senior - BHPian

The MRZ 7000 car is for sure the Ex Mysore car, I have seen pictures of it earlier way back in one of the indian car nags. I guess it now bears the LPJ regestration and is cream and maroon.

The 2829 car appears to be an earlier one going by the free standing headlamps.

Interestingly it is also a "teardrop" so apparently there were two of them in India.

The other interesting thing is that here were said to have been two terdrops made, one for the Dockers and the other for Mysore and here we can see there are surely three of the type.

I always thought the Mysore car was bodied by Gurney Nutting but apparentlhy its not true.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:11   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

To make things a bit easier, here are the 2 cars together for comparison.

Faster789's collection-tear.jpg

BYH 2829 - ex Mysore, with Reporter in Bombay, taken to UK, sold there. Black, peacock blue/green.

MRZ 7000 - ex Mysore, with Apte in Bombay, taken to UK, probably still with them there. Now LPJ 116Y, cream and maroon.

Other interesting Mysore Bentley Mk VIs are -

BYH 2775 - ex Mysore, cream coloured convertible, with Jeejeebhoy family in Pune since the 1950s

MRX 8563 - ex Mysore, hard top, now Bhogilal, gold coloured?

MRJ 3371 - ex Mysore, now Poonawalla, silver and blue, earlier black.

Sorry for going off topic. Faster, time for you to share some more photos
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 15:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

Then which is this one
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-teardrop-mrz-7000.jpg  

Old 17th July 2012, 15:25   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Then which is this one
You yourself answered it here.

Quote:
The MRZ 7000 car is for sure the Ex Mysore car, I have seen pictures of it earlier way back in one of the indian car nags. I guess it now bears the LPJ regestration and is cream and maroon.
And I said it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
MRZ 7000 - ex Mysore, with Apte in Bombay, taken to UK, probably still with them there. Now LPJ 116Y, cream and maroon.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 15:34   #159
Senior - BHPian

LOL...so there are at least Three Teardrop Bentleys and two of them belonged to the Mysore Royal Family and both went to the UK ?
Old 17th July 2012, 19:37   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a Frt 3Q of MRZ-7000 posted earlier in the Bentley thread by Speedy. Looks like his Dad owned it briefly before Mr. Apte.

Faster789's collection-mysore-bentley-mrz7000.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, a frt 3Q view of BYH-2829 showing the side window. The window looks less "teardrop-ish". Thought this car is / was in the U.S.

Faster789's collection-mysore-bentley-byh2829.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 19:46   #161
Senior - BHPian

So the 2829 is in reality not a "teardrop" bu the Gurney Nutting Sedanca de Ville !

7000 was the actual and only "teardrop" out of the two made that actually came to India...the other having been the Docker "teardrop"

LOL.....so the confusion is over !

Now which of these was with the Adenwala family is the question, the "teardrop" or the Sedanca !
Old 17th July 2012, 21:21   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the 2829 is in reality not a "teardrop" bu the Gurney Nutting Sedanca de Ville !

7000 was the actual and only "teardrop" out of the two made that actually came to India...the other having been the Docker "teardrop"

LOL.....so the confusion is over !

Now which of these was with the Adenwala family is the question, the "teardrop" or the Sedanca !
Wasif,
I thought BYH-2829 (Chassis # B47EW) is a Hooper (not Gurney Nutting)
Old 18th July 2012, 10:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Wasif,
I thought BYH-2829 (Chassis # B47EW) is a Hooper (not Gurney Nutting)
The 'teardrop" pair was from Hooper. The Sedanca was mentioned as a G Nutting creation in a lot of publications, open to correction.

It has the classic Gurney Nutting flair anyway !
Old 25th July 2012, 15:09   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Adenwalla's (was there more than one tear drop MK VI?) Bentley tear drop was a beauty, could be seen on Walkeshwar from time to time. If memory serves me right, that car is abroad.
What was the colour of Adenwallas car seen in Walkeshwar? And he lived on Peddar Road, maybe you had seen Reporters Bentley which was housed on Ridge Road,

Quote:
....My limited recollection is this:Owned by Adenwalla. Later bought by AA. It's in the UK still owned by the family.....
Please remember Adenwalla had a lot of cars, some were his and some weren't.....
Harit, simplest thing is to speak to the family who should know. I believe you live not very far from them at all.
After reading posts, I remember the Britannia connection, it was talked about when I started attending rallies in the 1970's. If I remember correctly, Britannia had an expat boss, so the Bentley would have been suitable for him. MRZ registration would be of the first half of the 1960's when imports were already banned. An Amby may have been deemed unsuitable. Yes, Adenwalla had lots of cars, but most were thoroughbred vinatges. I will try to visit the previous owner sometime soon.
Apte did advertise the Bentley for sale in a magazine called The Automobile, I assumed that she was sold, but apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
......Interesting to note the "Britannia Biscuit" connection...
Yes, this post refreshed memory.

Quote:
.... Is it possible that BY became MRZ at some point ? If Britannia claimed ownership at some point in time, could that be when she was with the Adenwala family? Maybe Julian, who is researching Bentleys , can shed some light.
BYH would not become MRZ because these registrations are valid and of the same state. BYH would change if the car was to leave Maharashtra, sadly she left India!
And Julian is still keeping quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
To make things a bit easier, here are the 2 cars together for comparison.BYH 2829 - ex Mysore, with Reporter in Bombay, taken to UK, sold there. Black, peacock blue/green.

Other interesting Mysore Bentley Mk VIs are -

BYH 2775 - ex Mysore, cream coloured convertible, with Jeejeebhoy family in Pune since the 1950s

MRX 8563 - ex Mysore, hard top, now Bhogilal, gold coloured?

MRJ 3371 - ex Mysore, now Poonawalla, silver and blue, earlier black.

Sorry for going off topic. Faster, time for you to share some more photos
Here is another side view of that tear drop, self explanatory why she was called so, and why there was only one. Photo taken in 1970's by me.
In the list above, many Mysore MK VI Bentleys are missing, including our President's, VCCCI, not Fiat Club, RJD (something). That was also a Mysore car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-bentd.jpg  

harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 13:57   #165

My second post! What an amazing thread... A real education to read of the cars that were (some still are?) in India. Very interesting to read of the MKVI in London, I have my business not far from there and would love to see it. I deal with prestige British marques as part of my profession and it is wonderful to see so much of our heritage surviving abroad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks