Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 18:57   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are more courtesy Wasif

Quote:
The 33 Ford is again my uncle's car Meraj Ahmed Khan. You can see his son Tej Khan driving the ADL 357. Tej khan was a well known personality in Bombay, a model who figured in many commercials, Nescafe is one that I remember in the eighties. He was married to Dilip Kumar's niece.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ford02.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ford03.jpg

Quote:
The RR is the Paigah car I mentioned pictured outside their Saroonagar Palace. It is very much on the lines of that "Star of India" RR that was the subject of discussion some time ago.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rolls01.jpg

Quote:
The baby and the lady are me and my mom. The car is my dads Hillman which he later traded with a friend for a Velox.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mom01.jpg

And a Standard 10 for Stanher

Quote:
The other picture is of a Standard belonging to my das friend in college, center, with my dad on the left.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-standard01.jpg
Old 28th December 2009, 19:05   #917
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again Karl.

A funny story about the Hillman. It was probably in need of an engien overhaul. I remember it would refuse to clime the hill on Road No 4 in Banjara Hills so my dad would do it in reverse !

I guess the reverse was geared higher than the first gear.

Any comments on the Rolls ?
Old 28th December 2009, 19:40   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are some great pictures that Wasif has requested me to upload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The first two pictures show my mother and aunt with a rickshaw - not ours.
Wowwieeeeeeeee!!!! Wasif and Khanak- man, you guys have an awesome treasure trove of old pics.!! How I wish I too had something even half of this to share from my old family albums! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Not sure whos car the Wolsley was and not sure if it was photographed in India. Can you tell by the licence platwe where this car is from ?
Quote:
The Wolseley regn. must be Madras.
MC ***Z is definitely a pre-Independence Madras regn. Karl, even your grand-uncle's Austin 7 had a similar regn. series IIRC, MC ***P?

Quote:
Here's what Wasif says about it.
I'm familiar with the Paigah House at SD road (across the road from Paradise circle) It seems to be used as a function hall now. I presume none of these cars are still aroun there though?

Quote:
And a Standard 10 for Stanher
Thank you thank you, kind sirs!

'would've been all the more elated had it been a Herald.......but hey, close enough!

Last edited by Stanher : 28th December 2009 at 19:42.
Old 28th December 2009, 21:56   #919
BHPian

Finally pictures befitting this thread, IMHO. Enjoyed them very much, thanks Wasif and Khanak.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:21   #920
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys

I guess this picture doesn't belong here but I am attaching a picture of a model of our house. I guess this model was made when the bungalow was being planned - Sometime around the 50s or 60s I guess.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1-022.jpg

@Karl - I am 100% sure that the registration was MRZ 8888. However I know that most parts were constantly being changed and upgraded as we went along. By the time we sold her (for 6000 around 2002) she had bucket seats, tinted windows, a floor shifter and air conditioning.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:19   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the 'ducktail' Rolls in Wasif's picture, I think there were 2 in India - One Jaipur, one Khairpur, subject to correction. More details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/828051-post303.html

Gurus, do enlighten us.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:30   #922
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harit.

Nice detective work on the E Type. I found its story on the web too and its now owned by Phillip Porter.

These are a few pictures of the car I found. It had to be restored from the ground up and as you have rightly said its the most famous and the most well documented E Type in history.

No wonder you have a bunch of people looking at the car in my dads picture. He probably knew about the cars provenence aas he was studing in the UK in that period and was an avid Jaguar lover. Its a pity I never got to discuss this picture with him though.

Karl regarding the "duckback" Rolls if you are sure there were two more of this kind in India then this would be the third car.

I don't think it would have been sold on and moved to another Princely state. Its almost certain this car in my picture was broken down as were most of the other cars from that family.

Their Horch on the other had was purchased by a Britisher along with a few other cars theu had and these were exported from India in the later sixties. Maybe this Rolls too left the country with the Horch.

DKG's uncle is familiar with the story of the Horch.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-96l3.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-0302pic2zoom.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-completezoom.jpg  

Old 29th December 2009, 10:45   #923
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And now for the most spectacular one of them all!
Gorgeous picture. Thanks Wasif for sharing this. My father remembers all these cars and used to tell me about them. The older Packard is a 1935 convertible. Not aware of any surviving in India. The Chrysler was a woody.

Sir Asman Jah, also known as Bashir-ud-Dowla had a beautiful palace at Bashirbagh (area named after him too I suppose) which was sadly broken down in 70's.

Wasif I have not been able to locate the Saroonagar palace. I wonder if its still there or broken down much earlier. The only building in the area is the Victoria Memorial Orphanage which was once a palace built by the then Nizam. Maybe this is the Saroonagar palace?

Last edited by DKG : 29th December 2009 at 10:50.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:56   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gorgeous picture. Thanks Wasif for sharing this. My father remembers all these cars and used to tell me about them. The older Packard is a 1935 convertible. Not aware of any surviving in India. The Chrysler was a woody.

Sir Asman Jah, also known as Bashir-ud-Dowla had a beautiful palace at Bashirbagh (area named after him too I suppose) which was sadly broken down in 70's.

Wasif I have not been able to locate the Saroonagar palace. I wonder if its still there or broken down much earlier. The only building in the area is the Victoria Memorial Orphanage which was once a palace built by the then Nizam. Maybe this is the Saroonagar palace?
I think that Saroonagar Palace was in fact broken down way back, a shame indeed as it looks awsome. Its a shame what happened to the Basheer Bagh Palace too. That building Paigah Plaza came up on teh land the Paigah's were left with.

On another note Hyderabad would have been such a beautifull place had the gardens of Eram Manzil that comprised of over 40 acers and other similar gardens were not destroyed and turned into colonies by the government.

Could you check with your dad and your uncle about the name of the british person who bout the Horch and other cars from the Paigah Family.

These two pictures were given to me my Mohd Ghousuddin Khan ( Baba Ghouse) Please give him my regards when you see him next.

Last edited by wasif : 29th December 2009 at 10:59.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:06   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Harit.

Nice detective work on the E Type. I found its story on the web too and its now owned by Phillip Porter.

No wonder you have a bunch of people looking at the car in my dads picture. He probably knew about the cars provenence as he was studing in the UK in that period and was an avid Jaguar lover. Its a pity I never got to discuss this picture with him though.

Karl regarding the "duckback" Rolls if you are sure there were two more of this kind in India then this would be the third car.

I don't think it would have been sold on and moved to another Princely state. Its almost certain this car in my picture was broken down as were most of the other cars from that family.

Their Horch on the other had was purchased by a Britisher along with a few other cars they had and these were exported from India in the later sixties. Maybe this Rolls too left the country with the Horch.
Hi Wasif,

As the site said, this was the most photographed E-type and one more photo has emerged. I also remember reading that the car was slightly "tweaked", no other standard E-type ever did 150mph.

Pranlal too has a red duckback Rolls, that car came from the state of Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. Apparently Pranlal is the second owner.

The Packard tourer looks very much like the car which was sold by DKG's dad.

A Horch from India did land up in Australia, it was featured a while ago in AutoIndia.

The LHD Chrysler appears to be a Woody, just look at the doors. Karl pointed this out.

Nice pictures, are any more coming up?

Cheers harit
Old 29th December 2009, 11:12   #926
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
No Harit. That car was a 1934 Packard Touring originally owned by Raja Pratapgirji, elder brother of Raja Dhanrajgirji whose Packard you have. This 35 seems to have disappeared or sadly broken down. There is a car with someone, a picture of which I have not seen and maybe this car went there? Lets hope this one too has survived

Most of these Paigah cars were there well into the 60's/early 70's. Can you imagine 71DC and another RR (another Paigah family RR's) were with my classmate's dad right through 70's and I never knew about them !!
Old 29th December 2009, 11:14   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Wasif,

As the site said, this was the most photographed E-type and one more photo has emerged. I also remember reading that the car was slightly "tweaked", no other standard E-type ever did 150mph.

Pranlal too has a red duckback Rolls, that car came from the state of Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. Apparently Pranlal is the second owner.

A Horch from India did land up in Australia, it was featured a while ago in AutoIndia.

The LHD Chrysler appears to be a Woody, just look at the doors. Karl pointed this out.

Nice pictures, are any more coming up?

Cheers harit
Hi Harit.

The Horch in the news recently that is in Australia is a different car. This car was a much more interesting car with a very distinctive body. I have seen pictures of it but unfortunatel don't have any.

The Chrysler was indeed a woody and was in Hyderabad till the late to mid nineties. It and an Impala hardtop with twin antennas on the rear fender were with a dealer in Hyderabad and I understand they sold on to someone in Mumbai, maybe you can trace them ! Both these cars, the Woody and the Impala were used extensively by Zaheer Yar Jung the dather of the person who gave me these pictures.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:23   #928
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car was a much more interesting car with a very distinctive body. I have seen pictures of it but unfortunatel don't have any.

The Chrysler was indeed a woody and was in Hyderabad till the late to mid nineties. It and an Impala hardtop with twin antennas on the rear fender were with a dealer in Hyderabad and I understand they sold on to someone in Mumbai, maybe you can trace them ! Both these cars, the Woody and the Impala were used extensively by Zaheer Yar Jung the dather of the person who gave me these pictures.
Check out the Horch roadster that won Pebble Beach. Maybe that car? All these cars would have been bought and used by either Moin-ud-Dowla or his son Zaheer Yar Jung, grandfather of Ghouse
Old 29th December 2009, 11:33   #929
Senior - BHPian

The Horch I am speaking off looked almost identical to this one. Maybe DFG can speak to his elders and comment on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-38hh855erdmannrossispecialrdstrbulletproofwindscreengoeringcar_bhc.jpg  

Old 29th December 2009, 14:17   #930
BHPian

Wasif et all,

Great pictures and I am sure happy memories too,, and yes that E type was tweaked as it later emerged to just make the 150 MPH maximum speed run.
The road test was by Autocar, I think and it was on the jabakke straight in Belgium that the car managed to just clear an average of 150 MPH run in two directions. They used Dunlop racing tyres and a few other tweaks which were not part of the later production cars.

Some old photographs from my side, the first one is me and my mom with the Buick in the porch,taken in 1955 Peshawar, third one is the visit of Mr Jinnah to the NWFP in pre partition India in 1946, photographed in our house with the Buick in the background. The second picture is just a very nostalgic picture of our house in Peshawar.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-shahid1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-18.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-sa8.jpg  

Last edited by Alvis : 29th December 2009 at 14:18.
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks