Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:39   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is another older Filmy picture, the car is a 1957 Plymouth. The first two digits on the number plate are not legible, then we can see ??M 9459. The lettering is very crude.
Now, which film and who are the stars?
Nice pic. The alphabet looks like B though? The lettering being crude, is obviously a fake regn.

The stars standing by the car are Jayaprada and Vinod Mehra. 'cant identify the older actress with the glasses.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:42   #1367
BHPian

Stas are Vinod Mehara,Jayaprada
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:19   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is another older Filmy picture, the car is a 1957 Plymouth. The first two digits on the number plate are not legible, then we can see ??M 9459. The lettering is very crude.
It looks more like xxB than xxM. Either ways, the crude lettering is almost surely because it would be a dummy plate for the movie.

Incidentally I'm told decades back someone in my family bought a Fiat from Vinod Mehra
Old 7th September 2010, 12:10   #1369
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a neat concept I came across here - worth a look.
The Indian Memory Project

I did find an absolute gem

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-untitled.jpg

Description is
"Dad and his car, he called it SWIFT, 1932, Bangalore"

Registration appears to read B.A. 21?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2010, 12:56   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Description is
"Dad and his car, he called it SWIFT, 1932, Bangalore" Registration appears to read B.A. 21?
Lovely picture. Dr. V. Mallya has a car similar to this, and I believe that it was found in south India, probably in Kerala.
I would say that the number was 3 digit, one number hidden by the starter handle. The car should be of around 1920.

Cheers harit
Old 8th September 2010, 18:39   #1371
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Indian Memory Project

I did find an absolute gem

Attachment 419777
Really gem.

I like the home grown solution in the tube flap before the stepney to stop it getting all the muck from the road coming through the gap.

Cheers

KPS
Old 8th September 2010, 20:57   #1372
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
who are the stars?
The actor is Vinod Mehra and the lady in the centre looks a bit like Jaya Prada but maybe not
Old 14th September 2010, 14:52   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Here are two pictures of mine put up in The Automobile, September 2010 issue.
On the Minerva you will see those square side lights.
In the text there is a mention of the crest, that was very interesting.
More interesting is that I have a postcard of a Charablanc, open 40 odd seater busses of around the 1920's, standing in front of the Brandenburg gate in Berlin. Picture is of about 1925. And the gent sitting in the bus appears to be one of those in both these pics.
The Automobile also mentions in their August 2010 issue that an Alfa Romeo 1750 came to India, brought by a lieutenant of the British Army. Maybe the Indore car?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-magazine-035.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 03:19   #1374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are two pictures of mine put up in The Automobile, September 2010 issue.
The Automobile also mentions in their August 2010 issue that an Alfa Romeo 1750 came to India, brought by a lieutenant of the British Army. Maybe the Indore car?

Cheers harit
Harit:
This was not the Indore car as best as I know it. Maybe it is the one in the attachment / link below (8C-2300 Monza; Chassis # 2311206):
source and credits: Sports Car Illustrated and christopherleydon.com

The entire article can be viewed below:
Christopher Leydon's website

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-alfa-romeo-8c2300.jpg

A few excerpts from the article:
"Schonwald's Alfa, as might be expected of any pre-war Alfa, has an interesting history. In June of 1933, the Alfa was purchased by the Balestrero family, which registered chassis no. 2311206 at the Public Motor Vehicle Registry Office.

Shortly after, another English officer by the name of Jimmy Braid shipped the car to India, and there sold it to Maharaja Myrasingh of Ranchi. What Myrasingh did with the Alfa is unclear, aside from the fact that he was very attached to it, and finally let it go to an American engineer in Calcutta by the name of Howard Jackson. A good driver and an enthusiast with a keen eye for classics, Jackson came to know many of the Indian princes, including one who owned 136 Rolls-Royces. This prince told Jackson about a Bugatti he had purchased, still in good condition. It took about four years, but finally Jackson got a look at the "Bugatti," and found instead that it was an Alfa Monza. Jackson offered a Fiat 1100 sedan and a Lambretta motor scooter in trade for the Monza. The Maharaja went out to the garage and started up the Alfa. "You take the Alfa and I'll take your car," the prince had said. "Money didn't really enter into it," Jackson recalled. "I believe he would have given me the car except he thought he saved me face by trading with me. That's the way the Rajs were. Selling something was beneath them, in a way."

After successfully racing the Alfa in various events around Calcutta, Jackson came back to the States in 1963, and sold it. It passed through a number of hands, essentially in non-running condition. By 1979, current owner Schonwald had accumulated a sizable collection of cars, and traded part of his existing stable"

The car's ownership by Raja Myrasingh is also documented in the book "Alfa Romeo - A History" by Peter Hull and Roy Slater

Last edited by travancore : 15th September 2010 at 03:32.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:51   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Harit:
This was not the Indore car as best as I know it. Maybe it is the one in the attachment / link below (8C-2300 Monza; Chassis # 2311206):
Hi Travancore,
I am aware of this Monza, now in the US, but I am talking of a different car. A 1750. If anyone can give the chassis no of the Indore car, we can compare. This car was brought to India by a Lieutenant, I am not familiar with army ranks to know whether that makes him an officer.
Many of these cars had landed up in Ethiopia, which was under Italy, and during WW II they lost to the British. That is how some of these cars became British owned, and one Lieutenant brought one to India.
More can be read in The Automobile, August issue.

Cheers Harit
PS I was hoping that kasli would post a picture of the Alfa.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:58   #1376
Senior - BHPian

So apart from the Indore 8C 2900 that is documented and seen at pebble Beach now there is no on a 8C2300 Monza that was in Ranchi.

Then there is the third Alfa with the missing engine still in India so could this be teh car you are refering to Harit ? The Gurney Nutting bodied car ? I so dearly want to see pictures of it.

I have seen pics of a late twenties Alfa RL that is also credited to have connections with Indian Royalty.

Can anyone put a figure on how many of these Alfa's from the classic period ever came to India ? In my opinion the classic Alfa period ended just when the WW2 started.

Harit.

I missed buying eh Aug issue of Automobile as I was travelling. Would you be able to send me a scan of the said article.

Last edited by wasif : 15th September 2010 at 10:59.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:20   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Here is a childs pedal car. I have a similar one in my collection.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-kid-car-01.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 21:12   #1378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a childs pedal car. I have a similar one in my collection.
Wow, that's cute! Going by the way the photo's been retouched with colour (an old procedure)

The kid looks just like my niece btw!
Old 18th September 2010, 22:49   #1379
Distinguished - BHPian

Since baby pictures seem to be flavour of the month, here is one from a friend's family albums

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chrysler01.jpg
Old 27th September 2010, 13:57   #1380
BHPian

[quote=karlosdeville;2074680]Since baby pictures seem to be flavour of the month, here is one from a friend's family album

Well to be part of the flavour of the month, here are me and my mom, taken I guess in June 1955.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-shahid1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks