Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 17:38   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Moved from the city of Charminara to that of Qutab Minar? Could we call this the Packard Advocatus then?
that's a good one

Further Hyderabad has a 1938 Packard Super Eight Convertible Sedan, Sixteenth series, Body type 1143, wb 139 inches of which unfortunately I have no pictures.

The car sadly, during its life here, was dieselised and the original engine may have been scrapped. Subsequently the owners sourced a Dodge engine so it has a six cylinder petrol under that massive bonnet. You could actually strap an additional horse between the radiator and the engine If someone wishes to see what this spectacular automobile looks like I can source a picture off the net and post here for viewing pleasure

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 17:47.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Further Hyderabad has a 1938 Packard Super Eight Convertible Sedan, Sixteenth series, Body type 1143, wb 139 inches of which unfortunately I have no pictures.

The car sadly, during its life here, was dieselised and the original engine may have been scrapped. Subsequently the owners sourced a Dodge engine so it has a six cylinder petrol under that massive bonnet. You could actually strap an additional horse between the radiator and the engine If someone wishes to see what this spectacular automobile looks like I can source a picture off the net and post here for viewing pleasure
Was this NTR's car, or did Hyderabad have two dieselised Packards? And where is NTR's car today? Does the family still own it? Just curious.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Was this NTR's car, or did Hyderabad have two dieselised Packards? And where is NTR's car today? Does the family still own it? Just curious.
I vaguely remember reading an interview where NTR's wife (?) was complaining about his possessions being grabbed by others, including the Packard.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the Packards from the Bhogilal collection.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/909438-post83.html
Old 12th March 2009, 21:16   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yes it is Harit. This car originally was bought new by Nawab Dawood Jung a connoiseur of fine cars. NTR bought this car from a son in law of the Nawab and eventually put a diesel into it.

Nawab Dawood Jung had the habit of driving every evening to the Tank Bund where this magnificent Packard would be parked top down as the Nawab sat in the back seat savouring a peg or two. The car was originally in cream with the radiator shell chrome plated (original from Packard like the Gwalior car). The Nawab later built a pavilion on tank bund which is known as the Dawood Jung pavilion. He was a close friend of my great grandfather and Dad knew him well. Dad used to say every morning the Nawab would seat himself in front of the garages as his Packard, Buick and Rolls Royce would be cleaned and he'd inspect things personally.

Rather interestingly like Raja Dhanrajgirji and Raja Pratapgirji the Nawab too prefered his Packard over the Rolls or any other car (all three had Rolls' in their garages but used Packards more often)

I am not suprised

I last saw the Dawood Jung Packard onroad as a kid when I was still in school, meaning some 35 years ago. The last I saw the car was in the 80's when it was repainted a lovely green and was kept at the Ramkrishna theatre complex.

It remains with one of NTR's sons. I believe it is part of the trust that holds the studio. Pity no one ever uses the car. The 1938 Super Eight is one impressive beast.

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 21:22.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:46   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A lovely 1942 Packard 160 formerly Maharajah Kolhapur's. I saw this car when it was with the Poona collector.

Name:  car1.jpg
Views: 5707
Size:  25.1 KB

Packards in India-car2.jpg

Packards in India-car5.jpg

1942 was the last of the classic styled Packard. In the same year Packard had introduced the more streamlined Clipper series which bore the styling genious of Howard "Dutch" Darrin. Although Darrin was not too pleased with Packard watering down his design, the Clippers have a charm of their own.

Nearing the end of '42 Packard plunged into the war effort making the famous Liberty V12 engines. The factory was used fulltime for the war effort until end 1945. The 42 Clipper resurfaced in 1946.

The Russian aristocracy were huge fans of Packards. Czar Nicholas was known to own several impressive Packards. After the war the Russians persuaded America (FDR?) to part with the dies of the 42 classic Packards. These were to be the basis for the Zis cars in Russia, almost identical to the 42 Packard.
Old 12th March 2009, 22:33   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If I recall correctly the Maharajah of Porbandar had an American wife which explains in part their fascination for Packards. I have seen the interiors of the Porbandar Palace to know the Maharani's fascination for pastel shades especially pink.

It has been recorded that one of the most extravagant Packards ordered was a white Limousine in 1930 which apparently had an interior custom done to match the shade of pink on the Maharani's bedroom slipper !! White apparently was one of the most unusual colours in the 30's and hence this car really stood out.

It didn't end there. The couple seemed to have also ordered a spectacular 1931 Packard 840 Deluxe Eight Touring again in white !! Will hunt out the picture and post it here.

The car survives albeit in a very sad state. The owner dreams of taking his baraat out in this car once he finishes it ! I offered him my Limo in exchange so he needn't wait that long

Packards in India-mvc873f_2_2.jpg

A 1940 Packard 110 (six cylinders) Convertible Coupe, Eighteenth series, body style 1389

Packards in India-packard1941.jpg

A 1938 Packard Six Touring Sedan, Sixteenth series, body style 1182

Packards in India-packard_20194.jpg

Name:  untitled_2_2.bmp
Views: 5624
Size:  960.1 KB

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 22:46.
Old 12th March 2009, 22:50   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's a shot of that magnificent 1931 Packard 840 Deluxe Eight Touring in its glorious days in use by the Maharajah of Porbandar, seen stepping out.

picture courtesy BHPian SAT posted in Nostalgia thread
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2009, 09:49   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thought it would be a visual treat to post the Packards in Mr. Bhogilal's collection directly into this thread. There's one other Packard he has not displayed at the museum. A few corrections to the nomenclature have been made

1931 Packard 840. I couldn't measure the wheelbase or take a look at the plate but I feel the car is identical to the Porbandar Packard and possibly a 840 Deluxe Eight Touring

1938 Packard Six (110) Touring Sedan, Sixteenth series, body no. 1182. I don't recall ever seeing the wheel slat covers as a original Packard accessory. I could be wrong though.

1940 Packard 110 Touring Sedan, Eighteenth series, Body no. 1382

While I couldn't get a closer look at the car, from the bumpers the car appears to be a 1940 Packard 110 (Six)Convertible Coupe, Eighteenth series, Body no. 1389

1937 Packard 120C Convertible Sedan, Fifteenth series, Body no. 1097

Last edited by DKG : 13th March 2009 at 09:51.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:08   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The ivory car is a 1940 Packard 160 Limousine, Eighteenth Series, Body no. 1370, riding on a massive 148 in wheelbase.

A lovely 1931 Packard Standard Eight. Will confirm its full nomenclature when I get an opportunity to see the car again

The owner of these two Packards also has a 1941 Packard Super Eight (160) Convertible Sedan, Nineteenth series, Body no. 1477

Last edited by DKG : 13th March 2009 at 10:12.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2009, 16:14   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some trivia about the 120 series of Packards.

1935 was the first year of this junior Packard. Launched with a 256 cu in L-head straight eight engine producing 110 HP the model received the 120 name on account of its wheelbase of 120 inches. The model/chassis for the year is referred to as 120 A

By 1936 the 120 engine received an increase in stroke upping the capacity to 282 cu in and engine power to 120 HP. The model/chassis for the year was referred to as 120 B

For the year 1937 the junior 8 cylinder Packards had their model/chassis referred to as 120 C, the new for 1937 six cylinder offering being referred to as 115 C on account of its 115 inch wheelbase with a 237 cu in six cylinder engine producing 100 HP

Starting 1937 a deluxe version was offered designated 120 CD, the "d" standing for "deluxe" and came with standard options such as a clock, deluxe radiator ornament, nicer trim, white wall tires, full Marshall springs in the seats, a banjo spoke steering wheel, sponge-backed carpets and automatic radiator shutters.

Late in the model year, two more versions of the One Twenty joined the model line, referred to as 138 CD, these cars rode on a 138-inch wheelbase, seven-passenger touring sedan and limousine.

For the year 1938 the six cylinder Packards (the 115 name was dropped to bring the naming in line with senior Packards and was now referred to as model 1600) as a result of longer stroke taking the capacity to 245 cu in received higher low end torque while HP remained 100. The wheelbase of the new sixes increased to 122 inches

The Eights (the 120 name was dropped, and now called 1601) had their chassis stretched to 127 inches.

The 1938 model year saw the introduction of all steel bodies for the junior line of Packards.

For 1939 while the model/chassis designation now continued in line with the system adapted for 1938 ie 1700 for the six and 1701 for the eight, the 120 name for the eight also reappeared for 1939.

Although the model name of 120 no longer reflected the chassis wheelbase it did the engine horsepower for the eights.

The changes in external appearance from '38 to '39 were subtle in trim details only. One major visible change though was the gear shift moved to a column shift. This is a quick identifying feature of the '39s from the '38s

For those interested in more info on Packard you may wish to see PackardInfo.com - General Site News - New Part Cross Reference Database Added - Packard Articles and Packard Automobile Classics, Inc. - The Packard Club Both sites are fabulous archives.

Last edited by DKG : 13th March 2009 at 16:29.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:42   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Is that a Morris Minor badge I see on the boot of the Packard?

Packards in India-untitled_2_2.jpg

This Clipper was entered by Nitin Dossa at a recent rally in Bombay. She also came to Pune for an event. He also has/had a dicky seat 120 (?), MP regd. Shall dig out and scan later.

Packards in India-01.jpg
Packards in India-02.jpg

I think this is vintagemans Packard nearing completion. What is the current status?

Packards in India-23.jpg

This car appeared at the Statesman rally in 2004, Calcutta. Any details?

Packards in India-packard.jpg

This is one of Harit's Packards, a regular participant in rallies in Bombay.

Packards in India-03.jpg
Packards in India-04.jpg
Packards in India-05.jpg

This Clipper was spotted at the recently concluded Madras event.

Packards in India-06.jpg
Packards in India-07.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2009, 11:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more, courtesy xoticars

Packards in India-01.jpg
Packards in India-02.jpg
Packards in India-03.jpg
Packards in India-04.jpg
Packards in India-05.jpg

I had come across these pictures of a supposed Packard being restored in Hyderabad. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Packards in India-packard02.jpg
Packards in India-packard03.jpg
Packards in India-packard04.jpg
Packards in India-packard05.jpg

Another Clipper in Hyderabad (?).

Packards in India-packard06.jpg

A Clipper in Dharmasthala

Packards in India-packard12.jpg
Old 14th March 2009, 12:47   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Is that a Morris Minor badge I see on the boot of the Packard?
Definitely not Packard trim

Quote:
This Clipper was entered by Nitin Dossa at a recent rally in Bombay.
Looks sharp. Is this an eight? The Madras car is a lovely original six, I think '46

Quote:
He also has/had a dicky seat 120 (?), MP regd
Also commonly referred to as rumble seat coupes. Packard referred to them as convertible coupes 2-4 seating.

Quote:
This car appeared at the Statesman rally in 2004, Calcutta. Any details?
Karlos from the drum headlights it appears to be a '28. Will study it closely sometime and identify it further

Quote:
This is one of Harit's Packards, a regular participant in rallies in Bombay
1941 Packard 120 Convertible sedan, Nineteenth series, body no 1497.

There's an identical car here in Hyd with a family since new.

Quote:
I had come across these pictures of a supposed Packard being restored in Hyderabad. Can anyone shed more light on this?
This is a 1939 Packard 110 (Six or 1700) Touring sedan, seventeenth series, body number 1282

The car was originally from Porbandar. What is peculiar about this car is it has a seven seater setup which was never offered by the factory on its usual lineup for sixes.

How did the car acquire the seven seater setup? One explanation, which is more plausible, is the 110 and 120 shared similar body structure aft of the A pillar. The extra 5 inches of the 120 was in the bonnet. Possibly someone bought the seven seater setup from a junked 120 seven seater and installed in it.

A possible but unlikely explanation is this six was ordered from the factory as a special order with seven seater setup? The car has since left Hyd and has gone to Bangalore. I think it was missing the id plate too so I couldn't get more info. Someday we'll get to it though

Quote:
Am not aware if this car remains here. Any ideas?

The black left hand drive Clipper used to be in Nagpur when I saw it last. Its with an overdrive gearbox and is a 46/47 (not sure)

The white convertible is a 1939 Convertible Sedan with Mr Sanghi

GJY (I?) 8072 is a mystery car that seems to have disappeared. Perhaps Harit can throw more light. I think its from 1930 but need some side profile and front shots to id it properly

The black and white car may be a 1936 Convertible sedan/coupe or a 1935 coupe. Can't tell from that picture

Vintageman's car would be a 1936 120B Convertible Sedan, fourteenth series, body no 997

Last edited by DKG : 14th March 2009 at 13:01.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some more, courtesy xoticars

A Clipper in Dharmasthala
Hello Karl, if you could number your pics it will be easier to relate when commenting.
Karl Post 27:
BRS 551, a 2 door Clipper with a straight eight engine. The only one in India, there are 2 more 6 cylunders, Kasli and one in Gujrat which seems to have disapperared. Pics were available of that car lying in junk.

MSP 851 a 4 door sedan, Parsi owned, now with son-in-law. 6 Cylinder. I knew of this car since the 1980's.

Karl Post 28
A 8 cylinder clipper sold to me by a wheeler dealer as a restored car. It was so bad, sold on to Jaipur after informing buyer of ALL defects. Present whereabout not known, but somewhere there only.

MP 09 is in Sanghi collection

Below that is a 1934 Packard still as is. She came from a state in MP.

GJY 8072 is probably a Limo which was lying in Mumbai but went to a Delhi collection.

AAU 8188 has fallen further into disrepair.

There is a 7 seater Limo 1939 in excellent condition with Khoday collection. Can somebody post a pic?
harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks