Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 15:22   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Somehow pictures with these wartime paints all seem to come from Calcutta.
That is because Calcutta was a larger city nearer to the war front, but the war was still some distance away. But I have a picture of an Austin or Morris with such paint and picture says Agra. But oyu are right, war time white paint lining is most commonly seen in Calcutta pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Was this done to differentiate between civilian and military vehicles or was there any particular reason for such paint schemes..?
This was done to help distinguish vehicles at night because light levels were kept very low. You know that over headlights they also had masks to keep light low. This white paint was easier to spot, specially if the car was black.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th August 2009 at 15:24.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:24   #692
Senior - BHPian

Talking of Armoured cars in India, here are some more..
1.Ac's of INA
2. Chevrolet Ac's
3.Crossley Ac's
4.VickersGuy Ac's
5.Not in India..but used by Indian army Daimler Ten Ac in Congo,1961
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-indchevroletindiapatternac.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-indcrossleyacindiapattern.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-indvickersguyindiapatternac.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-congodaimlerten-ac.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th August 2009, 21:31   #693
Senior - BHPian

Is one allowed to own military tanks and armoured vehicles in India?, ofcourse without the engines removed. Jeremy Clarkson has a huge collection of such stuff. If you own a hundred acre property why not?
Old 16th August 2009, 13:28   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is one more from my family albums

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-herald.jpg

Taken in Madras. Looking at my father in the picture I would say the picture was taken in the early 60s, the cars would have been brand new.
Old 17th August 2009, 05:08   #695
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 175223

Taken in Madras. Looking at my father in the picture I would say the picture was taken in the early 60s, the cars would have been brand new.
Taken in Kerala. My son (on the roof) & his Cousins at the car. Photo taken around 1979. There is one more picture down in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vivek-his-cousins.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vivek-his-cousins1.jpg  

Last edited by sudharma : 17th August 2009 at 05:11. Reason: Adding further information
Old 17th August 2009, 12:52   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Wooooooooooowieeeeeeeeee!!!! JUST what I needed on a Monday!!

More Herald pics.!!!

Thank you both!

I let out a scream of ecstasy when I saw your pics. in both your posts.....my mom came running in, only to realise that it was the 'usual' thing!

I remember you having sent me the 2nd pic. -the front of the MSV herald....going by the number, it seems to be a '64-65 model. I suspect the colour is phantom grey. I was under the impression they came with narrow whitewalls from that year on though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Taken in Kerala. My son (on the roof) & his Cousins at the car. Photo taken around 1979. There is one more picture down in the thread.
Nice to see more pics. of your mk2!! You rightly regret having sold off the car, that too in such a short time!
You can try and find out the current whereabouts from the respective RTO in Kerala if you want btw. Ajay99 is able to do that.

BTW, was the 2nd pic. also taken in the same year? It seems to have the impression of some sticker on the boot? Not the same type of reflective red sticker that you'd later stuck at the bottom of the bootlid, right?
Also your dashboard seems to have been fitted with 2 extra small guages, besides the fuel guage? A lot of people have done that on Heralds; fitting temp. amp. etc. meters for more feedback.

Looking at all your pics. makes me wish all the more that my dad too had a Herald back then! Even if he wouldve sold it off before I was born! :sigh:

Last edited by Stanher : 17th August 2009 at 12:55.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:03   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Another lovely picture from the British Raj

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-25december1920.jpg

Also of interest

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1437152-post178.html

Courtesy moralfibre
Old 18th August 2009, 18:44   #698
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 175223

Hi,
saw your nice family photo .Just came across one old frame showing Car reg # WBC 4483 (probebly from West Bengal or bihar) .It is of a british family travelling in & around India.Which make is this CAR ??

Uday
Tuchha
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-000015742.jpg  

Old 19th August 2009, 00:48   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchha View Post
Just came across one old frame showing Car reg # WBC 4483 (probebly from West Bengal or bihar) .It is of a british family travelling in & around India.Which make is this CAR ??
looks like a 1949-51 Ford Prefect. My dad had one in the 70s, sold a year before I was born in '81. This model also came with a sunroof.
Old 19th August 2009, 05:02   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wooooooooooowieeeeeeeeee!!!! JUST what I

BTW, was the 2nd pic. also taken in the same year? It seems to have the impression of some sticker on the boot? Not the same type of reflective red sticker that you'd later stuck at the bottom of the bootlid, right?
Also your dashboard seems to have been fitted with 2 extra small guages, besides the fuel guage? A lot of people have done that on Heralds; fitting temp. amp. etc. meters for more feedback.

Looking at all your pics. makes me wish all the more that my dad too had a Herald back then! Even if he wouldve sold it off before I was born! :sigh:
The first picture was taken soon after I bought it(The Cromium plated side plates with the "S" on the rear lamp is not there). The 2nd after the Overhaul and painting ( you can see the edge of the "S" plate on the side of the right Tail Lamp).

Yes there was a different sticker above the Number plate lamp, it was flicked!!.

If I remeber correctly, the small gauges were Voltmeter and Amperemeter.

I will try to contact Ajay99.

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2009, 08:38   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The first picture was taken soon after I bought it(The Cromium plated side plates with the "S" on the rear lamp side is not there). The 2nd after the Overhaul and painting ( you can see the edge of the "S" plate on the side of the right Tail Lamp).
So I understand the car was already painted in a different colour by the previous owner when you bought it.

Were you able to find out the original colour when you got it done up? Usually we can when/if we scrape off the old paint in the process.
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:58   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this picture belongs here, but I can't resist sharing this one.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0008.jpg

Shot by my father through the rear view mirror of his 1985 Maruti Van without my knowledge. I was sticking out the window looking at the green Phase 3 Vanguard just visible in the frame. It was a regular sight in Mahabaleshwar, wonder if it survived.
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:16   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

My 1973 Premier President, shot in 82 in Pune near the DRDO. Visible in the back is my uncle's Yezdi.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan.jpg
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:40   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My 1973 Premier President, shot in 82 in Pune near the DRDO. Visible in the back is my uncle's Yezdi.
Wow, what a shot! IMHO 'looks like some period ad of the President with the car partly photo'd from that angle!!

BTW, did you tell me that your dad too had a Yezdi in the 70s? He'd even bought a pair of small orange side-indicators for it then?
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:21   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, did you tell me that your dad too had a Yezdi in the 70s? He'd even bought a pair of small orange side-indicators for it then?
Yup, he had a Yezdi MTU 9387. It was then with his brother in Hyderabad and then it went into the ground unfortunately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks