Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:29   #1681
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a racetrack probably somewhere in Tamil Nadu because that Fiat has a MDE? registration, not quite legible. In the background there seem to be hilly countryside. Anyone can identify?
It definitely would be Coimbatore, as there was a racing track there. The MDE regn. also is from there.

BTW, I presume you got my pm about the Standard pics.?
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:47   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a racetrack probably somewhere in Tamil Nadu because that Fiat has a MDE? registration, not quite legible. The white car towards the left could be a 1956 Chevy, but again not clear. In the background there seem to be hilly countryside. Anyone can identify?
I think this is the turf at Ooty - a similar picture (much older though) was posted earlier too.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ooty.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:51   #1683
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think this is the turf at Ooty
Attachment 534622
Yes it is Ooty. See the houses on the hills close to the race track.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:11   #1684
BHPian

Managed to locate pictures of my Grand pa's 1948 Buick. The picture was taken just outside our Bungalow at Carter Road - bang opp where the Joggers Park is right now. For all those from Bombay they maybe familiar wth the surroundings. The bungalow was demolised in 1984 and a building by the name of "Rock Cliff" now stands there. Those were the days....from memory this picture must have been taken sometime during 1952-53 by my Dad. Any information on this car would be great and if still around would love to see it.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-buick01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-buick02.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th April 2011 at 15:41. Reason: Cropped images for easier viewing.
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 12:23   #1685
BHPian

Another interesting car amongst many other cars which my Grand dad owned was an open top Chevy 1938 model. This Chevy was actually used at the race course in Mahalaxmi and was used for running along with the horses in the parellel lane. The car was later auctioned by RWITC and that is when my Grand dad who also owned couple of horses at the race course bought it. Very low on miles and a very sturdy car. Was regularly used during families vacation to Mahabeleshwar and Panchgani and use to climb the ghats amazingly well.

Believe it or not i have now managed to locate this car in Bombay. It is lying at Bandra and it now belongs to the son to whom my Grand dad had sold in 1956 !! The car is jacked up since nearly 20 years but still has those looks and is parked in an enclosed garage. Trying to buy it back but the son seems too reluctant to part with it and is comfortable to retain it the way it is. He is confident that he will be able to bring it back to the past glory, someday !!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chevy01.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th April 2011 at 16:59. Reason: Cropped images for easier viewing
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 12:32   #1686
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey 67Bug, I'm not sure if its a Buick, but have seen a large American car lying under cover in the building opp Joggers Park. I'm not sure if the car is still around, but the last I saw it was almost a year ago.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:50   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Older picture taken in Panjim, here is the place for the ferry between Panjim and Betim. Now ofcourse there is a bridge.
The car is a Hillman Minx.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-23-.jpg  

Old 25th April 2011, 14:23   #1688
Senior - BHPian

This used to be the Town Hall, today it houses the Asiatic library which is being restored and houses very valuable books. The back of the picture says January 1944, but the Morris does not quite fit.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-24-.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 25th April 2011 at 14:26.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:39   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Older picture taken in Panjim, here is the place for the ferry between Panjim and Betim. Now ofcourse there is a bridge.
The car is a Hillman Minx.
Doesnt it look a bit too long for a Hillman Minx? Unless perhaps i.t was a Super Minx. Or could it be a Simca Aronde (which were common in Goa, one is still seen around)
Old 25th April 2011, 15:09   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Doesnt it look a bit too long for a Hillman Minx? Unless perhaps i.t was a Super Minx. Or could it be a Simca Aronde (which were common in Goa, one is still seen around)
It is a Hillman Minx of around 1959/60. I rechecked with a magnifying glass.

Here is a 1954 Dodge converible being used in a wedding. This was probably before/around 1960.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 25th April 2011, 16:18   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last one for the day. This seems to be from a movie, or while that movie is being shot. Any idea which flick this could be, and who are the actors?

Cheers harit
Looks to be Vishal Anand, Dev Anand's Nephew from the 1976 Film ''Chalte Chalte''. Was a big hit for its fantastic music. Vishal Anand never came in any other film so im guessing its the same film and looking at the Fiat, it could be right. Th lady is the same girl who also starred in many movies including Don (Amithabh) as a moll. She usually did these kind of roles. Her name i dont know.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:23   #1692
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a 1954 Dodge converible being used in a wedding. This was probably before/around 1960.
Cheers harit
Not very important but that is a 1954 Plymouth Convertible, see the grill and front fenders. However we all know there was hardly anything mechanically different amongst the Dodge and Plymouth convertibles of 1954
Old 26th April 2011, 10:30   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Not very important but that is a 1954 Plymouth Convertible, see the grill and front fenders. However we all know there was hardly anything mechanically different amongst the Dodge and Plymouth convertibles of 1954
A similar model (from what I can make out) car was used in the wedding of my mama (maternal uncle) in Madras, that's him in the back seat. Although this was much later, in the mid '70s, so the car is showing quite some age here, going by the missing front wing trim and the door not shutting properly.

This car too, strangely happens to be a LHD.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_1427.jpg
Old 26th April 2011, 11:12   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This car too, strangely happens to be a LHD.
All 1954 Plymouth, Dodge and DeSoto convertibles were left hand drive as they were imported and not assembled in India. There is one RHD car, but in that case the chassis of a sedan was used, on that a convertible body was mounted. Check all the cars you can see on this forum, all will be LHD.
Any idea what happened to this car, or was it a locally hired wedding car?

Cheers harit
Old 26th April 2011, 11:53   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All 1954 Plymouth, Dodge and DeSoto convertibles were left hand drive as they were imported and not assembled in India.

Any idea what happened to this car, or was it a locally hired wedding car
Aah yes, I should've realised - we had only the sedans assembled here, never the convertibles!

It definitely was a hired 'baraat' car (I suspect the one in your photo was too) and in all probability painted red. As it wasnt ours, unfortunately no idea what could've happened to it later; going by its condition in the photo, it would've led a rough life and was probably scrapped eventually when it grew too obsolete. Like what happened to the numerous 60s Chevys that were seen until a decade ago over here.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th April 2011 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks