Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 19:27   #3586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Seen this (1960 ??) Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse rotting in Kherwadi, Bandra; exactly opposite to main entrance of Government Polytechnic today morning. The car is in very bad shape, especially body which has started rusting & the interiors as well as exterior fittings have been in very bad shape.
Have been seeing this car for more than a year, possibly its been there before that too. It car is attached to some garage nearby I am told.

Hrishikesh, keep your eyes open, opposite there is a Beetle and Baywindow belonging to BHPians
Old 14th February 2011, 13:50   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Saw this in MP (Panna), during my visit in March. Its Some Opel Model, not sure which one.
Have managed to restore one of these. I need a steering. Any idea if this car still has the orignal one?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_1319.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 15:52. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 14th February 2011, 19:05   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Wrong Thread Manish. This thread is not about restored cars.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:18   #3589

It was a pain to see this beauty left to disintegrate. I guess it is still lying there. Location: Trivandrum, Kerala.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-200811153461.jpg
Old 15th February 2011, 18:35   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wrong Thread Manish. This thread is not about restored cars.
I know but my post is related to a similar junked car in this thread posted by sam003. Was wondering if i could salvage some parts from that car. Pls move the post if you think it does not belong here.
Old 15th February 2011, 19:23   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomaverick View Post
It was a pain to see this beauty left to disintegrate. I guess it is still lying there. Location: Trivandrum, Kerala.
Attachment 502461
with you .But it is no longer there.The location was opposite Vidyuth bhavan (head office of Kerala state Electricity Board).It was lying there unattended along with the building.About 2 years ago One fine morning the car was not there and the building was cleaned up and given a minor facelift.No idea where the car went
Old 15th February 2011, 19:46   #3592
BHPian

Saw this Vaxhuall from the 1950s last year in the yard between Forum and Reliance. They were taking it away. Some middle - aged man there told me he would be restoring and selling it. He asked me if I was interested in buying too.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-021020101613.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-021020101614.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-021020101616.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-021020101620.jpg  

Old 15th February 2011, 19:51   #3593
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Saw this Vaxhuall from the 1950s last year in the yard between Forum and Reliance. They were taking it away. Some middle - aged man there told me he would be restoring and selling it. He asked me if I was interested in buying too.
This car was there for very long time. It lost(or stored) the prized fluted bonnet some time back. MYV is a Bangalore registration of the early 1970's means that this car came to Bangalore from outside.

At least some one will work on what is left in this car!

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 15th February 2011 at 19:52. Reason: correction
Old 17th February 2011, 15:30   #3594
Team-BHP Support

NOTE : Some recent pics from this thread have been moved to a more appropriate thread here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...e-pics-37.html

Thanks,
R
Old 18th February 2011, 22:47   #3595
Distinguished - BHPian

The old Willys Station Wagon is quite famous and was a tough workhorse of its times. The 4x4 version was like any Willys jeep (there was no 2WD jeep then) and was tougher that many SUV's of today.
Many of us may not know but the fact is that Mahindra and Mahindra mated the Hurricane engine (petrol) and gearbox and made it available with this Station Wagon body introduced sometime in 1978. It was the second coming for the Willys kind of Station Wagon. The body was a bit crude here and was not like the old American one.
This is one example in its original two tone paint.
I believe I have written about this kind of Mahindra in some earlier posts.
These never came with a diesel (though the MD 2350 International Harvester engine was a star diesel engine of the 1970's) and only a few units were sold. The model was soon made to call it quits!
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wagon.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th February 2011 at 22:48.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:44   #3596
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The 4x4 version was like any Willys jeep (there was no 2WD jeep then).
Original Two-wheel-drive Jeeps from 1955 to 1982
The Willys DJ-3A Dispatcher (1955–1964) was a two wheel drive version of the CJ-3A, designed for lighter-duty work not requiring 4x4.

There was even a version made in 1959 called Jeep "Surrey" a.k.a. "Gala". These 2WD Jeeps came in pink or cyan or green, with matching rosepink+coralpink or cyan+white or green+white striped canvas tops.

The next one was the Willys DJ-5 "Dispatcher 100" (1965–1967), a two wheel drive version of the CJ-5.

US Mail Jeeps
The white post office Jeeps in the USA, Willys DJ-5A (1968–1970), were DJ-5 with a hardtop body and right hand drive, so that the postman could drive up to the mailbox and deliver the mail. From 1970-76 the postal 2WD Jeep got a 6-cylinder engine. In 1976, it was powered by a silent electric motor and batteries and called the DJ-5E Electruck. In 1979 they were made with a Volkswagen 2 litre engine and the final model DJ-5L was made in 1982 with a Pontiac 4 cylinder 2.5 litre engine. So much for original US-made two wheel drive Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Many of us may not know but the fact is that Mahindra and Mahindra mated the Hurricane engine (petrol) and gearbox and made it available with this Station Wagon body introduced sometime in 1978.
It was the second coming for the Willys kind of Station Wagon. The body was a bit crude here and was not like the old American one.
The Willys Station Wagon was discontinued in 1965.

anjan_c2007, maybe you're refering to the Mahindra Town-&-Country Wagonette. That ugly contraption was a CJ-3B based long-wheelbase metal body station wagon.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the Willys Jeep Station Wagon. The Willys wagon was the world's first mass-market all-steel (as in non-woodie) SUV. It was designed in 1946 by Brooks Stevens and made until 1965.

From 1946 onwards it had the L4/134 Go Devil engine which we're familiar with from the World war two, Willys MB military Jeep. However, in 1950 it got the F-134 Hurricane engine. This engine was in the Willys Wagon until 1965.

My uncle had such a Willys right-hand-drive wagon with chrome hubcaps and white-wall tires in Bhopal in 1971. It was white and very sparingly used. It was cleaned and polished more than it was driven.
We in the family used to call it "white elephant". I remember that all OEM Willys rubber matting was complete, clean and unworn.

It had a white bakelite two spoke steering wheel with a black boss defined by bright rings and in the centre was Willys big curvy "W" logo.

The same logo was on the chrome bonnet ornament, and embellished in red on the chrome hubcaps.

I distinctly remember the unusual goose neck pedals with circular rubber pads with a concentric ring pattern. There was a characteristic Willys wagon interior odor that still lurks in memories.

Ram
Old 19th February 2011, 17:25   #3597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My uncle had such a Willys right-hand-drive wagon with chrome hubcaps and white-wall tires in Bhopal in 1971. It was white and very sparingly used. It was cleaned and polished more than it was driven.
We in the family used to call it "white elephant". I remember that all OEM Willys rubber matting was complete, clean and unworn.
Ram, sorry for going but was this the same uncle who, you mentioned, had a Litchfield Green Standard Companion (MPB 8?22) back in the 60s?
I remember you mentioning he was based in Bhopal/MP too.
Old 19th February 2011, 19:15   #3598
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram the Station wagon I am referring is a Indian version of the old one. I have used this one featured here during its hey days and its different from any CJ 3A,B,4A and so on. The chassis used by Mahindra is the same one used in older Station Wagons, though the body is Indian made and designed.
Its different and hence I have specifically mentioned that many may not be aware of the fact that M&M introduced this version for a short period in 1978.
I am not sure as to why they did not introduce the MD2350 diesel with this model but the Hurricane.
Old 19th February 2011, 19:17   #3599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

It had a white bakelite two spoke steering wheel with a black boss defined by bright rings and in the centre was Willys big curvy "W" logo.

The same logo was on the chrome bonnet ornament, and embellished in red on the chrome hubcaps.

I distinctly remember the unusual goose neck pedals with circular rubber pads with a concentric ring pattern. There was a characteristic Willys wagon interior odor that still lurks in memories.

Ram
Ram,

It shows your passion towards this vintage beauties, I was amazed when you posted the drawing remembering the original look of the Wagon interior. Ok, here is the original version picture which is a exact match to you sketch.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image228.jpg

Whatever you have mentioned about this boy is been discussed in the page below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...what-jeep.html
Old 19th February 2011, 21:10   #3600
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ram, sorry for going but was this the same uncle who, you mentioned, had a Litchfield Green Standard Companion (MPB 8?22) back in the 60s?
I remember you mentioning he was based in Bhopal/MP too.
Yes, Stanher, it is the very same uncle. While we're offtopic. Here's a patch of history.

In 1962, my uncle was transferred to the Secretariat at Bhopal as Under Secretary, General Admin. Dept., Govt. of MP.

It was in Oct/Nov 1962 that China attacked us in Ladakh and across the McMahon Line. They captured and retained Aksai Chin and controlled Tibet except Tawang and the area S. of McMahon Line which we call Arunachal Pradesh.

I learned to drive a Willys CJ-2A at this uncle's residence in Betul, while he was the District Collector from 1965 to 1967.

During Aug. 1965, the Indo-Pak war broke out and cease fire was declared on 23rd Sep. In Jan 1966, P.M. Lal Bahadur Shastri signed the Tashkent declaration and died the very next day in Tashkent.

One week later, a USAF B-52 bomber collided with its KC-135 tanker at 31,000 ft. and dumped four B28RI nuclear bombs. 3 were recovered on land in Spain and one was recovered from the Mediterranean Sea after a 2½-month-long search.

One more week later, an Air-India Boeing 707 crashed on Mont Blanc, killing all 117 aboard including Dr. Homi Bhabha. That very day, Indira Gandhi became first woman PM, lasting as PM until the end of the Emergency in 1977.

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks