Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 11:03   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I used to see one Metallic Green Alvis drop head coupe parked adjacent in a building next to Prithvi Appartments around the early 90's. It was owned by one Mr. Cooper and was not for sale then. Can it be the same car, though it did have a newer (maybe MMB or an MMF number if i remember correct) Never saw it after that. It had an Ambassador speedo
I think that is the same car in this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well we do have a thread on cars spotted in movies - the closest thing I would think.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...d-cars-17.html
Old 11th March 2010, 11:13   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to see one Metallic Green Alvis drop head coupe parked adjacent in a building next to Prithvi Appartments around the early 90's. It was owned by one Mr. Cooper and was not for sale then. Can it be the same car, though it did have a newer (maybe MMB or an MMF number if i remember correct) Never saw it after that. It had an Ambassador speedo
The Alvis you mention is BMZ 4645, posted by Karl, post 1069 on this thread. It changed colours a number of times including blue, and this Brijal colour (not BT I hope).
It is probably the only example of this model that came to India. Mr. Cooper told me that the car was sort of abandoned, and there was some connection with his in-laws. I will ask for details next time.
Today this Alvis is lying in Bandra with a workshop, work has been done again.

Cheers harit
Old 11th March 2010, 11:37   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Another picture. The car appears to be a Ford Consul, any other ideas?
The lady is all made up, perhaps for a shoot. And perhaps her chaperone is sitting in the car, keeping an eye on the beauty, during a break. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-consul.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 11:43   #1084
Senior - BHPian

This is a car picture, where the star is the car. A convertible Morris Minor. Right in front of the cinema, probably New Empire opp to VT.
Can anyone who has seen Aan give a suggestion why the car may have been kept like this? The crowd is standing quite orderly on the sides. In the foreground is a Hillman.

Looking to inputs.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-morris-3.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 12:19   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nother picture. The car appears to be a Ford Consul, any other ideas?
The lady is all made up, perhaps for a shoot. And perhaps her chaperone is sitting in the car, keeping an eye on the beauty, during a break. Any ideas?
Lady looks like Geeta Bali...
Old 11th March 2010, 14:26   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Do allow me to make a contribution of my own. While googling Geeta Baali to get a closer match (probable, incidentally), I found this picture of her in the frame with Geeta Dutt alongwith hubby Guru Dutt, Mohd Rafi and others

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gd15.jpg

Geeta Dutt : A journey through picture memories Geeta Dutt Fans' Blog

The car looks like a DeSoto taxi (white plates, BMT regn). The bracket to hold the plate appears to be ahead of the plate interestingly.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:43   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hey Prabal!
Ofcourse you solved the mystery, but by your own admission, your post required filtering.
Hey Harit!
Nope, you got that wrong. I didn't say, anywhere, that MY post required filtering. I was saying that if one were to filter back through ALL the posts on the pages in question . . . there's a difference, and a big one.

Quote:
In fact I followed your post and googled, anyone could have done that, but didn't.
Yes, you did well. In fact I was trying to get people to google since five days, with a hint the first time on. But you took it up immediately this time. Well done!

Quote:
But is it not intriguing how the car was cut in the photo from a particular place to make the quest interesting.
You mean now, that someone cut the photograph to make the car mysterious? Was it originally done when the pic was clicked? Wow - all those years back, so that a few decades later folks could have some entertainment. Or, was it done now - again a thoughtful gesture to give us some time-pass. That's an interesting angle indeed. I, in my mundane ways, wouldn't have given any thought to that possibility and would have just taken it as a period photo where the focus was simply more on the people. Wonderful thought!

Quote:
Enough of banter, I hope you took it in good spirits, tomorrow some more pics. Cheers harit
Of course I took it in good spirits (along with some spirited stuff of the unmentionable kinds here!!). And to keep matters flowing in good spirits here I did not respond to some of the other, earlier, posts, like # 1062, 1064, etc. since I would have only been misconstruing! You are a friend. Banter, light or heavy, between us is perfectly fine with me. In fact I was only kidding when earlier I'd said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
. . . and also bring clarity on what is Off-Topic and what isn't - something I've been grappling with here for a while since signing up.
Was kidding. Of course, I know the strokes . . . Ganguly's hard slash, even if deliberate, for a six over Deep backward point is a risky shot where as Tendulkar's mistimed slash over Slips is a master stroke from the little genius!!

Disclaimer: The above analogy is not about the cricketers. It was just to illustrate that a billion people can't be wrong if they treat Tendulkar like God. Lesser mortals have to accept and admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Oh absolutely..Probably i was bit ignorant to that, as Harit sir posted the id with pics, i just followed it.Nevermind
No problem at all. In fact I wouldn't even normally have pointed it out had a couple of posts after yours not kept quiet about the undue credit! By the way, I've seen advice given by some folks here in the past to take the trouble to read all the posts, especially the recent ones, before replying. I didn't say any of it.

Quote:
Now this thread is all about nostalgia and trying to discover the roots of the pics.
Sirjee Gogiji, I think barring some of the issue-related threads all the other threads in the vintage and classic section are about nostalgia and sentiments, some way or the other. The thread mentioned by 911987 and Karl, "Old Bollywood Movies Are Best Archives for Old Cars" is also very much so.

Quote:
Its also called the Nostalgic Pictures of Our Family's Cars but most cars here are not even known, leave alone whom they belong to (definitely not family or relations but no ones complaining). What im saying is that this thread is all about history and a little deviation into trying to figure out who the persons with the cars are is inevitable. after all these pics are a part of history.
The name of the thread, IMHO, ceased to be relevant a long time ago. I'm also guilty of one post in here of a non-car photo of a family member (although there're images in there of the para bikes in their canisters, but still I'll say it wasn't really on topic) but restricted myself to just that one transgression, if I remember right.

There's also a thread on unidentified vintage and classic automobiles, right?

Anyway, no offence meant to anyone. My test and one-day playing days wouldn't last long if I play too much, I'd long realised. So, I'll continue to restrict myself to an occasional T20 only!

I'll run now and go listen to Nostalgie . . . on my neighbour's Becker!

Cheers to all.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:20   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do allow me to make a contribution of my own. While googling Geeta Baali to get a closer match (probable, incidentally), I found this picture of her in the frame with Geeta Dutt alongwith hubby Guru Dutt, Mohd Rafi and others

The car looks like a DeSoto taxi (white plates, BMT regn). The bracket to hold the plate appears to be ahead of the plate interestingly.
Calling movie buffs to recall the movie where the hero is driving a 7 seater DeSoto taxi BMT registered. In the large rear compartment a body is lying, Taxi driver unaware, passengers freaking out and hopping off. Could be the same car. That movie was in Colour!!

Quote:
Hey Harit!
Nope, you got that wrong. I didn't say, anywhere, that MY post ..............there's a difference, and a big one.

Yes, you did well. In fact I was trying to get people to google since five days, ................Well done!

You mean now, that someone cut the photograph to make the car mysterious? Was it originally done when the pic was clicked? ................ more on the people. Wonderful thought!

Of course I took it in good spirits (along with some spirited stuff of the unmentionable kinds here!!). And to keep matters flowing in good spirits here I did not respond to some of the other, earlier, posts, like # 1062, 1064, etc. since I would have only been misconstruing! You are a friend. Banter, light or heavy, between us is perfectly fine with me. In fact I was only kidding when earlier I'd said this:
Hi Prabal,

1) Agreed, all posts required filtering and difference is big. so many days had passed, maybe you could have googled at that time!

2) Thanks

3) This is why I am replying to this post. The frame was such that the car was cut at an interesting angle, that is the original picture. After all, the photographer was a press photographer and would have focused on the lady. I had no role to play in the frame.

4) Good spirit and a kind hearted soul.

Can you identify any of the unidentified persons?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 11th March 2010 at 15:21.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:37   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Calling movie buffs to recall the movie where the hero is driving a 7 seater DeSoto taxi BMT registered. In the large rear compartment a body is lying, Taxi driver unaware, passengers freaking out and hopping off. Could be the same car. That movie was in Colour!!
That was Saadhu aur Shaitaan, DeSoto driven by Mehmood. Cab was regd BMT 1800.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/848971-post2123.html
Old 11th March 2010, 15:52   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Alvis you mention is BMZ 4645, posted by Karl, post 1069 on this thread. It changed colours a number of times including blue, and this Brijal colour (not BT I hope).
It is probably the only example of this model that came to India. Mr. Cooper told me that the car was sort of abandoned, and there was some connection with his in-laws. I will ask for details next time.
Today this Alvis is lying in Bandra with a workshop, work has been done again.
I had chanced to meet Mr. Cooper's son (i think) a couple of times when i was told the car was for sale. The first time i was told that it was not for sale and the next time i went, i was told Mr. Cooper was abroad and the car maybe for sale. Then i visited his flat many times but never found anybody. The car was not there anymore. Then i saw it in a horrible Blue Gray colour and still some Parsi gent was driving it. I was told that Mr. Cooper now does not intent to sell the car as there was some problems with the papers (may have been the family thing you mention) It was a unique car indeed and if resurrected, it will be a true gem.

Quote:
Another picture. The car appears to be a Ford Consul, any other ideas?
Yes the car is the Consul (specific lines, door panel, winders and specially the steering wheel) and the lady, as pointed out, may be Geeta Bali or Kum Kum. The thin guy with a pencil moustache may well be Mr. Raj Khosla (he made a film with Geeta Bali in 1955 called Milap) See his pic below

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rajkhosla_18131.jpg

Quote:
This is a car picture, where the star is the car. A convertible Morris Minor. Right in front of the cinema, probably New Empire opp to VT.
Can anyone who has seen Aan give a suggestion why the car may have been kept like this? The crowd is standing quite orderly on the sides. In the foreground is a Hillman.

Looking to inputs.

Cheers harit
Maybe the Actor or someone related to the film is visiting. The crowd seems restricted to a certain parameter so im guessing this.

Quote:

Attachment 305102

Geeta Dutt : A journey through picture memories Geeta Dutt Fans' Blog

And the metal hood ornament on the bonnet is this

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-khanda.jpg

Its a Sikh symbol called the Khanda. Presumably the cab was owned by a Sikh gentleman (from Koliwada?) and was rented out in the film. Also maybe this cab is shown to be owned by a Sikh in the film.

Quote:

Sirjee Gogiji, I think barring some of the issue-related threads all the other threads in the vintage and classic section are about nostalgia and sentiments, some way or the other. The thread mentioned by 911987 and Karl, "Old Bollywood Movies Are Best Archives for Old Cars" is also very much so.
The name of the thread, IMHO, ceased to be relevant a long time ago.
I'm also guilty of one post in here of a non-car photo of a family member (although there're images in there of the para bikes in their canisters, but still I'll say it wasn't really on topic) but restricted myself to just that one transgression, if I remember right.
True sir true, was not trying to tell you anything but i thought you god bugged as to why some attention was being paid to things other than cars. I had also suggested to the Mods to delete the words "our families" but they chose not to, they have their reasons im sure.

Quote:
My test and one-day playing days wouldn't last long if I play too much, I'd long realised so, I'll continue to restrict myself to an occasional T20 only!
Au contraire mon ami, au contraire.

It was you who recognized it as an Alvis, though some of us didi get the manufacturing country right and am always spellbound by your powers of deduction (like I am of Ram's) but in the classic car section i think you rule roost. You are The Man, Prabol da (please note the pronunciation)
Old 11th March 2010, 21:36   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Alvis you mention is BMZ 4645, posted by Karl, Today this Alvis is lying in Bandra with a workshop, work has been done again.Cheers harit
Where in bandra is this workshop?
Regards
Old 12th March 2010, 12:12   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Where in bandra is this workshop?
Regards
Near Lilawati Hospital.

Below is the last "movie pic" of this lot.
The car in the background is a Hillman. On the right is a "seriously fastback" car, difficult to identify.
And if someone can identify these gents, please do let me know.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-hillman.jpg  

Old 12th March 2010, 16:00   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Person on right looks like old actor Sajjan..
Old 12th March 2010, 17:14   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Person on right looks like old actor Sajjan..
Indeed he does and the Guy on the left looks like veteran actor Chandrashekhar. The fastback im afraid i cant see properly, on saving and enlarging the pic, it gets distorted. but maybe the two parallel chrome/aluminum strips may be able to give the car away?

Last edited by V-16 : 12th March 2010 at 17:16. Reason: add
Old 12th March 2010, 18:50   #1095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The fastback im afraid i cant see properly, on saving and enlarging the pic, it gets distorted. but maybe the two parallel chrome/aluminum strips may be able to give the car away?
Ford Super Deluxe of late 40s?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks