Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 21:07   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These are truly family pictures. Any idea where any of your vehicles have landed up? Do any survive in India? 18-17=1, but nephew looks older than 1!!
Natalie on the number plate must have been something good looking . Very pretty.

Another nice picture, this time a Fiat.

Cheers harit
wow thats nice, a Select, can we have more please. I would love to see a similar shot for the Left hand side above the petrol cap. I am expecting to see a logo over there.
Old 21st August 2010, 21:49   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An older filmy photo, but not very old. Famous star seen behind. Which car is this? Somehow it looks suspicious, maybe modified, I cannot place it. Let us hear from the filmy fans.
That is a Ford Corsair, see the reference image (of a Corsair that used to rot in Pune)

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-0001.jpg

And thanks to you and KPS for some neat pics
Old 21st August 2010, 22:04   #1338
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the cars we used own in the past and two of them of my great/grandfathers cars. I have posted some of them before but I wanted post all together. I have posted it in order of the models

This 1927-8 Dodge was owned by my Great Grand Father. This car was scrapped in 1942.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-thatha-his-beautiful-car1.jpg

This 1935 Austin was bought in the early 1980's. This car was found in Kolar and we had this car more than 25 years. The car went to Kerala and there I believe was shipped to the gulf.

Before
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-austin-before.jpg

After
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-austin-after.jpg

This 1951 Morris Minor hidden behind the bike was bought in 1991 for 17K. She was a single owner car and was very original. My mother used to drive this car often.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ml-mm.jpg

This 1951 Vanguard as taken in 1966 at Bonacad Estate in Ponmudi, Kerala. My sister was two years old. Dad bought this TN registered car in Bangalore!
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vangy.jpg

This 1955 Milicento as seen in May 1963 and my parents were newly married. No idea what happened to this car
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-millicento.jpg

This 1955 Studebaker Regal Champion was the all time favorite family car and Dad bought this in 1968-69. We practically lived in this car! I remember sleeping in the rear on the flat portion between the rear seat and rear wind screen. MYZ 451 (Coorg Number) was a well recognized as it used be driven by my mother and it was rare for a woman to drive such a big car daily. My mother would drop us to Sophia School every day. After dropping us off at school Mum would deliver vegetables to the wholesale market. We used in live in a farm then. At times the rear seat would be removed and the car would be filled with tomatoes more than half ton! I think we sold this car in 1978-79. Believed to be now scrapped.

Getting ready to school
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-stude-front.jpg

The rear of the stude and our 1972 lambretta. My mother and sister are also seen
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-stude-rear.jpg

This 1955 Vanguard owned by my grandfather taken in Nilgiris in 1964 when they visited my parents
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-thatha-vangy.jpg

This 1958 Morris 1000 was a wonderful car. Such a pleasure to drive. Especially if you have extensively driven a Morris Minor you would really appreciate the 1000. In fact we went in the this car to Salem to buy the Mini.
Smooth gears. I would always like to own a M1000 again
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-austin-m1000.jpg

This 1959 Morris Mini we bought from Salem. Dad had gifted this car to me as I always wanted a woody. I got the car restored. Very uncomfortable car to drive because of the suspension. Currently owned by Tonrag and should be back on the road soon. Glad that this car remains in Bangalore
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mini.jpg

This 1966 Amby was with my father whilst he worked in Kerala for the Ponmudi Tea & Rubber Co. The dash was its crowning glory!

Picture taken in 1967 as my mother posses in front of Vidhana Souda.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-amby.jpg
The Dash
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-amby-dash.jpg

Lastly here is the picture of the Zetor Tractor which was in the ancestral coffee estate in Coorg. This picture must be in the mid 1970's. Eventually I learn't to drive on this tractor. One season I ploughed the paddy fields too!
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-zetar.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2010, 22:08   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Some of the cars we used own in the past and two of them of my great/grandfathers cars. I have posted some of them before but I wanted post all together. I have posted it in order of the models
Lovely stuff, thanks for taking the time to share.

I see some special muffler on the Amby and Studey - whats the story?
Old 21st August 2010, 22:19   #1340
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I see some special muffler on the Amby and Studey - whats the story?
Hey Karl you have some observation powers. I remember this clearly in the Stude. It was a american design tail pipe attachment which dad got manufactured. It was a Turbo Vac Design. Dad cannot remember the principles of its working. It was dual funnel shaped

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:12   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Karl you have some observation powers. I remember this clearly in the Stude. It was a american design tail pipe attachment which dad got manufactured. It was a Turbo Vac Design. Dad cannot remember the principles of its working. It was dual funnel shaped

Cheers
Hey KPS,

We may have met sometime in the distant past, if you had stayed in the Ponmudi estate anytime. KLT 8940 is the key which makes me think so.

I have visited the estate several time as a kid with my parents, cousins, uncles etc, specially during summer holidays and other school holidays. Ponmudi as you know is the closest hill station from Trivandum (only 60 KMS)

My eldest cousin was the legal counsel for Ponmudi Estates and as such we as a family had some "previlage" to use the estates facilities like guesthose etc. The Amby KLT 8940 was with him for some time in the early 70s (71-73) for his use as there were a lot of legal wranglings going on with Ponmudi estates. I too remeber the car for its heavily instrumented dash.

By early 1980s it (the estate) was in a big legal mess and was under receivership and currently owner by a very cintraversial person, who was trying to sell it off to ISRO to set up the space sceinces college (enviromentally it would have been good)

I don't know if you recall there were couple of 1944 low bonnet ford Jeeps there too. By early 1980s, all the strpable parts from those jeeps were taken away by the unpaid workers there when i saw last they were sitting on wooden blocks in the garage to the right of the Estate Managers Bunglow.

Some memories! Thanks

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd August 2010 at 11:15.
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:20   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hey KPS,

We may have met sometime in the distant past, if you had stayed in the Ponmudi estate anytime. KLT 8940 is the key which makes me think so.

I have visited the estate several time as a kid with my parents, cousins, uncles etc, specially during summer holidays and other school holidays. Ponmudi as you know is the closest hill station from Trivandum (only 60 KMS)

My eldest cousin was the legal counsel for Ponmudi Estates and as such we as a family had some "previlage" to use the estates facilities like guesthose etc. The Amby KLT 8940 was with him for some time in the early 70s (71-73) for his use as there were a lot of legal wranglings going on with Ponmudi estates. I too remeber the car for its heavily instrumented dash.

By early 1980s it (the estate) was in a big legal mess and was under receivership and currently owner by a very cintraversial person, who was trying to sell it off to ISRO to set up the space sceinces college (enviromentally it would have been good)

I don't know if you recall there were couple of 1944 low bonnet ford Jeeps there too. By early 1980s, all the strpable parts from those jeeps were taken away by the unpaid workers there when i saw last they were sitting on wooden blocks in the garage to the right of the Estate Managers Bunglow.

Some memories! Thanks

Ram
ram,
are you sure this is the same estate ?
because the estate involved in the isro institute deal was the MERCHISTON estate owned by JAYSHREE TEA,whereas the BONACAUD estate is a different one which is having a lot of bank cases pending and was last owned by some marwari guy in Calcutta or so(not sure).
It was put up for auction many times by the banks .
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:18   #1343
BHPian

Hi KPS, Thanks for sharing nice pics of your family cars, we used to have similar Austin-10. Please share some pics and story of your black Wolseley-10 if possible.

Cheers!
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:44   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
This 1955 Studebaker Regal Champion was the all time favorite family car and Dad bought this in 1968-69. We practically lived in this car! I remember sleeping in the rear on the flat portion between the rear seat and rear wind screen. MYZ 451 (Coorg Number) was a well recognized as it used be driven by my mother and it was rare for a woman to drive such a big car daily. My mother would drop us to Sophia School every day. After dropping us off at school Mum would deliver vegetables to the wholesale market. We used in live in a farm then. At times the rear seat would be removed and the car would be filled with tomatoes more than half ton! I think we sold this car in 1978-79. Believed to be now scrapped. KPS
This brings back great memories. This is exactly what my grand dad used to do in his 1955 Studebaker Champion, he would load tomatoes from our farm and drive it to the regulated market in Mysore most days of the week, sometimes we kids would wake up early and accompany him so that we get a treat of idli sambar in Indira Bhavan after selling the tomatoes.
I have some pictures of the Studebaker somewhere, will dig it up and upload.
Cheers.
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:57   #1345
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hey KPS,

Some memories! Thanks

Ram
Hi Ram/Ajay,

Showed your posts to my Dad and this is what he says

Both Bonaccord and Ponnumudi Estates were owned by Ponnumudi & Tea Rubber Company, registered in UK. They sold the Ponnumudi Rubber Estate and retained the Tea Estates. Their Group General Manager who was British Mr. Jack W Lawrence used to be based in the Terramia Estates in Nilgiris. He used to have a 1954 Dodge Convertible. He would visit the Ponnumudi & Bonaccord Estates and would drive down every time!

Here is a travelogue to Bonaccord. The estate has been shut for the past few years due to labour problems
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-bonacaud.html

The Ponnumudi Tea Estate was just after the Merchiston Tea Estate on way to Ponnumudi Hills. Bonaccord was sold to the Bansali's who also owned some tea estates in the Nilgiris. My father remembers the legal council but he cannot recollect the name other than he was in in his late 50's. My father worked during the peak of EMS's rule and to spend a lot of hours in the labour department. Dad was in Ponnumudi from 1965 to 1968, He was based in Bonaccord only for 6 months in 1966.

On the cars he says that Ponnumudi has a 1966 short chassis Willis Jeep which not a low bonnet. There was also had an older Willis Pick-Up which was used in emergencies as an ambulance. Double garages was next to the bungalow. Dad says KLT 8940 was part of Ponnumudi Estates

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd August 2010, 23:28   #1346
Senior - BHPian

KPS,

I was talking about Ponmudi Estates only. I was under the impression that it is now under the ownership of same person who owns the Merchiston Estates and the ISRO Contravesy was concerning the land of Ponmudi Estates which is with the owners of Merchiston now. I thought that since the average elevation of Ponmudi Est was heigher than that of Merchiston, may be ISRO was looking for that portion.

I could be wrong as pointed out by Ajay.

The Bonnaccord went to the Jayasree Tea Estates group a while ago. I don't know who is the current owner.

The jeeps I was taling about I saw them last in 1982, again my memmory could be wrong. One of the I think had a 3 digit KLT registration (that I remeber clearly - but not the digits itself) so it would definitely be from the late 40s or early 50s. I am sure that the Ponmudi Teas Estates Co was incorporated in UK in late 1800s and has been in existence since then. So older vehicles are a possibility and may have been transferred to Ponmudi estates (for eg from Bonnaccord) after your dad left the place.

Then again I could be wrong!

Any way its a pity that you let go of the Triumphs and Matchless.

I have a moder triump with me - Bonneville 2009

Circumstances often makes people behave strangely! Right?

Ram
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:31   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting pictures from old Hyderabad
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bfbd9cfc019ecb23_landing.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-e5e217c70dffe852_landing.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-b0a2af3c3ef045dc_landing.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 17:15   #1348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Some interesting pictures from old Hyderabad
Interesting stuff, where did you get these from? Any more information on them?

The last picture is particularly interesting, it could possibly have been shot during WW2. The trailer is of an older design than the Jeep, and in the corner you can see a Humber, maybe with Nizam connections. The setting looks to be possibly a Race Course. Perhaps these were American G.I.s?
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:15   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting stuff, where did you get these from? Any more information on them?

The last picture is particularly interesting, it could possibly have been shot during WW2. The trailer is of an older design than the Jeep, and in the corner you can see a Humber, maybe with Nizam connections. The setting looks to be possibly a Race Course. Perhaps these were American G.I.s?

Hi Karl.

Got these pictures from a link sent tome ny a friend that has a load of other old pictures related to Hyderabad. There is not much info availabe on these.

The picture where you see the rear of a late twenties tourer is said to have been taken in Aurangabad.

The second picture is taken just inside the main gate of the Public Gardens showing people entering the path that leads to the mosque there

The last picture is probably of a group of US journalist and not army personelle as they appear in civilian clotheas and are equiped with cameras.

What I can tell for sure is that the picture is taken on Tank Bund in Hyderabad as the railing behind them is clearly from there. It is still the same as shown in this picture.

Last edited by wasif : 23rd August 2010 at 18:19.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:11   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any guesses which is the car in the front?
No one managed? This is an Opel Record Olympia 1964/65. We still have our car, it is a two door sedan.

Quote:
That is a Ford Corsair, see the reference image (of a Corsair that used to rot in Pune)
Definitely a Corsair, but there appears to be a difference in the windshield, maybe original was broken and something was altered to fit. A white Corsair in Mumbai had that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Karl.

Got these pictures from a link sent to me by a friend that has a load of other old pictures related to Hyderabad. There is not much info availabe on these. The picture where you see the rear of a late twenties tourer is said to have been taken in Aurangabad.
The last picture is probably of a group of US journalist and not army personel as they appear in civilian clotheas and are equiped with cameras.
What I can tell for sure is that the picture is taken on Tank Bund in Hyderabad as the railing behind them is clearly from there. It is still the same as shown in this picture.
Wasif, do you have a clearer picture of the tourer in Aurangabad so as to be able to read the number?
The US journalists seem to have been in Hyderabad due to some occasion, and I can also identify the Tank Bund, is that not where Hotel Viceroy used to be? Was there any biggish event in Hyderabad say after 1945 which may have attracted such journalists? It appears that the sign "PRESS USA" was locally made, the flag and lettering are very crude. One can think that press from other contries may also have been present.

Here is another filmy family picture, can anyone identify the hero, villian, joker?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-filmi-03-jpg.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks