Faster789's collection-scan12.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan13.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan14.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan15.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 13:17   #272
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Gosh, Faster you are flooding our senses with these exquisite pictures. What a treasure trove you have, thanks for sharing.

Cartier should have had a section for such priceless photographs. It would have added to the beauty of the exhibits.

Maybe you could consider lending them for a display in Bombay?? Currently there is a display of photos of neglected cars being exhibited at a gallery in South Bombay which attracted lots of footfalls.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:42   #273
BHPian

My pleasure Bulldogji.

I am happy to see that our youthful efforts are being appreciated some 50 years later. I have been somewhat distracted of late, but I will try to complete putting the collection (what I have found thus far) online this year. I am happy to see that I really don't need to introduce the pictures anymore, but I will contribute in text if I have a different opinion or if I have anything to add.

I also have what I (misguidedly I am sure) consider to be somewhat historic correspondence, but I am not convinced that this needs to be in the public domain.

I was sorry to see that the Cartier event looked very uninspiring. Lots of very average stuff... I think there are next to no cars that have not been displayed now and the organisers are running out of cars of a particular level and quality. Lots of mutton dressed as lamb from the limited pictures I have seen.
Faster789 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 18:24   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
.........Is it possible that the car was rebodied to the tourer we see in Faster's collection ?
I doubt that these are the same Alfa's just rebodied. Normally the radiator shell would remain unchanged. But on one occasion we have a changed car, the Hotchkiss where there is no clarity about the different radiator shells which that car appears to have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
...What a treasure trove you have, thanks for sharing. Cartier should have had a section for such priceless photographs. It would have added to the beauty of the exhibits........
I had the same idea for Cartier 2008 and got a few photographs blown up and mounted. These were placed in the judges tent. I was told to bill them, did not, it was my return gift to them for the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
My pleasure Bulldogji....... I also have what I (misguidedly I am sure) consider to be somewhat historic correspondence, but I am not convinced that this needs to be in the public domain. I was sorry to see that the Cartier event looked very uninspiring. Lots of very average stuff... I think there are next to no cars that have not been displayed now and the organisers are running out of cars of a particular level and quality. Lots of mutton dressed as lamb from the limited pictures I have seen.
I would love to see that correspondence, we will always learn something from that. Please figure out a way to share, on your terms. Your comments about Cartier cars on display, well in my opinion the quality has been going down every year, I see that looking at the cars which are superb but not invited for a flimsy or no reason. The basic idea is to have designated winners and the rest of the cars are just to fill empty spaces. Cartier's event rules are flexible, applicable to differently to select cars, the main criteria being the owner.

Going back to the photos posted before, that Holkar Bentley seems to have vanished, the curator of Cartier should be able to say where it is. I am putting below another photo of the Tirwa Rolls from the same period. They did use the car a lot in those days. Tirwa was a stalward in the vintage car movement in those times.

I am also posting another photo of the same Rolls taken at the same location with the same lady. There is a date at the back of the photo, 13th November 1930. Who is this lady, I have so many photographs of her with some nice cars.

Over to you Faster!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-tirwa.jpg  

Faster789's collection-rol.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 20th March 2015 at 18:27.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 19:58   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

The mystery PII. The first picture with the camel is the Baroda car, 70WJ.

Make your own conclusions - they are almost identical.

Faster789's collection-baroda-rr-pii-70wj-x6551-camel2.jpg

Faster789's collection-rr-pii-x7998.jpg
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 11:38   #276
BHPian

Harit, subject to correction, I think the Holkar Bentley made an apperance under Sanghi ownership .
Old 21st March 2015, 22:30   #277
BHPian

Faster789's collection-scan17.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan24.jpg

Scan32.pdf

I suspect there will be some repetition in my shots at some point. Apologies in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-capture.jpg  

Faster789 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:51   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1351714

Attachment 1351715

Attachment 1351716

I suspect there will be some repetition in my shots at some point. Apologies in advance.

Lagonda is the one seen recently at Cartier while the RR MPET looks like it's taken outside Sanghi a motors in INDORE

The advert of cars posted is truly superb !

Thanks

Cheers
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:20   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

MPET/310/A is the ex-Kolhapur RR PIII Chassis 3BU134.

The For Sale cars obviously look like the Alwar Hispano Suiza H6B, The Rewa RR PII 86XJ, the Gondal Lanchester and the Rewa Lanchester.

Faster, cannot than you enough for these gems!!!!
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 18:42   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mystery PII. The first picture with the camel is the Baroda car, 70WJ. Make your own conclusions - they are almost identical.
I do not believe that these are the same cars. They have different registrations, not too far apart, tyres are different, no wheel cap on one, and decisive for me is the absence of stepneys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, subject to correction, I think the Holkar Bentley made an apperance under Sanghi ownership .
You are subject to correction. This Bentley indeed made an appearance at the Sanghi workshop, where some workers worked on it under supervision, but it was not under ownership. Sanghi has the Rewa Bentley, which was at the Cartier's, maybe you are confusing? It was exchanged for an SUV and was seen in an Embassy in Delhi. Registration was also changed. I believe that the SUV met with an accident.

Quote:
....I suspect there will be some repetition in my shots at some point. Apologies in advance.
Quote:
MPET/310/A is the ex-Kolhapur RR PIII Chassis 3BU134. The For Sale cars obviously look like the Alwar Hispano Suiza H6B, The Rewa RR PII 86XJ, the Gondal Lanchester and the Rewa Lanchester..... Faster, cannot than you enough for these gems!!!!
The Lagonda is seen here at an event for which the owners brought her to Bombay, maybe along with their second Lagonda also. Such a smart car, in my opinion she should be repainted. Originality can't be maintained with so much paint flaked off. It is so elegant, regal, royalty should always be well dressed. When not, it can be scandalous . Just my opinion.

Kohlapur Rolls was present at Retromobile last year. Here is another photo, slightly blurred. MPET is a temporary number assigned to the car, "T" = temporary confirmed by the presence of the "A".

Faster789's collection-rrmpet.jpg

The advertisement is very interesting, are all but one car exported? How come the Gondal car remained in India? I have the identical photo of the Rewa Lanchester, believed to be now in Germany. SO this dealer may have been a part of the vinatge car circle of that time?

The set of photos which I received came from north India. Apparently there was an active networking among enthusiasts as far back as late 1960's and photographs were shared. Faster's source was one of them, an enthusiast from Bombay who was deep into these cars. In those days photography was more expensive and cumbersome.

In earlier posts a Lancia BMX 5 was seen, I could not find the picture of that car, but I could find another one, it is not among those currently known. I feel that this is the right thread to show this photo. Slightly blurred as scanner not available.

Faster789's collection-lambda.jpg

Needless to say, but never the less, I endorse travancore, Faster's pics are gems.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 24th March 2015 at 18:49.
harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 19:52   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I do not believe that these are the same cars. They have different registrations, not too far apart, tyres are different, no wheel cap on one, and decisive for me is the absence of stepneys.

You are subject to correction. This Bentley indeed made an appearance at the Sanghi workshop, where some workers worked on it under supervision, but it was not under ownership. Sanghi has the Rewa Bentley, which was at the Cartier's, maybe you are confusing? It was exchanged for an SUV and was seen in an Embassy in Delhi. Registration was also changed. I believe that the SUV met with an accident.
One key difference between the two Phantom II's is that X-6551 (Baroda 70WJ) has the spare on the near side (left). The other car, X-7998 has it on the off side.

I have a hypothesis that X-7998 may be the Bikanir car (91XJ) - with a modified (vertical) windshield. There are way too many similarities between the two cars. The Bikanir car also had a second rear mounted spare. I have not seen the rear of X-7998.

The Sanghi Bentley should be ex-Rampur, not Rewa. Unless it went to Rewa later.

Last edited by travancore : 24th March 2015 at 19:54.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:23   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One key difference between the two Phantom II's is that X-6551 (Baroda 70WJ) has the spare on the near side (left). The other car, X-7998 has it on the off side.

I have a hypothesis that X-7998 may be the Bikanir car (91XJ) - with a modified (vertical) windshield. There are way too many similarities between the two cars. The Bikanir car also had a second rear mounted spare. I have not seen the rear of X-7998.

The Sanghi Bentley should be ex-Rampur, not Rewa. Unless it went to Rewa later.

Travancore its ex rampur gurney nutting coach work

The Holkar bentley was with Mr SIngh and not Mr Sanghi, I think for getting done. It belonged to Rrichard Holkar and moved to Delhi I heard last then did a Houdini in the air and has since been in hiding. Suspect overseas

On the rolls I think Tavancores deduction is quite accurate

Cheers
Old 25th March 2015, 03:17   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Faster, cannot than you enough for these gems!!!!
Thank you Travancore. My pleasure and here are a couple more.

Faster789's collection-scan200002.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan34.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan180001.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan190002.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan200001.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 03:32   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

BUgatti, 1939. Now, my notes say "last series supercharged 8 cyl with special body by de Villiers." I have my doubts though. I seem to recall a royal Talbot Lago? Probably a Bugatti but not 100% on this one.
Dear Faster,

I cannot handle your surprises (pleasant.....and keep them coming please!) any more, so decided to dig up an old post.

Here is what the Bugatti Trust has to say about that mystery car. It may have been in India until the 1960s.

Faster789's collection-bugatti-india-4424du75-tbhp1.jpg

Faster789's collection-bugatti-india-4424du75-tbhp2.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:55   #285
BHPian

The early car looks like the Chowdhrie 1906 Rover, now fully restored and with correct mudguards
awini is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks