Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 16:40   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Now friends, since the albums are old, with most of the pictures pasted on, and under my wife's custody, I have snapped a few photos which would be of similar or slightly worse quality than the Standard 2000 snaps.

Should I post them?
As I've said before, blurred/poor quality pictures are always better than no pictures at all. We look forward to them.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:58   #722
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, heres a pic that is really valuable to me.
My Grand father is seen in this pic on his father's lap seated in the rear. In the front, at the wheel is a Holy Man who, some thought to be a saint, Sant Attar Singhji. Seated next to him is my grandfather's brother. Another brother of his is seated on the running board below the rear door. Gandpa was the youngest of 10 kids. He must have supported family planning considering the fact that my Dad is the only child

The person seated on the running board in the front side was their family Munimji who handled the money and accounts.

It was those times when having a car was a great thing so the whole town actually came to see it in a period of two to three days.

The picture is taken when my grandfather was around 5 years, that makes it taken in 1922-23.

The car looks to be a LHD open tourer. The car was recently purchased, so the holy man came to give his blessings. The place was in the galli, between their houses in Rawal Pindi, which is now in Pakistan.

Hope someone can recognise the car. Many times i asked him but he could not remember this particular car. He did remember Cadillacs and Buicks as favoured rides of his father but alas no pics of them.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-darji.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 28th August 2009 at 19:02. Reason: adding
Old 28th August 2009, 20:58   #723
Senior - BHPian

1991 Padmini

My 1991 Premier Padmini Economy. Picture removed just few months after we bought in Manipal. The darkened person is me, I just did not want me to be there in the Pic so i had darkened it back then.

Features of Economy Model were White bumpers with full rubber bumper guards, Black seats and door pads, a hexagon shaped black grill, orange parking lenses, no steel wheel caps(but my dad put them), no wind shield washer, no magazine pouch, no quarter glass. Basically it was a base model. The next model was Padmini Standard.

I still have this car, driven just 34000 kms. I am restoring it like Fiat Delight.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0036.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 28th August 2009 at 20:59.
Old 29th August 2009, 13:18   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
My 1991 Premier Padmini Economy. Picture removed just few months after we bought in Manipal. The darkened person is me, I just did not want me to be there in the Pic so i had darkened it back then.

Features of Economy Model were White bumpers with full rubber bumper guards, Black seats and door pads, a hexagon shaped black grill, orange parking lenses, no steel wheel caps(but my dad put them), no wind shield washer, no magazine pouch, no quarter glass. Basically it was a base model. The next model was Padmini Standard.

I still have this car, driven just 34000 kms. I am restoring it like Fiat Delight.

some minor corrections- not white but painted bumpers( bumpers were painted the same colour as the car.
honey comb type plastic grill whereas the deluxe-be model had metal grill
all variants had no quarter glass since 1987,not particular to economy models
other differences,only rubber weatherstrip on front and rear windshield,
air filter was of different type,
no side indicator lights
No reverse lights,
hope behramji and karl will give more precise info
Old 29th August 2009, 14:49   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi all, heres a pic that is really valuable to me.
My Grand father is seen in this pic on his father's lap seated in the rear. In the front, at the wheel is a Holy Man who, some thought to be a saint, Sant Attar Singhji. Seated next to him is my grandfather's brother. Another brother of his is seated on the running board below the rear door. Gandpa was the youngest of 10 kids. He must have supported family planning considering the fact that my Dad is the only child

The person seated on the running board in the front side was their family Munimji who handled the money and accounts.

It was those times when having a car was a great thing so the whole town actually came to see it in a period of two to three days.

The picture is taken when my grandfather was around 5 years, that makes it taken in 1922-23.

The car looks to be a LHD open tourer. The car was recently purchased, so the holy man came to give his blessings. The place was in the galli, between their houses in Rawal Pindi, which is now in Pakistan.

Hope someone can recognise the car. Many times i asked him but he could not remember this particular car. He did remember Cadillacs and Buicks as favoured rides of his father but alas no pics of them.

Attachment 181611
Lovely picture, Gogi. You have also identified possibly two persons to be Gogi Singh
I have forwarded this to a Guru for identification, let us wait.
About this car being LHD, I have a doubt. Similar problem concerns a picture of a Renault featured in prewarcar.com. This car could be RHD.
Perhaps this picture should also be shifted to the Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India thread. Never mind that it is a nostalgic picture.

Cheers harit
Old 29th August 2009, 15:09   #726
Senior - BHPian

I am posting a photo of a building with a nice car in the forground. Can anyone identify the building? Seems to be in Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-unidentified-bldg.jpg  

Old 29th August 2009, 15:22   #727
Senior - BHPian

Did we ever see that vintages and classics had accidents too? Here is such a pic of a Ford 1947. The car probably rolled. I have pics of a bashed up Austin 7, Austin 10, Styer, Chevy Fleetmaster, a truck rammed into a wall, another such Ford dashed into a Morris/Hindustan etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ford-accident-1.jpg  

Old 29th August 2009, 15:25   #728
Senior - BHPian

A cute little Austin 7 probably somewhere in north west frontier based on the numberplate. Any feedback from Sabinesnubbing will be welcomed. Never seen a mix of these alphabets with arab numericals.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-austin-arabic.jpg  

Old 29th August 2009, 21:53   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am posting a photo of a building with a nice car in the forground. Can anyone identify the building? Seems to be in Mumbai.
It does look a li'l bit like the building at the corner, at Haji Ali circle - when you come from the race course road, and take a left to head for tardeo.
But something says it's not quite that one..
Alternatively, it also looks like Kamani House on Pedder road, at the corner of the Carmichael road exit.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 29th August 2009 at 21:55.
Old 29th August 2009, 21:59   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am confident this is Mariwala's house at Haji ali junction, difficult to recognize now as many modifications and changes have taken place to the original Art deco building. I will post some pics that I have to match the building on Monday.

Congratulations you have a very rare picture.

Last edited by the mole : 29th August 2009 at 22:01.
Old 29th August 2009, 22:27   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
some minor corrections- not white but painted bumpers( bumpers were painted the same colour as the car.
honey comb type plastic grill whereas the deluxe-be model had metal grill
all variants had no quarter glass since 1987,not particular to economy models
other differences,only rubber weatherstrip on front and rear windshield,
air filter was of different type,
no side indicator lights
No reverse lights,
hope behramji and karl will give more precise info
Few things you have mentioned are wrong.
- Both windshield rubber had garnish on it.
- Reverse lights were there.
Old 30th August 2009, 01:17   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I guessed it as Khairatabad/Lakdikapul- that's the Dwaraka Hotel at the corner, still the same but not as pristine in appearance! (Incidentally, a year later, my parents had stayed there for a few days on moving to hyd. until they rented a house in Chikkadpally) And when you take the lane that goes past Dwaraka to the right in the pic., it goes to Meera talkies (now Sensations)...I got it right?
BTW, there still is 2-way traffic allowed on that road (goes upto the Secratariat) Only difference I find is there is no divider unlike now.
The roads of that time look better than the current ones though!
I'm sorry I got it a bit wrong! I took this as the view of Dwaraka seen from the other side, across the road where Hampshire plaza now stands.......until I happened to go to that area this evening! I realized that the curvy side is of the 'front', just as you come down from Lakdikapul and take the left (road seen in the right in this pic.) to go up towards Secratariat, tank bund etc.
And yes, the road is now one-way, with a small 2-wheeler parking near the spot where the signal is.

The other building on the extreme right doesnt exist anymore though, it seems to have been demolished for road-widening. Behind it is where the Hampshire plaza hotel now stands.

Incidentally, the Dwaraka is owned by a Kannada family, in-laws of one of my dad's old friends/colleague.

Last edited by Stanher : 30th August 2009 at 01:18.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:27   #733
BHPian

Harit,
NICE picture of the Austin. SC is a code that does not appear on my lists (1902-39) anywhere but because of the Urdu writing - 2756, that is different from regular Arabic, I would have to say it is somewhere now in Pakistan. The list of Pakistani codes from 1947 on that I have is pretty good and the only town name that could fit in with CS that I can see would be Charsadda in NWFP. However I am guessing and I have no idea if Charsadda was the name of the place in the 1920s.

These old 1920s/30s plates can be a problem. This one below is the biggest problem of the lot for me. I found it on the Images of Empire website and it is captioned Dr. Tweedie, Assam, 1935. So what is DJ81PC!!?? or is it DJ8IPC.

Anyway, I hope you find more about the Austin and where it was from and please let me know if you do find out.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ind-1902-dj-81pc-unknownioe-photo-dr-tweedie-assam-1935.jpg  

Old 31st August 2009, 11:31   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
looks like a 1949-51 Ford Prefect. My dad had one in the 70s, sold a year before I was born in '81. This model also came with a sunroof.
Hi,

thanks for that information about the car .Appreciate it.

regards,

Uday
Tuchha
Old 31st August 2009, 13:21   #735
Senior - BHPian

Guess maro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
These old 1920s/30s plates can be a problem. This one below is the biggest problem of the lot for me. I found it on the Images of Empire website and it is captioned Dr. Tweedie, Assam, 1935. So what is DJ81PC!!?? or is it DJ8IPC.

Anyway, I hope you find more about the Austin and where it was from and please let me know if you do find out.
Cheers
Cedric
Cedric,

Allow me to hazard a guess. The present Assam Rifles was known as the "Indian paramilitary corps" during British rule. To this day, one of its units is based at Dinjan in Assam.

Is it possible that the DJ stands for Dinjan, and IPC for Indian Paramilitary corps?

Again, let me clarify that this is purely a guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks