Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 00:05   #931
BHPian

John's Bakery, Abids, Hyd.

Got this interesting picture of John & Co. Abids, Hyderabad,, during my recent visit to Hyd. I used to visit during school days to John's bakery, this building was there until late 70-80's now it has Cherma's showroom. This John & Co photo seems to be of 30's however it is not mentioned the time, but Austin car on the right can seen and other big car on left.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-johnco.jpg  

Old 30th December 2009, 08:28   #932
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a pleasure to share with you the photograph of my great grand father Kuttetira Subbaiah (person in the rear right) in his 1926 Dodge. My father tells me that 3 such new cars came to Coorg around the same time. He was a lover of cars and he also had a Chevrolet car and truck. No idea what happend the the Dodge but the Chevrolet car and truck I understand was scarpped in 1941.

Cheers

KPS
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2009, 10:05   #933
BHPian

Superb Collection, keep it up!!
Old 30th December 2009, 10:12   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
It is a pleasure to share with you the photograph of my great grand father Kuttetira Subbaiah (person in the rear right) in his 1926 Dodge. My father tells me that 3 such new cars came to Coorg around the same time. He was a lover of cars and he also had a Chevrolet car and truck. No idea what happend the the Dodge but the Chevrolet car and truck I understand was scarpped in 1941.

Cheers

KPS
Hi KPS.

You mentioned that three Dodge cars had been around in Coorg. One such car, almost identical to the one in your picture, but with disc wheels and drum type headlights, was bought by a dealer and brought to Hyderabad for resale.

The car was a big tourer in silver and black in extremely original condition, not sure what happened to it. The guy who briught it to Hyderabad also brought a Ford Model A tourer and a Fiat Ballila Tourer too from Coorgh.

Do you have any knowledge of these cars ?
Old 30th December 2009, 11:21   #935
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wasif,

Checked with my Dad, we have no recollection of the Dodge as stated by you.

Yes from Coorg, a Ford A Tourer was sold last year. Few people were aware as the same was locking up. The same owner had a RR which as sold from Bangalore last year too. I think it the same Silver Wraith (MYO 9444) posted elsewhere in the forum. A lot of people had apprached for this car and I guess you have to be fated to own a car like the RR.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2009, 20:53   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Regarding the 'ducktail' Rolls in Wasif's picture, I think there were 2 in India - One Jaipur, one Khairpur, subject to correction. More details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/828051-post303.html

Gurus, do enlighten us.
Interesting things seemed to have happened on the forum - including some truly gorgeous pictures!

The RR PII ducktail outside the Saroonagar Palace (post # 916) looks very much like the Nawab of Khairpur's (Chassis 44-MY). Maybe this picture was taken while he was visiting - just a thought, not a challenge to anyone!

A very similar car was indeed with Jaipur and pictured during Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1961. The car is now painted black and maroon and called the "Tigers Eye of Jaipur"

A similar bodystyle was also on the Rajah of Mandi's RR 20-25 (or maybe 25-30). The car is now with Bhogilal.

So much for "Indian" RR ducktails I know of . Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 30th December 2009 at 20:57.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2009, 09:48   #937
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The RR PII ducktail outside the Saroonagar Palace (post # 916) looks very much like the Nawab of Khairpur's (Chassis 44-MY). Maybe this picture was taken while he was visiting - just a thought, not a challenge to anyone!

A very similar car was indeed with Jaipur and pictured during Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1961. The car is now painted black and maroon and called the "Tigers Eye of Jaipur"

A similar bodystyle was also on the Rajah of Mandi's RR 20-25 (or maybe 25-30). The car is now with Bhogilal.

So much for "Indian" RR ducktails I know of . Cheers
Here's clearing your doubt Prem. The Nawab of Khairpur's wife was Zaheer Yar Jung's (the Paigah Nawab in Hyderabad) sister. Looking at the palace picture I now don't think such a massive palace existed in Saroonagar. More likely this picture was taken in England before the car was delivered to India. Unless ofcourse the Nawab of Khairpur had a palace like this.

It helps to have a Dad who actually knew all these people personally
Old 31st December 2009, 09:58   #938
Senior - BHPian

Speak to Baba Ghouse. he was the one who mentioned the palace was their Saroonagar Palace.

The picture does have a European feel to it though and maybe he was mistaken.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:14   #939
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Speak to Baba Ghouse. he was the one who mentioned the palace was their Saroonagar Palace.
I doubt it Wasif. Check out some gorgeous pictures of the Saroonagar palace pictures 27 and 28 of 66 pictures at

Yadegaran | Stock Photography

The site contains some fabulous pictures of Sir Asman Jah and his palaces etc.

Sometimes time clouds facts and most often even family members end up with the wrong facts about their family. In our own family many don't know a small interesting tale associated with the LaSalle's purchase. The car was delivered to a Nawab but returned after sometime as it had trouble starting. The dealer traced the problem to a faulty battery wire but he had lost the sale by then. My great grandfather bought the car.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:38   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I doubt it Wasif. Check out some gorgeous pictures of the Saroonagar palace pictures 27 and 28 of 66 pictures at

Yadegaran | Stock Photography

The site contains some fabulous pictures of Sir Asman Jah and his palaces etc.

Sometimes time clouds facts and most often even family members end up with the wrong facts about their family. In our own family many don't know a small interesting tale associated with the LaSalle's purchase. The car was delivered to a Nawab but returned after sometime as it had trouble starting. The dealer traced the problem to a faulty battery wire but he had lost the sale by then. My great grandfather bought the car.
Nice pictures of the palaces on that link, and like you said that picture with the RR couldn't have been with the Saroonagar Palace as a backdrop.

On another note it makes me want to cry looking at the rich heritage of Hyderabad that was wantonly destroyed by the Indian Government.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:52   #941
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
On another note it makes me want to cry looking
at the rich heritage of Hyderabad that was wantonly destroyed by the
Indian Government.
Indirectly yes. The abolition of privy purses was the biggest blunder as the decades after the abolition saw families pawn whatever they could to survive. I think 3/4's of India's treasure went out in those years. The cars were just a small part of what we lost. The palaces that crumbled or were encroached upon, jewellery and artefacts that were shipped out its all so sad.

I remember seeing Purani Haveli fully furnished and have slides to document what once was. Today Masarath Mahal can only hint at what once was. Nazri Bagh at King Kothi is completely bare !

Its all too sad and worse the government still hasn't woken up. There still remains no respite for owners of heritage properties. No tax rebates, no loans with subsidised interest rates for tourism development projects. No support.

The biggest shame is that India has failed to capitalise on a mindboggling asset with huge tourism potential. In these 50 odd years post independence if the people that ran the country saw the billions they could have earned through tourism the plunder of this amazing nation's cultural heritage could have well been avoided.

I still hope that tourism gets priority as there's still much that remains which has potential

Last edited by DKG : 31st December 2009 at 10:54.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:30   #942

Wonderful Pictures here, Thanks to all of you.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:22   #943
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I want to share photos of atleast some of the cars we have owned in the past.

1. 1959 Morris Mini Woody - This was my first classic car and I had it 2001-2004. The car was a great looker. Since me the car has changed two hands and I understand it is being redone. Gladly the car is still in Bangalore.

2.My Dad's 1935 Austin 10/4 Saloon. This car was found in Kolar in early eighties. We had this car till 2005. Last we had heard was this car is in Kerala

3. My Dad's 1956 Morris 1000. We had this car till 2005. The car originally was from Goa. Last we had heard was that this car is in Kerala

Cheers

KPS
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00981.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00982.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00984.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00990.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00991.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00993.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00994.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00992.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 12th January 2010, 14:20   #944
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture of a Sunbeam Talbot. The colouring is original on the photo, probably done by a studio when colour photos were very expensive. This was a method followed till colour photos really came to the forefront. BTW, towards the end of the 1930's colour photos became available, but were seldomly seen because of expense and perhaps lack of expertise. So far I have obtained only one such real old colour photo.
There is a posibility that the lady in the picture is a Parsi lady. I have another picture with the door closed and the lady standing by the side.

Cheers harit

OT, This thread really needed a push.
Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 12th January 2010 at 14:23.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:37   #945
BHPian

My dad in his Rajdoot 175 (Nov '77). I am desperately looking for this bike - the Reg no. TRM 550

And the next one, me on my first vehicle....
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-motor-cycle-001.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-motor-cycle-002.jpg  

Last edited by milindajp : 12th January 2010 at 16:38.
milindajp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks