Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 09:36   #1171
BHPian

taken this photo of a photo with a cell phone camera from CCI. Does the car survive today.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc01207.jpg  

Benson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 10:45   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
taken this photo of a photo with a cell phone camera from CCI. Does the car survive today.
Nice picture, this is the triumphant return of our cricketers, and Ajit Wadekar standing in the car. The car behind is the Government's Buick convertible now with a collector in Pune. This car was most probably red.
Note the cops in that old blue shorts uniform.
This car was often used for public parades. I have seen Indira Gandhi in this car on Peddar Road.
I also think that this car and another were used when the astronauts of the first moon landing came to Bombay.
There is such a car in Pune, and one more in Mahableshwar.
But, does the car survive today?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 27th March 2010 at 10:52.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 11:22   #1173
Senior - BHPian

A new lot of exciting pictures came my way. And figured out some story with the help of Karl, who has still not seen the pics. Way to go Karl thumbs up

There are three pictures of a beautiful fast back twin stepney car, two with a lady, and one with a driver. On the back of the photos the name Sulochna is written. And there is a fourth picture of a SS100 with a gentleman posing in front of it, and both car and gent are in front of a Fort. On the back the name D. Billimoria is mentioned.
I googled Sulochana and found that there were 4 to 5 actresses with that name. There was no photo, so I let it be but TOLD Karl about this.
Karl came back with a photo, the lady is Sulochana actress from the silent movie era who made the transition to talkies successfully, was the highest paid star of her days, real name Ruby Meyers, was from Pune. And her friend was a certain Dinshaw Billimoria, matching the name on the back of the photo.
I feel that the car could be a Studebaker of 1933/34, and have enlarged a wheelcap to help confirm identity. The car had a Bombay registered "T" series number, and the rear of the car was just like the blue Jaipur Bentley which had come to the Cartier event.
Cannot find much on D. Billimoria on the net. If anyone can get info, please let us know.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-sulochana-1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-sulochana-2.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-sulochana-3.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 27th March 2010 at 11:25.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:54   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, she is in a Pune collection, and the Indira Gandhi connection is often announced at rallies.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-impala21.jpg

Harit - what a simply smashing photo this must be!

I think we have a partial match here

1934 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser Sedan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th March 2010 at 13:00.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:27   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Harit - what a simply smashing photo this must be! I think we have a partial match here
1934 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser Sedan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Karl, good private eye detective.
This is the same car, but in addition has twin stepneys on the front wings. Even front monogram is the same.
I would add this to the list of great cars Bombay had, including a Franklin, Marmon's etc.

What a car!!

Cheers harit
Old 27th March 2010, 14:53   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Vadiya, Gogi praa, ae changa lageya meinu! I like such "nostalgic family pictures" in this thread! Liked the Datsun 120Y coupe, we had one too, in ash white.
Thanks Prabal but this was a Datsun 1200 coupe not a 120Y. The 120Y was similar but had a sleeker back and looked very sporty.

Quote:
I am very interested if the car behind it (Buick) still survives.

What a find Harit and Karl. Now we have proof that Bombay had such rare and wonderful cars. Sulochana or Ruby Myers was a very popular veteran actress also and looked very elegant till her last days. I can imagine from the pics what a beauty she might have been in her hey days.

Harit, could you post the Jag SS pics too please?
Old 27th March 2010, 15:04   #1177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I am very interested if the car behind it (Buick) still survives.
As Harit said the car is safe in a Buick collection in Pune, a real looker too. We had recently discussed the car here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...-republic.html

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-buick04.jpg
Old 28th March 2010, 22:19   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
@ agspins : Picture #6 from the Kolkata series has an American flag on the building. Any idea what institution did it house?

That building is called "Esplanade Mansions" and is an old residential apartment building, now owned by LIC of India. I think the American flag is there because when the photo was taken there used to be an office of an American shipping firm called American Lines on the ground floor of this building. In fact, nothing much has changed today apart from the volume of traffic. The Raj Bhavan gate is still there, as is Esplanade Mansions (a close family friend lives there) and the trams still ply!

Last edited by mbz180 : 28th March 2010 at 22:20.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:55   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
That building is called "Esplanade Mansions" and is an old residential apartment building, now owned by LIC of India. I think the American flag is there because when the photo was taken there used to be an office of an American shipping firm called American Lines on the ground floor of this building. In fact, nothing much has changed today apart from the volume of traffic. The Raj Bhavan gate is still there, as is Esplanade Mansions (a close family friend lives there) and the trams still ply!
Well the pics had a description suggesting it was then American Red cross building and the pic was taken by Yank soldier posted in Kolkata.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:20   #1180
Senior - BHPian

How many can fit in one car ??

Here are some gems I found, Help me identify the cars please..
1) My Dad and his college gang. The car's a Dodge, I think. Dad is on the extreme left, standing.
2) My Grandfather and his extended clan ! The car is almost completely hidden, may be a Plymouth. Grand's third from left, standing, wearing the Hat.
3) A picture I'd posted a while ago. My Grandfather, and his Ford Custom (??)
4) My mom, standing by their neighbour's car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-5-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-6-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-7-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-3-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSelect : 29th March 2010 at 21:21.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 14:02   #1181
Senior - BHPian

This is a 1937 Oldsmobile. Nice car, makes a strong impression with that standing tall grill.
About the lady no clue, but she gives some appearance of confidence and charisma, maybe a star of yore? This Olds later got a BMW registration. They also has a 1940/41 Plymouth. From the other persons around this seems to be a Parsi family.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-oldsmobile.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 30th March 2010 at 14:03.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:11   #1182
Senior - BHPian

This is an MG, with a special body. Maybe a Magna? And do you see any prewar MG's in India with a closed body? Maybe by Tickford? Check the wheel.
Interesting is the background, appears like the view of Mumbai from Kamla Nehru Park. When was that park built? Could not find any info on the net, the Hanging Garden was created in the 19th century.
Also the lady and the gent, she has some resemblance to Devika Rani, who must have been often in Bombay for shooting movies. And the guy looks like a star too. Any ideas?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-mg-03.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 30th March 2010 at 14:17.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:03   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its an MG cause the bodystyle looks very similar to teh Riley Monaco
Old 30th March 2010, 20:30   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Here are some gems I found, Help me identify the cars please..
Nice pix, Ravi. Khupach chan, man khush kele tumi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Prabal but this was a Datsun 1200 coupe not a 120Y. The 120Y was similar but had a sleeker back and looked very sporty.
OK, what if I just call them both Sunnys?!!
Old 30th March 2010, 23:09   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Fiatful memories..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Nice pix, Ravi. Khupach chan, man khush kele tumi!!
Thanks Prabal ! Here are some more..

Bombay to Poona was always an eventful five hour drive. One would invariably stop for pictures, to take in the view, or simply because the ol' girl heated up .

The last picture is me with my first ride. She was red, pedal powered, with working lights and a horn. With chrome bumpers, and "tailfin" styling, complete !
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-4-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSelect : 30th March 2010 at 23:11.
SuperSelect is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks