Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 00:34   #106
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Bulldogji, Karl, etc - my apologies for not being able to "do requests" so to speak. I am quite pressed for time and get to the computer in spurts.

I have managed to dig out one "request" though. I will try to get to the others. The picture of the Type 44 in it's present state.

Faster789's collection-bugatti-07.jpg

A far cry from when it was pieced together on that lawn all those years ago. It was a "complete" car then as those of us who restore cars would say. All it was really missing in terms of important parts was the radiator. Perhaps you could attach the relevant picture below [here] Karl? The restoration looks ok.

Bulldogji, I have pictures of all those cars, the big question is where... I have so much stuff which have not seen the light of day for decades. My car related time is very much spent with newer stuff these days and next to none of the classics on this thread. I do keep my hand in from time to time and revisit old cars once in a while, both in India and abroad.

Last edited by Faster789 : 11th June 2012 at 00:35.
Faster789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 13:25   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Nope. The Batliboi Rolls was not the Baroda car.By way of academic interest, it was sold for two thousand rupees.
The Batliboi's were two brothers, and the brother who is no more started the car with my friends uncle, also a Parsi gent who is still around. This came from him. Unfortunately Batliboi has no photos available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
............ The picture of the Type 44 in it's present state. A far cry from when it was pieced together on that lawn all those years ago. It was a "complete" car then as those of us who restore cars would say. All it was really missing in terms of important parts was the radiator. Perhaps you could attach the relevant picture below [here] Karl? The restoration looks ok......
Here is that picture. As you may know, this was suposed to be the Adenwala/Khan/Mallya Bugatti. The plaster of the porch fell on it, hence so much damage. Did you ever visit the Adenwalla bungalow and see his cars?
The Mallya Bugatti is still missing some parts, its not yet drivable.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-malbug.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 13th June 2012 at 13:30.
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 13:38   #108
BHPian

Slight correction Harit.There were three batliboi brothers, two were bachelors, the third married and had four children, two sons and two daughters. One son died of kidney failure, one daughter died of cancer. Now one son in his eighties and his younger sister survive. The son who died of kidney failure, { brother of the two mentioned above} had two children. A son and a daughter, she being the first BMW trained and qualified , I am told, Bike mechanic in india . Can be often seen riding bikes the size of which may make many men cringe.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:37   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Slight correction Harit.There were three batliboi brothers, two were bachelors, the third married and had four children, two sons(=two brothers) and two daughters. One son died of kidney failure, one daughter died of cancer. Now one son in his eighties and his younger sister survive. The son who died of kidney failure, { brother of the two mentioned above} had two children. A son and a daughter, she being the first BMW trained and qualified , I am told, Bike mechanic in india . Can be often seen riding bikes the size of which may make many men cringe.
That what I said, don't go too far back in generations. You are referring to the generation which may have bought and used the car, the generation I am refering to are those who took it out of the shed, started it and then parted with it.

Back to the topic, Faster, in your set of pictures there is that lovely car with the Boa Constrictor horn. Is there any chance that you may remember that car, where it came from? After racking my brains(whatever little is left) I think that is the car which resided in Worli. Not sure though, so not disclosing my guess.

Cheers harit
Old 25th June 2012, 18:25   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Back to the topic, Faster, in your set of pictures there is that lovely car with the Boa Constrictor horn. Is there any chance that you may remember that car, where it came from? ....Cheers harit
Quote:
......Here is that picture. As you may know, this was suposed to be the Adenwala/Khan/Mallya Bugatti. The plaster of the porch fell on it, hence so much damage. Did you ever visit the Adenwalla bungalow and see his cars?.....Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Lets attempt an ID on the big Veteran with the Boa Constrictor horn please and figure out what happened to it.

Where is that Mercedes 320 now by the way......such a handsome car ....one could easily mistake it for a 500/540K
Quote:
......The Rolls with the Lanchester was probably a Silver Ghost tourer, silver in colour, both cars owned by a lady. Her husband who had passed away was extremely fond of these cars. No further clues as yet.......Cheers harit
Quote:
.........Generally, Faster has covered two old events in Mumbai of around 1970 and 1973. The very first rally which I attended was this in 1970/71 at HP house opposite LIC, near the pump and Mantralaya. ............Faster, your pictures are great. You surely have more, I would love to see them and go back in a time machine to yonder and recall my experiences when I was just getting into the scene. Great, lets have some more Cheers harit
Updating the above, all quoted from my posts, keeping the sequence as above:

Car with Boa Constrictor horn is a Wolseley. Belonged to a Bohri gent, now with Mallya.

Awaiting a comment from Faster about the Adenwalla bungalow cars. It seems that there also was a Cord in the bungalow.

Wasif, car identified as a Wolseley. Mercedes is with Choudhurie in Delhi

Lanchester is likely to have gone to Delhi, I cannot confirm this as yet. The Rolls was a 20HP, not Silver Ghost, probably with a collector in Mumbai.

I have been told that some pictures are from the very first event in 1968 where the Lanchester of Prapgarh won. The next event was in 1972/73.

And Faster, any more pictures?

The car that really baffels me is that Hotchkiss saloon.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 18:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what model and year is the wolsley. Has it been restored as yet , any newer pictures of it ?
Old 26th June 2012, 21:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Awaiting a comment from Faster about the Adenwalla bungalow cars. It seems that there also was a Cord in the bungalow.
Referred to by some as the "Curator", he had a number of cars, many of which lay strewn around the bungalow. He had a Cord and many better cars including those well know to this forum e.g. the Malya Bugatti, the Khan 8 litre as well as a fabulous V shape dashboard Silver Ghost (does anyone know what happened to the Rolls?). I think he also had the sister car to the Pratabgarh Lanchester in fact. He was a well healed Parsi gent that loved to use his motorcycle to get around.

Quote:
And Faster, any more pictures?
Lots of pictures but not enough time to go through them all, choose the right ones, scan them and upload them.

Last edited by Faster789 : 26th June 2012 at 21:19.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:38   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He had a Cord and many better cars including those well know to this forum.

He was a well healed Parsi gent that loved to use his motorcycle to get around.
Anything further you can share on the Cord? Is it alive and well? My father always remembers a white Cord in Pune, as does old man Dass at Dass Auto (my friend clarified and asked him - "Ford?" He said "no, Cord. Slightly more expensive!"). He also recalls possibly seeing it in a Bungalow as late as the 1990s on Nagar Road.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Anything further you can share on the Cord? Is it alive and well? My father always remembers a white Cord in Pune, as does old man Dass at Dass Auto (my friend clarified and asked him - "Ford?" He said "no, Cord. Slightly more expensive!"). He also recalls possibly seeing it in a Bungalow as late as the 1990s on Nagar Road.
Maybe this is the Cord in Indore now for restoration ?

Was it one of those coffin nose jobs ?
Old 27th June 2012, 10:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
did it come from Delhi? i remember a derelict coffin nose that we used to play in. it was around till the early 80s i think.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Referred to by some as the "Curator", he had a number of cars, many of which lay strewn around the bungalow....Lots of pictures but ....
Thanks, I did not know that Adenwalla was also called the curator.
What did the sister car to the Prabgarh look like? It must have been a hard top, and maybe the lost Lanchester which you posted before?
Did Adenwalla own that Delage which went to Swadi on to Sanghi? Did the Rony Khan Invicta also come from here?
And, that Cord was not his, it was only parked there.
Awaiting more pictures from you, to stimulate memories.

Quote:
Anything further you can share on the Cord? Is it alive and well? My father always remembers a white Cord in Pune,....
Cord was pale blue in colour, rotted into the ground, some parts were removed and taken to Australia. There were supposed to have been two Cords, both in Mumbai and belonging to a Rajasthan royal family. They were not supercharged. The Cord later belonged to a Parsi gent who migrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Maybe this is the Cord in Indore....
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
did it come from Delhi? i remember a derelict coffin nose that we used to play in. it was around till the early 80s i think.
The Indore Cord is probably the only supercharged coffin nosed car left in India, Delhi (you may find Awini's fingerprints in it, belonged to a lawyer) went to Ahmedabad and then to Indore. Maybe will come to Cartier show. These cars travelled a lot even though they were not working.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 27th June 2012 at 11:46.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 13:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I did not know that Adenwalla was also called the curator.
Yup.

Quote:
What did the sister car to the Prabgarh look like? It must have been a hard top, and maybe the lost Lanchester which you posted before?
Two tone and a hardtop I think.

Quote:
Did Adenwalla own that Delage which went to Swadi on to Sanghi? Did the Rony Khan Invicta also come from here?
And, that Cord was not his, it was only parked there.
I think he may have had a Delage (never been a fan), but I think I would be distracted by the Bentley and Rolls and not really have taken much notice. Invicta, Bentley, Cord, Bullnose Cowley, Silver Ghost, Type 44 were all his. I am not aware of the Cord belonging to anyone else, but just because that was not mentioned to me doesn't mean Harit is not correct. p.s. Spelling is "Roni", as I know from happy hours in the Invicta.

Quote:
Cord was pale blue in colour
I recall it being white, or perhaps that was the interior?

Just noticed that my "thanks" to post ratio is healthy. A nice little feature and thank you all for the appreciation.
Faster789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 14:20   #118
Senior - BHPian

LOL...Dear Faster ....now if you were to make some time to scan and post a few more batches of pictures I can assure you your "Thanks" to post ratio will go thru the roof !

Please do post a new batch !

Last edited by wasif : 27th June 2012 at 14:21.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just noticed that my "thanks" to post ratio is healthy. A nice little feature and thank you all for the appreciation.
Hint taken, yes you are right to imply posting the word thanks and clicking on the button have two different implications.
Do you think that the Lanchester posted by you is this ex-Adenwalla? That was also 2 tone, but probably 6 cylinder.
The Cord was pale blue.
Do you know when did Adenwalla diband his collection? And nice to know that the Bullnose Morris was his. Wonder where that is now, Pranlals came from Chennai.

Cheers harit
Old 27th June 2012, 15:02   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know when did Adenwalla diband his collection? And nice to know that the Bullnose Morris was his. Wonder where that is now, Pranlals came from Chennai.
The collection was mostly liberated after his death, certainly the better cars were sold then (for not much). The Bullnose was his (does the Pranlal collection have two now?), I've seen Pranlal's in M'war many years ago along with the AC (which again, was a former Roni Khan car I think). I had a drive in an 20/25 RR there too, truly the real silent sports car in my opinion even on those terrible road surfaces.

Can't help much further with Lanchester, this is very old knowledge. Again, it was a car that didn't hold much interest for me.

The reaction to the "thanks" bit has made me chuckle. I think the posts I started this thread with were put on before the feature even existed!

Wasif, I will try and find the time to put some more India related stuff up, though I also have others of concours and collections visited abroad.

Last edited by Faster789 : 27th June 2012 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks