Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 13:36   #1201
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a 1937 Oldsmobile. Nice car, makes a strong impression with that standing tall grill.
About the lady no clue, but she gives some appearance of confidence and charisma, maybe a star of yore? This Olds later got a BMW registration. They also has a 1940/41 Plymouth. From the other persons around this seems to be a Parsi family.
Today I have been told that this lady is Sabita Devi, a movie star when "talkies" started. She was an Anglo Indian lady and also moved on to UK, maybe London. Her name was something like Mrs Patersson. She also sang, but more western style. I have a lot of addl. photos of her and her family, will start digging more info a bit later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is an MG, with a special body. Maybe a Magna? And do you see any prewar MG's in India with a closed body? Maybe by Tickford? Check the wheel.
Interesting is the background, appears like the view of Mumbai from Kamla Nehru Park. When was that park built? Could not find any info on the net, the Hanging Garden was created in the 19th century.
Also the lady and the gent, she has some resemblance to Devika Rani, who must have been often in Bombay for shooting movies. And the guy looks like a star too. Any ideas?
Cheers harit
As Wasif suggested, this seems to be a Riley.
The lady here also is Sabita Devi, the guy is still unknown. The place is where Kamla Nehru Park is today, the background is Chowpatti. That time marine drive was different, not so wide. And Birla Kendra with Thakkers restaurant were not yet built.
These pics are a real treasure.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:19   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This photo was part of an article in this months Auto India, where Suchandra Roy reminices on their Riley Sprite. The picture is from one of the earlier rallies in Bombay, and note the large (K series?) Mercedes in the back. Can anyone identify it? Where is this Riley today?
Nothing better to do than go through this thread. Above post was from Jan 2009.
This picture was probably taken in Delhi, and the Merc behind is the 500K now in Mumbai. It belonged to the late Pratap Roy earlier, and before that belonged to royalty. About the Riley, no clue as yet.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd April 2010 at 19:20.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:14   #1203
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture showing the effects of modernisation.
A lovely old heritage cottage with a suitable Vanguard, (MYX 482 before Karl asks) and then a "modern" bungalow behind it. Period picture of an era gone by.

Cheers harit

BTW, in this lot I got a real scoop, a new (not seen before) picture of the Bhopal 6 1/2 Litre Bentley with a hunted Tiger laid out!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-vanguard-1.jpg  

Old 27th April 2010, 12:58   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, in this lot I got a real scoop, a new (not seen before) picture of the Bhopal 6 1/2 Litre Bentley with a hunted Tiger laid out!
I think this is same hunting car with twin screens and eleven lights mounted on it, belonged to Hamidullah khan, son of Begum of bhopal.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:31   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I think this is same hunting car with twin screens and eleven lights mounted on it, belonged to Hamidullah khan, son of Begum of bhopal.

Harit

Request you to please post the said picture for the beneft of all .....and do add the reg number for Karl too
Old 29th April 2010, 14:35   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Harit sir, we are waiting for the pics, meanwhile posting some pics of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bplbntly1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bplbntly2-rear.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 17:19   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit sir, we are waiting for the pics, meanwhile posting some pics of the car.
Hi! You have posted from the few known pictures which appeared in an article in " The Motor" Sept 7 1926.
Here is a teaser, see the mascot. The other spotlights are as per your picture only. The Tiger is an addition.
This picture is a new addition in Bentley circles, unknown before, so a great find I was told.
Hope you like.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-bentley-2.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 29th April 2010 at 17:22.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:36   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

'found this pic. in a newspaper article the other day- one of several old pics. taken by a noted yesteryears' press photographer Kulwant Roy, who was known to have photographed even Gandhi, Nehru and Jinnah back in the day.

This photo doesnt give any details other than "Boys on a Royal Enfield motorcycle, 1950s"

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_5754.jpg
Old 29th April 2010, 22:56   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'found this pic. in a newspaper article the other day- one of several old pics. taken by a noted yesteryears' press photographer Kulwant Roy, who was known to have photographed even Gandhi, Nehru and Jinnah back in the day.

This photo doesnt give any details other than "Boys on a Royal Enfield motorcycle, 1950s"

Attachment 340200
Great picture Shyam. The small round frame with a glass and a paper token within near the headlight was the yearly RTO road tax receipt that had to be prominently displayed on motor vehicles of yester years.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:25   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! You have posted from the few known pictures which appeared in an article in " The Motor" Sept 7 1926.Here is a teaser, see the mascot. The other spotlights are as per your picture only. The Tiger is an addition.This picture is a new addition in Bentley circles, unknown before, so a great find I was told.Hope you like.
Cheers harit
That is a beautiful pic, i think the only pic showing car in its true colors and probably only one showing the car in India, coz most pics including the ones i posted are either factory pics or shot in England.Mascot,any idea what it was/represented? couldn't make out from other pics whether it was a lady or a bird.Hopefully she survives somewhere and gets unearthed someday...
Please post the full pic.

BTW Sir how do you manage to such rare pics?
Old 30th April 2010, 02:52   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a beautiful pic, i think the only pic showing car in its true colors and probably only one showing the car in India, coz most pics including the ones i posted are either factory pics or shot in England.Mascot,any idea what it was/represented? couldn't make out from other pics whether it was a lady or a bird.Hopefully she survives somewhere and gets unearthed someday...
Please post the full pic.

BTW Sir how do you manage to such rare pics?
The hood ornament is a "Cherub" - kind of an angelic baby. The Bhopal RR SG had a "Prowling Tiger" mascot.
I believe, from what I have read, that the Bentley itself is gone forever (never say never)!

Last edited by travancore : 30th April 2010 at 02:54.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:07   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

Among a large number of superb photos of King Edward's visit to India and China, I found these 2 pictures of interest.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg

The first car is a Wolseley/Lanchester? Second car appears to be American, maybe Buick or Dodge.

ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHS KING EDWARD V111 TRIP CHINA INDIA on eBay (end time 03-May-10 17:06:44 BST)

Anyone want to bid? Only 4500 pounds
Old 30th April 2010, 10:29   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Some lovely period British Raj photos can be seen here

An early army truck with solid tyres

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-army.jpg

A rare 3 wheeler - can it be identified?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-3wheel.jpg

A Ford T and an early State car (cannot read the plate)

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-t01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-t02.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Album-over-500...item588762efe1
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 12:51   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The hood ornament is a "Cherub" - kind of an angelic baby. The Bhopal RR SG had a "Prowling Tiger" mascot.I believe, from what I have read, that the Bentley itself is gone forever (never say never)!
Thank you Sir,yep that "Prowling Tiger"RR too belonged to Prince Hamidullah Khan, it too had close 10 lights with one big Lucas at the rear.

@ Karl Wonderful pics..4500 pounds are they recovering then cost of kings visit..

That 3 wheeled car,Morgan runabout??

That state car could be a Bahawalpur(that is what i could make our from the pic).

Last edited by agspins : 30th April 2010 at 12:58.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:22   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir,yep that "Prowling Tiger"RR too belonged to Prince Hamidullah Khan, it too had close 10 lights with one big Lucas at the rear.

@ Karl Wonderful pics..4500 pounds are they recovering then cost of kings visit..

That 3 wheeled car,Morgan runabout??

That state car could be a Bahawalpur(that is what i could make our from the pic).
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-model1standard.jpg

Could this be the model as got from the following website.

Morgan, the World's Leading 3-Wheelers: The different models

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks