Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:11   #616
BHPian

Alvis,
I have seen a few car photo scans on the Pakwheels website that look VERY much like 50s photos of 50s cars, are definitely taken in Karachi and they have KAM registrations. I am starting to think that in the early post partition days, some Karachi letters were allocated out of squence or more likely by area as is standard in India and was standard in pre partition British India??
I also have a photo of KAG 13 (famous on the Pakwheels site) that is a late 60s Mustang I think but KAF 935 on a 50s Cadillac rusting away.
Confusion, confusion!
Cheers
Cedric
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:15   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Confusion, confusion!
Allow me to add to or clear up some of it.

The picture I posted of the Land Rover KAM 3043 has my grandfather standing next to it. The family left Karachi (and) Pakistan in the early 50s, around '53 I believe, so the picture was definitely taken before that.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:45   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Alvis,
I have seen a few car photo scans on the Pakwheels website that look VERY much like 50s photos of 50s cars, are definitely taken in Karachi and they have KAM registrations. I am starting to think that in the early post partition days, some Karachi letters were allocated out of squence or more likely by area as is standard in India and was standard in pre partition British India??
I also have a photo of KAG 13 (famous on the Pakwheels site) that is a late 60s Mustang I think but KAF 935 on a 50s Cadillac rusting away.
Confusion, confusion!
Cheers
Cedric
Cedric, All

I really doubt very much that KAM would be Karachi or it would have been used out of turn. Somehow I feel it is a pre partition Indian location. More confusion!!
You are right about the KAG 13 Mustang, that would be 1968. When our Bentley came to Karachi it carried HA 818, it was re registered as KAG 2302 in 1968.
Our Lancia Flaminia Touring was imported in 1966 and carried KAF series.
The Lincoln Continental convertible owned by Mohsin Ikram, was brought to Karachi in 1955 by my uncle carrying a Peshawar registration, which was then changed to a KAB series.
The 50,s Cadiallac you refer to would have been re registered if it was to be based in Karachi long term.

There are still a number of Mazda 1500's and Toyota Coronas carrying the KAM series which puts it squarely in time period 1970 to 1972. Also the question of this series ( KAM ) being used previously is then in doubt

Take care
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:41   #619
Senior - BHPian

A picture of a Vintage car with 'him'at the wheel. Unfortunately they did not put the car properly in the picture. It is a 7-seater tourer, apparently has wooden spoke wheels. I thought of Fiat, not sure, perhaps a Chevy?

Please comment and give opinions.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vintage-1.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2009, 18:58   #620

Tank Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Just as an aside, the entire Tank polo team was made up of the Nawab and his seven sons, and was named the Tank Brothers.

Hello everyone, I have enjoyed going through all the posts. I have joined primarily to inform all members that there seems to be a confusion about the Nawab of Tank family. I do know that there was one such family in Hyderabad but that the State was called Tonk. Tank was a state in Waziristan, i.e. in the North West Frontier Region of Pakistan today. The last Nawab (my grandfather) had seven sons and this made two polo teams. Polo was played every Friday and it was them who were called the Tank Brothers. I can send you numerous pictures of them playing polo. My father went on to captain the Pakistan team and last played in India in 1954 in the Nehru Cup with legends such Hunoot Singh etc. He has obviously retired now. The family was recognised for shooting as well and Nawab Quttubadin's (my grandfather) name is recorded at Monte Carlo as early as 1934 as World Number Two. The State nolonger exists but our Forts are in tact and our vehicles won the All Pakistan Antique Vehicle's show. I myself am a four wheel drive fanatic and have recently rebuilt a 1944 Willys. The reason for putting the information about the Tank Brothers in was just to clear up any confusion. I hope am still welcome on the forum, I would enjoy exchanging information about vehicles and guns.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th August 2009 at 18:04.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:17   #621
BHPian

Yesterday i read some articale on Pune's prominant lady driver who have 1937 model austin 7. Karl knows her very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-picture_001.jpg  

Old 4th August 2009, 17:38   #622
Senior - BHPian

While doing some research in my office archives I managed to shell out some photos of the Nariman Point area from 1972-73 when it was being developed, couple of Dukar Fiats and miscellaneous buses etc visisble. But most intriguing is the Air India Building coming up clearly visble here along with express towers and the Oberoi Hotel.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photograph.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photograph-2.jpg  

Old 4th August 2009, 18:05   #623
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod :

Post #620 from Tariq, regarding "The Tank Brothers" merged into this thread.

cya
R
Old 5th August 2009, 00:37   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq View Post
Hello everyone, I have enjoyed going through all the posts. I have joined primarily to inform all members that there seems to be a confusion about the Nawab of Tank family. I do know that there was one such family in Hyderabad but that the State was called Tonk. Tank was a state in Waziristan, i.e. in the North West Frontier Region of Pakistan today. The last Nawab (my grandfather) had seven sons and this made two polo teams. Polo was played every Friday and it was them who were called the Tank Brothers. I can send you numerous pictures of them playing polo. My father went on to captain the Pakistan team and last played in India in 1954 in the Nehru Cup with legends such Hunoot Singh etc. He has obviously retired now. The family was recognised for shooting as well and Nawab Quttubadin's (my grandfather) name is recorded at Monte Carlo as early as 1934 as World Number Two. The State nolonger exists but our Forts are in tact and our vehicles won the All Pakistan Antique Vehicle's show. I myself am a four wheel drive fanatic and have recently rebuilt a 1944 Willys. The reason for putting the information about the Tank Brothers in was just to clear up any confusion. I hope am still welcome on the forum, I would enjoy exchanging information about vehicles and guns.
Hello Tariq,
Very interesting. Do you have any photographs of the family members with some cars in the picture? Even in background would do.

Cheers harit
Old 5th August 2009, 10:53   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Cedric, All

I really doubt very much that KAM would be Karachi or it would have been used out of turn. Somehow I feel it is a pre partition Indian location. More confusion!!
You are right about the KAG 13 Mustang, that would be 1968. When our Bentley came to Karachi it carried HA 818, it was re registered as KAG 2302 in 1968.
Our Lancia Flaminia Touring was imported in 1966 and carried KAF series.
The Lincoln Continental convertible owned by Mohsin Ikram, was brought to Karachi in 1955 by my uncle carrying a Peshawar registration, which was then changed to a KAB series.
The 50,s Cadiallac you refer to would have been re registered if it was to be based in Karachi long term.

There are still a number of Mazda 1500's and Toyota Coronas carrying the KAM series which puts it squarely in time period 1970 to 1972. Also the question of this series ( KAM ) being used previously is then in doubt

Take care

Alvis,
Unfortunately, the Landie KAM 3043 could not have arrived in the sub-continent until 1948 at the very earliest as they were not available until then. The prototype Landies were built in 1947 and the production model went on sale to the public in July or August 1948 if I remember. Even assuming it is one of the prototypes send to India for testing, it could not be before 1948.
The number is 100% post partition and I would guess the vehicle is an early one - maybe 1949 or 1950 - which ties in with Karl's family history.
KAM (& I suspect others) was definitely issued in the late 40s (post partition) and very early 50s and I would have to guess the Pakistani system changed from a location based third letter to a purely serial letter sometime in the 50s. Since the pre-partition British India system was to have the third letter according to location, it is reasonable to assume that when they set up the Indian and Pakistani systems, they followed this principle. They certainly did in India.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 5th August 2009, 11:40   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq View Post
Hello everyone, I have enjoyed going through all the posts. The reason for putting the information about the Tank Brothers in was just to clear up any confusion. I hope am still welcome on the forum, I would enjoy exchanging information about vehicles and guns.
Hello Tariq, of course you are welcome here. We'll enjoy all the information you bring us on the vehicles in your neck of the woods. Am sure you'll also find a thread on guns in the 'Shifting gears' part of the forum, or create one if it isn't there, with the mods permission of course. For all you know, there could be one on roses too!

Cheers, Prabal
Old 5th August 2009, 15:26   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

A large tourer is visible in this period shot of Quetta in the British Raj

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-quet.jpg

199 viceroy visi Earthq on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 5th August 2009, 16:48   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A large tourer is visible in this period shot of Quetta in the British Raj

Attachment 170144

199 viceroy visi Earthq on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Probably a Buick, 1937/38, assumption based on past thread and the looks of the car.

Cheers harit
Old 5th August 2009, 19:06   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A large tourer is visible in this period shot of Quetta in the British Raj Attachment 170144199 viceroy visi Earthq on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Probably a Buick, 1937/38, assumption based on past thread and the looks of the car.Cheers harit
Looks like a Buick to me as well, although I'd think more 1934/35 Phaeton (Series 60 or 90), but the photograph itself looks rather contrived, like a film set. The people look like either they have been planted there or they are out to promenade, dressed variously. Nobody seems too bothered about the Quetta earthquake!! Another thing, has this thread moved on from being about cars from the family albums or an acquired set from somebody else's to just any old pix out there? Been wondering for a while, asking now. Just curious, for better understanding.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:10   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Another thing, has this thread moved on from being about cars from the family albums or an acquired set from somebody else's to just any old pix out there? Been wondering for a while, asking now. Just curious, for better understanding.
We have been scratching our heads on the same issue, we hope to have clarity on it soon. Suggestions are always welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks