Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 02:10   #661
Senior - BHPian

Perfect. That does look like a coronet especially those small lights and the boot monogramme. Read my thoughts mate. An early fifties.
Old 9th August 2009, 10:37   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Very doubtful if KAM was an Indian no. Have not come across this anywhere except for this lot of pics. There is one more KAM registered Singer Roadster of around 1950.
BTW, was there an "Eastern Automobiles" at The Mall in Lahore? And did they sell Jeeps?
Will try to get to the end of this KAM mystery, and yes there was an "Eastern Automobiles" on the Mall in Lahore. They also had a very big setup in Karachi also and were one of the major importers. I'm not sure if they were the agents for Jeep, will try to find out. They have ceased to be in business because the real estate value of their workshops in Lahore and Karachi attracted the builders 'mafia' and now there is a high rise going up where their workshops used to be!!

Take care
Old 9th August 2009, 10:41   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Does this look like a Standard? This is an Indian Officer posing with in what i believe is Burma, with his Burmese counterpart. Rb would be a Burmese regd number.
Indeed a Flying 8. Cedric can tell us more on the regn.

Quote:
Posing at Churchgate amongst a Morris, Dodges and Chevy?? Karl, recognize the number???.

Attachment 171511
Stills taken from the movie taxi driver. I think I recently posted them somewhere. Have entered the numbers in my database, no match yet.

Quote:
The Prince of Wales Seaman's Club at Ballard Estate in Mumbai. What car is that? Too hazy but a prominent nose. Which car does that remind you of...?? Could it be the Elusive Graham??

Attachment 171517

EDIT- sorry the watermark is getting in the way of the view of the car
Here is an edited image. Not too clear. It might be a sharknose Graham, but it could just as well be a 39 Dodge too.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-graham-prince-wales-seamans-club.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dodge01.jpg

Quote:
Eros theatre flanked by a Morris, A Jag and a Hillman or two?

Attachment 171514
As discussed earlier elsewhere, next to the Hillman may be a Kaiser.

Quote:

And has this pic of Marine dirve been posted before??

Attachment 171512
I had posted a larger version of this famous picture earlier, I had recieved it in an email forward dating the picture to 1930, though we even see later Morris Minors in it. As there are no dukkars, I assume photo was around 50-51.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th August 2009 at 19:31. Reason: All bold text removed. (Any reason for it?)
Old 9th August 2009, 11:05   #664
BHPian

Gents,
A lovely picture of RB 6703. R, RA and RB were Rangoon (Burma) numbers in the British India system until 1937 when Burma was detached (the official decription) from British India and administered separately. From 1937 onwards, RB continued to be issued followed by RC and RD until 1953 when the system changed to having Burmese script on the plates.
I would guess that RB 6703 should indeed be an early post war number.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 9th August 2009, 11:53   #665
BHPian

Our Vaxhaul Car - 1956

This is the Picture of a Vaxhaul Wyvern car we had around 1956 in Malaya. That's my younger brother standing against the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-our-vaxhaul-car.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 13:55   #666
BHPian

The picture posted by Karlosdeville on page 43 is of South Block & not the Red Fort. You can also see the dome of the Rashtrapati Bhavan in the middle distance on the right - just above the rise of Raisina Hill
Old 9th August 2009, 13:57   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
This is the Picture of a Vaxhaul Wyvern car we had around 1956 in Malaya. That's my younger brother standing against the car.
A lovely pic. indeed! BTW, going by the SR number, I presume this was in Singapore? In that year of course, it must've still been included under "Malaya", having become an independent country only in 1965.

Singapore did have some lovely old cars back in the day; unfortunately few of them are seen once more than 10 years old, thanks to their (rather unfair!) laws that make it near to impossible to retain older vehicles on the roads!
Continuing on this, here are some nice old photos of various parts of SG I found on flickr. I was particularly intrigued by the ones showing Lambrettas and fiat 1100s:

33 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: North Bridge Street, Singapore 1960s
Old 9th August 2009, 14:53   #668
BHPian

Sudharma & Stanher.
I have just looked it up and SR would indeed be a mid to late 50s Singapore number. Can't get a better date on it sadly.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 9th August 2009, 21:56   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That really is a shame that even in this day and age a one owner Hillman Minx should get scrapped. Do share some photos of the car if the owners have. What was the regn number and colour?
Dear sir, the regd no was something like BMU but I am confirming it was 5505, colour was always black all the while very very sad situation , and even today they are not at all sad about their car which was with them for sooo long.
Old 11th August 2009, 04:35   #670
BHPian

This was our 3rd car. The 1st being a Morris Minor ( Reg. No. AJ-13.) This was sold and another car was bought around '52-'53. This was a Austin A-50. This was involved in a crash within a couple of months after it was bought. Fortunately 6 of us escaped with minor injuries. The car was a total wreck. Then the vaxhaul was bought. So i think it was 1953. We were in Johore, Malaysia and the car might have been bought in Singapore and use in Johore.
Old 11th August 2009, 10:59   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here goes round 2

Another Buick, a later car this time.

Attachment 3862

Some unidentified cars over the years. Help in identification would be greatly appreceated.

Attachment 3858

Attachment 3859

Attachment 3860

Attachment 3861

Attachment 3863

These 3 were taken on their many travels abroad. The first picture of the black car was taken in Nice, France.

Attachment 3866

This one I assume was taken in Germany or Austria.

Attachment 3867

This is amongst my favorites. Appears to be Italy, and I think I read Lancia on the wheel.

Attachment 3868
This refer to post no 18 by Karl on 26th March 2008.
There is a picture of the tourists sitting in an open type bus for sight-seeing. Karl assumes it to be in Germany or Austria.
Well, I recently got a lot of 4 pictures of similar busses, and one of them is also Hofmanns. For sake of ease, I have reposted Karl's picture first, followed bu my picture. It seems that it was a practice or an option to take a group photo of the people who travelled in these busses, the camera focussed on the people, not on the vehicle. SO till more photos pop up, we will not know which make is involved. The person who travelled and from whom the photos have come had a name starting with 'C' and he is marked in another photo.
Now we know the following:
The city involved is Dresden, formely in East Germany, heavily bombed during the world war.
We see the second side of the bus. It is probably the same bus, or if there was a fleet of them, then a similar bus. But nevertheless, we see the other side. Size of the doors is similar, the handles too, Karl's pic shows a stepney, my pic shows where it could have been as there is a rounded outline, rear wheels are the same, apperture at rear door is similar.
On my photo it is written "Rundfahrt durch Gross - Dresden 1929", basically city tour through Gross (big)- Dresden.
On another photo there is a smaller bus, also open tourer type, which says tour through the "Saechs. Schweiz 1929" I checked and found out that near Dresden the area was called as such, the Switzerland is Sachsen, the state over there. Called so probably because of natural surroundings, not chocolates and watches.
In the other picture a whole place is filled with tourist busses, but they are in the background and not clearly visible.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hofmann.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hofmann-2.jpg  

Old 11th August 2009, 19:43   #672
Senior - BHPian

Calcutta of the 1940s

Some pics of Kolkata in the 1940s:

Esplanade in the 1940s. The white car in the forefront looks to be something big, like a Studebaker Phaeton?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-old-calcuttachowringheesquare.jpg

Grand Hotel. The facade of the hotel survives in the same way to this day. The Double Decker seems to be a forward engined model. More pics of double deckers here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1427169

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-old-calcuttagrand-hotelcalcutta-circa-1945.jpg

Metro Cinema, the last surviving bastion of colonial movie theatres in the multiplex jungle. What model is the car standing in front? What interests me more is the ad for the Dodge Power Wagon to the top right.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-old-calcuttametro-cinema-1945.jpg

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 11th August 2009 at 19:45.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:45   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This refer to post no 18 by Karl on 26th March 2008.
There is a picture of the tourists sitting in an open type bus for sight-seeing. Karl assumes it to be in Germany or Austria.
Well, I recently got a lot of 4 pictures of similar busses, and one of them is also Hofmanns. For sake of ease, I have reposted Karl's picture first, followed bu my picture. It seems that it was a practice or an option to take a group photo of the people who travelled in these busses, the camera focussed on the people, not on the vehicle. SO till more photos pop up, we will not know which make is involved. The person who travelled and from whom the photos have come had a name starting with 'C' and he is marked in another photo.
Now we know the following:
The city involved is Dresden, formely in East Germany, heavily bombed during the world war.
We see the second side of the bus. It is probably the same bus, or if there was a fleet of them, then a similar bus. But nevertheless, we see the other side. Size of the doors is similar, the handles too, Karl's pic shows a stepney, my pic shows where it could have been as there is a rounded outline, rear wheels are the same, apperture at rear door is similar.
On my photo it is written "Rundfahrt durch Gross - Dresden 1929", basically city tour through Gross (big)- Dresden.
On another photo there is a smaller bus, also open tourer type, which says tour through the "Saechs. Schweiz 1929" I checked and found out that near Dresden the area was called as such, the Switzerland is Sachsen, the state over there. Called so probably because of natural surroundings, not chocolates and watches.
In the other picture a whole place is filled with tourist busses, but they are in the background and not clearly visible.

Cheers harit
Wow, isn't that fantastic. TBHP makes the world such a small place! You've made my day.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:45   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Some pics of Kolkata in the 1940s:

Esplanade in the 1940s. The white car in the forefront looks to be something big, like a Studebaker Phaeton?

Grand Hotel. The facade of the hotel survives in the same way to this day.

Metro Cinema, the last surviving bastion of colonial movie theatres in the multiplex jungle. What model is the car standing in front? What interests me more is the ad for the Dodge Power Wagon to the top right.

These photos have been posted earlier on this thread. And Im afraid the pictures are too small for me to identify the cars you mentioned.

Does Grand Hotel still have the Bata showroom as pictured above?

What had me thrilled was seeing that Abbot and Costello was running then
Old 12th August 2009, 12:01   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These photos have been posted earlier on this thread.
Oh I didnt know. Got these as part of a email fwd which had some 20-25 pics. Have posted only the ones with automobiles.

Have the double decker pics I put up on the classic commercial vehicles thread been posted earlier too?

Quote:
Does Grand Hotel still have the Bata showroom as pictured above?

What had me thrilled was seeing that Abbot and Costello was running then
Yes, Grand still has the Bata Showroom. In fact, the best part about Kolkata's business district (can be said about South Bombay too, I think) is that the facade of the architecture hasn't changed much with time. The same old colonial buildings, same style of shop fronts. Only the number of people has increased exponentially!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks