Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 21:10   #1066
BHPian

@the mole re.
Like a Maharajah and their cars thread should we start a thread for film wallahs and their cars?
There already exists a thread in the modern car section on the above entitled "Bollywood stars and their cars", with motors from the classic period shown as well, very little pre-1940 stuff,the quality of the stuff we are seeing in this thread thanks to Harit and some others,is in another class altogether.
My point here is how could the new thread suggested by you and the existing one mentioned earlier be merged seamlessly to avoid overlap?
Great idea ,needs a bit of clarity in terms of positioning on the forum.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:01   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
The car in post # 1029 has shades of Lea Francis 2.5 Litre Sports, atleast that is what wheel caps look like... but then even AC 2 litre drophead coupe has similar styling..
Interesting observation, and there are similarities. But I'm afraid the car in question isn't either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I had some idea but it bombed. Ram, please look into this too. That peculiar pressing above the mudguard where the photo ends is a stricking feature, but what is it? Not a Leaf, could not see a similar AC. The shape is similar to a Triumpf Roadster, but not the same.
Well folks, I was suggesting all along instead of stating it; hoping that somebody would take the cue and trawl the net with the provided starting point (given that there isn't much to tell from the picture, for some), or go through some books (more likely the former from what I've observed here!!) and come up with a picture to establish that it is an Alvis. Well, I'm saying it now - that car is an Alvis - Alvis TA or something (unless it's a very close resemblance from another marque - but unlikely). I know my cars. Now somebody please get a matching pic from somewhere.
Old 9th March 2010, 23:51   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Harit
Thanks for the beautiful scans related to Prabhat,.................................... Like a Maharajah and their cars thread should we start a thread for film wallahs and their cars?
No, I feel that there are too few black and white old pics with yesteryears stars in to put up. And the cars in the pictures need not have been belonging to the stars themselves. Let these pics be here for a while unless a flood of them come up. And merging these pics with the current stars Ferrari's, Porsche's will be out of sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
......... hoping that somebody would take the cue and trawl the net with the provided starting point (given that there isn't much to tell from the picture, for some), or go through some books (more likely the former from what I've observed here!!) and come up with a picture to establish that it is an Alvis. Well, I'm saying it now - that car is an Alvis - Alvis TA or something (unless it's a very close resemblance from another marque - but unlikely). I know my cars. Now somebody please get a matching pic from somewhere.
Well I took up your challenge, searched the net, and voila..................Alvis TA 14 drophead coupe bodied by Carbodies, built between 1946 to 1950. Take a piece of paper and cover the front portion upto the wheelarch and you have a match.
Hopefully more stars tomorrow.
Did you notice how these pics brought some life and participation in the vintage section?

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2010 at 14:24. Reason: Hi Harit, in cases like this its better to provide a www link of the source website than to watermark the picture. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:14   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if it this same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1677315-post734.html
Old 10th March 2010, 11:12   #1070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Like a Maharajah and their cars thread should we start a thread for film wallahs and their cars?
There already exists a thread in the modern car section on the above entitled "Bollywood stars and their cars", with motors from the classic period shown as well, very little pre-1940 stuff,the quality of the stuff we are seeing in this thread thanks to Harit and some others,is in another class altogether.
My point here is how could the new thread suggested by you and the existing one mentioned earlier be merged seamlessly to avoid overlap?
Great idea ,needs a bit of clarity in terms of positioning on the forum.
Well we do have a thread on cars spotted in movies - the closest thing I would think.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...d-cars-17.html
Old 10th March 2010, 13:57   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harit sir for finally solving the mystery.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:19   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Another old picture, Study looks nice and new, same lady as with the Alvis picture, but she does not interest us as that would be OT. SO enjoy the car. If only we could move her like they move the Eiffel Tower in that TV advert.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-stude-1.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 14:25   #1073
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a Chevy DeLuxe, as seen on the fender monogram.
OT, this may be a great pic if we identify the two gents seen shaking hands. Maybe that was a historic moment. Very stylish that car, with wheel spats, whitewall tyres, neat and clean lines (brought back to topic).
Can anyone identify the location?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-chevy-4.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 23:02   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harit sir for finally solving the mystery.
May I ask what do you mean by that? Since, the "mystery" was definitely "solved" by someone else! That too yesterday, once again.

It was, in fact solved a long time ago - if one bothers to filter back through four/five pages of discussions mostly on the world of cinema, rather than cars!!
Old 10th March 2010, 23:29   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May I ask what do you mean by that? Since, the "mystery" was definitely "solved" by someone else! That too yesterday, once again.

It was, in fact solved a long time ago - if one bothers to filter back through four/five pages of discussions mostly on the world of cinema, rather than cars!!
Hey Prabal!
Ofcourse you solved the mystery, but by your own admission, your post required filtering.
In fact I followed your post and googled, anyone could have done that, but didn't.
But is it not intriguing how the car was cut in the photo from a particular place to make the quest interesting.
Enough of banter, I hope you took it in good spirits, tomorrow some more pics.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 10th March 2010 at 23:30.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:55   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh absolutely..Probably i was bit ignorant to that, as Harit sir posted the id with pics, i just followed it.Nevermind

BTW here is one pic i got from web, some beef & poultry market in bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bangy-beef-n-poltry-mkt.jpg  

Last edited by agspins : 11th March 2010 at 00:00.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2010, 00:50   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh absolutely..Probably i was bit ignorant to that, as Harit sir posted the id with pics, i just followed it.Nevermind

Agspins, this picture has been posted before. Karl.......Karl!!!! Where is that fellow when he is required?

Just joking ofcourse, still a nice picture. The registration was discussed at length at that time.

Cheers harit
Old 11th March 2010, 03:02   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Although the two gents shaking hands cannot be recognised by me, the place, and the sentiment of the pic, the palm trees in the back ground and the many arched doors reminds me that if this place is indeed in Bombay, it can well be the the Juhu Airport (old).

Now this thread is all about nostalgia and trying to discover the roots of the pics. Its also called the Nostalgic Pictures of Our Family's Cars but most cars here are not even known, leave alone whom they belong to (definitely not family or relations but no ones complaining). What im saying is that this thread is all about history and a little deviation into trying to figure out who the persons with the cars are is inevitable. after all these pics are a part of history.

I used to see one Metallic Green Alvis drop head coupe parked adjacent in a building next to Prithvi Appartments around the early 90's. It was owned by one Mr. Cooper and was not for sale then. Can it be the same car, though it did have a newer (maybe MMB or an MMF number if i remember correct) Never saw it after that. It had an Ambassador speedo

Regarding V Shantaram's cars, they all were of the same colour, a turquoisish blue-green shade.

Last edited by V-16 : 11th March 2010 at 03:04.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:27   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This place happens to be quite famous with classic afficionados in Bengalooru- its in Shivaji Nagar, a.k.a Stephen's Square!
Just adjacent to this building on the left side is the famous gujiri (scrap market! )
Old 11th March 2010, 09:35   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This place happens to be quite famous with classic afficionados in Bengalooru- its in Shivaji Nagar, a.k.a Stephen's Square!
Just adjacent to this building on the left side is the famous gujiri (scrap market! )
Yes Shyam.. This is the place which helps many of us to restore our Nostalgic Family cars!

Stephen's Square, Chandni Chowk, Shivajinagar, Bangalore - 560001.
This is the full address.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks