Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 22:20   #841
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Prabhat car was also a De Soto.They used to have a picture of it hanging in their shop.
I never saw their car so had vague info about it. So is this the same car that belonged to them?
Old 11th October 2009, 23:31   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this car had been Dieselised at one point and was lying in a Garage for ages.

The Prabhat car was also a De Soto.They used to have a picture of it hanging in their shop.
DeSoto today has its original petrol engine installed. It went to Pune by truck, in transport the radiator was damaged. Meanwhile owner also got the original monogram missing in the photo. There are not too many such DeSoto's around, one was there in Chennai, Kotak has another.

BTW, Is this not the wrong thread?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 11th October 2009 at 23:46.
Old 11th October 2009, 23:49   #843
BHPian

DeSoto

Yes this is unique DeSoto, it was with Prabhat from new it seems and one black & white pic. hanged in their shop. It was in Hyd until 2006, when I have taken this attached picture, sorry for the quality of pic, I did not carry my camera at that time.

In the latest picture from Pune, it seems radiator grill changed, missing monogram. It is very strong car and unique dashboard, may be Karl can post the dash pics. The Hyd owner told me he used to start occassionally on festivals, also said it consumes lot of petrol.

It is rare car, never seen in any rallies in Hyd before, hope present owner will preserve well.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02112006286.jpg  

Old 12th October 2009, 00:15   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Yes this is unique DeSoto, it was with Prabhat from new it seems and one black & white pic. hanged in their shop. It was in Hyd until 2006, when I have taken this attached picture, sorry for the quality of pic, I did not carry my camera at that time.

In the latest picture from Pune, it seems radiator grill changed, missing monogram. It is very strong car and unique dashboard, may be Karl can post the dash pics. The Hyd owner told me he used to start occassionally on festivals, also said it consumes lot of petrol.

Cheers!
Wow, nice to put up this pic. Very magnificient car, never realised that.
I met the owner end of August at his abode. He is getting the original parts and has sourced one monogram.

Cheers harit
Old 12th October 2009, 02:42   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
The ex-owner did show me some colour pics. of it as well once. He told me it was a Dodge though.
Old 12th October 2009, 02:51   #846
BHPian

Austin 12hp

One of our Austin after many years seen in recently held Deccan Heritage Vintage Car Rally @Chowmahalla. This is also very few of Austins, it was with us until early 80's. Lot of changes seen now spoked wheels replaced now, front cross bar below headlights were removed, colour was changed from full black to two blue and black. Hope to meet present soon.

Attaching picture of Austin now and before when it was with us.

Harit bhai, love to see your magnificient collection of Adlers, Buicks, Packards and above all meet the gentlemen himself.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-aus10_x.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc_0291.jpg  

Old 12th October 2009, 10:20   #847
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harit.

Well if this is the Prabhat Auto owners De Soto then it was always original with the correct engine. Car used to be brought out very sparingly as they didn't have much manpower to keep it in good nick.

There was another almost identical De Soto lying with a garage owner in the old city that had a Perkins engine installed in it. Never saw it move though.

Can you inquire with the current owner if this car was bought with teh original engine. If so then there is a chance that the other Diesel De Soto is still around in Hyd and can be sourced.

Also please note the reason there is a difference in the look of the front grille is that the car when in Hyderabad had a grille guard attached to the front of the grille which looks to have been removed in the current picture.

Also as you mentioned De Soto's of the late twenties to the mid thirties are kind of rare to find in India.
Old 12th October 2009, 22:14   #848
Senior - BHPian

This is the image of Clubside motor stand, Darjeeling. Other is a Darjeeling Singamari (small 5kms route) commuter taxi.
If anybody has visited now, then will know the difference how much it has changed.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-clubside-scan.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-singamari.jpg
Old 12th October 2009, 22:25   #849
Senior - BHPian

The cars' parked in the first pic looks like a Car Rally of those times
Old 12th October 2009, 22:42   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
To me it looks like Cuba of those as well these times!
Only there you'd find mostly American cars of the same era.
Old 12th October 2009, 22:46   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
No car rally.! They all are taxi.
Old 13th October 2009, 10:48   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
These pictures are taken during the Liberation of Goa period. Dating probably between 1955 - 61 or earlier but after 1950.

These scenes were common after the Independence of India ,....
These barricades were managed by Portuguese Officiers to check people getting into Goa. No vehicles were allowed to either enter or leave Goa.
Hi Spitfire, where will I be able to see some more pics like this one posted by @agspins. What I am looking for is the BMW Twin and single cylinder motorcycles used by the Portuguese army in Goa. Do you have any info about that.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 13th October 2009 at 10:49.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:46   #853
BHPian

Thanks SirAlec for sharing interesting pics of Darjeeling Taxi stand, some car looks like Ford Perfect, Austins, etc.

Please post more pics if you have.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:14   #854

Quote:
Hi Harit.

Well if this is the Prabhat Auto owners De Soto then it was always original with the correct engine. Car used to be brought out very sparingly as they didn't have much manpower to keep it in good nick.

There was another almost identical De Soto lying with a garage owner in the old city that had a Perkins engine installed in it. Never saw it move though.

Can you inquire with the current owner if this car was bought with teh original engine. If so then there is a chance that the other Diesel De Soto is still around in Hyd and can be sourced.

Also please note the reason there is a difference in the look of the front grille is that the car when in Hyderabad had a grille guard attached to the front of the grille which looks to have been removed in the current picture.

Also as you mentioned De Soto's of the late twenties to the mid thirties are kind of rare to find in India.
Yes, this car did belong to the parikh family, who own Prabhat autumobiles in Hyderabad, single owner! She has allways had the original engine, The radiator guard on the grill was fabricated and has now been removed, since originaly it is not meant to be there ! The original mascot was missing and the badge on the radiator was lost by a "popular" restorer? of vintage cars in Poona, fortunately both have been now procured! She now, also has the 'split' windscreen as she is originally meant to. She runs like a dream and totally roadworthy! And yes she also, now has whitewalled tyres on her instead of the ADV's that she came with.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:25   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu taheer View Post
Yes, this car did belong to the parikh family, who own Prabhat autumobiles in Hyderabad, single owner! She has allways had the original engine, The radiator guard on the grill was fabricated and has now been removed, since originaly it is not meant to be there ! The original mascot was missing and the badge on the radiator was lost by a "popular" restorer? of vintage cars in Poona, fortunately both have been now procured! She now, also has the 'split' windscreen as she is originally meant to. She runs like a dream and totally roadworthy! And yes she also, now has whitewalled tyres on her instead of the ADV's that she came with.

She does look to have landed with someone who will care for her as she should be. Congrats.

Can you post pictures of her with teh whitewalls and teh split screen in place with the emblem etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks