Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 23:13   #946
Senior - BHPian

Clicked these pics in a ongoing exhibition here..
1.Car used by Netaji to escape house arrest in 1941.probably a Ford Tudor.
2.Gandhiji after arrest in 1913 in South Africa, Model T in background.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-120120101122.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-120120101125.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 00:47   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
2.Gandhiji after arrest in 1913 in South Africa, Model T in background.
BLA 7169 had been featured in another thread earlier, here it is said to have been Netaji's own car. Also mentioned to be an Adler but it is actually a Wanderer:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/975314-post2.html
Old 13th January 2010, 09:56   #948
Senior - BHPian

These are pictures sent to me by an old Hyderabadi family who fondly remember their Singer Roadster pictured.

The car was sold on and they have lost touch with it.Does anyone know if this car still survivies.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-papas-singer.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th January 2010, 14:15   #949
Senior - BHPian

Salim Ali & Sunbeam

Hello All.

Recently in my family house while cleaning up some old stuff that belonged to my grandpa, I came accross the attached photo.

Late Dr. Salim Ali (the "Bird man of India") has been a friend of my Grandpa and I believe had come and stayed in his house in Trivandrum (before I have clear memmories of) many times during the famous study of birds of Kerala and even after. I recall hearing from grandpa that Dr Ali used to get around on his bike, which was a Sunbeam (my grandpa had a mundane BSA 350).

Behind this photo there is a note which says - Salim, Sewden - 23-2-50 in grand's handwriting.

The bike I think is Sunbeam. The people with him look European. Could this be the bike grandpa was referring to, as the bike is having a BMZ registration.

Can any of you identify the model of the bike. It looks really massive.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-salim-ali-.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 13th January 2010 at 14:18.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:31   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello All.

Recently in my family house while cleaning up some old stuff that belonged to my grandpa, I came accross the attached photo.

Late Dr. Salim Ali (the "Bird man of India") has been a friend of my Grandpa and I believe had come and stayed in his house in Trivandrum (before I have clear memmories of) many times during the famous study of birds of Kerala and even after. I recall hearing from grandpa that Dr Ali used to get around on his bike, which was a Sunbeam (my grandpa had a mundane BSA 350).

Behind this photo there is a note which says - Salim, Sewden - 23-2-50 in grand's handwriting.

The bike I think is Sunbeam. The people with him look European. Could this be the bike grandpa was referring to, as the bike is having a BMZ registration.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Nair,
This is definately a Sunbeam. Now, the question which model.

S-7 produced from December 1946 until April 1949
S-7 Deluxe produced from December 1949 until 1956
S-8 produced from December 1949 until 1956

As the date mentioned in the back is 23.02.1950 - so we can assume that it is a S-7 most probably. Another big aspect supporting my point is the clutch lever - where the lever is attached to the handle at the end.

Thnx

Last edited by milindajp : 13th January 2010 at 14:34.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:40   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello All.
It makes a nice story, but this photo has been published in Salim Ali's autobiographical "Fall of a Sparrow". I'm sure the footnote has all the information you need. I read the book nearly two decades ago, so I can't quote from memory. But I recall reading that he had shipped the bike from Bombay to UK and then crossed the Baltic Sea by ferry to attend the International Ornithological Congress in Uppsala, Sweden. However, some people thought he had ridden all the way! A quick online search confirms the year was 1950.

If you own the original photo, do write to the publisher so that your grandad gets credit.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:53   #952
Senior - BHPian

That bike is a Sunbeam S7. My family is related to the late Dr. Ali and I have heard about his exploits with this bike. Now I can't tell for sure if it is a Deluxe or a standard model nor its exact year of manifacture.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:17   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post

If you own the original photo, do write to the publisher so that your grandad gets credit.
ER,

Thanks for the info. Thanks for the suggestion for the Credit - which I am not looking for. What we have may be a copy of several made by Dr Ali to send to his friends about his trip to Sweden. I think I should have checked the book myself.

The memorbilia of Dr Ali is anyway a national treasure and no one should claim credit for such things and share it with the fellow Indians (may be I am a silly old fool)

Thanks anyway

Best Regards & Drive/ride Safe

Ram
Old 13th January 2010, 15:54   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That bike is a Sunbeam S7. My family is related to the late Dr. Ali and I have heard about his exploits with this bike. Now I can't tell for sure if it is a Deluxe or a standard model nor its exact year of manifacture.
Wasif bhai, this is surely a standard model. Because both S7 deluxe and S-8 model have normal clutch lever, whereas S-7 standard have clutch lever attached to the end of the handlebar. In the picture we can find this.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:36   #955
Senior - BHPian

Netaji ki gaddi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
The car used by Netaji to escape house arrest was a Wanderer. It is currently on display at Netaji's house at Elgin Road. Someone had earlier put the pics on tbhp.

Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post975314
Old 13th January 2010, 19:02   #956
BHPian

Hi,

that is a very nice collector's item you have there.These images remind us of the grand old period .

enjoyed looking at all the images from that collection .

Uday
Tuchha
Old 13th January 2010, 19:54   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Wasif bhai, this is surely a standard model. Because both S7 deluxe and S-8 model have normal clutch lever, whereas S-7 standard have clutch lever attached to the end of the handlebar. In the picture we can find this.
Sure if you think so it must be. I am not that well informed when it comes to differences like this.
Old 14th January 2010, 00:30   #958
BHPian

Sunbeam S7s were, and are, a pain. The balloon tyres were also quite a challenge back then. But it always looked gorgeous. On the fly, it's a dream until it overheats, and a nightmare quickly thereafter! However, the engine-cum-exhaust note is pure symphony. Sold mine in college for 1750 chips. I would love to have one again in my garage, since I'm older and more tolerant now.

Edit:
Sorry if that was OT. Got carried away by the pic of the venerable Dr. Ali and his big bike. Ram you've been enthralling us with some fab pics, here and in the classic advert section. Thanks.

Last edited by Prabal : 14th January 2010 at 00:33.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:43   #959
Senior - BHPian

Thought I would give some life to this thread, again.
This is a pre 1920 Wolseley, apparently Parsi owned, in Mumbai. I received 5 old negatives, got them printed and this is one of them.
The car had a BOM Z registration. In one picture taken on Marine Drive outside Wilson College there is another car with a single letter and 5 digit registration, implying that the BOM series and single letter series were in use at the same time. And apparently in the 1920's Marine Drive was a single road, not double sided with ceter partition as today.
The car has acetylene side lights supplemented by electric ones. The headlights are electric. There is a battery box on the left running board.
This could be somewhere near Gamdevi, unfortunately the name of the building is covered by the tree.
The car has a three-door tourer body, stepney fitted where driver door could gave been. That was typical on European cars in those days.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-wolseley-1.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 20th January 2010 at 11:46.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:14   #960

Good work karl..!!
I appreciate your efforts for sharing fantastic collection of old photos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks