Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 22:50   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The engine number on this car should fall within 220007 - 224511
Kasli confirms the number to be 223558 so the car is indeed a 1927 Packard Eight Model 343 Touring, 3rd series, body no 290
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

A 1947/48 Packard from a collection in Hyderabad. There was a article in Society Magazine in 2004, the magazine was recently given to me. All the cars in this collection look very well kept.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard-mr.-alam.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A 1947/48 Packard from a collection in Hyderabad. There was a article in Society Magazine in 2004, the magazine was recently given to me. All the cars in this collection look very well kept.
Harith.

These cars. or atleast the first four, are all single owner cars from the Shah Alam Khan family of the Golkonda Beedie fame.

all lovingly looked after. APX 1950 was a cracker, the only Buick in Hyd with portholes in those days.

The Dodge was done up sometime in the late 1990 s in a powder blue colour which looked superb.

I m ont sure who's or what car is the Cream car at the extreme end after the Packard.

It actially looks like the DKG Packard but am not so sure. Any guesses ??
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:23   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the cars in this collection look very well kept.
Most of the cars (and possibly all the cars) were bought new by the family and still with them.

They are the 49 Buick, Plymouth, 39 Buick, 48 Packard and if I remember correctly a 36 Buick
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:23   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the cars (and possibly all the cars) were bought new by the family and still with them.

They are the 49 Buick, Plymouth, 39 Buick, 48 Packard and if I remember correctly a 36 Buick
Deepak can you share more pictures of these cars, particularly the Packard and 39 Buick?

The last yellow car you say is a Buick? It looked so trademark Packard to me, especially windscreen and headlight portion.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shree DKG'ji has a very good memory. I brought out the magazine and checked under the magnifying glass. The picture in the magazine is slightly longer, I an see the red round Buick monogram on the grill.
So it is a Buick 1936.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:13   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Deepak can you share more pictures of these cars, particularly the Packard and 39 Buick?
I don't have any pictures of the cars Karlos. Of the many sons one is passionate about food and another about birds. The one in the picture should be Khader Alam Khan with his sons. He is the second son.

Harit you may be interested to know Mr. Ali (the brilliant mechanic) for a good many years until his death was employed by Shah Alam to tend to all these cars.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

This is a 1947/48 Packard convertible. Nothing is known about it except that it came from somewhere in or near Hyderabad, lying in muck and belongs to me. Do DKG or Wasif remember/know about this car? Several parts were missing, by now a lot of parts have been gathered. And tin work has been done, she will be painted in black.
Another Packard you will see soon is a ca 1934 sedan of Mr. Vijay Mallya. I believe that this is the same car which belonged to a Mr. Gandhi on Carmichael road and had its engine out.
DKGji, perhaps you can talk one more point with Kasli. He has lots of other Packard pics, maybe he will share. Those which have been bought by someone else could be shared. Please convince him.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard-1947.jpg  

Old 5th April 2009, 11:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harith.

Nice car the Packard. Never saw it in Hyderabad actually but that doesn't mean its not from here, maybe form somewhere else in AP as I have heard of one in some district headquarters.

Maybe DKG will be able to add more to it.

When did it become part of your stable and does it have a AP regestration. Also any idea where you got it from ?

Please post pictures of the work in progress on this and your other cars. It would be actually a great idea to create a seperate thread documenting collections such as yours.

I am particaularly interested in seeing pictures of your two and four door sedan Ford Moel A cars and your various Adlers and Packards.

Please do post these cars and others with you.

Regards

Wasif.

BTW what is the car parked in front of the Packard ?
Old 7th April 2009, 09:31   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a 1947/48 Packard convertible. Nothing is known about it except that it came from somewhere in or near Hyderabad, lying in muck and belongs to me. Do DKG or Wasif remember/know about this car?
This iteration of the Clipper was introduced in 1948. Being a convertible it should look lovely in the right colour. Black with whitewalls should look lovely Harit.

Will try to find out through my father as to who would have had the car. Is that the original paint on the car? A pale blue?

Harit do please post pictures of your Packards. You have some fabulous Packards.

Last edited by DKG : 7th April 2009 at 09:32.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:57   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Vijay Mallya's freshly restored mid 30s Packard made an appearance at the recent Bombay rally. Can someone identify the correct model?
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-01.jpg  

Old 7th April 2009, 11:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Packards at the VCCCI Show in Mumbai April 09.

Attached are pictures of three more Packards seen at the VCCCI event in Mumbai. These need to be added here to further document these cars.

The first three pictures are of the red sedan entered by Nitin Dossa, the green and cream Clipper is the Kasli / Speedy car and the 120 convertible is from Harit 's collection.

These cars were posted here earlier but it is always nice to see more pictures of them.

There was also the Mallya Packard posted below by Karlos.

Pictures are courtsey of RandomUserName and Karlos. We need to add details on the history of these cars.

Also it would be nice if Harit could add pictures of his other Packards and those form Doc's collection in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-dsc04169.jpg  

Packards in India-dsc04283.jpg  

Packards in India-packard03.jpg  

Packards in India-dsc04175.jpg  

Packards in India-packard02.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 7th April 2009 at 11:45.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:40   #73
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Vijay Mallya's freshly restored mid 30s Packard made an appearance at the recent Bombay rally. Can someone identify the correct model?
The car is a 1934 Packard. Did it have a glass division? Will clarify if its a Standard Eight or a Super Eight (looks a Super Eight )
Old 16th April 2009, 19:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

Another Packard of yore. Where is she now? This was a 1937 Super 8 7 seater Limo with glass partition.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard-g.jpg  

Old 17th April 2009, 11:18   #75
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another Packard of yore. Where is she now? This was a 1937 Super 8 7 seater Limo with glass partition.
From the slant of the grill (as it appears from this angle) and the bumper it looks like a 1936 like your convertible, but limo body.

If the grill is vertical then its a 35 like your sedan. Nice car, seems to be in her original paint.

BTW did you ever see the Nabha V12? Any pictures of that car? It should be a LHD as V12's never came in RHD

Last edited by DKG : 17th April 2009 at 11:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks