Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 17:29   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Are you sure Karl because the radiator has the traditional Packard curves in the top area but the rims are certainly unlike Packard's
Here is a picture of a 1929 Buick courtesy 29buick.com. The resemblance is clearly visible. Buicks of the era did have radiators like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-1929_buick_front_large.jpg  

Old 17th September 2009, 17:33   #107
Senior - BHPian

Looks so but those rims are certainly not what would be seen on comtemprary Packards or Buicks.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:37   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks so but those rims are certainly not what would be seen on comtemprary Packards or Buicks.
Im just posting a reference image of a Buick to show the radiator lines, may not be the same model. In the US Buicks certainly did have wooden wheels well into the late 20s, and perhaps even early 30s. Indian market cars were usually fitted with steel spoked wheels.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:22   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The 2nd car is not a Packard, looks like a Buick. Where did the first Packard originate from?
The Packard (red) according to the Pakwheels website is an ex-Patiala car
Old 18th September 2009, 10:23   #110
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2nd car is not a Packard, looks like a Buick. Where did the first Packard originate from?
Spot on Karlos. The second car is a 1930 Buick. 29 had the honeycomb radiator exposed and a wider grill shroud. 30 received a new grill, leaner shroud with louvers, also the bumpers went from triple strip to double for 30

Last edited by DKG : 18th September 2009 at 10:25.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:07   #111
BHPian

Some interesting Packards that used to be from Inidia now in Pakistan taken off PakWheels[/quote]

The car in the second pic is interesting... the front fenders are like the packards of the yrs 1932-33 period, the raidator cowl and the bonnet are very much like the buick of 1928-1930 period
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Sometime ago a thread was started by, if I remember rightly Manishalive, titled PETA, people for ethical treatment of Automobiles. This thread was later merged with another.
A colleague from Chennai jumped on this thread and discussed about a Packard rotting at a "dealer"s place in Pene (sic), which was stated as belonging to a collector from Mumbai. Well, many have understood that the reference was to me. I am uploading two pictures of one of the cars referred to, a Packard Limo. He was right about it being a rare and valuable car, but he was wrong when he says that it is still rotting. So clear his doubt, I am posting pictures of the car before and as it is now. The 'before' picture was posted by me earlier on this thread.
Somehow when the threads were merged, his post was deleted.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard-golia-1.jpg  

Packards in India-packard-golia-2.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2009, 10:40   #113
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car Harit. Looks like a 1935 Super Eight. Is it a limo?

This and your 36 convertible when finished would be such a stunning pair !
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Lovely car Harit. Looks like a 1935 Super Eight. Is it a limo?

This and your 36 convertible when finished would be such a stunning pair !
Hi DKG,

Yes, it is a Super 8 and a Limo.
It had a red number plate, but unfortunately too faded to make out from which state. The previous owner mentioned that he got her from Indore. Does anyone have an idea? Was this ever a Holkar car? Would be glad to receive any hints.
Yes, they will be atunning pair indeed.

Cheers harit
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:18   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sometime ago a thread was started by, if I remember rightly Manishalive, titled PETA, people for ethical treatment of Automobiles. This thread was later merged with another.
A colleague from Chennai jumped on this thread and discussed about a Packard rotting at a "dealer"s place in Pene (sic), which was stated as belonging to a collector from Mumbai. Well, many have understood that the reference was to me. I am uploading two pictures of one of the cars referred to, a Packard Limo. He was right about it being a rare and valuable car, but he was wrong when he says that it is still rotting. So clear his doubt, I am posting pictures of the car before and as it is now. The 'before' picture was posted by me earlier on this thread.
Somehow when the threads were merged, his post was deleted.
Great to see work going on on your lovely and rare Packard. DKG would appreciate it the most, being a passionate Packard lover himself.

As regards opinionated people who question you regarding your car, well you dont owe anyone any explanation. They will not even appreciate this gesture of yours and will have more things t say, so just look through and Enjoy!!

Please keep us updated about the progress, i promise not to make derogatory comments

Last edited by V-16 : 3rd October 2009 at 17:25.
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a 1947/48 Packard convertible. Nothing is known about it except that it came from somewhere in or near Hyderabad, lying in muck and belongs to me. Do DKG or Wasif remember/know about this car? Several parts were missing, by now a lot of parts have been gathered. And tin work has been done, she will be painted in black.
Another Packard you will see soon is a ca 1934 sedan of Mr. Vijay Mallya. I believe that this is the same car which belonged to a Mr. Gandhi on Carmichael road and had its engine out.
DKGji, perhaps you can talk one more point with Kasli. He has lots of other Packard pics, maybe he will share. Those which have been bought by someone else could be shared. Please convince him.
As far as I remember positively this convertible belonged to a muslim garage owner at gazdar bandh at santacruz in 1972 /73 , this man sharief or rafique by name I dont remember used to give vehicles on hire to bollywood for stunts and car chases, he even had a old jeep.
This packard can be seen in some old rajesh khanna or Vinod Khanna movies being driven around very fast.
Now the best part is this man he himself used to drive this car and never let any one else drive.
Old 4th October 2009, 01:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
As far as I remember positively this convertible belonged to a muslim garage owner at gazdar bandh at santacruz in 1972 /73 , this man sharief or rafique by name I dont remember used to give vehicles on hire to bollywood for stunts and car chases, he even had a old jeep.
This packard can be seen in some old rajesh khanna or Vinod Khanna movies being driven around very fast.
Now the best part is this man he himself used to drive this car and never let any one else drive.
Very observant you are. But unfortunately not correct. The car I posted came from Hyderabad or nearabouts, is left hand drive and the body is quite in shape. The car you speak about was right hand drive, body out of shape and white in colour. By sheer coincidence, both cars are lying in the same compound.
The guy who had a Packard on the juhu bandh also had a Dodge 1954 convertible which I believe is with Manishalive? in Bangalore!

Cheers harit
Old 27th October 2009, 18:07   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice image of the Twin Six of Vijay Mallya, currently undergoing restoration.

Packards in India-twin6.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: 1920 Packard twin six 3-35 limousine
Old 27th October 2009, 18:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

Any history on this car available ?

It has that traditional early Packard headlight assembly with the built in parking light.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:17   #120
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A nice image of the Twin Six of Vijay Mallya, currently undergoing restoration.
Precious car !! Its the V12 in these cars which inspired Enzo to develop his V12 for Ferrari. Those bumpers don't belong on this model

Someone vaguely mentioned this car may have come from Hyderabad !! Not sure though

Last edited by DKG : 27th October 2009 at 21:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks