Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 19:57   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Then try to explain those hubcaps!

Would you believe that there were 2 or 3 such cars in Gujrat? My friend went to buy one for me and when he could not get it he got me an Adler Trumpf which resulted in me buying more Adlers!

I think those guys are right.
I am sorry Harith for questioning your judgment on this. The car in your pictures is most certainly a 1931 Dodge 8 DG.

The hubcaps probably say D8G also here are a few pictures of similar cars.

It is actually just "Dodge" as the Brothers bit was dropped from 1930 onwards under Chrysler ownership.

I stand corrected on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1931_dodge_eightdg.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-31dddgbu.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 21st June 2009 at 19:58.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:32   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I am sorry Harit for questioning your judgment on this. I stand corrected on this.
Arreee Wasifbhai!!!!! When you post like this I do not like this. Do NOT appologise if we do not agree on something, sooner or later one will be proven right. And there will never be gloating.
See, the abandoned sedan which was posted, I thought Vauxhall, now a GM car is identified, so we all cannot be 100% correct. BTW, Vauxhall is/was also GM, but its no Vauxhall.

Something general. I have a lot of pictures of cars unidentified. Identification is quite difficult at times. There are people active on prewarcar.com who really know their onions. They identified a Franklin and many other cars for me. So I send such pictures to them. It took more than a year for them to put that up. We did have some rare cars here in India! I have 3 pitures of a Marmon which used to be in Bombay.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:55   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arreee Wasifbhai!!!!! When you post like this I do not like this. Do NOT appologise if we do not agree on something, sooner or later one will be proven right. And there will never be gloating.
See, the abandoned sedan which was posted, I thought Vauxhall, now a GM car is identified, so we all cannot be 100% correct. BTW, Vauxhall is/was also GM, but its no Vauxhall.

Something general. I have a lot of pictures of cars unidentified. Identification is quite difficult at times. There are people active on prewarcar.com who really know their onions. They identified a Franklin and many other cars for me. So I send such pictures to them. It took more than a year for them to put that up. We did have some rare cars here in India! I have 3 pitures of a Marmon which used to be in Bombay.

Cheers harit
Hi Harit.

One must be able to admit his mistakes and learn from them. No harm in calling a spade a spade.

On another note could you post those pictures of unidentified cars and rare cars withyou for our benefit.

We could spend some interesting times discussing them and in the long run learning a lot about them.

Would love to see the Marmon pictures. Do you have any idea as to what happened with the Bean Tourer that ws available in Hyderabad. That qualifies as an inyeresting / rare car.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:35   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The registration no is BYJ 300X, last digit not visible as the plate is slightly bent.

Cheers harit
As luck would have it, in another lot of pictures just received there is one with full frontal!

And so now I can give the fll registration number, BYJ 3001.
What a coincidence.
But, this number now seems familiar, it rings a bell, but cannot locate the bell. Karl, can you check in your list?

Cheers
harit
Old 25th June 2009, 12:26   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As luck would have it, in another lot of pictures just received there is one with full frontal!

And so now I can give the fll registration number, BYJ 3001.
What a coincidence.
But, this number now seems familiar, it rings a bell, but cannot locate the bell. Karl, can you check in your list?
It really is astounding how other pictures of the same car turn up seperately. And not the first time I think.

The number is not familiar to me. It reminds of BYJ 7007 though, the Bhatena's Standard 9 based 'MB Special'.
Old 28th June 2009, 16:58   #426
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1362517

Well, to continue from the above thread, here's a pic sourced from that Friend's dad (who seems to be an Austin connoisseur of sorts). This Austin A70 Hereford belonged to the erstwhile Governor of Bihar. Note the complete absence of number plates! He doesn't remember who the person in the picture is.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0007.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 10:32   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this beautiful photo of a 54/56 Fiat being used in a wedding procession.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-00.jpg
Old 30th June 2009, 15:05   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl, a lovely clear shot indeed!

BTW, what place is BYB? Being a little more familiar tha nearlier with B'bay presidency regns. I can hazard a guess that it surely can't be Bombay (that was BM*), Pune was BYH, Nagpur BYJ. So BYB was for one of the districts?

Last edited by Stanher : 30th June 2009 at 15:07.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:00   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, what place is BYB? Being a little more familiar tha nearlier with B'bay presidency regns. I can hazard a guess that it surely can't be Bombay (that was BM*), Pune was BYH, Nagpur BYJ. So BYB was for one of the districts?
Search me, you can join the discussion here!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...s-india-6.html

In the meantime, a wonderful historically significant picture posted by veldeep here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1365493-post1723.html
Old 4th July 2009, 18:48   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

A neat picture of 2 English ladies with their car in India, mid to late 30s.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-20199376_3ee60546d3_o.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: Ladies of leisure - 3

Some beautiful pictures from Mahindra archives

Flickr: we.mahindra's Photostream

Some nice pictures of a 2CV driving to India from Amsterdam.

A trip by 2CV4 to India and back home again (1976-1977) Just pics of the car! - a set on Flickr

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th July 2009 at 18:49.
Old 4th July 2009, 19:05   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice looking Plymouth (?), amongst others

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-11.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-12.jpg

Flickr: Captain Nandu Chitnis, Going 2 Sea's Photostream
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 11:33   #432
BHPian

Hi,
after looking at the beautiful Old Fiat picture I recalled my Uncle's Fiat car.The photo was taken in early 60s at Tata Nagar(Jamshedpur,Bihar).

I have attached the image for you all to see.

Uday
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0002.jpg  

Old 6th July 2009, 11:36   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

A real treat this time

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mrt-1232-maharashtra-commuk.jpg

This picture was graciously forwarded to me by fellow numberplate enthusiast sabinesnubbing.

It appears to be a (rather stylish) Škoda bus plying the streets of Bombay (Gowalia tank route) in the 60s/70s. What's more interesting is it appeared to sport roof mounted cabling like a tram. A little googling tells us this is a 'trolley bus' that ran on electricity. Does anyone remember these, and whether there were more of them?

Bombay was such an advanced city at the time - wonder where we lost the plot.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 11:58   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A real treat this time

Attachment 154971

This picture was graciously forwarded to me by fellow numberplate enthusiast sabinesnubbing.

It appears to be a (rather stylish) Škoda bus plying the streets of Bombay (Gowalia tank route) in the 60s/70s. What's more interesting is it appeared to sport roof mounted cabling like a tram. A little googling tells us this is a 'trolley bus' that ran on electricity. Does anyone remember these, and whether there were more of them?
That is a lovely picture

I had no idea Bombay had trolley busses. Perhaps this was a short lived experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Bombay was such an advanced city at the time - wonder where we lost the plot.
This is what happens when greed and shortsightedness win over proper long term planning.

Aditya
Old 6th July 2009, 12:05   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Some treasured photos of Nehru in a 47/8 Buick cabrio and Indira Gandhi in a Chevy of some sort.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-jln_pataskar_car.jpg

Rajbhavan MP : Photo Gallery Former Governors

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-indira_gandhi_car_20070820.jpg

crazey pavan: Indira Gandhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks